Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Prices of TV shows on DVD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prices of TV shows on DVD  (Read 8818 times)
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

on: May 26, 2004, 11:23:36 AM

My wife and I have started getting seasons of our favorite TV shows on DVD. I want to get things like Farscape, B5, Highlander, and Nikita. She leans more to the Felicity, Party of 5, and Dawson's Creek shows. Can anyone give me a decent reason (besides the fact I'm a walking wallet who will pay those prices) why my shows usually run $40 - $50 more per season than hers? Do the sci-fi style shows not sell as well and have to have higher prices?

Listed below are Amazon Season 1 prices:
Farscape: $130
B5: $86
Highlander: $78
La Femme Nikita: $87

Felicity S1: $49
Party of 5: $37
Dawson's: $32
Gilmore Girls: $41
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:26:04 AM

I can't tell you why, the but the Farscape DVD prices have always been INSANE. They were charging $20 for 2 episodes way back before they boxed up the seasons, which is patently ridiculous.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:15:30 PM

I notice that the sci-fi shows (with the exception of La Femme Nikita) are all sindicated shows.  Perhaps the fact that they were sindicated means that the target market for the DVDs is more fanboyish, therefore willing to pay more and/or that the show didn't pull in as much scratch when it aired, and they are trying to make up for that lost revinue.

In general though a niche product tends to have a higher price than a mainstream product.  B5 and Farscape are pretty damn niche, and Dawson is as mainstream as you can get.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 12:23:30 PM

Quote from: ClydeJr
My wife and I have started getting seasons of our favorite TV shows on DVD. I want to get things like Farscape, B5, Highlander, and Nikita. She leans more to the Felicity, Party of 5, and Dawson's Creek shows. Can anyone give me a decent reason (besides the fact I'm a walking wallet who will pay those prices) why my shows usually run $40 - $50 more per season than hers? Do the sci-fi style shows not sell as well and have to have higher prices?

Listed below are Amazon Season 1 prices:
Farscape: $130
B5: $86
Highlander: $78
La Femme Nikita: $87

Felicity S1: $49
Party of 5: $37
Dawson's: $32
Gilmore Girls: $41

As far as Highlander goes I'd just suggest getting the "Best Of" set instead.  It would be nice to get all six seasons I"m sure, but really most of them aren't worth watching more than once.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:38:38 PM

I'd really like to buy the full runs of a lot of shows, but there's no way I'm doling out that kind of bread for it. Friggin' highway robbery imo.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:42:32 PM

Quote from: Sky
I'd really like to buy the full runs of a lot of shows, but there's no way I'm doling out that kind of bread for it. Friggin' highway robbery imo.

alt.binaries.dvd-r, $11.99
DVD +/- RW drive, $80.00
Owning every season of every show you've ever cared to watch, priceless.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 12:47:17 PM

Why go through Amazon?  I have done all my DVD orders through Deep Discount DVDs.  They are always cheaper as well as shipping being a flat $5 for 2-5 day post.  I have had no problems in the past couple of years that I have ordered from them.

Farscape Season 1 - $90
B5 Season 1 - $75
Highlander Season 1 - $54
La Femme Nikita Season 1 - $75
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 01:38:32 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
I can't tell you why, the but the Farscape DVD prices have always been INSANE. They were charging $20 for 2 episodes way back before they boxed up the seasons, which is patently ridiculous.

The original "Star Trek" series is the same, $19.99 for two episodes.  Screw that.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 02:39:41 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 04:07:47 PM

I buy my tv shows on dvd from Best Buy when they are carrying sales or a friend is around to get me the discount. I get most sets for under $50. The only 2 I can think of that cost me substantially more are seaons 1 & 2 of XFiles which ran me $100 a piece. But....I'm a slave to the dvd. My spending habits are not that of a normal man.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 11:46:10 PM

The same set up broke my poor bank account during my anime fanboi phase.  2-3 poorly dubbed eps on a $20 DVD was considered a good deal by The Community less than 6 years ago.

As sorry as I am to say this, I miss high school.  I actually had money then.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 05:15:20 AM

Its very simple: Sci-Fi shows cost 10X more to produce than sappy teen angst psycho-dramas.

unbannable
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 05:17:49 AM

Sappy Teen-Angst drama costs about 50x more in terms of music to produce. That's why WB has cut a lot of music from a number of it's releases. The RIAA peoples needs to get their moneyz. That said Farscape and SG-1 (which recently dropped in price, a LOT) have no *real* star attachments compared to say Smallville, Party of Five, or Friends.

The real reason Sci-Fi shows cost more on DVD is because only about 1/4 of the people will buy them (1/4 of the people who buy teen-angst shit).
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 07:50:14 AM

Not just that fewer people buy them, but the demo is typicall young white  males 18-35.  This is a group that has a lot of cash to spend on entertainment.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 08:28:37 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
Not just that fewer people buy them, but the demo is typicall young white  males 18-35.  This is a group that has a lot of cash to spend on entertainment.

Bruce

And has shown a slavish devotion to buying the table scraps from George Lucas, bitching endlessly about them while begging him to give them more, and then buying those SAME table scraps in another, shinier package.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 11:43:53 PM

Its the "Milk these sorry nerds of all the cash they can spare" demographic.

People with much disposable income who are easily distracted by shiny things. The marketing drones wet dream.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 05:04:20 AM

Quote from: schild
Sappy Teen-Angst drama costs about 50x more in terms of music to produce. That's why WB has cut a lot of music from a number of it's releases. The RIAA peoples needs to get their moneyz. That said Farscape and SG-1 (which recently dropped in price, a LOT) have no *real* star attachments compared to say Smallville, Party of Five, or Friends.

The real reason Sci-Fi shows cost more on DVD is because only about 1/4 of the people will buy them (1/4 of the people who buy teen-angst shit).

So you're telling me that a studio musician costs as much as a 15 minute CGI space battle sequence? Rather than be mean, I"ll just stop here.

I'll add that your theories fail when measured against retail sales figures for said shows. I'm fairly sure that Star Trek TNG has outsold Dawson's Creek at Hollywood Video.

unbannable
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 05:06:44 AM

For every single cinematic quality CGI scene in a television scifi show you can point to, I can point to a just as costly counterpart in a teen angst drama. No need to hold back. Ya just gotta realize, CGI in television sci-fi shows on the whole sucks.

If you're gonna go ahead and name some, don't bother pointing to miniseries, most of the time they are teen angst dramas with sci-fi threads (i.e. Taken).

Edit: Be warned though, I have Smallville on my side. It's more teen-angst than sci-fi. As well as the Joss Whedon stuff.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 04:44:18 PM

I'll tell you why. AD Vision is the people releasing them. For those who don't know, ADV was/is a big player in the North American anime market and are known for milking the fuck out of fans. Their anime DVD's are consistantly the most expensive in the genre yet have some of the worst sound quality and have very few, if any, "extras".  

Quote from: MrHat
alt.binaries.dvd-r, $11.99
DVD +/- RW drive, $80.00
Owning every season of every show you've ever cared to watch, $19.99/mnt.

Bah, USENET is part of basic internet access. If your ISP has shitty completion or retention, switch to a better ISP. Failing that, Easynews is 9.95 per month or 6 gigs(whichever comes first), has a retention period of at least 14 days per group (usually longer), and is THE USENET culture barometer of whether a post is propagated and complete or not as they have a 99.999% completion rate on properly posted stuff.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 05:01:34 PM

They're not all bad.  Looks like Firefly, the complete Series is available for $34.99

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 06:24:23 PM

Quote from: angry.bob

Bah, USENET is part of basic internet access. If your ISP has shitty completion or retention, switch to a better ISP. Failing that, Easynews is 9.95 per month or 6 gigs(whichever comes first), has a retention period of at least 14 days per group (usually longer), and is THE USENET culture barometer of whether a post is propagated and complete or not as they have a 99.999% completion rate on properly posted stuff.

Did you even read the deals at the site I linked to?  Giganews has 10 GB/month for $11.99 and has 40 days of retention for binary groups (180 days for text newsgroups).  Giganews has been kicking Easynews's ass lately.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #21 on: May 28, 2004, 07:38:25 PM

Quote from: cevik

Did you even read the deals at the site I linked to?  Giganews has 10 GB/month for $11.99 and has 40 days of retention for binary groups (180 days for text newsgroups).  Giganews has been kicking Easynews's ass lately.

No, for a couple of reasons.

1) I was replying to MrHat's changes to your post adding a link to Netflix for whatever reason. I guess you can get TV DvD's there. Eh.

2) I use Newsfeeds, which combined with the way Newsbin handles multiple groups and servers gives me 100% completion with about a month retention and unlimited downloads daily. There's a per server limit, but there's so many servers that I regularly download 10 or 12 gigs a day and never hit enough limits to not download everything I request.

Giganews might be great, but the setup I have now is so good there's no reason for me to even think about looking for anything else. And from what I'm seeing in repost request threads, people are still using Easynews so there's been no reason for me to think anyone's beat them. Go Team Giganews if they've improved since I swore to never put money in their pockets again.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 29, 2004, 07:53:45 AM

Shhhhh, Usenet is supposed to be a secret.  Could you imagine Usenet flooded with the Kazaa crowd spamming I WANT and GIMMIE msg's in the ten's of thousands per day?  Only way I can think of to break Usenet.

Seriously though Usenet probably won't ever go mainstream (theres that whole adult delayed gratification thing that most people can't fathom) plus if a group ever did go seriously to the dogs the regulars would just pick up and move to a different group with an obscure name.

And then theres always IRC...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

Usenet will never hit mainstream because it takes patience and knowledge to use. Americans... hell, human beings aren't known for either of those qualities. The last time I used Usenet I couldn't get over just how much pr0n spam was everywhere.

Anonymous

Email
Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 12:28:31 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 01:47:31 PM

Bad, good... I'm the one with the data.

Actually, whether it's a bad or good thing depends on whether you are a current Usenet user or not.

schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 02:51:02 PM

Speaking of tv shows on dvd. I just picked up Undergrads S1, Freaks and Geeks complete, Dead Zone S2, West Wind S1 & S2, Star Trek TNG S1, and Smallville S2. Set me back a pretty penny - though I found Star Trek used for $50, about $75 under msrp.

My problem is I don't actually have a tv in my bedroom so I only watch it on DVD. Though, admittedly, the only thing I 'collect' is DVDs, so things could be worse.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 02:57:07 PM

Last TV series I picked up was Shogun, the box came around to $35, well spent money for a series I can only understand half of the time.

Wiiiiii!
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: June 01, 2004, 03:45:03 PM

I need to complete my collections of The West Wing, Buffy, and Angel (even though the last 2 seasons of Buffy sucked goat cock). I believe I will be picking up and or all of the following Britcoms soonish as well-

Red Dwarf (no parenthetical remark needed)
Black Adder (have the  VHS tapes, but I gotta upgrade and get the Millenium special and the Christmas special)
Coupling (this show is fucking hysterical...I can't believe the American version was so reviled)
The Office (American version coming soon...sure it will suck!)

I am a sucker from British sitcoms. Why is that, I wonder?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 01, 2004, 10:19:39 PM

Then I would recommend Fawlty Towers for your list as well, Way.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: June 01, 2004, 10:36:02 PM

I'm not sure how you can like the Coupling and the Office at the same time. One is derivative friends type humor with the nervousness and hormones cranked up and the other is the work of subtle genius. In other words one if rotting ass (I would assume you have a thing for the lead blonde, who wouldn't) and the other is very good.

Anyway yea, normally I like british comedy. Red Dwarf and Coupling however just didn't do much for me.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #31 on: June 01, 2004, 11:24:14 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
Coupling (this show is fucking hysterical...I can't believe the American version was so reviled)

Apparently the problem is that the script was more or less unchanged, but they used US actors when they filmed the US version...  And tho I've never watched it, my friends claim that it's pretty obvious that none of the actors understood where the humor in their lines was supposed to be.  So most of the humor falls flat, funny lines read by the clueless.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: June 02, 2004, 12:04:04 AM

I saw the one episode that aired at it's appropriate time. The script was changed, the storylines were the same though. It wasn't the actors, it was the writers. In the entire episode was one funny line. That's pretty much it. Of course, as I mentioned, I think the British one is pretty much crap cept for the blonde lead.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: June 02, 2004, 08:05:44 AM

The British version of Coupling is what Friends was originally based on wasn't it? Or am I getting those two reversed? Either way, the British version was funny mostly because it was British and well-written, while I've heard the American version wasn't funny because it tried to adapt the series verbatim except with American actors and it just wasn't funny that way. Delivery has a lot to do with it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 09:04:44 AM

Quote from: schild
Of course, as I mentioned, I think the British one is pretty much crap cept for the blonde lead.

You're not correct, sir.  You are, in fact, utterly wrong.

This show resonates with the same 'Britishness' that permeates Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Blackadder, Red Dwarf and many others.  It has peaks and troughs like any other show, but the first 3 seasons were hilarious.

Shame on your taste, Sir, Shame.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Prices of TV shows on DVD  
Jump to: