Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:44:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Superhero religions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Superhero religions  (Read 4505 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

on: April 07, 2006, 02:42:57 PM

Ok - should probably be in useless news but I thought it was too funny...

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 03:36:51 PM

The Thing      Jewish

I'd hate to have been that Moyle.

Wolverine      former atheist

Err.. ok. And now?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:00:29 PM

Wolverine  |  Logan |  X-Men |  Marvel |  was atheist; has practiced Buddhism; believes in God

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:08:54 AM

Ok - should probably be in useless news but I thought it was too funny...

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

Someone just posted that on the CoH boards, I noticed it for the first time like... yesterday.  Weird to see it here, too.

There's one in there that made my head explode- was listed as "Jewish Neo-Nazi".

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 10:05:03 AM

The list of Jewish Super Heroes is weak sauce. Except, ya know...

My boy, Mordechai Jefferson Carver.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 01:12:20 PM

There are a few things in that list that bothered me.

For one, almost none of the heroes are listed as Atheist.  There is a HUGE majority of religious heroes.  That wouldn't bother me so much, except....

It assumes that most villains ARE atheist.  For instance, it lists the Joker as atheist because he's never brought up religion. Wha-huh?

I also found it odd that Green Arrow is listed as agnostic when the dude has personally been to and toured Heaven.

And I notice that J. J. Jameson's religion is listed as "Hates Spider-Man".

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 08:59:14 AM

For one, almost none of the heroes are listed as Atheist.

Yeah, that struck me as a bit wierd, too.  I don't have THAT many comic books, but I do have the Iron Man one it cites on the page there, wherein he basically is talking to a goddess and flat out SAYS (over the course of like, a half page monologue, so it's not some passing remark or something) "I don't believe in gods, I believe in science" but the page still lists him as "quietly secular/agnostic."

I also found it odd that Green Arrow is listed as agnostic when the dude has personally been to and toured Heaven.

In the bit about Nightwing there's a fair amount of text about this.  Not about Green Arrow specifically, but about the idea that superheroes in general are ALWAYS running into gods and demons and wierd dimensional entities calling themselves such, and just because they know something exists doesn't mean they automatically follow it as a religion.  Otherwise all the Avengers would have to be Norse Pagans or Fucking Morons.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 03:12:11 PM

Heh.

Loki Did It.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:16:05 PM

For one, almost none of the heroes are listed as Atheist.

Except, of course:

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Superhero religions  
Jump to: