Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Back to eve, again... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back to eve, again...  (Read 14455 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 01:26:55 PM

We have several ammo blueprints too, so we can run off several thousand of whatever type you like in most cases. Just hang onto some extra minerals and voila! Instant ammo =)

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 01:39:21 PM

I haven't joined the corp yet, still in my lil frig.  I'd come haul for you, I have the reqs to get an indy, aside from the actual skill, which is apparently restricted from trial accounts.  D'oh.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 01:44:20 PM

Sounds like it's time to subscribe.  cool

- Viin
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 01:45:20 PM

Heck, you could even help with ratting/gank squads. Us slow cruisers don't like to pick up our loot, especially people like myself and Yaeru, who fly slow-ass missile boats.

Flying 30km+ for a single loot can is teh suck.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 01:58:53 PM

Agreed I'm definately going to need small ships to:

a) kill any small ships that get under my guns
b) pick up everything
c) entertain me by setting themselves on orbit around my ship whenever they aren't needed for any of the above mentioned tasks

I haven't looted anything since I got the prophecy its just too fucking slow for me to bother.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos

Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 02:04:56 PM

Pfft...I loot everything. I mean EVERYTHING.

I was on the chat channel one night, talking about how it took me the better part of an hour to loot all the cans that dropped in a single mission encounter....

Granted, that encounter consisted of about 30 frigates, but still.

Also, if you're having a huge problem with small ships getting inside the minimum firing range of your laser batteries, you might want to consider mounting one or two smaller turrets to deal with the problem, because it's not going to go away.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006, 04:25:19 AM

Also, if you're having a huge problem with small ships getting inside the minimum firing range of your laser batteries, you might want to consider mounting one or two smaller turrets to deal with the problem, because it's not going to go away.

Or an assault launcher or 2 (warning: not a particularly useful suggestion if you fly Amar, which you probably do if you use lasers)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #42 on: February 03, 2006, 08:10:06 AM

Agreed I'm definately going to need small ships to:

a) kill any small ships that get under my guns
b) pick up everything
c) entertain me by setting themselves on orbit around my ship whenever they aren't needed for any of the above mentioned tasks

I echo this, having gotten my shiny new cruiser 99% set up.  Luckily I had a named cruiser-grade AB sitting in a hangar, but it really throws me out of my groove if I have break off my mining cycle to go loot cans, and it clutters up my hold, too.  I don't want to fit a tractor beam, and I don't know of any "gopher" drones.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 09:16:37 AM

People can attest to how slow my Proph moves, eventually I just gave up and would put the ship on stop after the rats were cleared.

I dont think there are loot drones, but that is a damn good idea.  Tractor beams require scienceV which means that is not going to happen any time soon.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: February 03, 2006, 09:39:04 AM

People can attest to how slow my Proph moves,

I do about 160m/s without AB, what about you?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 09:50:31 AM

That would drive me crazy. I was getting about 225 in my Caracal w/out AB and it was making me nuts. Perhaps i am destined for smaller faster ships. I've read about people getting 1300+ - is that inty's or assault frigs?

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
WayAbvPar

Reply #46 on: February 03, 2006, 09:53:46 AM

My Slasher hit over 1000 m/s with an AB- with maxed Nav and AB skills, I could probably get close to that. Add a MWD and it would be easy.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 03, 2006, 11:22:39 AM

I had a MWD on my rifter and could hit 1500 with no problem.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #48 on: February 03, 2006, 11:25:13 AM

That would drive me crazy. I was getting about 225 in my Caracal w/out AB and it was making me nuts. Perhaps i am destined for smaller faster ships. I've read about people getting 1300+ - is that inty's or assault frigs?

Those 1300+ numbers are all about the MicroWarpDrives.  Like an afterburner on crack.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #49 on: February 03, 2006, 01:39:31 PM

There are guys with tons of skills and the speed-booster implants that can hit 7kmps in interceptors.  They can orbit at 15KM out and still be traversing too fast to track with cruiser guns, and hard for the slower Frigate guns.  Shooting missles at them is a waste of ammo: Not only are they faster than the missle, they are faster than the explosion blast.  You won't see them often, they hunt ratkiller battleships in 0.0 space.  Definitely the elite of Eve pirates.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #50 on: February 03, 2006, 01:56:30 PM

God I love this game...

-William Gibson
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 03, 2006, 02:26:33 PM

Just tried out a mwd on my executioner, got to juuuust under 3k m/s.  So I may have been wrong when I said I got to 3.5 on my Rifter.  too lazy to test it out atm. 
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 03, 2006, 03:59:51 PM

There are guys with tons of skills and the speed-booster implants that can hit 7kmps in interceptors.  They can orbit at 15KM out and still be traversing too fast to track with cruiser guns, and hard for the slower Frigate guns.  Shooting missles at them is a waste of ammo: Not only are they faster than the missle, they are faster than the explosion blast.  You won't see them often, they hunt ratkiller battleships in 0.0 space.  Definitely the elite of Eve pirates.

--Dave

You *might* be able to in a Caldari missile tub with maxed ship skill and missile projection (plus a spendy little implant).  That's *if* shit stacks up to 100%+ velocity or not.  I dunno.  The maths in thees game, they are confoozling me.

Regardless, one wouldn't be doing it in a Ferox which is where I plan to go after I get back in; I think I'm only a couple days skill training plus a few million ISK from that.  I like missiles (the lazy man's weapon), so I thought I'd go 5 launchers/2 "other."  Since I've almost totally neglected learning anything about projectile weapons, what would be a pair of good close-in hybrids for shooting speedy little fuckers?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #53 on: February 03, 2006, 04:04:47 PM

You want Light Neutron Blasters if your only concern is doing damage to frigates.  But that is comming from someone who hasn't do any real work with Hybrids.

-William Gibson
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 04:08:37 PM

Eh, they don't *have* to be hybrids; the Ferox just gets a range bonus on those--but since the guns are only intended for pesky swarming midges, they don't need it.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 03, 2006, 04:48:11 PM

For smalls you want Anode Light Ion Particle Cannon I (300k a pop) and for medium you want Limited Ion Blaster I (500k a pop).
Strazos

Reply #56 on: February 04, 2006, 02:05:33 PM

But what are the ranges on those weapons?

Fear the Backstab!
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 04, 2006, 02:54:53 PM

But what are the ranges on those weapons?

Blasters typically suck for range. 3-5k optimal with about 3k fall off (this is mediums btw)

That said the tracking (as fa as I understand it) is very good (higher number = better I believe for tracking) and the damage is very good.

I've spent the day mission running (level 2) and have noticed big problems hitting Frigs with my rails (both 250mil and dual 150mil) under about 20/25k and keep thinking about swapping one or both out for a blaster to see if it helps......
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #58 on: February 05, 2006, 05:55:33 PM

Do we have a names list?  I can find the /f13 corp name, but not sure who is on :)  Got to Neesher, but need handles for punch&pie. 
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #59 on: February 05, 2006, 07:28:31 PM

We have a channel that everyone usually hangs out on. Join channel 'F13' from the channels & mailing lists screen.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #60 on: February 05, 2006, 07:56:54 PM

Ya, were different in that the corp chat is usually empty, the f13 channel is where its at as we have friends in other corps etc. And this was superbowl sunday so its dead every where, well come back be a little patient.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 06, 2006, 05:47:50 AM

I've been impressed with the f13 chat.  There is usually 9 or 10 people in there when I have been on.  Usually an f13 channel has maybe 1 person in it going, "Hello?  Anyone there?"

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #62 on: February 06, 2006, 07:40:18 AM

I've been impressed with the f13 chat.  There is usually 9 or 10 people in there when I have been on.  Usually an f13 channel has maybe 1 person in it going, "Hello?  Anyone there?"

Yeah, but we are all AFK.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 06, 2006, 03:13:10 PM

Subbed, spent most of the morning re-acquainting myself with the game.

Got killed almost immediately ratting in a lousy little .4 system, by a player whom I almost destroyed before his buddy in the HAC warped in on top of me.  On the bright side, I almost immediately after looted about 8mil worth of modules which (with insurance) is enough to move up to a Ferox instead of just replacing my Caracal :)

I'm gonna tool around in safe space for a couple more days to build up some wallet pad, but them I'm off on the long warp over to your backwoods end of the galaxy.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 06, 2006, 03:42:34 PM

There's plenty of safe space around us, just so you know. If you come down you don't have to jump into .4 or .2 systems right away! :)

Look forward to seeing you in the chat, make sure you let us know which one is you!

- Viin
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 06, 2006, 04:16:13 PM

It was some large number of jumps to get there; I'll poke around in my own backyard while I get a handle on my new boat and then jump over when I can take time to AFK-travel.

Silus Fromme
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 08, 2006, 02:18:10 PM

I like missiles (the lazy man's weapon), so I thought I'd go 5 launchers/2 "other."  Since I've almost totally neglected learning anything about projectile weapons, what would be a pair of good close-in hybrids for shooting speedy little fuckers?

Consider training up Guided Missle Precision and Warhead Upgrades.  Then go with this setup:

Ship:  Ferox
Highs:
          5x Heavy launcher
          2x Medium Nos
Mids:
          1x Medium or Large shield booster (dependent on what your CPU/PG is after skills)
          2x Active hardener of "main" damage type of NPC you are ratting.
          1x Active hardener of "secondary" damage type of NPC you are ratting.
          1x 10mn AB or 1x Shield Booster Amplifier (dependent on whether you want your tank stronger, or want to go faster than 175m/s)
Lows:
          2x PDS (get the skills to run PDS IIs asap)
          2x BCS (the BCS II is retardedly expensive)

Align to a convenient warp spot the instant you hit the mission, then just kite everything.  With the BCS and 2-3 points each in Heavy Missle, Guided Missle Precision, and Warhead Upgrades you should be able to do 160-180 damage to cruiser or better, and 30-70 damage (on a "bad" hit where they out-maneuver your missle's explosion velocity, kiting them will tend to make it so that they are headed in a straight line toward you which increases the likelyhood of doing a full damage hit to even the fastest frigate) to frigates while hitting from near 60km away.

With that you can sometimes pop Level III inties and afs in 1 volley, rarely more than 3.  The Ferox with no MWD has obscene cap, enough to run the hardeners near indefinitely.  You'll want to micro-manage the booster.  The two Nos are there to turn the couple frigates who will inevitably get w/in 10km of you into mobile cap batteries.  This means you'll have more cap to run the booster, which you'll probably need for the few seconds that you are getting orbited by extra damage dealers.

This kit does pretty well against all but the most notorious Level III kill missions, and is obscenely unbalanced against the 4/10 "monastery" complexes that litter the low-sec zones between Amarr and Minmatar space.  The monasteries are filled primarily with smart-bomb swarms, so start kiting, turn off the hardeners, and kick on an AB.  You can solo both levels of the complex and might never even take a single point of damage because even 40+ smartbombing cruisers never get close enough to you to fire.  1.9m Isk in bounties without ever seeing a bar of red on your shields.
Strazos

Reply #67 on: February 08, 2006, 02:29:34 PM

I personally would go with a shield extender instead of 3(!) hardeners. Also allows you to equip some other things if you like....such as target painters...or anything else.

Fear the Backstab!
Silus Fromme
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 08, 2006, 02:46:34 PM

I personally would go with a shield extender instead of 3(!) hardeners. Also allows you to equip some other things if you like....such as target painters...or anything else.

I've lost 4 feroxes that way.  There are two problems with shield extenders in a ratting Ferox:

1.  They increase singal radius.  That means that guns can track you better, and missles can hit you harder.  So you get more shield hp but you take more damage.

This ties directly into,

2.  They are purely passive tanking with no resists, influenced only by your shield recharge rate via PDSs.  For ratting this can be bad because rats have infinite ammo and (i think) infinite cap.  I've lost a Ferox with over 11k shield hp in a Level III because I got warp scrambled, and the dps of the rats was better than my dps and shield recharge rate combined (and that was with 4x PDS IIs, 12-14 million worth of shield recharge gear all by themselves).

Get a list of the damage types of NPCs, kit out the active hardeners, and go test it.  When running the hardener tank a Guristas Heavy Missle battery launching Scourges at me does 10-20 damage per hit.  Even with "only" 4.7k shield hp the damage-to-total ratio is much, much lower than having 11k shield hp but taking 75-150 damage per heavy missle hit.

I spent the better part of 5 months avoiding the above setup (it was suggested to me by others) because I was convinced it was a bad idea.  I was dead wrong, and it cost me tens if not hundreds of millions of top shelf ratting gear to learn that lesson.
Strazos

Reply #69 on: February 08, 2006, 03:03:52 PM

Well...maybe it was something to do with me refusing to look up rat damage types....

I've tried using hardeners before and hated them....they leeched the hell out of my cap.

Though I can see their viability with the addition of the 2 large NOSs.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Back to eve, again...  
Jump to: