Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:55:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Aquaman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aquaman  (Read 12079 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: January 09, 2006, 07:48:43 PM

I still can't believe someone thinks an Aquaman show is a good idea.

According to both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, actor William Toale has been cast in the title role of the WB’s upcoming Aquaman series. A relative unknown in regards to television and movies, Toale most recently has appeared in a supporting role in a Broadway revival of A Streetcar Named Desire.

And yes, Gogh knows the uphill battle the character might have to face to get some love, again telling Variety: "We call him 'the much-maligned Aquaman,' but when we first pitched Smallville, Superman was considered cheesy. In the comic, Aquaman's the lost king of Atlantis, but in our version, he is Arthur Curry, this twentysomething who owns a dive shop."

I'd say this show is doomed to fail, but WB has kept fucking Charmed around for 7 or 8 seasons so far so what do I know.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 12:15:08 AM by Velorath »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:07:09 PM

This is one of those series that is just a bad idea on a very high level - always having to have water around is going to get very old. I'm predicting -

A series of shark attacks
A giant octopus
A sexy mermaid
etc etc etc...

It's so constrained by the concept. Without actual aqua-people (who can breathe in water and such) having undersea fights or shooting scenes underwater is going to be very hard, but what else can they do? Have most of the adventures on land? How many speedboat accidents and shit like that are they going to have? (Answer: a lot)

Aquaman is inherently an underwater guy and TV shows are not underwater.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 06:41:35 AM

Over and out.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:09:20 AM

It's the guy that cameod as Aquaman on Smallville. He'll do just fine considering the character sucks, the story will suck and the show only needs to reach "total suckage" level to be better than anything involving aquaman in the past.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 08:35:00 AM

In the comic, Aquaman's the lost king of Atlantis, but in our version, he is Arthur Curry, this twentysomething who owns a dive shop."

I gotta say, I like the idea of Aquaman better than most people here, probably (it could, potentially, be interesting if it were handled right).  But then this quote leapt out and punched me in the face.  Holy hell.

Hey, can we do Batman next?  Only instead of owning Wayne Enterprises, he'll be a Stand-Up comic!  It'll be like Seinfeld meets Bewitched!  (P.S. he will also be a witch)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:14:30 PM

Yeah... see, I like the idea of undersea heroes and all.  I mean, it opens up all kinds of Cthulhu-like possibilities for them to deal with.  But as a TV show?  And he owns a dive shop?  What's next, Iron Man working as a middle school shop teacher by day?

I just don't see it working.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 06:02:17 PM

Aquaman is inherently an underwater guy and TV shows are not underwater.

Somehow I just picture them putting glasses of water in front of the cameras.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 11:23:15 PM

It's the guy that cameod as Aquaman on Smallville. He'll do just fine considering the character sucks, the story will suck and the show only needs to reach "total suckage" level to be better than anything involving aquaman in the past.

Smallville's Aquaman was someone different. I hated the idea of Smallvile at first too but ended up watching it every week at the start of last season. This however, no chance in hell.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 10:27:11 AM

That's not true. Peter David had a great run of 30 or 40 issues of Aquaman, and was the best interpretation of the character ever. Unfortunately, subsequent writers have fucked him all to hell again. He's a better joke than a lead on a TV show, which will inherently have budget issues. It will especially suck if they don't do some kind of costume, like Smallville. Did anyone see that drek Birds of Prey? Yeah, that bad.

A dive shop? Baywatch anyone?

They might as well just call him White Fish.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 01:42:29 AM

I don't think these executives realised that the episode of Smallville with Aquaman was simply an excuse to put hottie Lois in a bathing suit to show off those very fine and very fake tits.

They don't realise that the ratings for that particular show jumped due to that very fact either.

le Sigh.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 05:24:45 AM

I don't think these executives realised that the episode of Smallville with Aquaman was simply an excuse to put hottie Lois in a bathing suit to show off those very fine and very fake tits.

Erica Durance should win an award for most needed fake tits in Hollywood. She wins the proper body modification award from me for 2005.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 09:18:15 AM

Not sure about needed.  If you watch the SG-1 episode with her without the tits, she's still really pretty and bangable.  So, needed ?  meh.

Appreciated ?  Damn Right.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 11:59:38 AM

Edit:  Looks like the trailer has been taken down.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 12:15:40 AM by Velorath »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 01:29:21 AM

Aquaman sucks. Robot Chicken agrees.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 01:36:47 AM by Stray »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 08:37:39 PM

She was topless in House of the Dead pre-surgery, looked fine.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 07:27:12 AM

Aquaman is nowhere near as bad as Green Arrow.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 02:57:06 PM

Aquaman is nowhere near as bad as Green Arrow.

You need to read the latest issue. Green Arrow just got a significant upgrade.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 03:09:19 PM

Namor, on the other hand is cool. I never liked him as a kid, but some of the stuff I've run across lately has made me a fan.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 04:44:07 PM

You need to read the latest issue. Green Arrow just got a significant upgrade.

There's not a part of that post I don't find shocking.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 08:10:45 PM

Green Arrow comics.  Lawl.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 11:23:34 PM

Why would a guy with boxing glove arrows and hand cuff arrows need an upgrade in the first place?  Why tamper with that level of crime-fighting perfection?  He can knock you out and then cuff you... using fucking arrows!  Don't you fiuckers understand what I'm telling you!?!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 09:55:25 AM

I've always dug Green Arrow. Hell, I've always dug Aquaman, when he's written well... which hasn't been often.

But don't diss the Boxing Glove arrows. In the latest issue he gets all Batman and shit on Deathstroke the Terminator.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 01:48:12 PM

When CoH was adding the Trick Arrow set, I was praying there would be a boxing glove arrow.

There wasn't.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 05:51:16 PM

Edit:  Looks like the trailer has been taken down.

This one still works
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 12:01:44 AM by Zetleft »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 09:24:57 PM

Wow that looks fucking awful.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 08:04:22 AM

Wow that looks fucking awful.

Meh. I'd have watched it. I've seen much, much worse.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 08:48:13 PM

I've always dug Green Arrow. Hell, I've always dug Aquaman, when he's written well... which hasn't been often.

But don't diss the Boxing Glove arrows. In the latest issue he gets all Batman and shit on Deathstroke the Terminator.

Ok, so having read the issue in question, Green Arrow's upgrade is a year of training in a sword and martial arts?  How good can you really get in a year of training?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 08:40:22 AM

I suppose that depends on who is training you. He'd have access to some really good trainers through Connor's connections with say, Lady Shiva. Not to mention the fact that instead of just bludering into a situation in the typical Ollie, hot-head way, he's actually preparing for an attack from Deathstroke instead of playing it by ear.

Now, that may not hold up, since Ollie has always been a bit of an erratic character. But it was a great way to bring him back in OYL.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 09:48:06 PM

What a coincidence.  Here we have a topic about the Aquaman pilot which ended up as a discussion about Green Arrow, and what news was just revealed?  Apparently the guy that played Aquaman in the pilot has been cast as Green Arrow in Smallville.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 12:53:19 AM

Joe Kernan on CNBC apparently on hallucinogens.

He's apparently referring to an episode of Entourage, but doesn't understand that the show is... fictional.

EDIT

I don't know what happened there, but it's fixed now so there should be an actual link explaining what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:24:55 PM by Llava »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 03:55:14 PM

I swear to god, you all should be fucking fired from life for not mentioning Entourage for 28 posts, FUCKING SHAME ON j00z!@!!

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Aquaman  
Jump to: