Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:17:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Question on new class selection process in LU 19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question on new class selection process in LU 19  (Read 12343 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 18, 2006, 05:51:41 PM

It's nice that PvP is separate from the expansion, but it's going to be a bitch at first I think. I'd rather they completely redesign all the classes first (which it seems like they're doing in order to let us make iconic choices) and months of testing later, open PvP. Doing both so relatively close together gives me pause.

Of course, the rules of PvP are not stated though. Will they overly emphasize levels like EQ1, make them brackets like WoW, or not incorporate levels into the equations at all like nobody else has yet had the balls to do? I like virgin servers and all, but not unproven rulesets in a genre about Time.

Not that all of this hinges on my opinion of course.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 19, 2006, 04:54:04 AM

le sigh

Please fucking tell me you aren't all going to bail from Steamfont? I like the idea of fresh server and discoveries and whatnot, but I'm really enjoying playing my Dirge and enjoy having the guild around. So what's the scoop? Is this the fickle turning point already? I expected it to happen sooner or later as it always does, but damn guys... So it looks like we have some folks going to the evil side on Steamfont and then some will be bailing to PvP soon. If you all decide to quit/scatter/reroll/whatever, at least toss me guild leader rights before you all quit.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 05:10:18 AM

le sigh

Please fucking tell me you aren't all going to bail from Steamfont? I like the idea of fresh server and discoveries and whatnot, but I'm really enjoying playing my Dirge and enjoy having the guild around. So what's the scoop? Is this the fickle turning point already? I expected it to happen sooner or later as it always does, but damn guys... So it looks like we have some folks going to the evil side on Steamfont and then some will be bailing to PvP soon. If you all decide to quit/scatter/reroll/whatever, at least toss me guild leader rights before you all quit.

FYI being on the evil side is not bailing.  We will discuss the PvP server situation once more information comes out addressing how they will handle deployment of those servers. 

I have already begun testing interactions between good/evil, and so far so good.  We have too many people wanting to go evil to just ignore them.  Plus being a defiler sounds rad.   

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 06:14:12 AM

le sigh

FYI being on the evil side is not bailing.  We will discuss the PvP server situation once more information comes out addressing how they will handle deployment of those servers. 

I have already begun testing interactions between good/evil, and so far so good.  We have too many people wanting to go evil to just ignore them.  Plus being a defiler sounds rad.   

I don't really care about the good/evil issue as I can still talk to people and eventually group with them anyhow so that's cool. I guess I am more concerned about server switches. The only reason for this is that I play so casually, but I guess it really doesn't matter either. My play schedule isn't impacted by anyone else, nor does it impact others. If we all decide to move to a PvP server, I'll just try the Freeport side of things instead. Forget I said anything... Carry on. :)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 06:51:28 AM

Good/Evil is no difference, by the time your 20ish we will all be in the same zones anyway.

A chunk of people changing servers though is going to pretty much kill the guild, again.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 07:07:19 AM

I would switch to an rp/pvp server if they offered them but I have to agree with Mugos... it would probably mess up the guild.  Several people have already left their initial server to be in Bat Country, you know.  I suggest we consider carefully before we consider a switch. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 07:47:30 AM

I don't think SOE will be able to do PvP very well, it was terrible in EQ1 and will be again.  It will take them a year or more to balance and fix bugs before it is even playable, especially since the PvP server will be treated like a second class citizen.  And it sounds like they are going with faction based PvP instead of free for all, Freeport will be crushed by numbers because no one wants to play there.  The city, it's suburbs, the commonlands, even your starting house are all dreary to the point of madness.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: January 19, 2006, 07:49:04 AM

That's exactly why I want to be Freeportian. I LIKE THE CHALLENGE.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 08:03:38 AM

Assassin ftw.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 19, 2006, 08:52:50 AM

There is no challenge, just a soul sucking brown haze.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #45 on: January 19, 2006, 09:09:54 AM

All my previous characters (on the RP server, with my "jboots") were Freeportian. Made it nice coming to Steamfont playing in Qeynos, it's all new to me.

I have zero interest in level-based item acquisition pvp, I'll stick to Qeynos/Steamfont and Freeport/Lucan D'Lere.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: January 19, 2006, 09:23:56 AM

Ok, I'll admit it. It's not the challenge.

There's nothing in the world I love more than a fresh server.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #47 on: January 19, 2006, 10:53:30 AM

So which class is the EQ2 version of chanter?  Because something tells me cc spells will not be pvp balanced for some time in pvp.

AoE mez ftw and all that.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #48 on: January 19, 2006, 11:01:03 AM

Illusionist/Coercer.  The primary complaint, which I assume has led to the low class population, is that combat is both too fast and AOE powers too prevalent for mez to be the deal breaker it was in EQ1, turning EQ2 chanters into Alactiry/Clarity batteries.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #49 on: January 19, 2006, 11:09:25 AM

I will attest to the unnecessariness of mez in EQ2. It is more efficient to have a second group tank taunt the adds and start whaling on them. There is no need for mez without adds since encounters are balanced assuming no mez.

Actually, I take that back a little bit. I have been in a few groups with an illusionist that allowed us to take a named that we couldn;t have done without mezz. The Illusionist kepts the weaker mobs out of the fight while we killed the nameds. It is infrequent though. Basically, an illusionist/coercer will let you take encounters that are safer with two healers with only one healer. If the illusionist/coercer is one of the higher level members of the group, then nameds of the appropriate level become a joke. But this would be true with a high level tank or healer, too.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #50 on: January 19, 2006, 11:14:49 AM

That was my experience in early EQ, though this late in the game it's obviously a lot different. Back when, nobody played enchanters and stuff didn't seem tuned to need them. A year later, they were as indispensible as clerics.

I've always favored a mixed group of people who know how to maximize their class and work together as a team over any sort of rigid formula, and my grouping in EQ always reflected that. My favorite early UO group was 5 wizards + pickup slot usually filled by a necro friend of ours. 3..2..1..BLAM. Later I was a monk in an odd group: monk, rogue, 2 paladins, 2 rangers. We used to kick much ass, and it was fun because we had to be real creative to pull it off.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #51 on: January 19, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

If you roll on a pvp server you better force at least two people to play those classes, and someone needs to play whatever class can drop the best buff against whatever magic type mez/roots are.

Unless someone can silence because that would just be pimp.

I dont know I can't remember EQ combat mechanics very well.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 19, 2006, 12:27:52 PM

Illusionist/Coercer.  The primary complaint, which I assume has led to the low class population, is that combat is both too fast and AOE powers too prevalent for mez to be the deal breaker it was in EQ1, turning EQ2 chanters into Alactiry/Clarity batteries.

Unfortunately this holds true throughout the game until you get to the tier 6 raids. At the top end the mobs do so much damage the main tank has to have 5-6 dedicated healers and can only really survive one of the mobs at a time. There usually aren't enough healers left over to keep an off tank alive so you have to mez. Of course having spent 60 levels without mez made for a nice learning curve as EVERYONE has to figure out which skills break mez. AE's are easy but certain buffs will break it, certain pets break it, sometimes you'll need to Mez switch so you better know which of your attacks have a DoT component etc...

If you have the opportunity I would at least practice with a coercer/illusionist once in a while. Not only is Mez not necessary but it's actually suprisingly hard to even do on a regular basis unless you have tons of room to work.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 19, 2006, 12:46:09 PM

For most of the game enchanters are nice but in most cases people would rather aoe than cc. Tanks in eq2 are studly enough to survive the beating of a fair number of mobs at once unlike eq1 were 1 add was a killer.

That being said if you have a group of people you know having an illusionist/coercer works dandy especially if you get people used to working with you.

At the very high levels people found out that enchanters become more and more nice. Still not required but they do make some of the end game raid stuff a lot more doable.

If you want to be ebil and of a class thats seen less brigands and defilers are really nice. Brigands are the evil varient of the swash buckler and they can kick some major booty. The Defilers are the ebil shaman and are very good main healers and have a lot of debuffing capacity as well. One of the more soloable priests as well the templar and inquisitor can be a bit annoying after a while to solo due to utter lack of dps.

kaid
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #54 on: January 20, 2006, 10:00:22 AM

If you roll on a pvp server you better force at least two people to play those classes, and someone needs to play whatever class can drop the best buff against whatever magic type mez/roots are.

Unless someone can silence because that would just be pimp.

Illusionsists, at least, do I have silence spell.  Their main task in the game, when I played anyway, was sucking the mana out of bosses.  With judicious use of a couple spells, you can keep an enemy stunned for the first part of the fight, and out of mana for the rest of it.  Without their special attacks, most bosses aren't so tough.

Illusionists also bring haste and power regen to the table, just as in EQ1... and a fair amount of DD/DoT DPS.  Not so much as a Wizard or Warlock, but Much better than the EQ1 enchanter.

Caveat: I haven't played my illusionist since early release... My play group switched to evil side, so I started playing an SK, and never really went back to the illusionist.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 20, 2006, 10:20:18 AM

If you want to be ebil and of a class thats seen less brigands and defilers are really nice. Brigands are the evil varient of the swash buckler and they can kick some major booty. The Defilers are the ebil shaman and are very good main healers and have a lot of debuffing capacity as well. One of the more soloable priests as well the templar and inquisitor can be a bit annoying after a while to solo due to utter lack of dps.

kaid

I'll second the thought on Brigand. They are a good DPS class and very underutilized. We've had 6 or so 50+ Brigand masters sitting in our guild bank that we can't find anyone to take.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 25, 2006, 03:57:17 PM

My brigand just hit 20 and I've come to the following conclusion:  I do well against single targets (even heroic) and even better in groups where I can maximize the use of positionals.  Solo against 3+ mobs my durability is a real problem.  With all of the tethered mobs and the number of bosses with a couple of adds, it isn't a class I'd recommend for solo.  My berserker, monk, and warden all solo much more effectively against groups.

Perhaps things get better as I get more class abilities.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #57 on: January 25, 2006, 04:15:48 PM

My brigand just hit 20 and I've come to the following conclusion:  I do well against single targets (even heroic) and even better in groups where I can maximize the use of positionals.  Solo against 3+ mobs my durability is a real problem.  With all of the tethered mobs and the number of bosses with a couple of adds, it isn't a class I'd recommend for solo.  My berserker, monk, and warden all solo much more effectively against groups.

Perhaps things get better as I get more class abilities.

You just need a pet defiler following you around.  THERE IS NOTHING WE CANNOT CONQUER!!!  You up for a FG run later tonight?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 25, 2006, 04:21:25 PM

I should on a little this evening.  I've got some work to finish at home so my presence may be spotty.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Question on new class selection process in LU 19  
Jump to: