Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Cheddar MIA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheddar MIA  (Read 9773 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

on: March 30, 2006, 02:06:17 PM

Just to give you guys a heads up, I am a wee bit burned out on EQ2 (obviously).  I will still be running my vendor off and on, but I will be taking a sojourn from the game for now.  I re-activated my WoW account and am currently tooling around in it.   wink

My character in WoW is named "Arzhel" and resides on Emerald Dream.  Lemme know if you decide to join me there!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:13:55 PM

No biggie, all our community guilds end like this.  Most of us have Video Game ADD.  I'll probably go find another guild soon.

"Me am play gods"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:15:51 PM

I'm in and out, but also a little burned out. Then there's the girlfriend quality time issue, so I get in when I can.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:30:47 PM

For me the burnout was hitting 30.  I went to the enchanted lands and started questing there, and it fealt just like level 1, 10, and 20.  I am keeping my account active as I am a firm believer in voting with my wallet, and EQ2 deserves support to continue its innovations.  Only thing that sucks about jumping to a new game is being alone. :( 

That and people saying "O RLY???///forwardslash" 

That shit depresses me.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 03:00:21 PM

Hmm. For me post 30 has been better than pre-30.  The quests are actually rewarding.  The places to visit are more interesting to visit. People are more intrested in grouping.  You don't have kill yard trash in EL but its good money if you need it. Actually I still need to do many of the Zek quests so I could do them with you.

"Me am play gods"
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:54:35 AM

Early 30's start to get fun once you can start grouping in Runnyeye. It's a fun dungeon and pretty much every group I'm in crawls it rather than camps static spawns. You basically crawl through until you wipe then start over and try and get deeper. You level like crazy in there as well. If you have vitality a 2 hour dungeon crawl is going to get you at least one or more levels. The loot there is also VERY good with regular named spawns throughout the dungeon that usually drop at least legendary gear and often masters.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 08:12:06 AM

I don't play as often as I did for a while but it's nothing to do with the game, really.  While it's never been compelling for me, just rather pleasant when I play, it's a decent game and hitting 30 gave it a bit of a boost for me.  Maybe it's whatever class you're playing, Ched, but Monk is pretty good post 30 so far.  I enjoy the game from time to time, but it wouldn't take much to drag me away.  You guys know me... I try everything, even if it sounds daft like Auto Assult. (dreadful game)  I do, however, draw the line at cutsey Asian games.  Killing jelly beans makes me nervous.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 08:30:29 AM

I found I got demotivated at every tenth level or "tier".  You ding 20, 30 or 40 and you have to buy all new, much more expensive gear.  The spells cost more.  The fuel for tradeskilling goes up in price about 10 times.  You enter the new zones and are killing bugs again. You are too low level to get into good groups.  You have to go back into old zones to bring up your stupid harvesting levels to be able to gather stuff in the new zones.

Forty really sucked because both Everfrost and Lavastorm are entirely group oriented, they did not go back over those zones to make them more solo friendly.  You have to buy Desert of Flames to find good solo content 40+.

I'd usually go away for a little while, then come back and just explore to rekindle my interest in playing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:12 AM

I'll probably be cancelling in a few days, as well. I haven't had much urge or time to play.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 11:33:52 AM

I got hit by Oblivion. I plan on heading back to EQ2 at some point, because I was having fun and I left with a ton of shit lined up for my SK to do. But then, it's almost summer time and I don't get much gaming in during those months, so....see you next October! :)
Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 12:50:05 PM

I am keeping my account active as I am a firm believer in voting with my wallet, and EQ2 deserves support to continue its innovations.

I haven't played EQ2 but am considering:  What sort of innovations?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 02:44:12 PM

I am keeping my account active as I am a firm believer in voting with my wallet, and EQ2 deserves support to continue its innovations.

It unfucked itself enough that it's almost a completely different game over a year after release. Yet, it did so in an un-SOE-NGE fashion. Lots of content and quests, the adventure pack merchandising.

Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 03:15:16 PM

It unfucked itself enough that it's almost a completely different game over a year after release. Yet, it did so in an un-SOE-NGE fashion. Lots of content and quests, the adventure pack merchandising.

Okay, so just to clarify here - we're talking more 'positive innovations on what EQ2 started out as' rather than 'innovations for the genre as a whole'?  Though the adventure pack merchandising does strike me as nifty.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 09:36:51 PM

Okay, so just to clarify here - we're talking more 'positive innovations on what EQ2 started out as' rather than 'innovations for the genre as a whole'?  Though the adventure pack merchandising does strike me as nifty.

Yes.  As far as straight up DIKU no PVP EQ2 wins balls down.  Period. 

Hartsman is a wonderful director who delivers in a beautiful manner.  He should be praised more than he is.

BUT.  Its DIKU.  diku

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 12:19:07 PM

For me the burnout was hitting 30.  I went to the enchanted lands and started questing there, and it fealt just like level 1, 10, and 20.

Probably my biggest complaint about the game is the lack of variety in the monsters they have you kill and the fact that I'm almost lv. 50 and still killing wildlife.  I got a quest in Everfrost (lv. 40ish) to kill sheep.  The first quests you get in DoF have you killing crocs, snakes, and spiders.  You'll still be killing gnolls, orcs, and skeletons into at least your 50's.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 12:23:11 PM

But thats partial because you guys are soloists and spend most of your time outdoors.

"Me am play gods"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 12:30:10 PM

But thats partial because you guys are soloists and spend most of your time outdoors.

Even indoors you still get a lot of the same basic mobs.  Of the two dungeons I've done most recently, once was mostly populated with orcs, and the other had a large amount of skeletons and gnolls.

Edit:  And really it's not so much that I'm a soloist as it is that I prefer leveling up through quests rather than running the same dungeons over and over which is what most groups seem to be about in EQ2.  If I wanted to repeat dungeon content that much I'd still be playing WoW.  There are quests for some of the HQ's usually being run, but I don't always have the time or the attention span to commit to a group for a quest that will likely take a few hours.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:37:59 PM by Velorath »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 01:02:44 PM

I canceled today. I'll probably go back to WoW for the PVP in a week or two.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 01:10:33 PM

I canceled today. I'll probably go back to WoW for the PVP in a week or two.

I thought the detox was successful?  Someone obviously needs to board up that crackhouse.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 01:17:55 PM

Well, I do have Planetside as well. Free is good, even when the game is only mediocre.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 07:00:26 AM

I'm still enjoying the game, when I play, but I'm thinking of playing CoH/V for a bit.  I always end up missing that game after being away a few months.  I can do both, really.  Just be understanding if, when I'm grouped with you, I yell, "up, up and away" sometimes.  Not that anyone bothers to ever group anymore.  God, I'm in a terrible mood today!!  Just ignore me while snark up f13.  It's not my fault, I'm sure.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 07:36:31 AM

Yeah, what the fuck is wrong with you? Back of the bus, bitches.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 09:07:03 AM

Yeah, what the fuck is wrong with you? Back of the bus, bitches.
In my defence, I did notice that the box said EQ2 on it, so I wasn't expecting a single player game.

My main issue with EQ2 is it has many group quests, but quests by their very nature are anti-qroup.  Something needs to be added so people have incentive to help others with their quests.  I got half-way through the crook HQ last night before the group fell apart, odds are now that I never complete it until its trival and useless.

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 09:13:19 AM

Well, I do have Planetside as well. Free is good, even when the game is only mediocre.

Well, ya got me there.  Just don't use dirty needles.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 10:46:57 AM

EQ2's quests can be DDO-like if you have a regular group. Well, DDO-like may be going overboard, but there are lots of good heroic quests that require a group that will lead you to fun zones. The problem is that the game also has a ton of solo quests that are fun so it is hard for some not to outlevel others.

I have never played WoW.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 03:05:27 PM

My main issue with EQ2 is it has many group quests, but quests by their very nature are anti-qroup. 

There are two problems with heroic quests:

1) The rewards for completing heroic quests typically aren't that much better than those for completing solo quests.  It's easier just to skip all the heroic stuff.

2) EQ2 actually has a lot of quests these days.  So many in fact, that the chances of finding a group working on several of the same quests as you are pretty slim.  The best solution to me would have been to just have heroic quests in dungeons or instances. 

Also cut down on spawn camping for HQs.  I was doing part of one HQ in RoV that required killing a placeholder mob, until the named spawned.  So you kill the placerholder and 15 minutes later either he respawns or the named spawns.  If the placeholder respawns you kill him and wait another 15 minutes and repeat until the named spawns.  We were stuck in one room for over an hour killing the same mob until the named spawned, and in that time half the group left or went afk for a half an hour (the mobs were grey at this point anyway).  And that was just for one part of the quest.  Why wasn't that kind of shit just left back in EQ1?
Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 08:25:51 PM

Also cut down on spawn camping for HQs.  I was doing part of one HQ in RoV that required killing a placeholder mob, until the named spawned.  So you kill the placerholder and 15 minutes later either he respawns or the named spawns.  If the placeholder respawns you kill him and wait another 15 minutes and repeat until the named spawns.  We were stuck in one room for over an hour killing the same mob until the named spawned, and in that time half the group left or went afk for a half an hour (the mobs were grey at this point anyway).  And that was just for one part of the quest.  Why wasn't that kind of shit just left back in EQ1?

I wonder if the following questions ever went through the dev's head:

1.  Why a placeholder mob?  Why not just the named mob?

2.  Why 15 minutes?  Why not one minute?

I mean, it's one thing to argue that it should be changed, and it certainly should... but it just baffles me to think what sort of dev mindset would have produced that state of affairs in the first place.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 09:46:40 PM

I wonder if the following questions ever went through the dev's head:

1.  Why a placeholder mob?  Why not just the named mob?

2.  Why 15 minutes?  Why not one minute?

I mean, it's one thing to argue that it should be changed, and it certainly should... but it just baffles me to think what sort of dev mindset would have produced that state of affairs in the first place.

It's the same mindset that thinks fighting lv. 40 sheep is what epic fantasy is all about.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 07:14:19 AM

Worse than the placeholder mobs, is the quests never tell you how trigger them.  So you could literally spend days killing things to find the trigger without spoilers.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 09:50:31 AM

EQ2 had some good quests, and then in the midst of all that, it repeated quest dynamics from EQ1 like the placeholder spawns or the "kill 50 mobs to make one mob spawn" thing. Those sucked ass.

It's automap feature also sucked copious amounts of ass. It was almost as useless as just not having a map.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 02:08:12 PM

*cough* f13 corp in EvE still exists although activity is low while everyone tools around in Oblivion, act now before we get our shit together and move to scary lawless space where newbs cannot venture.  P.S.  there is a 14day free trial you really don't have to mine to make money, if you check it out just join channel F13 to chat w/ us *endcough*

:-D

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: April 07, 2006, 04:46:53 PM

EVE bored me to death in beta.  It's like a slightly interactive screensaver to me.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 07, 2006, 08:42:00 PM

Bah, we all said that back in beta.

Like EQ2, it has changed quite a bit.

Unlike EQ2, there's more than one thing to do. Including, oddly enough (to me), playing it like EQ2 :)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #33 on: April 07, 2006, 11:23:55 PM

Bah, we all said that back in beta.

As they say, that's the problem with first impressions.  You only get to make one.  Nothing I've heard since has overcome the distaste I have of that game.  I especially like how they rope you guys in with the offline skill advancement to make sure you keep those subscriptions active even if you have not intention of playing for the next several months.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 08, 2006, 07:41:39 AM

I hear ya man. There's a long list of titles I'll never ever bother picking up again (including things like Neocron, AO, AC2 heh, etc.). I generally check out an MMO again if one of two (or both) things happen:

1) My interests change. 2005 was about diku for me. 2006 has so far, not so much (Eve being just one example).
2) The game changes. EQ2 has certainly done that from launch. SWG also. Others just get more-of-the-same-ish. I'd say Eve has very much changed, but then, it's also because unlike my prior two runs through it, I'm specifically focusing on combat and missions for eventual Corp/Alliance defense.

It's a virtual lifestyle experience. I'm into that right now. Last time for me was 2003 when I went from SWG for a fun Star Warsy game to playing socioeconomics because combat sucked :)

Funny thing about offline skill-upping: they continue to be learned even with an inactive account. Have a 30 day skill to learn (not sure those exist as longest I've seen is 15)? Cancel the account for a month ;) Seriously though, skill-upping is not what the game is about really. It's why it's so opposite diku. You set your skills to go up and then go play the game. Skills at level 1 can be 20 minutes to an hour. Skills at level 5 (max) can be 5 to 7 days.

But there's no activity to skills, no thing to go autoattack for an hour to min/max a template. The biggest decision is in the order of having them go up (like, instead of three skills from levels 1 to 5 in that order, go Skill 1 levels 1 to 3, Skill 2 levels 1 to 3, etc). Most times level 5 is not an absolute requirement, since skillups are all incremental bonuses (+2%, +5%) or prereqs.

In all seriousness though, not trying to convince ya. Eve is not the sort of game to just jump in and check out for an hour :)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Cheddar MIA  
Jump to: