Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:59:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Another Factions preview starting tomorrow March 24th at midnight Pacific Time 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Factions preview starting tomorrow March 24th at midnight Pacific Time  (Read 21147 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: March 23, 2006, 07:11:05 AM

http://www.guildwars.com/events/ingame/factionspreview.php

You don't need to have purchased the game to try out the preview. There's also a Factions cinematic here:

http://www.guildwars.com/gallery/video/default.php
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:22:09 AM

Hm, cool. I may check it out.  I had fun the first time.  Hope we get some different templates made available, though.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:27:11 AM

I'll be playing this weekend.

I hope they did something about that Ra/A build that can stun-lock someone.  Stun-locking has no place in PvP.  Interupts are bad enough.

"Me am play gods"
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:31:30 AM

I'll be there.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:34:28 AM

As will I. Maybe get you that guild invite, Mes.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 07:20:23 AM

Holy FUCK the Factions battles are fun. I still don't know all the mechanics of taking and controlling towns as our guild leader's not logged on yet but fuck a bunch of Heroe's Ascent. Alot like AB in WoW except MUCH faster paced and chaotic. Stupidly fun.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:45:47 AM

Damn you people without jobs.  I'm not event sure I can get on tonight without drawing huge wife aggro.

-Numtini
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 07:59:29 AM

Trade you my Crohn's Disease for your job?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 10:25:00 AM

How get to them?  It lacks documention.  I played some before work but all I found was a bunch of pve quests. Assasins still pwn :( Ritualists are still ineffective. :(

"Me am play gods"
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 10:42:43 AM

I've seen some scary ritualists.

You have two choices:

1) Take a Factions PvE character through either the helping the Luxons or Kurzens quest. There's a guy whose title is Alliance Battles. Take to him. Or, one of your existing toons take to the Guild Hall and you'll find a battle rep there.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 11:08:22 AM

I tried it, then remembered why I stopped playing.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 11:47:29 AM

Whats the moral here?  Stay on the Alzheimers meds?

-Numtini
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:47:56 AM

Whats the moral here?  Stay on the Alzheimers meds?

You can't go home again, Thomas Wolfe.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 11:50:30 AM

The community is still ass. PvE is still sort of meh. I find it's a good game so long as I don't play the fuck out of it. I treat it just as I would treat a FPS: good for some quick PvP action.
Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 12:00:42 PM

Wait, so, uh, infopls?

I played GW up to 20, found it fun, never did anything uber in it.

Does this mean that there's now a GW PvP "world", beyond instanced landscape and then tiny arenas?

Or are the city battles simply glorified arena battles, with 16 vs 16 sides or something?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 02:01:26 PM

Nope. It's still the same game but they've added some new features with the expansion pack. The website can do a better job of explaining than I can.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 03:03:06 PM

How get to them?  It lacks documention.  I played some before work but all I found was a bunch of pve quests. Assasins still pwn :( Ritualists are still ineffective. :(

You unlock 100 skill?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 08:10:18 AM

I finally when rt/prot so I could turtle when I came under attack.  After which things were better, but just okay.

So I played a couple dozen rounds of the faction arena. The two issues:  It changes the balance of the whole game.  Monks and Direct Damage are weakened, and Necro Minions and AOE are greatly strengthened.   Yeesh Meteor Shower is an "I WIN" button in many battles.  The other issue is quiters.  It not so bad in random arena, but it a huge problem in these longer battles.  Some of these motherfuckers quit even when the battle is competitive.  I am hoping that once the game is live, that faction may have some value.  But there still needs to be a penalty for quiters.

"Me am play gods"
Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 12:57:42 PM

So, what's the largest scale battles that exist?  And are the environments you fight in about the same size as the current arenas?

I guess what I'm asking is, does this new expansion pack add anything for people who are more about coming upon battles where they may, taking targets of opportunity, than straight, head-on arena fighting?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 02:27:03 PM

> taking targets of opportunity
griefer.

Faction arenas are 12v12 but you can only join in groups of 4 max. So you have to team with at least 8 random folks. Since there were 7 control points on the 2 maps I saw, people were very spread out and disorganized.  I am sure one could find mis-matches and pwn them.  But in guild wars all classes have the skills to defend themselves and its up to players to decide if they want use them.  This weekend, my smite elementalist got destroyed by assassins unless my shield of judgement up so I could run away. But my build wasn't meant for 1v1.  Other elementalist could have handled the assassin with ease.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:20:48 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 05:16:46 PM

taking targets of opportunity

Dick Cheney, is that you?
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 06:48:58 AM

I guess what I'm asking is, can I attack lower-level people who aren't interested in PvP and aren't prepared for combat?

No, but you can still go outside and push kids around I guess.

-Numtini
Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 10:52:38 AM

I guess what I'm asking is, can I attack lower-level people who aren't interested in PvP and aren't prepared for combat?

No, but you can still go outside and push kids around I guess.

I had a serious opportunity to body-check a girl on crutches today, but I decided against it.  Restraint!
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 03, 2006, 10:56:35 AM

Probably had trivial loot anyway.

-Numtini
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Another Factions preview starting tomorrow March 24th at midnight Pacific Time  
Jump to: