Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Shadowrun teaser? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadowrun teaser?  (Read 34697 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: May 03, 2006, 10:40:28 PM

The domain name www.shadowrun.com is redirecting people to a FASA Studio splash page that looks like this (shrunk down):

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 10:43:04 PM

Yeah, but it's a shooter though, right?  undecided
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 10:45:09 PM

Yes, that's what the various sites reporting this are saying.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 10:55:09 PM

And it looks like an xbox title, not a 360 one. Blurgle.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 08:52:29 AM

So close to a "giggity" there.  I only played first ed. Shadworun, but it was loads of fun.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 08:56:41 AM

So close to a "giggity" there.  I only played first ed. Shadworun, but it was loads of fun.

But this one will probably just be another shallow shooter (look what happened to 40k titles or Fallout). One made by Microsoft at that.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 10:03:17 AM

Damn. My Shadowrun inner fanboy nearly messed his pants.

Maybe this will be a giant success and lead to a RPG? I can hope...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:08:09 AM

Hopefully they'll fix the PnP mechanics. 
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:52:39 AM

From Firing Squad:

E3 2006: Shadowrun Game Confirmed For PC

We have arrived in Los Angeles and just finished making a quickie tour of the downtown convention center as preparations are still underway for getting it ready for the exhibit halls to open for E3 this Wednesday. Just inside the lobby of the South Hall were signs attached to support beams for several games that will be on display at Microsoft's Games for Windows exhibit and one of them was none other than for Shadowrun, the long rumored adaptation of the cyberpunk pen-and-paper RPG. Since it's attached to the Games For Windows exhibit we have to assume it's coming for the PC (some rumors of a Shadowrun game had it as an Xbox 360 only title). We will be posting up some pictures we took outside and inside the LA Convention Center shortly.

Since some of you are interested.

I don't even know what a Shadowrun is.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 08:54:33 AM

Cyberpunk with elves.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 08:57:20 AM

Cyberpunk with elves.

It's a lot cooler than it sounds.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 09:10:59 AM

Cyberpunk with elves, orcs, dwarves, humans, AND magic then?  wink
WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:30:46 AM

Don't forget giant handfuls of 6 sided dice. Rolling damage on a big spell/shot was pure joy.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 01:12:33 PM

If I wanted to roll gobs of six-sided dice, I'd play Champions :D Punching enemies through walls and sucking up rocket launcher shots to the chest.  Now that's gameplay.
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 01:20:55 PM

Knockback ftw! That is one thing that CoH totally missed the boat on IMHO.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 02:03:41 PM

Don't forget trolls.  Big, brainless trolls that could carry gunnery normally only mounted to vehicles.  I loved playing big and stupid.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 01:15:36 PM

Apparently we're looking at a Jan 2007 release.

Just now at the Microsoft Press Conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo it was revealed that Shadowrun will launch with Windows new operating system Vista in January 2007.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 01:26:13 PM

It will come out for the Vista launch?  Hah, is that like saying "Don't hold your breath?"  or "Yes, the game is under development.  Really."

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 01:28:22 PM

"In my country, OS crashes game!"

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 07:36:25 PM

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 07:38:58 PM by MrHat »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 11:12:51 PM

Looking at those screenshots I'm a little disappointed that they didn't go with a more urban setting (or at the very least they just haven't shown off any screenshots of anything in an urban setting).  These screenshots just did not make me think of Shadowrun.  Not seeing much in the way of non-humans or any sort of visible cyberware either.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 08:46:01 AM

Given one of the side's dress and the style of decor, I would say that is all in an Aztechnology building.  Hopefully we'll get some other scenery and metahumans soon.

(I do wish this was more than a shooter, but maybe they'll turn this into a franchise and we can get the RPG one day.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 04:27:43 PM

After a brief perusal of the now online shadowrun.com I have to ask where are the FUCKING SHADOWRUNS!!!  I wanted to steal corporate data and prototypes, assassinate gang leaders, and get jumped in the middle of a crowded street, and get paid not to care what the backstory is.  between the glowing trees, the glowing fetish, and the glowing ambient light there aren't even any shadows WTF.  No shadows!  No runs!  God damn MS.

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 05:59:28 PM

IGN has a trailer.

Maybe the combat will be fun, but this just really doesn't seem like a Shadowrun game.  Certainly this isn't the kind of storyline I'd start off with if I wanted to build up a new Shadowrun video game franchise.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 06:08:15 PM

Having looked at the screenies, i can honestly say that this looks nothing like what i would, um.... expect Shadowrun to look like. It reminds me more of Unreal Tournament more than anything else. And while i realise that there has to be a certain percentage of 'let's show off our not-really-any-more-detailed-than-any-other-game-but-oh-so-shiny-engine', but come on. Where's the urban decay at dammit.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 06:08:49 AM

I can't fully express how disappointed I am with this, the required profanity has yet to be invented.  That's not shadowrun though.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 06:13:44 AM

Having looked at the screenies, i can honestly say that this looks nothing like what i would, um.... expect Shadowrun to look like. It reminds me more of Unreal Tournament more than anything else. And while i realise that there has to be a certain percentage of 'let's show off our not-really-any-more-detailed-than-any-other-game-but-oh-so-shiny-engine', but come on. Where's the urban decay at dammit.
There's plenty of urban decay in the cinematic teaser but that thing has, uh, other issues.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 06:56:56 AM

Ok, just saw the trailer. Why is the tribe of red-pantsed elves taking the blue flag?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 07:54:53 AM

I can't fully express how disappointed I am with this, the required profanity has yet to be invented.  That's not shadowrun though.

What exactly is it missing, for you, or anyone else for that matter?  The RPG side of it?

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 08:09:27 AM

What exactly is it missing, for you, or anyone else for that matter?  The RPG side of it?

It doesn't look at all like a Shadowrun game to people who have played the PnP game.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 09:05:07 AM

It looks like Unreal Tournament capture the flag with elves.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 11:09:17 AM

Everyone I've talked to about this game has had the exact same reaction.

"Holy shit, new Shadowrun?  Yeah, fucking sweet!  Wait, what?  Oh, it's a shooter.  Oh.  Well, um, whatever.  Maybe they'll make an RPG eventually."

Way to go, Microsoft.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
StGabe
Terracotta Army

Bruce without the furry.

Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 06:14:05 PM

This was really the only shooter at E3 that I was interested in.  It looked pretty fun actually.  The scenario they were running (which is presumably a small subset of the world) had a surprising amount of story for an FPS.  I foreget the details, I'm not a Shadowrun fanboi, but basically it was about two corporations (teams) where one was trying to horde major artifacts of the world and another was trying to steal them / prevent the first corp from controlling them.  It wasn't the sort of thing where you can respawn either.  Once dead you stayed dead although teams seemed to be able to collect a certain allotment of "extra lives" (I think this was a form of handicapping but it wasn't clear).  So the scenario ended in a few minutes either with the artifact successfully captured and stolen or the stealing team eliminated.

The game is somewhat RPG'like.  Choosing your race seems to be pretty important and you start with and earn money to buy enhancements, magic, weapons, etc.  The person I was talking to stressed that the magic was very environmental.  He said that you won't be shooting fireballs or lightning bolts at anyone.  Magic that I saw included growing a tree in the middle of the battlefield, ressurecting a teammate and teleporting through walls.  Enhancements that I saw included a very cool effect for enhanced vision which allowed the player to see opponents through walls and a glider that allowed very efficient gliding through the walls.  There was a lot of jumping off of cliffs, to then teleport through a wall, and glide to a landing.  It was very hard to follow the play at first although I got used to it.

Anyway, I'm not really an FPS fan but I thought the game did look promising.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 11:38:24 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 02:07:33 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Shadowrun teaser?  
Jump to: