Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Marvel Lawsuit Settled 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Lawsuit Settled  (Read 2365 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

on: December 14, 2005, 04:33:13 PM

Marvel Entertainment, Inc., NCsoft® Corporation, NC Interactive, Inc. and Cryptic Studios™, Inc. are pleased to announce today that they have amicably settled all claims brought by Marvel and all claims brought by NCsoft, NC Interactive, Inc. and Cryptic Studios, Inc.

The parties' settlement allows them all to continue to develop and sell exciting and innovative products, but does not reduce the players' ability to express their creativity in making and playing original and exciting characters.

Therefore, no changes to City of Heroes® or City of Villains'™ character creation engine are part of the settlement. The parties have agreed that protecting intellectual property rights is critically important and each will continue aggressively to protect such rights in accordance with all applicable laws.

While the terms of the settlement were not disclosed, all parties agree that this case was never about monetary issues and that the fans of their respective products and characters are the winners in this settlement.

The above was posted by CuppaJo in that mammoth Official Marvel Lawsuit thread.  I haven't seen an actual press release, but the wording above seems to indicate Marvel saw the writing on the wall and decided to tuck tail and run.

Over and out.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:28:06 PM

all parties agree that this case was never about monetary issues

Ya-huh. Sure.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 03:08:27 AM

Why on earth would someone put something as unbelievable as that in writing ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:01:04 AM

Marvel wanted damage control, Cryptic wanted out of the suit.  Their client base suspends disbelief long enough to go along with super hero's, why wouldn't they believe that Marvel's suit was about a higher purpose?  Believe dammit! Excelsior!!1!!1!

Yes, I've still not had enough coffee that I feel compelled to answer a rhetorical question.  I R SMRT!
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:06:45 AM

Because nerds online naming their characters W0lv3r1n3 pose a serious threat to Marvel's future.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 08:24:18 AM

That's actually pretty much the exact text of the press release.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 06:08:00 AM

It's likely because Marvel wants to get their own MMOG out at some point, so I'm sure the settlement has something that protects them against Cryptic suing them for ripping off CoH features  independently creating things that may appear in obscure areas of Paragon City.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Marvel Lawsuit Settled  
Jump to: