Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: I have returned bearing tidings of woe. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have returned bearing tidings of woe.  (Read 23291 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: February 01, 2006, 10:32:24 PM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 11:08:23 PM

I read about this earlier and I'll say two things that don't make it seem too bad to me:

1) I like a lot of Ostrander's comic book work.  Blaze of Glory is one of my all time favorite Marvel stories.

2) There have been some pretty good Star Wars comics, many of which were set far outside the time of the movies.  A lot of the Tales of the Jedi stuff for example was entertaining.

So I'll probably at least give the first issue a shot, even if Cade looks a bit like he should be staring in a Final Fantasy game or something.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 02:56:10 AM

Stupid fanboi pandering of the worst kind.

Let's cross Luke with Boba and see what comes out.  Add in a twilek that's a cross between Darth Maul and a WHORE and you have the perfect teenage wankmag orgasm fest.

This is what happened to Star Wars.

Fuckholes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 04:05:55 AM

I agree with Ironwood, this is just fucking stupid.  Of course, it's pandering to todays teen culture which is also fucking stupid.  Thanks to whomever we have to blame for all that. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:00:28 AM

Stupid fanboi pandering of the worst kind.

You mean other than Episode 2 or 3?

Yeah, this looks teh gay.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:52:45 AM

2) There have been some pretty good Star Wars comics, many of which were set far outside the time of the movies.  A lot of the Tales of the Jedi stuff for example was entertaining.

All of the "Tales" books and the "infinities" books have been entertaining.  I REALLY like the tales books and pick-up the compendiums when they're released.  Lots of little mini-stories about completly new characters or just off-the-wall scenarios using the core characters, they're really just fun and entertaining little comics that don't take themselves too seriously or try to be more than fan-ficts in animated form. (For the most part. The Maul Vs Vader one was fun but pushing it.)

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 09:19:45 AM

That first pic looks almost exactly like a blonde Steven Tyler  huh
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:53 AM

The first image in the linked thread was also rather annoying.  "New Sith Order!  New Empire!  Everything that happened in the movies and, hell, even most of the books is now irrelevant because we're shamelessly recycling!"  I mean when Vader turned back to the light side and chucked his master down that pit, it was supposed to be the destruction of the Sith.  According to these assbites, it was simply a very minor delay for the Sith who, after all, were willing to wait a thousand years before making their move in the prequels.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 11:15:31 AM

So who finally did it with Luke?

As far as I'm aware, Leia was the only surviving female in the universe after Return of the Jedi.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:51:34 AM

Hell Boy, where have you been ?  Luke got the hottie McHot of Mara Jade, another teenage idol to perform 'way of the blurred fist' to.

Though the real life actress that posed for the TCG actually was HAWT.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 12:05:14 PM

Ah, right then.

Sorry, Star Wars isn't my chosen field of nerditry.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:59:47 AM

Some more information here.

The first image in the linked thread was also rather annoying.  "New Sith Order!  New Empire!  Everything that happened in the movies and, hell, even most of the books is now irrelevant because we're shamelessly recycling!"  I mean when Vader turned back to the light side and chucked his master down that pit, it was supposed to be the destruction of the Sith.  According to these assbites, it was simply a very minor delay for the Sith who, after all, were willing to wait a thousand years before making their move in the prequels.

Hmmmm...

On the new Sith Order, "We spent long hours discussing the return of the Sith Order," she posted on the Dark Horse boards. "We analysed the problem in great detail, and it is not conflict with George Lucas' vision of Star Wars. Even Lucas approved the basics of the story and he still thinks that the Expanded Universe isn't just an alternative universe which is different from his own. The Legacy series will not ruin the significance of the Prophecy and Anakin Skywalker's redemption. You really think that we didn't think about this and we missed it???"

Looks like your master Lucas approved it WUA
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 05:50:59 PM

I was looking on Google for an image of Vader standing in front of that table in Episode 3, so I could follow it up with a nice round of "NOOOOOOO!"  I didn't happen to find that, but I did find something else that conveys horror much more effectively.

In other news, I rattled around the official Dark Horse thread and bitched until the VP of Publishing called me a troll.  Ownage.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 01:37:45 AM

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 10:41:26 PM

I should have tubgirled him.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 11:06:29 PM

Man Vader has really let himself go.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 06:14:37 AM

However, his limbs appear to have grown back.  So that's a plus.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 04:07:13 PM

They grew back with a nasty rash or poison ivy or something...

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 05:43:34 PM

I was looking on Google for an image of Vader standing in front of that table in Episode 3, so I could follow it up with a nice round of "NOOOOOOO!"

http://vadervsluke.ytmnd.com/

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 08:06:26 AM

Le art.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 05:52:59 PM

Those Skywalkers are some whiny little bitches.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 09:45:55 PM

On the plus side, the place I order my comics from is selling the first issue for 12 cents (50% off of it's original price of a quarter).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 01:44:22 AM

That's a mark of quality right there.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 07:00:58 AM

To be fair, the 25 cent first issue has been a pretty good marketing tactic lately.  Dark Horse did it with Kurt Busiek's first issue of Conan and for a while it was the top selling non-DC, non-Marvel comic.  Also a lot of online comic retailers offer good discounts for putting in advance orders on books since that takes out a lot of the guesswork for them on how many copies they should order.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 10:29:37 PM

Read through the #0 preview issue.  Mostly just sketches and character bios, but aside from Cade Skywalker, the character design is pretty good.  It does look a lot like the Tales of the Jedi stuff (only in the future this time) which I like.  There are some odd choices story-wise though.  There's Imperial soldiers with lightsabers, at least 6 characters with Darth in their name, and apparently a lot of the backstory is connected to that Yuuzhan Vong shit I didn't care enough about to read (didn't care enough to read any of the novels for that matter).  If this book requires me to be even the slightest bit interested in any of the SW history outside the original trilogy I won't be interested.  Could be an interesting Sci-Fi book, or a complete train wreck.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 08:44:28 AM

Add in a twilek that's a cross between Darth Maul and a WHORE and you have the perfect teenage wankmag orgasm fest.

So, ugh, hey... could you like, elaborate? You know, for the future of mankind, and all.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 09:39:00 AM

You didn't see the pictures ?

Trust me, I wasn't overreacting.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 09:42:33 AM

She'd be more wankable in blue.

[edit] Hmm....Wankable.

Maybe "wankworthy"?

I can't get that one right.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:44:48 AM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 09:44:55 AM

Wanktastic?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 09:46:06 AM

It just screams "Part With Your Cash You Little Horny Fuckwads"

Sigh.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 09:52:35 AM

Actually, the real question is: Why are Twileks considered hot?

I usually don't like bald chicks, and definitely don't like ones with protuding, snake-like appendices.

But yet....

[edit]

Damnit..

More word confusion. Is it "appendices" or "appendages"?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:01:27 AM by Stray »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 10:18:04 AM

If the writing is good (and like I said, I've liked some of Ostrander's stuff in the past) I can forgive them the use of their scantily clad Twilek/Maul hybrid.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 11:49:51 AM

More word confusion. Is it "appendices" or "appendages"?
Appendage would be the better choice.

Appendices is the plural of appendix, which does actually mean 'appendage', but being the term for the tiny dangly bit which likes to explode on people makes it not such a good choice.

The geeky answer is 'lekku'.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 01:14:17 PM

Appendices is the plural of appendix, which does actually mean 'appendage', but being the term for the tiny dangly bit which likes to explode on people

That one is for male twileks.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 03:36:59 PM

You didn't see the pictures ?

Trust me, I wasn't overreacting.

Now that i have, i, er... what the hell?! Is that really bad cg? Maybe it looks better in ink, or something.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: I have returned bearing tidings of woe.  
Jump to: