Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Bioware now has at least 5 games in development. This one is an MMOG. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bioware now has at least 5 games in development. This one is an MMOG.  (Read 27364 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 04:38:58 PM

while we're there.... I've been looking for something to help me install and run Darklands.  Anyone got DOS?  tongue
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: March 14, 2006, 04:39:38 PM

It won't run on the DOS emulator du jour?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #37 on: March 14, 2006, 04:48:00 PM

What I wouldnt gave to play an updated version of Phantasy Star 1 or 2, not this PSO crap game they have now.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 04:53:18 PM

while we're there.... I've been looking for something to help me install and run Darklands.  Anyone got DOS?  tongue

That game would have been HUGE if it was released after the advent of widely available broadband. It was such a great game, but in such DIRE need of a couple of patches...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #39 on: March 15, 2006, 03:43:28 AM

DOS Box mang, DOS Box.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 07:04:59 AM

I was lazing for a recommendation other than FreeDos.  Never mind, I'll do it, right after I take out the garbage.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 10:54:59 AM

Baldur's Gate was the first PC DnD RPG that I loved.

And yeah, I played pretty much all of those games listed by Schild. I liked most of them, but I still liked BG more. I was never a huge fan of the early console RPG battle systems (too damn grindy, even before the term really existed), and I despised the early first-person dungeon crawl RPGs (I'm looking at YOU, Gold Box series) - I could never get into them. I would just see the interface and think, "Gah, lame. I want to see my characters!"

Also, never played Wasteland, and I doubt I ever will. For Fucks Sake, I was about 4 years when the game was first released. I was busy pwning Zelda and Castlevania.

NOTE: I am still Very on-board with even the concept of a MMG developed by BioWare. Alpha plzkthx?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: March 15, 2006, 11:26:20 AM

Also, never played Wasteland, and I doubt I ever will.

You are depriving yourself, young N00bler. There is nothing quite like unloading wildly into a crowd of rampaging cyborg-like things with the only clip for your Uzi you're ever likely to find while your arms rot off from radiocativity in 4 glorious colors. At least, that's what I remember.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #43 on: March 15, 2006, 11:34:16 AM

I was lazing for a recommendation other than FreeDos.  Never mind, I'll do it, right after I take out the garbage.

Meg was right, just without link: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

[edit] Doesn't handle System Shock too well, but there are ways to do that otherwise.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 15, 2006, 01:32:51 PM

Wasteland was awesome.  I must have played through it a dozen times.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #45 on: March 15, 2006, 03:54:52 PM

The topic of this thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Strazos

Reply #46 on: March 17, 2006, 05:20:31 AM

I don't even think I could find a way to run Wasteland at this point, even if I wanted to. Apple II? lol, the only thing I played on the Apple II was a computerized voice program.

Sticking silly hockey player names into the program, and watching it butcher the pronunciation, is pretty funny on an off day.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 17, 2006, 07:27:57 AM

It was also released on DOS if you can locate that version.  I have not actually tried to load my copy with DOS Box, although I do not recall any weird copy protection that should stop it (ala Syndicate Wars angry).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 07:41:08 AM

Wasteland ran on DOS. I imagine getting an emulator for it would be as hard as getting any other emulator.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 18, 2006, 07:14:37 PM

You are soulless.

I think this is the one and only instance that I've ever agreed with Schild, but the Ultima franchise did nothing for me either.  C'mon, Lord British?  Even at the tender age of 12 I knew that that was the most jackass name ever given to a fantasy character.  It was enough of a deal breaker that I just could never get past it.

Then there's the tendency to name critters things like "mongbats", Garriott's obvious batshit insanity, etc, and I've just always felt justified in ignoring Ultima.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:17:47 PM by Big Gulp »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 19, 2006, 05:33:00 AM

I think this is the one and only instance that I've ever agreed with Schild, but the Ultima franchise did nothing for me either.  C'mon, Lord British?  Even at the tender age of 12 I knew that that was the most jackass name ever given to a fantasy character.  It was enough of a deal breaker that I just could never get past it.

Then there's the tendency to name critters things like "mongbats", Garriott's obvious batshit insanity, etc, and I've just always felt justified in ignoring Ultima.

You see, that's almost the exact reason why the Ultimas were so cool at the time.  The whole premise of the games was that you were some normal kid sucked into an alternate dimension where you lived out this fantastic hero life, the silly names are all a part of that.  It was pure fantasy and seeing Lord British put himself into the game as the King was just that little thing that said, yeah, he gets it.

There is a reason the protagonist was named "The Avatar" and all the characters welcomed you back each game like an old friend.  Looks like you missed it entirely.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: March 19, 2006, 06:30:45 AM

When you look back at RPGs pre 1992 or so, you have to look at them like this:

How much am I willing to suffer through?

There wasn't exactly a world of streamlining in old RPGs. They were tedious, required notetaking, and for the most part had absolute shit for stories (there are some notable exceptions). Some people suffered through the gold box stuff, some people suffered through Ultima, some people suffered through the first JRPGs on the Nintendo. None of them were really "fun." We were all easier to entertain back then. Gaming was new. If EQ1 or something like that had come along back then we all would have collectively shit ourselves. I can't go back and play Pool of Radiance. It's not fun anymore. Not even as a nostalgia trip. Neither is Dragon Warrior. Hell, the original King's Quests aren't even fun for me anymore. And as much as I'd like to, I can't be bothered to play Maniac Mansion or Sam & Max again. I've tried multiple times with A Boy and His Blob and it's never like it used to be.

The question is, how objective are we willing to be when we remember our first great gaming experience. In retrospect, mine sucked. Sure, SMB1-3 was there. So was Zelda, Loom, and other shit like that. But better versions or better games now exist for every known genre. Indigo Prophecy is just about the best adventure game ever made. It didn't hit me like Day of the Tentacle did when I was younger, but as I said, entertaining me was a LOT easier. Same thing with Neverhood, I'd never played anything like it. Half-Life 2 is probably the best single player FPS in existance. But when I was 12 or so, Doom was THE SHIT. HL2 was never THE SHIT. It was just another gaming experience.

And that's just how gaming goes. Me saying I didn't like Ultima is just admitting that I wasn't willing to suffer through it. Great, you were. I don't see how we missed the point if first generation games didn't entertain us. The question is, if they remade the Ultima's with modern technology, would they be worth playing? Nah, not to me. None of them were that compelling. Hell, if they remade the gold box games I wouldn't be interested. Just about the only titles I'd be interested in remakes of are FFIV, VI, and VII. And that's more because of story than gameplay. Only stories survive the test of time. Great gameplay and quality survives in memory. On that note, I've found consoles have a longer shelf-life than PC titles in terms of replayability down the road. I can pick up and play SMB3 any day of the week, but there's nothing that came out during that time on the PC that I'd even be remotely interested in booting up.

I've forgotten where I was going with this... Oh, right. "Little Touches" don't make a mediocre RPG good. Being young (in gaming years) and/or new to the genre makes a mediocre RPG good.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 19, 2006, 06:54:32 AM

When you look back at RPGs pre 1992 or so, you have to look at them like this:

How much am I willing to suffer through?

...snipped...

I've forgotten where I was going with this... Oh, right. "Little Touches" don't make a mediocre RPG good. Being young (in gaming years) and/or new to the genre makes a mediocre RPG good.

I think that between beginning and end you forgot where you started and where you were going to.  The Ulitmas were amazing simply because they had never been done before, you are absolutely right there, they were some of the first games to attempt to invoke a feeling of alternate reality that was such a promise of computers (and the push to that is directly responsible for MMOGs) and they did it graphically.  Were they the first faltering steps on the road?  Sure, but that doesn't mean they were mediocre.  The best at the time is still the best at the time, retroactively applying modern standards that have evolved from those first games doesn't make them lesser games it just means you have issues with determining cause and effect.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: March 19, 2006, 07:05:03 AM

The best at the time is one thing. The thread started with telling someone how much they missed. Ultima isn't something I put on that list. I can't tell someone to go back and play Ultima, they simply won't appreciate them. They had a time and a place. In terms of Now, it does make them lesser games. Other stuff has held up better. Some people are capable of going back and playing old shit and still being completely overwhelmed by it. I'm not. I'm fairly sure VickeVire, the person we're trying to convince otherwise would think we were whack if we said "Go back and play ultima." It's simply not something that can convince someone of the point we're trying to make. It's like telling someone to play EQ1 now that World of Warcraft is out. It's all about context.
Strazos

Reply #54 on: March 19, 2006, 07:26:38 AM

Wasteland ran on DOS. I imagine getting an emulator for it would be as hard as getting any other emulator, while at the same time not getting bombarded with maleware Bullshit from the kind of Warez sites you would have to peruse.

Fixed it for you. I spent two hours reviving a friend's machine because he Had to have a SNES emulator. No thanks.

Fear the Backstab!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 19, 2006, 08:40:45 AM

DOS Box is on Sourceforge.  Probably some other emulators, too.  They should be relatively safe...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: March 20, 2006, 08:45:45 AM

Wasteland ran on DOS. I imagine getting an emulator for it would be as hard as getting any other emulator, while at the same time not getting bombarded with maleware Bullshit from the kind of Warez sites you would have to peruse.

Fixed it for you. I spent two hours reviving a friend's machine because he Had to have a SNES emulator. No thanks.

Yes, that's one reasons I just don't cruise Underdogs or other emulator sites. I'm not a big nostalgia gaming fan, but Wasteland was fun. There are a few games from the past I'd love to be able to boot up again, but I'm not sure I could take the antique graphics and the emulation issues, especially not when I have a ton of games still unplayed that are modern.

However, I do believe if someone remade the Ultimas with modern graphics and engine sensibilities (instead of some kind of glossy direct port), they'd still hold up today as great games.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 20, 2006, 11:35:20 AM

However, I do believe if someone remade the Ultimas with modern graphics and engine sensibilities (instead of some kind of glossy direct port), they'd still hold up today as great games.

Like this http://www.u5lazarus.com/?  I haven't played it yet but several people in this (or a related) community were involved in it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: March 20, 2006, 12:58:11 PM

Yeah, something like that, only with a game engine more interactive than Dungeon Siege.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 20, 2006, 01:13:44 PM

So Underdogs is full of malware?  Anyone got another linkie for a repository of old games?  It's where I got Darkfall, Fallout, but still trolling for Planescape.  thx

[Edit]  While we're discussing, can I propose a sub-forum for Classic Games or Games Well Esteemed or something that can hold a good list of games no longer on the radar but deserve  Heart?  I want to get a separate box set up with Mule and these DOS'y jewels.  Thank f13 you're greatest!  :-D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:16:33 PM by Soln »
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 21, 2006, 02:17:40 PM

So Underdogs is full of malware?  Anyone got another linkie for a repository of old games?  It's where I got Darkfall, Fallout, but still trolling for Planescape.  thx

Amazon.com. $13.95 or less.

sheesh.

Btw, Planescape still has one of the best stories I've found in a game yet. Someone make *that* MMOG / Sequel / Whatever
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:20:19 PM by Daeven »

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Strazos

Reply #61 on: March 22, 2006, 10:25:37 AM

Btw, Planescape still has one of the best stories I've found in a game yet. Someone make *that* MMOG / Sequel / Whatever

Newb, don't tarnish a great thing.

Fear the Backstab!
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 22, 2006, 11:16:55 AM

Amazon.com. $13.95 or less.

Dude a lot of them are no longer available.  Point taken, however.
Strazos

Reply #63 on: March 23, 2006, 06:49:26 AM

Anyone know if Planescape is burnable? I'm serious.

I would usually HATE on such a thing, especially when one of my precious BioWare games is the subject of said copying, but...

It's been out of print for years, but people still should be able to play it.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: March 23, 2006, 09:36:59 AM

I'm not entirely sure people who missed Planescape deserve to play it in retrospect. It might be too good for them.
Strazos

Reply #65 on: March 23, 2006, 09:42:50 AM

Perhaps you are right. Disbelievers do not deserve nice things.

Fear the Backstab!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #66 on: March 23, 2006, 02:56:36 PM

You can buy it!

Now you don't have to lose sleep at night feeling guilty for stealing it. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 24, 2006, 07:25:26 AM

Anyone know if Planescape is burnable? I'm serious.

I would usually HATE on such a thing, especially when one of my precious BioWare games is the subject of said copying, but...

It's been out of print for years, but people still should be able to play it.
Burnable?

Hell, the noCD crack consists of _changing the INI file_.

Got Planescape in a 2pack with Drinkcoaster, I mean Soulblighter, slapped it on my HD and have been running nice ever since.

--GF
Strazos

Reply #68 on: March 24, 2006, 08:21:54 AM

Burnable?

Hell, the noCD crack consists of _changing the INI file_.

Got Planescape in a 2pack with Drinkcoaster, I mean Soulblighter, slapped it on my HD and have been running nice ever since.

--GF

Already knew about changing the .ini file, but that doesn't answer my question....

A question that seems to be moot at this point. Have fun.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Bioware now has at least 5 games in development. This one is an MMOG.  
Jump to: