Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: For a Comic Book Noob 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For a Comic Book Noob  (Read 5526 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

on: March 04, 2006, 09:06:59 PM

So I've decided I want to take a few comic books with me on the cruise me and my (soon to be) wife are taking in a week.

I browsed around B&N to see what there was, but honestly I don't know what to pick up. I looked at Sin City which seemed cool, but I already saw the movie and I think I like comic books with a little more color. (I really liked the Hedge Knight which was written by George R.R. Martin and penned/inked by some other guys).

Can I get any suggestions?

I like dark stuff, and stuff that's not afraid to be adultish (ie: show some boobies but in taste). I'm not sure I really care for the "standard" comic book characters (superman, batman, etc) - but if it was dark and not boring/kiddy I'd probably be into it.

Thanks!

- Viin
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:33:54 PM

Gaiman's "Sandman". 

The Alan Moore stuff (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Top Ten).

Probably "Watchmen" will be recommended alot.  It never really grabbed me,  to the point that I didn't finish it,  but alot of people swear by it.

The rest I've never taken a shine too.  It does make good browsing material when you need to kill 20 minutes while you wait.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 01:18:56 AM

For now start off with the basics:

Watchmen
Preacher:  Gone to Texas
Transmetropolitan:  Back on the Street

That should be more than enough for your cruise.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 02:11:07 AM

Probably "Watchmen" will be recommended alot.  It never really grabbed me,  to the point that I didn't finish it,  but alot of people swear by it.

What ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 09:29:55 AM

I'll second the votes for Transmet and Sandman.  Those are pretty much required reading.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 11:23:39 AM

I'll toss in a vote for (Marvel) 1602 by Gaiman.  It's superhero-y, but with a good twist and should keep you interested.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:24:42 AM

What ?

Watchmen is well-regarded and almost universally praised.  I didn't care for it,  but it might be a good thing (TM) for someone else.  

Better?
Llava
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 11:40:40 AM

I think he's having a hard time understanding how you disliked Watchmen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in a similar boat.  I liked it a lot, but I thought some parts were pretty weak.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 12:21:47 PM

What ?

Watchmen is well-regarded and almost universally praised.  I didn't care for it,  but it might be a good thing (TM) for someone else.  

Better?

Er, no.  Hate it if you like.  Dismiss it if you wish.  But for fuck's sake, can we not judge it without, you know, finishing reading it ?

That's the bit that bothered me.  I mean, it's a graphic novel. Doesn't take much to hold your nose and take the ten minutes to finish it.  Speaking for myself, Watchmen is NOT my favourite by a long chalk.  I found it a little wanky for my tastes.  Nevetheless, I finished it and see why it had such an effect on Comic Book history and whatnot.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 01:01:33 PM

Hm.

Isn't that sort of the "you can't judge a MMG until you've played it to the end-game" mentality that we tend to dismiss, though?

I mean, if he didn't like the first half of the book, he's probably not really going to like the second half.   I, at least, didn't find it radically different.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 01:27:54 PM

I did notice Sandman when browsing, and there seemed like a ton. Is there a specific order they go in? I didn't look to see if there's a list in the front/back of one of the books. I'll check out Preacher and Watchmen and Transmetropolitan at the bookstore tonight.

- Viin
Llava
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 02:52:57 PM

I didn't want to make my suggestions redundant, but I really want to put some exclamation points at the end of the vote for Transmetropolitan. It's easily one of the best comics I've read.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 01:33:54 AM

Hm.

Isn't that sort of the "you can't judge a MMG until you've played it to the end-game" mentality that we tend to dismiss, though?

I mean, if he didn't like the first half of the book, he's probably not really going to like the second half.   I, at least, didn't find it radically different.

TEN MINUTES.  It's not the same thing as an MMG at all.

Also, it's a developing plotline with multi-perspective characters.  It's MEANT to get better the more you read it.  Had he got to the end, it may just have surprised him.

Just Sayin'.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 02:55:19 AM

You can comment on the writing style, on the drawing style and the overal tone of a comic without knowing the end.

You can't comment on the story without knowing the end.

I guess Jonny Cee did the former and you are discussing the later.

Don't bring MMGs into this though. Their very nature forbids the story to work towards a satisfying climax. That would mean the end of the monthly fee.

Personally I liked Watchmen, but I'm not that into comics and certainly miss the experience to compare it with other comic novels.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 07:51:19 AM

I think Johnny Cee would be rewarded by finishing Watchmen. Maybe not, but really I can't imagine someone not liking it. I find it to be truly one of the masterpieces of the comics world.

Shit, there's always the original Dark Knight Returns if you want to see where the current characterization of Batman came from (though it was also just the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams stuff amped up). Between that and Watchmen, nothing in comics has been untouched by those two since 1986.

Read the Sandman's in order. Look in the small print in the beginning of the book for the issues the novels reprint. Start from #1. :)

Trasnmet is also that good. I actually think Grant Morrison's New X-Men is worth a read, especially if you liked the movies. It has a similar vibe, but in the comic continuity. Grant Morrison's JLA run is also a winner. But if you don't want superheros, go for The Invisibles, also by Grant Morrison. Top-notch whacked out storytelling, with decent art through most of it. There should be 3 volumes, I think.

If you can find any Brian Michael Bendis before he started working for Marvel, do so. Torso, Jinx or AKA: Goldfish are all top-notch film noir style stories, before Bendis became Joe Q's golden boy. His early run on Daredevil was quite good as well, up til about The Decameron storyline.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 08:00:34 AM

If you liked Bendis, Ultimate Spider-Man up to Venom is good.  Up to.  Don't read the Venom one.  And stop reading there.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 08:06:04 AM

I have most of Ultimate Spider-Man run, just haven't read it yet. I hesitate because I really have never liked Spider-Man as a character.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 08:08:35 AM

Then you probably won't like it.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 08:20:31 PM

I picked up 1602 today at B&N, which has a pretty good selection (for a bookstore) of comics - but, of course, they never have the first volumn of *anything*. They had volumns 3 and 5 of The Invisibles; volumns 2-4,8- 15 of Sandman. So, I'll be heading to a comic book store later this week to try and find a couple more on the list.

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Viin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: For a Comic Book Noob  
Jump to: