Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:56:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Gaymers force Blizzard into submission 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gaymers force Blizzard into submission  (Read 71186 times)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

on: February 13, 2006, 01:20:38 AM

Blizzard staff to get training to be more sensitive to players' sexuality.

Apparently we all need to be more open to such groups as "The Spreading Taint".

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 05:55:12 AM

Hey, I just had an idea for a new set of servers  smiley

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:04:51 AM

Damn.  I posted this into Useless news.  It was more that than WoW, I thought.

Owned...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:15:33 AM

I'm going to start a guild that doesn't discuss nor cares about the members' sexual preferences.  Oh, nevermind, I'm already in one.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:38:54 AM

Kudos to WoW for reversing a bad policy.

"Me am play gods"
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 08:39:41 AM

Well, if they can make a gay-only guild, I suppose anyone can start a no-gays guild right?

- Viin
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 08:59:39 AM

It wasn't gay-only. It was a GLBT-friendly guild.  Theoretically all guilds should be this because not being so is against the ToS.

"Me am play gods"
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 09:22:51 AM

It wasn't gay-only. It was a GLBT-friendly guild.  Theoretically all guilds should be this because not being so is against the ToS.

But is it against the ToS to start a guild that is friendly to homophobes?  I can't imagine why not... rolleyes

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 10:08:34 AM

Well if we wanted to test the tolerance of intolerance, we could make a sculpture of Mohammed in ATiTD. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:11:13 AM by Mesozoic »

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 06:13:41 PM

The design of WoW is inherently gay friendly.  You guys thought Night Elves were for straight people?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
DevilsAdvocate
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 06:40:34 PM

Anyone who has done the new Valentine's day quests will know that regardless of your gender, you can spray perfume or cologne on you and give love notes to members of either gender. I play a male Tauren and gave love notes to the cows and the female orcs, but in UC, there are no female guards. I tried giving notes to the abominations with cologne on. Heartbroken after 3 mobs, then after 2 mobs. Switched to perfume, and didn't get heartbroken again. Gay undead patchwork monsters ftl.   :-(
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 06:54:30 PM

Hey good on her.

I know of both a horde and alliance-side gay-friendly guildon my server, and it's no skin off my nose if they want a guildchat free of "OMG fucken fagsz lol" and "man that's gay" and a place where they can discuss Queer as Folk and Bareback Mountain in peace.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 08:13:59 PM

Hey, she's pretty hot.

Not OMG HAWT, but certainly a couple notches over most WoW players.

Anyhow, I liked this bit... I wonder if it was positioned that way intentionally... italics mine, bold not

Two such guilds, Stonewall Champions and The Spreading Taint wrote an open letter to Blizzard criticising its policy.

Sensitive area

The uproar has prompted Blizzard to...

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 09:19:47 PM

Hey, she's pretty hot.

That was my first thought as well.

My second and third thoughts were that she has a rather prominent jaw and traps like a football player.

That's probably my imagination running away with me, though.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 09:59:05 PM

Normally I'd be in the 'Who gives a toss who you rub uglies with IRL' camp, but considering how many 'xxxx is gay' comments you see in your average game of WoW, I can understand em wanting their own guilds.

I'm just wondering about the combination of the timing of this, and the fact that the unofficial gay server, Proudmoore, is also the unofficial Aussie server.  Its also 1-2 weeks until gay Mardi Gras in Sydney.  Its a conspiracy I tell yas!  A big gay blizzard conspiracy!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 11:20:49 PM

Normally I'd be in the 'Who gives a toss who you rub uglies with IRL' camp, but considering how many 'xxxx is gay' comments you see in your average game of WoW, I can understand em wanting their own guilds.

Molten Core is pretty much a 4 hour long gay joke in vent. 

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 11:54:53 PM

I know of both a horde and alliance-side gay-friendly guildon my server, and it's no skin off my nose if they want a guildchat free of "OMG fucken fagsz lol" and "man that's gay" and a place where they can discuss Queer as Folk and Bareback Mountain in peace.

Eating Pudding.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 12:01:36 AM

Once again for people playing MMOG games.

I play these games to get away from the real life political bullshit that you are trying to integrate into my gaming experience. I don't care if your dwarf warrior likes assplay. I want to play the game and not think of you as a deviant. Thanks.

Please stop talking about yourself.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 12:47:22 AM

So much wrong with that.

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 03:07:21 AM

Eh, as long as it's not a gay only guild and is instead just a gay-friendly guild where people can join without the gay jokes or people freaking out on them then it doesn't really matter. As for Blizz I'm hoping it was originally done because they confused it with a gay only guild, which is wrong, and overturned the ruling when they realised it wasn't.

Also, she is not hot. This reminds me of the time Triforcer said that Ann Coulter is "quite hot". I lol'd then, I lol now.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 03:47:05 AM

No, they originally banned the guild because they said it would attract too much hate and cause harassment problems.  So really, their stance was, "We don't want to deal with the CS nightmare."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 04:09:42 AM

I'm just wondering about the combination of the timing of this, and the fact that the unofficial gay server, Proudmoore, is also the unofficial Aussie server.  Its also 1-2 weeks until gay Mardi Gras in Sydney.  Its a conspiracy I tell yas!  A big gay blizzard conspiracy!

Though this chick is on a different server, as is her guild. But yeah, she's pretty good looking. I like the cowgirl hat. I didn't know PM was the unofficial gay server though, and only found out that SC and TST are gay-friendly guilds recently, when I read a post on the Blizz boards. Which is not exactly in-your-face sexuality since I've been on PM since it opened at launch.

I play these games to get away from the real life political bullshit that you are trying to integrate into my gaming experience. I don't care if your dwarf warrior likes assplay. I want to play the game and not think of you as a deviant. Thanks.

1) I hope that you also apply this line of thought to Christian guilds.
2) If teh gayz lolz are all in their own guild, then you don't ever have to read about their dwaves that like assplay.
3) unless you join a guild of, or end up in a PUG with any of the l33t kiddy morons who happen to be in catass uberguilds who talk childish puerile shit out of their asses the whole time.
4) also, better turn off general chat in the cities, and newbie zones, and intermediate zones, and barrens, and STV...
5) actually, better keep it off at all times.

No, they originally banned the guild because they said it would attract too much hate and cause harassment problems.  So really, their stance was, "We don't want to deal with the CS nightmare."

It just depends on how they present themselves in their server community. As I said before, I had no idea about the two on PM until recently. Not exactly in my face...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 04:11:14 AM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 04:18:47 AM

Oooh don't bite, Paelos is doing the exact thing he is complaining of, lets just enjoy the irony and move on.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 06:21:54 AM

Hey, don't blame me, I resisted.  There was a whole convoluted joke about gays turning the other cheek in there as well.

I RESISTED.

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 07:08:50 AM

Yup.  Still an idiot.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 07:39:48 AM

Translation: 'Please, no sharing'

Oooh don't bite, Paelos is doing the exact thing he is complaining of, lets just enjoy the irony and move on.

I don't even think he's violating the 'No sharing' rule there, much less 'doing the exact thing he is complaining of'.  Please, make sense?  His request is the same one we made of SirBruce.  Why is that suddenly too much to ask?

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 08:11:49 AM

4) also, better turn off general chat in the cities, and newbie zones, and intermediate zones, and barrens, and STV...
5) actually, better keep it off at all times.

I would say that all MMOG's should just have these channels turned off by default, but then the drooling mongoloids would just find some other channel to ejaculate their mouth-breathing, knuckledragging douchery into. Better to keep them confined to the low end of the gene pool where I can see them and avoid them.

Also, as I said in the other thread, gaymer is perhaps one of the most irritatingly assinine labels since "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." Have some fucking respect, gay people. Just because you ARE gay, doesn't mean you have to name yourself something gayer than night elves.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 08:20:37 AM

They didn't actually ban the guild, rather the CS guy told her she would be banned if she continued to advertise it in chat. Given my experience with the CS guys so far I think it really was poor  training rather than company policy.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 08:21:34 AM

Hey, she's pretty hot.

Not OMG HAWT, but certainly a couple notches over most WoW players.

Yeah, uh...welcome to the "T" in "GBLT"

-Numtini
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 08:22:45 AM

Me No Understand.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 08:33:11 AM

Hah ha! Dangly parts.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 08:54:31 AM

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 09:07:42 AM

Sexual orientation is not inherently political.  What you're railing against is any intersection of games and real life.  The same sort of nexus that occurs when a player tells his guildmates that he and his wife just had a child is all these people are trying to do.  Sadly trying to do so amongst the general population would immediately result in a series of flames and jokes, hence the need for the guild. 

-Numtini
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 09:18:31 AM

I don't even think he's violating the 'No sharing' rule there, much less 'doing the exact thing he is complaining of'.  Please, make sense?  His request is the same one we made of SirBruce.  Why is that suddenly too much to ask?

I would hope that a gay guild would be the same as a "straight" guild where people don't go on and on about their sexual exploits/persuasions. Some guy saying "I met hit hot guy last night for dinner" wouldn't bother me, but telling me about any sex they may or may not have had would. Same as if the guy was talking about a girl. You see there's a line... Bruce crossed in frequently.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 11:07:44 AM

Personally I'd like it if Blizzard treated guilds as private clubs.  You can invite whomever you like whyever you like.

Isn't that what they do?

I guess it's the advertising that's the problem for some.  For which there is a simple solution.  Turn off general chat.

Recently on my server there was a "gay activist" guild being advertised, which goes a bit beyond "gay tolerant" or "gay friendly."  So the Gay Activist (most likely a college student who recently outed himself and has Issues) would advertise in IF and then of course, the expected reaction.  Which is why I usually turn off general chat when I'm in IF.

I don't think many people want to join a gay-only guild, although many don't mind gay-friendly or -tolerant.  I have no idea what my guild's position is; never occurred to me to ask and I haven't noticed. 

If people want to form a white-only or black-only or Christian-only or straight-only or men-only, I don't give a fig.  Keep the bigots together, if bigots they are.  Merely advertising a whatever-only is not offensive to me, and I don't know why it would be to other people.  If they are offended by such things, perhaps they should stay at home with the windowshades drawn and the doors locked.  Being exposed to the public must surely be a trauma.

There is already a no-gnome guild on my server which I find very amusing.  The response to people roleplaying bigotry is quite entertaining, particularly since it's not an RP server.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Gaymers force Blizzard into submission  
Jump to: