Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Why is roleplaying so gay? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why is roleplaying so gay?  (Read 72189 times)
Rhonstet
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 03, 2006, 09:03:39 AM

RP can't exist in a static world.  Why should I try to get into the head of my Tauren Druid when the evil in Wailing Caverns is just going to respawn after I leave?  RP requires a sense of accomplishment beyond experience points and shiny. 

We now return to your regularly scheduled foolishness, already in progress.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #71 on: June 03, 2006, 09:29:05 AM

If being the victor of heroic combat is what you want to RP, then that's true to some extent - claiming to be the mighty Orc who finally took down Baron Longshore won't have teeth otherwise. However, you can certainly RP (almost anything else) in a world of respawning mobs. However, player as individual and unique hero in world content is another problem altogether.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 03, 2006, 09:09:04 PM

Two sites I shall never take down, no matter how embarassing they may be. Beware Angelfire popups....

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/slyfeind/sly.html
That one was made about a month before the UO open beta. (Damn memories....) You will notice that nothing on that page has anything to do with UO's gameplay. None of it was exercised while I was playing the game, either.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/slyfeind/chinwa.html
That one was made about six months into AC live. You may notice that nothing on that site has nothing to do with AC's gameplay. Everything there is a direct reaction to what the game engine or fellow players were doing...including my character's parents. I got so freakin' sick of all the orphans running around, that I used a character slot to make my character's mother. She gained levels just by using the cooking and alchemy skills.

Everything in AC that's gamey, is explained in the game's fiction. Monsters spawn because of the same magic that allow quick travel to players. Nobody dies because of the lifestones, which appeared after Thorsten Cragstone died in battle against the Olthoi.

It honestly pissed me off when people roleplayed death in AC.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 04, 2006, 07:56:46 AM

RP can't exist in a static world.  Why should I try to get into the head of my Tauren Druid when the evil in Wailing Caverns is just going to respawn after I leave?  RP requires a sense of accomplishment beyond experience points and shiny. 
It is a matter of selectively tweaking the story and setting to fit your character.  This is not for the benefit of others, ultimately it is for your benefit.

One way is to say you woke Naralax and now the Barrens can recover properly but of course it will be slower than had he remained dreaming but uncorrupted.  If you decide to go back to WC then ignore it as far as your story goes, think of it as cleaning out the remnants of the Fang, or treat it as a flashback to when you saved him previously.

The thing about being a serious roleplayer is that there are always going to be events that pull you out of the experience, whether it is people talking out-of-character, stupid names, repeating content or what have you.  You have to learn how to take those and either twist them to fit, make them work like an alternative way, or ignore them outright.

I will use whichever makes the most sense to me at the time, although my favorite is to tackle them in a tongue-in-cheek way that has my character taking them seriously but shows I'm having a sense of humor about it.  Given the right situation it also flusters non-RPers, which I take as a bonus.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Why is roleplaying so gay?  
Jump to: