Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: The New Server Problem 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New Server Problem  (Read 12685 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 19, 2006, 12:21:48 PM

Ok, new servers, PVP servers. I don't care all that much about PVP. I'm a sucker for clean servers, unsoiled market economies, and unknown futures. I <3 new servers. Generally I switch to one whenever I get a chance. This is no different. If people are willing, I'd like to halt the heavy work on Bat Country and inact some sort of "try out every class to pick a final" on the new server. That is, if most of you want to switch to the new server. I understand if you don't want to.

Well, no, I don't understand.

New servers are love. We're a smart bunch of folks. We could dominate the market there, no question (as there aren't many big guilds in EQ2). We're efficient people and the grind really isn't that bad (as in, there really isn't one). Also, there won't be any cockblocks. Everyone will start at the same time at the same level. Everyone seemed to progress at the same rate on Steamfont.

Can I get some yay or nays? Cheddar would still be guild leader, but there's just so much allure to having a clean server. Even if the PvP is unbalanced, it doesn't mean we can't make ganksquads of mages and rogues. Also - we could be an evil guild - which would most likely be the underdogs. The world would be our oyster.

/new server discoveries ftw
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 12:24:43 PM

I feel the same about new servers and hopped to a new one every time they opened in both EQ and DAoC.  I really don't care whether it's a PvP server or not as long as it's a clean slate.  Considering the class imbalances, a non or semi-PvP sever might be more attractive than a Lord-of-the-Flies open PvP free for all.

Count me in.  I'm going to leave all my other toons in the dirt to play on the new servers.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 12:35:44 PM

it's a cunning plan
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:43:00 PM

I'm a negative on PvP servers.  I've done level-based PvP in DAoC.  I have no interest in catassing to stay infront of the curve, getting ganked by level +10s, suffering through pushed out classes and inevitable nerfs/balancings, enduring lag, asshats, and login problems.

I'm actually enjoying myself on Steamfont.  Running some little groups, having a little community, and having free run of the place is really nice.  Not having to 'camp check' or fight over spawns is a thing of beauty.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 12:45:36 PM

I'm not real worried about overpopulation in this game but new servers bring me this.

1. Fresh Database
2. Undiscovered server lewtz.
3. Untarnished market.
4. A smaller level curve amongst the players.

And really, no matter where you are, catassing in this game doesn't really help much. EQ2 is much more about efficiency than time invested.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:49:40 PM

I would prefer not having a PvP server, too.  PvP in EQ was really dreadful and I'm convinced it'll be terrible in EQ2.  Then it would just piss me off.  If they offer, which I'm not sure they will, I'd prefer an rp server.  I seem to get along much better on those, even though I don't really arr pee. 

And... since it was mentioned... Bat Country, or any f13 guild, will never be big enough to dominate anything.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 12:50:33 PM

It's not about dominating. It's about survival. And a new database.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 12:55:08 PM

Then why did you say we could dominate the market?  You say stuff so I'll say stuff then you say, "NAY" and make me confused and leave me looking foolish!

Just because.

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 01:01:08 PM

The market isn't anywhere near the same thing as controlling contested areas. You don't have to be an uberguild in EQ2 to get and sell the right things. It just takes a bit of ingenuity and luck.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 01:04:53 PM

EQ2 PvP? No. Sololing is tough enough at times without having to worry about roving gank squads. Have you played EQ on a Zek?

As I said in the thread this idea originated in, I'll stick to Qeynos/Steamfont and Freeport/Lucan D'Lere.

That's my final answer, Regis.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 01:18:58 PM

I hate to say it, but all valid points:

- Yes, a few uber guilds will run the show

- Yes, soloing will be tough/frustrating

- Yes, this server will attract the leet kiddies and you'll be surrounded by guys with names like ~-=Mastahplayah=-~

- Yes, pvp imbalances will be many

I do love myself a new server though.  The fresh slate is really fun.  Is it enough to offset the rest?  I'm not sure.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 01:25:28 PM

Ohh please, please, please do this. I want to see Haem quote some Talking Heads once the l33t kiddies pound your hopes and dreams into a fine powder called misery.

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 01:29:58 PM

These games are about Time, and eventually unlocking stuff in later parts of the game. Some, like EQ2, also involve building up pseudo-businesses over time. Server jumping seems to cancels those things out, preventing people from getting established in their bid for continually trying to be first.

At the same time, I'm living on Test until 19 goes live, so it doesn't matter to me personally if its Steamfont or something else. I couldn't care any less about being first.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 01:36:36 PM

Fuck if you want a shot at uberness move over to my server (Grobb). Our resident uber guild (Malice) left after getting all pissy that they won't have enough time to farm the old t6 stuff before the next expansion or somesuch...

I think currently our guild might be #1 or #2 on the server and we ain't all that uber...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 01:47:21 PM

~-=Mastahplayah=-~
On Steamfont a couple nights ago - Watchdisshet.

Dumb names used to bug me, but now I see them as a beacon of warning.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 01:52:02 PM

I think I'll play test mostly until #19 myself... especially if we're going to switch servers anyway.  I'm Midden on Steamfont and I'm Radge on test.  I couldn't find a place for the wee, unfortunately.   huh

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 01:53:17 PM

I agree with the time efficiency vs. catass.  Look at how how high my character levels are, yet I am relatively casual this time around.  I dunno, I just got leet skillz or some such shit.  Can we get some official notes as to wether they will be doing character transfers, how PvP WILL be deployed, and any other notes of interest?  Point two would perhaps be the most important point to take into consideration.  

Until we get more information I will sign up as "potentially interested."  I hope everyone would choose to come with us.  Honestly, no one besides perhaps Miasma has enough time investment to bitch if we start over.  And he fears me.

Allow me to Bruce this up a little:

I'm a negative on PvP servers.  I've done level-based PvP in DAoC.  I have no interest in catassing to stay infront of the curve, getting ganked by level +10s, suffering through pushed out classes and inevitable nerfs/balancings, enduring lag, asshats, and login problems.

I'm actually enjoying myself on Steamfont.  Running some little groups, having a little community, and having free run of the place is really nice.  Not having to 'camp check' or fight over spawns is a thing of beauty.

You were with us in WoW's PvP scenerio, hopefully EQ2 will do something along these lines.  They cannot Darktide this; the world is not fucking big enough to have people form pocket communities.  And what if we have a good/evil mix in the guild?  We need information!  I went ahead and bolded the most important thing I took from your comments.  We are having fun, why should we stop?

- Yes, soloing will be tough/frustrating
- Yes, this server will attract the leet kiddies and you'll be surrounded by guys with names like ~-=Mastahplayah=-~

Soloing in this game will never be tough.  Quest loot is nice enough that you do not need external help, though it helps.  And as for your other point, you cannot have a name like that.  The GM's heavily frown on it and the name police ARE out there.  We got reported when we first started Bat Country.  The person got banned (I will not go into details).

Fuck if you want a shot at uberness move over to my server (Grobb). Our resident uber guild (Malice) left after getting all pissy that they won't have enough time to farm the old t6 stuff before the next expansion or somesuch...

I think currently our guild might be #1 or #2 on the server and we ain't all that uber...

You missed the point.

Oh, and fix the damn TS server.  Blech.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:58:40 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 01:58:02 PM

It's fixed, dorkchop. Would you please wakey wakey?

I care neither one way or the other about a PVP server. I'll make a character and come play just like I did on Steamfont.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 01:58:35 PM

Soloing in this game will never be tough.

Everything's more difficult with a knife in your spleen.

-Rasix
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 01:59:20 PM

Soloing in this game will never be tough.

Everything's more difficult with a knife in your spleen.

Again we come back to needing more information as to how the PvP will be handled.  Lets not draw conclusions until we have information.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 02:01:45 PM

I know how PVP will be handled. For the most part, it's open PVP. I can't go into details further than that at the moment. But I can say it won't dissuade me. I'll stay on Steamfont if that's what it comes down to, but I simply don't think there will be enough population clutter that it will really get in the way of the game.

1. The death penalty is super low.
2. There's an assload of zones and instances in the game where you'd Never run into the opposing team.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 02:04:59 PM

I know how PVP will be handled. For the most part, it's open PVP. I can't go into details further than that at the moment. But I can say it won't dissuade me. I'll stay on Steamfont if that's what it comes down to, but I simply don't think there will be enough population clutter that it will really get in the way of the game.

1. The death penalty is super low.
2. There's an assload of zones and instances in the game where you'd Never run into the opposing team.

Unfortunetely not enough information.  I like the idea of multiple zones though; it almost sells me on the idea.  But by open PvP do they mean Qeynos can attack Qeynos, or only Freeport vs. Qeynos?  And can guilds still have mixed factions with full interaction?  I am 85%+ sold on the idea though.  I have a soft spot for clean servers.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 02:27:31 PM

Given the structure of the game, and that PvP is coming on the heals of a complete redesign of classes and abilities, I'd like to know what people feel will be the true population of these servers. Dead servers suck, no matter how much shit you get to discover.

I mean, it'd be really cool if PvP wasn't a train wreck for months and there was a good amount of players on a PvP server. Good communities and fun stuff can come from that. I'm just wondering is all.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 05:16:26 PM

I really hate PvP, I get far too worked up about it.  For some reason I get really upset if another sentient being brings my collection of polygon's hitpoints to zero.  And as I've already said I have no faith in SOE's ability to implement this correctly.

I understand the appeal of a new server but most of the people playing on it are going to be the absolute scum of the Earth.  We're talking about people who either got kicked out of WoW for cheating or left because there weren't enough exploits/hacks to let them cheat their way to victory.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 05:23:18 PM

All of you sound jaded. 

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 06:44:39 PM

If we decide to move and start over, that's fine. I'm up for anything. For the time being I'll keep advancing on Steamfont and mess around on Test every now and then. I'm still having a great time in the game and you guys definitely keep me laughing. I can hang out anywhere.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 07:20:15 PM

Unfortunetely not enough information.  I like the idea of multiple zones though; it almost sells me on the idea.  But by open PvP do they mean Qeynos can attack Qeynos, or only Freeport vs. Qeynos?  And can guilds still have mixed factions with full interaction?  I am 85%+ sold on the idea though.  I have a soft spot for clean servers.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that PVP would only be good vs. evil.  Anyway, I've only been on less than a week so I wouldn't mind moving as long as everyone comes along.  I'm not a hardcore PVP'er but I did enjoy my time in our WoW PVP server so I'd look forward to at least giving it a try.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 07:51:31 PM

I don't really care, I would come over if it was to the evil side though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 06:55:04 AM

All of you sound jaded. 
It's called experience. Again, have you played on an EQ Zek? I have. Forget getting in half the zones, and with open pvp, forget getting in most zones. It's mmo pvp. People will repeatedly fuck with you. To me, it's not worth the hassle just to get a clean server.

Promote Soukyan to GM and have fun on the pvp server. We'll keep the Steamfont guild going. If I want mmo pvp, I'll go play Planetside, a game designed for it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 06:59:53 AM

Everyone here is so bossy.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 07:28:54 AM

All of you sound jaded. 
It's called experience. Again, have you played on an EQ Zek? I have. Forget getting in half the zones, and with open pvp, forget getting in most zones. It's mmo pvp. People will repeatedly fuck with you. To me, it's not worth the hassle just to get a clean server.

Promote Soukyan to GM and have fun on the pvp server. We'll keep the Steamfont guild going. If I want mmo pvp, I'll go play Planetside, a game designed for it.

This really makes you sound ignorant.  I am not looking to get in an argument with you, but for fucks sake!!!  Relax.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 07:39:56 AM

It wasn't an argument until you called me ignorant.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 07:55:10 AM

All of you sound jaded. 

In fairness, Sky has a point about PVP servers. And more to the point, EQ PVP servers. The Zeks were all around bad news. You could have fun until about level 6 and then the constant ganking begins to get on your nerves. The inability to even fight your way out of your starting zone becomes tired very, very fast.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 08:09:22 AM

This is not EQ1.  Can we at least wait to reserve judgement?  We do not have the information to get all worked up; we were having a discussion about possibly moving.

And I did not say you were ignorant, Sky.  I said you sound ignorant.  And you do.

schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 08:29:07 AM

The majority of EQ players are playing WoW right now. They'll be playing Vanguard in the future. I only see a single zone in the entire game being a real problem for PvP and that's Stormhold. That'll just require some strategy and well, hiding. All I'm saying is, I don't think the populations will be high enough for PVP to matter. I've seen all of 2 evil people Steamfont. One of them was Jeboob while he was doing the betrayal quest. Just sayin.

Edit: And I didnt' say we HAVE to move. If they open a fresh PVE server, I'd rather move to that.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: The New Server Problem  
Jump to: