Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:19:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Bioware now has at least 5 games in development. This one is an MMOG. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bioware now has at least 5 games in development. This one is an MMOG.  (Read 27382 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 13, 2006, 12:45:34 PM

BioWare Corp. Announces New ''BioWare Austin'' Studio
Monday March 13, 8:01 am ET 
New Studio Recruiting for Massively Multiplayer Online RPG Project

EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 13, 2006--Canadian videogame developer BioWare Corp. has announced the opening of a new studio, BioWare Austin, based in Austin, Texas. It is the second of BioWare's studios and the first to be located outside of Canada.
BioWare Austin has already begun work on a Massively Multiplayer Online roleplaying game (MMORPG) title; the new game will mark BioWare's debut in the Massively Multiplayer Online space. BioWare has recruited some of the top talent in MMO and RPG development, both to manage the development efforts at BioWare Austin and to collaborate with the experienced team at BioWare Edmonton, to develop a game that combines the best of BioWare's great past games with a compelling persistent online experience. Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star WarsŪ: Knights of the Old Republic(TM), Neverwinter Nights(TM), Baldur's Gate(TM) and Baldur's Gate II(TM). Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online(TM) as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts.

"BioWare is committed to a seamless collaboration between our two studios to ensure the same high standards of quality and creativity our dedicated teams have always delivered," said Ray Muzyka, co-founder and Joint CEO of BioWare. "With our extensive heritage in the roleplaying genre, BioWare Austin is extremely well positioned to innovate in the massively multiplayer online space for BioWare's valued community of fans."

The new BioWare Austin comes soon after the formation of BioWare/Pandemic Studios, a partnership facilitated by private equity firm Elevation Partners. The new entity combines top videogame developers BioWare Corp., an industry leader in the role-playing game genre, and Pandemic Studios, an award-winning developer of best-selling action titles.

Both BioWare Austin and BioWare Edmonton currently have job openings for programmers, designers, artists, animators, world builders and writers, with new jobs being posted regularly. Applicants may view job postings and submit materials through jobs.bioware.com. BioWare Austin will also be recruiting, along with BioWare Edmonton and sister studios Pandemic Studios LA and Pandemic Australia, at the Game Developers Conference at the San Jose Convention Centre in San Jose, California, March 20-24, 2006.

via Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The perfect location for poaching jobs from NCSoft and SOE. Go get'em tiger.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 01:06:05 PM

If an F5 ever roars through downtown Austin the MMOG market is fucked.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 01:26:28 PM

Well, it's got Bioware and Gordon Walton. That's a lot better track record than the dev teams of just about every other MMOG out there.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:53:46 PM

Well, it's got Bioware and Gordon Walton. That's a lot better track record than the dev teams of just about every other MMOG out there.
Yes it really bodes well to have the former VP of Online Operations at EA and Executive Producer of The Sims Online on your MMO team (Gordon Walton), not to mention the Executive Producer of SWG (Rich Vogel). Why couldn't BioWare have poached somebody good down there like Warren Spector? cry I mean really, Austin is one screwed up place for MMO development. That city has given us UO and SWG and maybe Tabula Rasa some day. People really need to stop giving those ex-UO guys second, third, and fourth chances. And it may sound counter-intuitive but the best MMOs from the US have been from teams that had the least amount of prior MMO experience. Having a team with a lot of MMO experience just means that you end up with AC2, SWG, EQ2, and DDO.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 02:02:27 PM

Why couldn't BioWare have poached somebody good down there like Warren Spector?

They played Deus Ex 2?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 02:14:40 PM

They played Deus Ex 2?
The one blemish on his otherwise stellar career. Seriously look up his bio on Moby Games. He was producer or exec producer on some of the greatest PC games of all-time including Wing Commander, Ultima Underworld, >>> SYSTEM SHOCK <<<, Deus Ex, etc.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 02:24:16 PM

At least five games in development? Only four are listed on the site; Mass Effect, Dragon Age, an MMG, and a "new next gen game."

Are you counting Eclipse? That is in development, but it's just an engine.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 02:31:17 PM

Maybe he means Neverwinter Nights 2, though I think Obsidian is the one doing that one.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 02:45:03 PM

They played Deus Ex 2?
The one blemish on his otherwise stellar career. Seriously look up his bio on Moby Games. He was producer or exec producer on some of the greatest PC games of all-time including Wing Commander, Ultima Underworld, >>> SYSTEM SHOCK <<<, Deus Ex, etc.

I was, of course, being funny, but I am glad you pointed this out.  I give him credit for helping ex-LGS people get Thief III out.  I even liked System Shock 2, although it wasn't quite System Shock.  No rollerskates!  Now I have to change my avatar to honor my favorite villain, SHODAN, once I figure out where that picture is.

Obsidian is doing NWN2.  We'll see how that turns out.  I predict that you'll get 80% through and the game will suddenly display a "footage missing" screen, roll credits, then exit to desktop.  Or it might install Fable.  Anyone's guess.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 04:25:05 PM

Which Fable?  The old one or the new one?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 06:06:25 PM

At least five games in development? Only four are listed on the site; Mass Effect, Dragon Age, an MMG, and a "new next gen game."

Are you counting Eclipse? That is in development, but it's just an engine.

Do you smell what I smell? I smell FEAR.

No, really, I cound Never Winter Nights. Just because you farm it out doesn't mean it's not taking resources.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 09:45:26 PM

No, really, I cound Never Winter Nights. Just because you farm it out doesn't mean it's not taking resources.

Honestly, other than hosting the forums and licensing the (now massively reworked) Aurora Engine, we have nothing to do with it. It's all Obsidian's sweat and blood. To the best of my knowledge no one in the building is involved.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 06:02:16 AM

BioWare....MMG? Sign me up!

*Pre-Orders*

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
VickeVire
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 06:47:50 AM

I remeber BG at release... was the first good RPG in a digital form.
Hope they do as good MMO as they did offline games.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 06:52:14 AM

Someone has to say it: wish it was in Canada.  /whine.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 08:05:13 AM

You're a young'un ain't ya?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 12:02:10 PM

Planescape 2 please.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 12:21:36 PM

Huh.  What's this doing out of the MMORPG forum?  At least the Den is getting cozy for those of us that don't know where our games belong. tongue

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 12:27:56 PM

Planescape 2 please.

Mmmmm.

I wish they'd rerelease it for PSP or something.  I really want to play through it again, but I'm a graphics whore.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 01:23:45 PM

Huh.  What's this doing out of the MMORPG forum?  At least the Den is getting cozy for those of us that don't know where our games belong. tongue

It's industry news. Or at least, that's where it was posted first.

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 01:24:50 PM

Also, it's going to be a PC Game. This thread really shouldn't hit 2 pages or so. Speculating this early is like putting your hand in a fire. It's just not a bright thing to do.
VickeVire
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 01:44:54 PM

well it depends on how you look at it. Before BG RPGs in digital form sucked sooo hard
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 01:47:07 PM

well it depends on how you look at it. Before BG RPGs in digital form sucked sooo hard
Here, I'll treat your problem as if I were pulling off a bandaid.

You're wrong.
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 01:49:53 PM

Obviously you missed the entire Ultima franchise.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 01:50:48 PM

I didn't really like any of the Ultimas. But Vicke is still wrong.
WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 01:52:47 PM

You are soulless.

schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 01:54:08 PM

You are soulless.

Nope. Just honest. I didn't like [most of] the Goldbox D&D stuff either. See, even when I was young I wouldn't accept anything put in front of me and I certainly don't look back at that shit nostalgically. EVEN with those opinions, Vicke is still wrong. :)
WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 01:55:26 PM

You probably liked crap like Zelda and Final Fantasy, didn't you? I think we are gonna agree that Vicke is wrong, but that is about it  evil

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 01:57:51 PM

I liked a lot of stuff. But D&D transferred rule for rule into digital form back then just wasn't fun to me. My imagination came up with better things than computers could give me in terms of graphics. In other words, my brain made D&D better than anything I could be offered on a PC. My opinion has nothing to do with Zelda or Final Fantasy.
VickeVire
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 01:59:43 PM

Well we all have our flavor and thoughts how a RPG should be right? I could have missed out on some game but BG was the first one I got the "Hey, this IS a RPG on a computer!" feel
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: March 14, 2006, 02:06:49 PM

Well we all have our flavor and thoughts how a RPG should be right? I could have missed out on some game but BG was the first one I got the "Hey, this IS a RPG on a computer!" feel

I'll prove how you are wrong.

Wasteland.

That is all.

schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: March 14, 2006, 02:10:40 PM

Fallout came out before Baldur's Gate also.

So did Daggerfall.

And Actraiser.

And The Bard's Tale.

And Crystalis.

And Final Fantasy IV & VI.

And Phantasy Star I & II.

And the Wizardry series.

This list could be endless.
VickeVire
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 02:35:58 PM

So all those games should make me change my feel? They don't. And yes I missed out on some of those. Might have been a gem I missed. Too bad for me
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 02:40:26 PM

I suggest stepping away from the computer and catching up on 20 years of gaming there, chief. You didn't miss out on a gem or two, you missed out on a gem or fifty to a hundred.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 04:00:02 PM

Also, it's going to be a PC Game. This thread really shouldn't hit 2 pages or so. Speculating this early is like putting your hand in a fire. It's just not a bright thing to do.
It is also MMORPG news.  I imagine each crowd has its own take on its significance.  It was posted so I do not particularly care where, it was just kind of hidden to some of us that don't delve into this section of the boards often so I had to tease.  Besides, the consiracy theory bit that interested me most has been added to the SWG thread...  :-D

And I agree about there being some good old games.  There were plenty that held my attention far better than Baldur's Gate.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Bioware now has at least 5 games in development. This one is an MMOG.  
Jump to: