Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: ...both T-rated and M-rated games contain significant amounts of violence. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ...both T-rated and M-rated games contain significant amounts of violence.  (Read 3148 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 05, 2006, 04:01:16 AM

SHOCKING.

You want to read this.

We created a database of all 147 M-rated video game titles scheduled for release on the major video game consoles (Xbox [Microsoft Corporation, Redmond], GameCube [Nintendo of America, Redmond], and PlayStation 2 [Sony Computer Entertainment America, Foster City, Calif]) in the United States by April 1, 2004. Using data from the ESRB1 and several video game Web sites,16-18 we verified the release of each game title, recorded the ESRB-assigned content descriptors, and classified each game title by 1 of 10 primary genres.

We randomly selected 25% (n = 37) of the 147 M-rated video game titles to play. However, given the postponed release of Painkiller until 2006, we played only 36 games. All of the games played remain available for sale or rental. When possible, we purchased or rented the games with their original game manuals intact. For consistency, a research assistant with considerable video-gaming experience played the entire random sample of video games and recorded all game play on DVD for later coding. The player first read the manual and played the game to become familiar with the game features, then restarted the video game from the beginning and recorded at least 1 hour of game play, including any required game introductions and setup.

A complete recipe for missing the point. I love it.

It's actually pretty specific on what they saw, but I don't see a real point to the study. They're Rated M games. They weren't made for kids. Kids don't deserve them yet. Kind of like alcohol, jobs, tobacco and sex. It's not for them. Why study it? It seems like a complete waste of money and time to me. But then, most studies do. Enjoy!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24:38 AM

It's actually pretty specific on what they saw, but I don't see a real point to the study. They're Rated M games. They weren't made for kids. Kids don't deserve them yet. Kind of like alcohol, jobs, tobacco and sex. It's not for them. Why study it? It seems like a complete waste of money and time to me. But then, most studies do. Enjoy!
I think the point is is that some parents care what the "adult" content is and might allow their kids to view/listen to it if it's of the appropriate type or more accurately if there's none of the non-appropriate types. The non-video gaming example is R-rated movies -- a lot of parents will let their kids watch, say, violent R movies but if it has any nudity in it -- no fricking way (or vice versa)! So assuming parents do the same with video games (and I have no idea if they do) then accurate labeling is important.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:02:44 AM

The word parent is mentioned one time in the entire study.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 08:04:20 AM

Oh goddamnit. Now it's down.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:59:40 AM

From working at EB I'm jaded about the ESRB rating system. And stupid people.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:32:38 AM

Schild, just go do video game studies!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 02:06:59 PM

Their point is that the ESRB fine-grained ratings for different types of content are often incomplete. The end.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: ...both T-rated and M-rated games contain significant amounts of violence.  
Jump to: