Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Chronicles of Riddick 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chronicles of Riddick  (Read 7369 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 14, 2004, 01:48:44 AM

Quote from: Alkiera
(Everything I've read of 40k makes humanity+whatevers to be complete freaking idiots.  I have a very hard time swallowing the 'automated factories make everything so no one knows how to make anything anymore, and can barely manage to get the stuff to function once it's made' premise.  The average human may be that stupid, but today's average is apparently MENSA material in WH40k.)

Just to hijack for a second you havent really gotten very far into the true deapth of 40k background.  It isnt so much the fact that they dont know how to repair the stuff (chances are, a good many of them do, specificly the "tech-priests" whos job it is to maintain a units equipment), it is that the human society is so utterly insanely bound by their incredibly heavy religious indoctrination that the very THOUGHT of messing with their tech is practically a heresy punishable by death.

These people take the worship of their Emperor as a god-being to extents that modern day religious zelots wouldnt even dream of.  The technology is holy, as decreed by the Emperor, "you do not mess with the design of the bolt rifle because the Emperor has decreed it to be just fine the way it is!"

Hell, the way 40k religious zelotry is set up, their unwillingness to tamper with existing tech due to religious dogma has probably set their culture back dozens of generations technologicly.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 14, 2004, 03:49:11 AM

The point being in 40K, if you DONT have total relgious fanatics running the place you WILL get daemons from a fate worse than death, giving you a fate worse than death.

Total obedience and virus bombinb entire planets to save humanity in general is probably a good idea when one person with a liberal idea can increase the szie of the eye of terror  few 100 light years...

'Corse, thats what the Inquiestion just WANTS you to think.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #37 on: June 14, 2004, 04:51:34 AM

Quote from: SurfD
The technology is holy, as decreed by the Emperor, "you do not mess with the design of the bolt rifle because the Emperor has decreed it to be just fine the way it is!"

The Emperor sounds like he works for SOE. "Working as intended", and whatnot.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 14, 2004, 07:17:44 AM

Did anyone else have thoughts of Max Payne pop into their head during the narratives?
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 15, 2004, 10:34:16 AM

I haven't seen the movie yet but I found parts of http://www.ericdsnider.com/view.php?mrkey=2013">this interview amusing.

First, though, Riddick has to go to a prison planet called Crematoria to rescue a friend/nemesis named Kyra (Alexa Davalos). It is on Crematoria that the film's dumbest events occur, all centering around the planet's curious weather patterns: It is 700 degrees during the day, -300 at night. People are incinerated the instant sunlight touches them, yet for some reason, no one needs so much as a sweater at night, when it's -300.

Also, you can escape the deadly heat if you hide in the outcropping of a rock or in some other shady place. You'd think that when it's 700 degrees out, it would still be, oh, maybe 690 in the shade. But no. On Crematoria, when it's high noon and people are bursting into flames before your eyes, you're nice and comfortable as long as the sun isn't hitting you directly. Such egregious ignorance of the way weather works has not been displayed since ... well, a couple weeks ago, when "The Day After Tomorrow" came out.

I did find the sequence in Day After Tomorrow amusing. What a great action movie when your characters are trying to outrun "cold".
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 15, 2004, 10:43:11 AM

The problem with this person's commentary is that they are morons. They never go out at night.They move with the terminus, right with dawn basically, the theory being that the temperature is in a rare tolerable state.

As for the hiding in the shadows, it makes it clear that only works for a few moments. It was never high noon in the movie, it was early dawn, as in the sun was just starting to come over mountaintops and that is why they could still hide because in essence they were still out of the sun.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 16, 2004, 08:39:49 AM

The concept of the planet being hospitable at any time with a breathable atmosphere is ludicrous, but it made for a fun chase/fight scene.  Crematoria was no more silly than the monsters in pitch black surviving on an otherwise dead planet.  Sometimes what works best on the screen is physically impossible.

If a person 10 feet from you is combusting in the sun, the air from that hot region would be blasting towards you and the cool air around you at gale force speeds incinerating you as well.  The reviewer was wrong in many details as Riggs pointed out, but the concept that the action in these scenes and the world itself is impossible is quite true.

All that said, I still found it a fun action scene.  I usually have problems accepting really stupid scenes, but if I like it in context then I don't mind.  I hated both Mummy movies with a raving passion, but found Chronicles of Riddick fun.  It is meant to be insane and over the top.  It fits the character.

Riddick is a comic book movie that was somehow made before the comic actually came out.  Spiderman can make parachutes and fucking hang gliders out of his webbing during a free fall.  Why?  Because he can.  No matter how stupid it is.  Yet no matter how many times he does this, he still pretends in his head that he will die if he loses his grip to whatever while high up in the air.  Any attempt to inject logic and physics into a comic book is foolhardy.

Go into it with a mentality that Riddick is a comic book anti-hero.  Because he is.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 16, 2004, 11:50:25 AM

I saw this last night and it was a fun movie. Of course the crematoria outrunning daylight thing was silly but how many movies do you see folks outrunning things like explosions, fire, or in day after tomorrow the heros outran cold.

The odd thing is the part that kinda amused me more than the outrunning daylight is the smoldering that the bounty hunter ship was doing because it was 700 degrees outside. I am sorry if your ship can survive reentry into an atmosphere 700 degrees is jack.

I went into the movie expecting a good fun action flick and that is what I got.

kaid
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Chronicles of Riddick  
Jump to: