Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Back to eve, again... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back to eve, again...  (Read 14454 times)
Catalan
Terracotta Army

on: February 01, 2006, 01:33:05 AM

Thanks, guys... NOT.
Everytime I lurk in any EVE related forum I end up resubbing, only to forget that I'm playing two weeks later. I must have one of the oldest and less skilled characters in the galaxy.
As the corp I was in last time probably doesn't exist anymore, i'll try applying for this one after I pick up whatever scraps I owned last time I forgot about EVE.
Maybe if I stay away from any mining I'll find the will to keep playing this time.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:02:08 AM

Join the F13 chat channel. I'm pretty sure they still have a few offices scattered around the galaxy.
CadetUmfer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 06:00:00 AM

Haha I'm in the same boat.  The game's slow enough without choosing a slow role.  Combat here I come.

Anthony Umfer
Developer, LiftOff Studios
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 07:52:37 AM

Yeah, lurking here has gotten me to at least play the trial... and I'm enjoying it a lot.  Of course, I detected the sleep-inducing nature of mining in the tutorial and decided against it immediately.  Been doing combat stuff, mainly missions for agents, and enjoying myself.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 11:44:09 AM

Bought a Condor last night and a bunch of stuff to put on it.  Too bad it's going to take the rest of the week to learn the skills I'll need to use all teh shiney.

The Condor is at least 2x the Ibis in every stat so the 20k ISK it cost seems like a worthwhile expenditure while I wait for the skills and cash for a Merlin and while I learn the in's and out's of the game.

I made about 150k ISK in one two hour mission monday night (in the Ibis) so the cash doesn't really seem to be to much of an issue.

The way costs increase by orders of magnitude in this game is pretty daunting though.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 12:22:08 PM

Bought a Condor last night and a bunch of stuff to put on it.  Too bad it's going to take the rest of the week to learn the skills I'll need to use all teh shiney.

The Condor is at least 2x the Ibis in every stat so the 20k ISK it cost seems like a worthwhile expenditure while I wait for the skills and cash for a Merlin and while I learn the in's and out's of the game.

I made about 150k ISK in one two hour mission monday night (in the Ibis) so the cash doesn't really seem to be to much of an issue.

The way costs increase by orders of magnitude in this game is pretty daunting though.

I also had a Condor.  Loved it.  The best thing about it is the speed.  And missions are definately where the money is at for combat chars.  Level one mission that grants a 20-40k reward(depending on skills), double that if you're fast, and then 30k+ in bounties from the rats inside?  I'll take it!  Beats randomly checking asteroid belts for rats.

I'm now in a Kestrel, and I think I'm liking it.  Spent 200k on it, and another 200k outfitting it..  Should be interesting to see how a pure missile boat plays.  Won't get to actually running missions in it until tonight.  And I still need to train Shield Upgrade skill so I can get an amplifier on my shields, which should help my overall ability vs. NPCs quite a bit.... Tho my Condor was pretty able vs. the stuff in level 1 agent missions.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 12:33:17 PM

That kestrel will easily be able to take any level 1 mission.

What sec. rating is your agents system?  Going to .6 or .5 can see a huge increase in mission payouts.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 12:41:26 PM

The one I did was in 1.0 space - Level 1 rank 14?  I think.  Anyway the mission was 40k the bonus was 50k and then there were about 13 - 15 rats at 3 to 3.5k plus a big rat that was almost 7 k.

It was actually fun doing it in the Ibis, I had to warp in - string em out, pick one off, warp out and if I got holed a little too bad go back to the station and repair.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Condor (once it's fully tricked out) could just wade in and lay the smack down on the same mission with out all the finesse stuff.

Right now I'm setting up:

1x 75mm Railgun 1 (Iron for GP and Antimatter if I need big hits like station destroying)
2x Standard Missle Launcher (Sabertooth's I got for free from a cargo container)
1x Small Shield Booster
1x Basic Damage Control
1x Afterburner

Once I get everything else trained up I will probably go up to a 125mm railgun.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 12:49:46 PM

How are you getting all that in the ship?  I'm not sure it'll all fit within the grid/CPU limits, unless your skills are better than mine.

Alkiera

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 12:54:04 PM

Good question.  I'm a newb and don't have the skills to mount everything yet.  I should know tonight if I can actually fit it in.  I was just assuming basic crap = basic crap and should fit on a basic crap ship :)

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 01:13:25 PM

Good question.  I'm a newb and don't have the skills to mount everything yet.  I should know tonight if I can actually fit it in.  I was just assuming basic crap = basic crap and should fit on a basic crap ship :)

Hehe, you know what happens when you assume.  I'd like to put a fourth weapon on my Tristan but my powergrid is tapped.  I have to go with 2-3 50mm armor plating units instead of that juicy 100mm I have in storage, and still only fit two guns and a launcher.  I am not willing to ditch the shield and armor repair units, and that damn thing simply needs an AB.  I need more power.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 01:49:04 PM

It's actually more complex than that.  It's kinda interesting.

I ran:

1x 75mm Gatling Rail I
1x Standard Launcher(Sabertooths)
1x Rocket Launcher(Phalanx) or 1x Small Proton Smartbomb(for building destruction.  No ammo 4tw!)

1x Small Shield Booster
1x Afterburner

1x Power Diagnostic Unit I

The PDU gave me enough power to do what I needed, along from having a decent Engineering skill(5% to powergrid per level) & Weapons Upgrade skill (5% off weapon CPU needs) helps too

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 01:58:32 PM

The Condor is a fantastic ship for a tech1 frigate; I still have mine (termed 'the yacht') and I use it when I want to make insta-warp bookmarks or penetrate zerosec for some reason. With a MWD, a capacitor expander and an overdrive, it flies fast enough to warp-in at 15km, hit the MWD and warp out before a pursuer in a cruiser or BS with instas can shoot at me.

Also, your income can and will increase by the appropriate order of magnitude once you're able to fit the appropriate size ship. A kestrel can rat in 0.5 or do L1 missions for meh-level frigate money; a cruiser can rat in 0.1 (!) for big cruiser money (low millions/hour, plus occasional rare drops for huge money); a battleship can rat in 0.0 for ginormous battleship money (high millions/hour if you're lucky, plus rare drops for amazing money).
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 02:23:34 PM

FWIW, a couple of frigs can rat down to .2 if they are careful- have one set up to tank and the other to damage ASAP. Might need to warp out and back occasionally, but it can be done. Avid Hawk and I took down 2 cruisers last night with a pair of Rifters, and we could have taken two BCs if I hadn't forgotten to fit my armor repairer (I discovered I can fit it and keep it offline, then turn my AB offline when I needs me some armor- useful!).

My current Rifter setup-

2x 250mm light arty guns
2x Standard Missile Launchers
1 AB, 1 small shield extender
1 small armor repairer (see above), two PDUs (1 named).

I am not far from fitting a MAPC; that might allow me to dump one of the PDUs and add a CPU upgrade to allow me to fill my 3rd medium slot.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 03:26:50 PM

FWIW, a couple of frigs can rat down to .2 if they are careful- have one set up to tank and the other to damage ASAP. Might need to warp out and back occasionally, but it can be done. Avid Hawk and I took down 2 cruisers last night with a pair of Rifters, and we could have taken two BCs if I hadn't forgotten to fit my armor repairer (I discovered I can fit it and keep it offline, then turn my AB offline when I needs me some armor- useful!).

My current Rifter setup-

2x 250mm light arty guns
2x Standard Missile Launchers
1 AB, 1 small shield extender
1 small armor repairer (see above), two PDUs (1 named).

I am not far from fitting a MAPC; that might allow me to dump one of the PDUs and add a CPU upgrade to allow me to fill my 3rd medium slot.

My Kestrel setup has the 4th high slot with an inactive smartbomb in it for taking out buildings... don't have near the CPU/power to put another missile rack there.  Maybe if I get up to EngV/Weappon Upgrades V.  yeah, right.  But this way if I get a building destroy mission, I can drop my AB, shield booster, etc, and just bomb the heck out of the thing once it's clear of enemies.

The power/CPU on the top t1 frigates are a little on the low side, imo.

Alkiera

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 03:28:26 PM

Heh, what do you want - they're Frigates.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 03:33:37 PM

Get one of the ship fitting utilities that's out there. (QuickFit is the most common, but uses Java so it makes some people twitchy.)  They use your character's actual skills to modify the ship stats and include a listing of all available modules in the game.  That'll let you see what you can actually fit, and what you might want to train so you can fit what you want to fit.

I prefer running missions for cash, because 90% of the time it's so much safer than lowsec ratting it's not even worth comparing.  Plus, almost all the mission mobs have bounties on them, so as Alk mentioned you're kind of double-dipping.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 04:01:53 PM

Get one of the ship fitting utilities that's out there. (QuickFit is the most common, but uses Java so it makes some people twitchy.)  They use your character's actual skills to modify the ship stats and include a listing of all available modules in the game.  That'll let you see what you can actually fit, and what you might want to train so you can fit what you want to fit.

I prefer running missions for cash, because 90% of the time it's so much safer than lowsec ratting it's not even worth comparing.  Plus, almost all the mission mobs have bounties on them, so as Alk mentioned you're kind of double-dipping.

I just wish there was a little more variety in the missions- all the level 1 combat missions are pretty close to identical. With ratting, at least there is a chance of a big cruiser or bc spawn, which is both challenging and profitable. I also wish there were a few more level 1 agents near Neesher- I need to grind out some faction with Caldari and Amarr (since I blew up a decent number of their ships, which makes them angry for some reason).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 04:04:41 PM

It gets better than just having them get angry at you.  Some missions give you dogtags which are contraband in Amarr space so they'll fine you too. (though they reprocess nicely)

Yoru

Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 06:51:22 PM

It gets better than just having them get angry at you.  Some missions give you dogtags which are contraband in Amarr space so they'll fine you too. (though they reprocess nicely)

Not just dogtags, but also drugs or freed slaves or any other number of contraband items.

I prefer lowsec ratting because it's more dangerous. That little bit of risk keeps me on edge and more focused/interested on doing the task at hand. But then, I also like 'trespassing' into 0.0 in a tech1 frigate, so maybe I'm just insane.  :-D

The fact that the margins are larger are also quite nice.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 06:55:58 PM

Well I specificaly was referring to the Min. missions that Way was doing to get the Amarr mad at him... but yeah, it's a little frustrating to get a nice bit of loot then realize it's contraband drugs or slaves (in matari space) or somesuch.  I should pick-up some smuggling skills sometime.

Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 01:30:45 AM

The problem with fitting a MWD to a condor is it negates the condors small signature - if someone did get a lock on you they are going to smack the crap out of you if you have a MWD fitted (since the Condor is fragile due to it being a low end T1 Frigate)

Personally I'd go with a big afterburner instead

You could always swap out the standard missiles for rocket launchers - Been a while since I've used rockets but I seem to remember they have a higher DPS than missiles because of the faster rate of fire (over compensates for them doing less damage than missiles). Obviously that reduces your range a bit but then the Condor should have little problem closing quickly with targets (which can also be advantageous to get inside the range of their weapons)

The only problem I can see with ratting in a Condor is when you come up against a multiple Kestrel spawn (or a multiple Merlin spawn possibly) at long range because they will be able to pound the hell out of you before you even get close - I have this problem when I fly my Destroyer, but obviously the Destroyer cant close the gap as quickly as the Condor

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 01:42:28 AM

Speaking of Rockets....do the plethora of missile support skills also benefit rockets? If not, that's a pretty good reason to not use them.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Catalan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 02:04:12 AM

Nice... after waking up in a pod deep in some godforsaken region, I'm back in a Punisher bristling with lasers. Time to relearn everything about the game.

BTW. I go by "Lucius Viperinus" in game... funny how similar sounds to "Lucius Vorenus" even if I created him way before Rome hit the screens
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 05:03:44 AM by Catalan »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 05:34:02 AM

I had no idea what I was doing when I created my character and so I ended up with lots of engineering skills.  As such I can mount everything I listed above but I can only have either the AB or the Damage control active at one time (or disable one of the missle launchers and keep them both).

I wanted to check out ratting so when I was in .7 space (for a mission) I warped over to some asteroids and found a nice little 9k bounty rat.  The lewts he dropped were worth about another 40k once I reproccessed them.  ~50k isk 1.5 minutes worth of work?  Nice.

Oh and the missle launchers dropped the rat in about 5 rounds.  Compared to the hell I had with a 6.5k ISK rat the day (long fight lots of warping away, hulled and on fire at the end) before in the Ibis I am pretty happy with the ship change.

Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 06:53:25 AM

Speaking of Rockets....do the plethora of missile support skills also benefit rockets? If not, that's a pretty good reason to not use them.

I've seen this asked on the Eve forums a few times and the general concensus is that they dont (although I've never seen any official comment either way). This does, unfortunately, make rockets a kind of 'dead end' skill since I'm not aware of any higher missile skills using it as a req'd. skill (unlike standard missile), having said that you do only need to get it to level 1 to use them.....

Rockets are however a useful option to the starting pilot in that they tend to be cheaper and easier to fit, likewise it wouldnt suprise me to see starting interceptor pilots returning to rockets when they first get their inty (although there is an argument for them staying out of the inty until they have the skills to equip it 'properly')
Yoru

Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 11:24:51 AM

The problem with fitting a MWD to a condor is it negates the condors small signature - if someone did get a lock on you they are going to smack the crap out of you if you have a MWD fitted (since the Condor is fragile due to it being a low end T1 Frigate)

Personally I'd go with a big afterburner instead

For being stupid in 0.0, you really need to be able to hit 1500m/s in a single pulse of your speed-boost device. I'll have to see if I can squeeze a 10MN AB on the condor and, if so, how fast it goes. I mean, hey, more survivability while doing dumb things - I'm all over that.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 11:30:57 AM

Ok I think I need some advice.  I'm in a lull.

I'm in a well equipped Kestrel and able to do any Tier1 missions, even some Tier2 with pauses.  But all I'm doing are fedex and kill-rats missions.  I've been cultivating a Rank1 Quality 0 agent in a 0.4 system to get about a 4.0 Loyalty (?).  I presume the missions get more interesting the more you do stuff for an agent?

Basically, what else is there to?  I got 1.6M ISK and am 2-3M off from getting a cruiser.  Do I have to grind that last money or is there some quest arc I can do?.... thx
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 11:39:17 AM

I'm sure we can help you with the Cruiser purchase, if you have the skills but just need the money.

I just got down to Kor-Azor where everyone else is, so I dont know how often or what we're working towards with any mining ops but I would hope we can find a way for you to "earn" a cruiser.

It seems like from the chat we always need another hauler, mind training the indy skill?   :-D  But seriously talk to the actual miners, for my part the best I can do is go do some ratting, then give you the best drops and let you find the right places to sell them, which is more leg work then I'm willing to do.  Hell perhaps I can send you to fetch some modules I've decided I might want.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 12:25:25 PM

I'm in a well equipped Kestrel and able to do any Tier1 missions, even some Tier2 with pauses.  But all I'm doing are fedex and kill-rats missions.  I've been cultivating a Rank1 Quality 0 agent in a 0.4 system to get about a 4.0 Loyalty (?).  I presume the missions get more interesting the more you do stuff for an agent?

Basically, what else is there to?  I got 1.6M ISK and am 2-3M off from getting a cruiser.  Do I have to grind that last money or is there some quest arc I can do?.... thx

Train up your Social skills- Connections and Negotiations and the like. You will get more bang for your buck from the agents,  and qualify to use higher quality agents as well.

Plenty of money to be made just ratting and running the occasional mission in Neesher area. Mining is also a good way to make a bunch of ISK. 

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 12:28:41 PM

Right now I'm near the Forge I think.  I'm pretty close to having all the needed Cruiser skills, maybe only 2-3 days more of training.

Where is everyone playing?   Also, give me a list of skills the corp needs and I'll join up.  I'm only able to play casually, so a crafter-like skillset is fine with me.  Thx.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 12:39:49 PM

Is that 1.6 mil straight from mission payouts?  If you haven't been selling the loot drops, you may have that 2-3 mill sitting in your hangar. 
And don't be like me:  Remember to have enough to pay for INSURANCE as well as the cruiser+fittings cost.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 01:12:23 PM

Is that 1.6 mil straight from mission payouts?  If you haven't been selling the loot drops, you may have that 2-3 mill sitting in your hangar. 
And don't be like me:  Remember to have enough to pay for INSURANCE as well as the cruiser+fittings cost.

And if the loot is just normal items, reprocess, then sell the minerals.  You're likely to make more that way.  If it's named or somewhat uncommon stuff, check the price first.

Alkiera

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 01:16:56 PM

We don't have any specific skill requirements, feel free to join up and just hang out with us. We typically go ratting or mining together. We are pretty much all in Neesher or nearby.

We can certainly help you get the minerals needed to build a cruiser, and we might have a BPC depending on what you want to fly. Otherwise, ratting in groups and assisting in mining (like Hoax said) - we can always use a hauler - will get you money or minerals or both. We also need help keeping the rats off us while we mine, so you can help that way .. though not in the lower security systems when just in a frigate.

We also have a lot of modules and things available in the corp hangar you can use to outfit your new ship.

Missions are probably the best way to go to earn cash. And as mentioned, upping your Social skills will increase your payouts and give you access to better agents. When you can start doing Level 2's you'll be making a lot more money if you can do them quickly (usually requires a cruiser though).

If you come to Neesher you can rat with us and help with mining, otherwise you can still join the corp and hang out where you are doing missions until you can afford a cruiser.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 01:43:23 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 01:24:17 PM

Thanks.  I will head over to Neesher sometime tomorrow.   I've been selling and reprocessing everything -- nothing is going to waste.  Most money goes into ammo and skills it seems. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Back to eve, again...  
Jump to: