Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: The new newbie experience 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The new newbie experience  (Read 10042 times)
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 07:40:46 AM

Really, get that boat back in. It's a unique feature and it's a special thing to have at the beginning of the game. It was one of those moments for me, when you are simply in awe of what is going on. Starting out on the shore of an island is not a special moment and it does not pull you into the game. The boat pulls you into the game.

Perhaps the game can use a system test to determine if your machine is "good enough" for the boat tutorial. A note telling lower level systems that they can try the optional boat tutorial if they want but to not expect good performance would work, no?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 08:07:40 AM

They should get the boat back and tweak it to run better on medium machines, then offer it as a demo for download. Yes, it is short but it is a great way to get a potential new player that much close to buying the game.

I have never played WoW.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 12:45:58 PM

Given that the game has been out this long, the LCD computer has also gone up a bit. While these moves are about delivering a better game for existing players, the changes at the newbie level imply a renewed push either to a larger U.S. crowd, or even to a new international one that may have a lower LCD of computers. Can't imagine many existing EQ2 vets would miss the boat in their normal gaming, and I'd wonder how many actually go through it with each re-roll anyway.

I like the idea of a "system test", providing warning, but also leaving the story element in. For those that can't run it, they could always just have a DOS box come up with some Zork-like dialog:

Code:
YOU ENTER A BOAT
THERE IS A BOSUN'S MATE THERE
THERE IS A CAPTAIN THERE
THERE IS A DRAGON THERE
THE CAPTAIN SEEMS INTERESTED IN TALKING TO YOU

> _

;)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 12:48:45 PM

You better include a lantern just in case it gets dark.  Being eaten by a grue would be a terrible first impression.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 06:59:00 AM

I liked newbie isle.  However, I'd like to jump on the bandwagon wishing for something that described future choices in-game, as opposed to having to find various out of game web references.  Maybe we don't need full-length movies, but a paragraph or two would be helpful.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 07:18:49 AM

I liked newbie isle.  However, I'd like to jump on the bandwagon wishing for something that described future choices in-game, as opposed to having to find various out of game web references.  Maybe we don't need full-length movies, but a paragraph or two would be helpful.

See, the nice thing about the sub-classing system is that you gain all of that information about the classes in-game when you are speaking with the quest givers. It's more organic in the distribution method. I agree that the information should be available in the game, but reading a paragraph about a class at a character creation screen is still much less immersive than voice over dialog with an NPC in-game.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 23, 2006, 12:27:09 PM

See, the nice thing about the sub-classing system is that you gain all of that information about the classes in-game when you are speaking with the quest givers. It's more organic in the distribution method. I agree that the information should be available in the game, but reading a paragraph about a class at a character creation screen is still much less immersive than voice over dialog with an NPC in-game.

Good point.  But now I just see a three-point decision stepping up from mage.  I don't see anything that describes the next steps/classes, flavors, etc.  I'm about to do the level 10 quest again tonight on Unrest for Sorceror (probably).  I'll see if anything has changed.  Definitely would be nice to have the quest direct me to some persona that gives an indoctrination of sorts.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 06:17:18 PM

See, the nice thing about the sub-classing system is that you gain all of that information about the classes in-game when you are speaking with the quest givers
On paper :) The actual execution doesn't really provide much useful information though for the most part. It would have been cool if all of the sub-class quests actually had the player perform actions their role would require, rather than things like the all-dialog one (Enchanter I think) where you have to "convince" someone of something without performing any of the CC actions you would in combat.

The other issue, in my opinion, is that this decision was still one way. No way to change one's mind based on what they found out after playing the class for awhile.

It's for these two reasons I so like Pub 19. It's not that ya know everything about a class by level 7, but you can get a pretty darned good idea of whether you'll like them by that point. And that's about two or so hours of work with enough experience.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 09:13:13 AM

One of my first characters was a rogue.  Now, I had done enough research online to know that that meant swashbuckler - this was EQ after all, and rogue meant DPS.  However, when you do the level 10 quest, and you have to sneak into the house and pick the lock on the chest?  That felt so thief-like, I was fairly disappointed that I wouldn't be seeing that kind of action again.  Oh how I long for an Elder Scrolls-style NPC guild system, with quests and ranks and whatnot, where even if I were forced into being a "swashbuckler", I could still take quests from the Thieves' Guild that let me break into NPC houses and steal their shit.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 10:06:10 AM

The predator one has you go into a house and kill someone.  It's up to you if you sneak to the target or kill everyone on the way.

It was an excellent quest, too bad that once that character became an assassin all pretense of having a reason to be called an assassin disappeared.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 24, 2006, 10:18:20 AM

I realized that my brigand was an assassin because after killing 1 target, I was basically toast. 

I really did like a couple of the low level missions.  I found one instance in the commonlands where I had to sneak around and burn orc seige.  When that was done, I had to kill some trogladyte (sp?) champion in a fighting arena.   Now I find that my stealth is best used gathering crafting components.  Go figure.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 30, 2006, 10:28:04 AM

I downloaded trial of the isle to see how the new classes would play. It's still the old trial.

schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:16 AM

I downloaded trial of the isle to see how the new classes would play. It's still the old trial.

It's not getting an update until Feb. 2.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 30, 2006, 01:41:58 PM

I've been wondering how they'll handle Trial. Ideally a new Trial of the Isle download is available on February 2nd, but I don't know if that'll be the case. I've got a few folks who are interested in checking it out, but not enough to drop a box purchase on (even though it's only $19.99).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: The new newbie experience  
Jump to: