Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:40:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: f13.net turns 2: Two Years of MMOG's, One Month of Joy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: f13.net turns 2: Two Years of MMOG's, One Month of Joy  (Read 13675 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: March 20, 2006, 09:12:31 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:35:21 AM

It even had something to do with Shadowbane.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:21:25 AM

Thanks for the great article!  It made me all misty-eyed.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 02:03:00 PM

That's not Mist. Someone spilled a glass of water in your eyes.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Heresiarch
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 03:21:11 PM

Question for everyone:

What are your ideas for MMO gameplay other than Diku? What are your favorite non-Diku MMOs? Although obviously SB has Diku elements, do you still consider it primarily a Diku experience? Maybe Diku could be the interface to emergent gameplay, such as might be expected by thinking about RvR while drunk and/or stoned. Do you have thoughts there? What threads can you think of (links plz?) where these questions are discussed?

I'll start by mentioning Sobelius' thread about endgame being just more diku, even tho it's not about alternate proposals.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 07:31:07 AM

Question for everyone:

What are your ideas for MMO gameplay other than Diku?

Is there any other gameplay?

Ok, to be less snarky, the non-Diku Mass Market MMOG's can be counted on one hand. Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies. Maybe Eve, but I honestly consider that a Diku-style game too. Shadowbane was VERY Diku, it just had a lot of good classes and customization built into it. Had you removed the PVE leveling, I'd have said Shadowbane wasn't very Diku at all. Planetside is non-Diku, and the Star Wars Galaxies NGE has elements of non-Diku-ness strapped onto a Diku level treadmill.

For non-mass market MMOG's, ATitD and Puzzle Pirates are both successful non-Diku models. World War II Online isn't Diku at all, it just happens to blow monkeys.

What are your favorite non-Diku MMOs? Although obviously SB has Diku elements, do you still consider it primarily a Diku experience? Maybe Diku could be the interface to emergent gameplay, such as might be expected by thinking about RvR while drunk and/or stoned. Do you have thoughts there? What threads can you think of (links plz?) where these questions are discussed?

Diku needs to be shot in the face, stepped on, burned, pissed on, then buried. It's old, tired and DONE TO DEATH. Many ideas have been floated for non-Diku play. We have ideas like the card-based system from Phantom Dust or Metal Gear Solid Acid or Magic The Gathering Online. There's Planetside. There's Guild Wars skill-based system, which is unfortunately strapped to a goddamn Diku-level box. There are systems like the Bioware KotOR/Jade Empire system that has similarities to Diku but don't play like a Diku, or the Fable action-based system. There's Imaginary Numbers' turn-based strategy system which I haven't seen yet but am jonesing for. DDO isn't Diku, despite it being based on the system that Diku is heavily based on.

There's an assload of good, non-Diku based game systems. But either their implementation is mediocre or downright shoddy, they are niche market games or they are buggy as fuck.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 08:22:50 AM

Good article...and

He said Neocron....

Forget all the haters (well, the 9 here that played it) , that game was fun. Good PVP (outpost battles, random encounters) and a cool implant system, too bad it had such bad bugs.

I'm just an old MMO junkie, stuck in the "remember old school UO" loop forever. A nice thing about WoW is, I got my wife playing and we have fun on it together. I would have never had her try games like Neocron, Shadowbane, UO, SWG,etc.

So where do we go from here. I personally look forward to a small MMO that does important things correctly, and differently than the herd. The problem is, most of those will be or are vaporware. If they aren't, then they will be the same shit re-wrapped. At this point, TR is my only hope for something remotely interesting. I have been so hard up I almost tried Neocron 2. Help me guys...anything I mighta missed flying under the radar?

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:58:53 AM

I almost tried Neocron 2.

Me, too. And I may yet, but I've been so pressed for time to even play the subscriptions I pay for that I passed.

First off, nice written, Haemish. Always a pleasure reading your articles.

Looking at the Diku model, it is a hard mold to break. Sure, there are other models, but Diku has proven to be useful to MMOGs on so many levels. And let's face it, psychologically, it keeps people coming back.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 12:06:34 PM

And let's face it, psychologically, it keeps people coming back.

So does heroin.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 12:23:09 PM

And let's face it, psychologically, it keeps people coming back.

So does heroin.

Exactly.

We obviously can't open up methadone clinics for MMOG addicts... or can we?

Is Shadowbane like methadone for former WoW subscribers? ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 12:24:11 PM

No, Shadowbane is the Euthanasia for all former subscribers.

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 12:42:40 PM

Shadowbane is this rich character building game wrapped in an EQ clone stuck in an Ah-ha video with asstastic net code.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: f13.net turns 2: Two Years of MMOG's, One Month of Joy  
Jump to: