Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:23:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: X3 Teaser Trailer online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X3 Teaser Trailer online  (Read 18286 times)
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 09, 2005, 06:13:49 PM

What they did with the Juggernaught is a fucking travesty.

I can't help shake the feeling that I'm watching some Drew Barrymore directed, Charlie's Angel-ized version of the X-men.  All that gravity defying crap, and heavy cgi; it just felt like too much in that trailer.  And maybe Mr. Grammar will do the role justice, but I couldn't do anything but say "FRAZIER" to myself everytime I saw that blue fucker.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: December 09, 2005, 06:29:59 PM

The black chick behind him to the right is Callisto (I found this btw), which could mean that the others are Morlocks.
DevilsAdvocate
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 13, 2005, 07:38:43 PM

I read the credits somewhere on the intarweb and one of the other girls is Stacy X. I wish I knew who that was.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 05:33:31 AM

X Slut apparently.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: December 14, 2005, 09:20:51 AM

I read the credits somewhere on the intarweb and one of the other girls is Stacy X. I wish I knew who that was.

Ahhhh, fucking hell. That's the chick I thought it was. She was a "member" of the X-Men for like 10 issues, then forgotten completely when the book switched writers (from Joe Casey to Chuck Austen). She was a prostitute at a mutant brothel where normal people paid to have sex with mutants as a fetish thing. She could tweak people's pleasure centers I think. That was about it. Based on how she left the X-Men, she was a throwaway character. Shit, you might as well put Cecilia Reyes in there for all the importance in overall X-Men lore she had. I think she left because she had the hots for Havok, who meanwhile got the hots for the school nurse, who also left or some shit.

Seriously, outside of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and some decent Austen stuff, the X-Men has become a really shitty soap opera since Morrison left.

DevilsAdvocate
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 14, 2005, 07:13:35 PM

Ah, OK. I am guessing the "X" part of her name is supposed to be a sly nod to Ecstacy the drug.

I wish they wouldn't use characters that aren't really that well known in X lore. I know the fans are waiting to see guys like Gambit and Bishop, but I highly doubt anyone is interested in the least in seeing Stacy X. If they needed a female character, why not Havok and Polaris?

I kind of get the feeling that Callisto is being introduced so that they can spin her off into the rumored "Storm" movie.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: December 15, 2005, 08:27:14 AM

I wish they wouldn't use characters that aren't really that well known in X lore. I know the fans are waiting to see guys like Gambit and Bishop, but I highly doubt anyone is interested in the least in seeing Stacy X. If they needed a female character, why not Havok and Polaris?

Havok and Polaris would make a lot of sense, seeing as how it'd be easy to explain their presence. The only person who gives a shit about Stacy X is the goddamn hack director.

I kind of get the feeling that Callisto is being introduced so that they can spin her off into the rumored "Storm" movie.

After Catwoman, Halle Berry never deserves a starring role again. ESPECIALLY in a superhero movie.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 15, 2005, 12:45:10 PM

I guess it's too much to hope that Stacy X is being included so they can kill an X-Man in the movie without worrying about pissing off a segment of the fanbase?  Yeah, probably.

Over and out.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #43 on: December 15, 2005, 12:49:07 PM

I guess it's too much to hope that Stacy X is being included so they can kill an X-Man in the movie without worrying about pissing off a segment of the fanbase?  Yeah, probably.

Stacy X was included because the director had a hard-on for a "sex mutant". Seriously.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #44 on: December 15, 2005, 05:30:13 PM

Ah, OK. I am guessing the "X" part of her name is supposed to be a sly nod to Ecstacy the drug.

X-cutioner, Agent X, Xternals, Weapon X, Adam-X (also known as Xtreme), X-23, X-Man, Soldier X... they really don't need much of a reason to throw X into the name of a character or a book.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #45 on: December 29, 2005, 09:23:36 PM

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #46 on: December 29, 2005, 09:41:14 PM

best known for her fighting and telepathic skills as well as an ability to transport herself and others through shadows.

Huh?  Did I miss her doing that, uh, ever?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #47 on: December 29, 2005, 09:58:31 PM

best known for her fighting and telepathic skills as well as an ability to transport herself and others through shadows.

Huh?  Did I miss her doing that, uh, ever?

You didn't miss much, but yeah it happened.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #48 on: December 30, 2005, 09:56:57 AM

I thought she was best known for being really hot, having the first "modern" female costume and those pink mind blade thingies.  Mostly for being really hot.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 10:34:35 AM

I thought she was best known for being really hot, having the first "modern" female costume and those pink mind blade thingies.  Mostly for being really hot.

Hasn't she died and come back 2 or 3 times?

I was still reading when they sent her through the gate-thing and she got reincarnated as ninja-Psyloche....
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 30, 2005, 10:59:15 AM

She is best known for "man, I don't feel like drawing some plain brit - let's find some bullshit way to turn her into a hot busty asian chick!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: December 30, 2005, 12:12:48 PM

Yeah, she had the ability to teleport through shadows for a while. Her abilities have constantly changed, mainly because she was so goddamn boring of a character, no one wanted to bother writing her consistently. Yes, she's alive... AGAIN. With no explanation for how she's alive, just another in a long series of Chris Claremont subplots that might get finished by him two years down the line.

Blearg. X-Men 3 sounds like it's going to have WAY too many characters to have a coherent plot built around the copious explosions and car tossings.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #52 on: December 30, 2005, 05:25:27 PM

I remember her being a kickass character in a Sega Genesis X-men game.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #53 on: December 30, 2005, 11:44:27 PM

Blearg. X-Men 3 sounds like it's going to have WAY too many characters to have a coherent plot built around the copious explosions and car tossings.

I'm hoping they're mostly cameo appearances like we've seen in the other two movies.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #54 on: May 25, 2006, 11:46:37 PM

Damn, 56% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Will probably check it out later today though.

The X-Men have survived mutation, persecution, and supervillainous foes hell-bent on their destruction. But can they survive Brett Ratner?

Well, no.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:49:18 PM by Stray »
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 26, 2006, 03:52:33 AM

The movie was weak.

I'm sure a number of lines of the movie will be very quotable, to the point where you may have to kick people out of your guild if you play any MMOs, and there were some darn nifty special effects... but overall the movie was bland and uninspired.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #56 on: May 26, 2006, 10:38:04 AM

Pretty weak is right.

[edit]

Seriously, the X-Men franchise has been completely destroyed. If there ever was a time to use the phrase "jumped the shark", then this might be it [BIG SPOILER: Jean, Scott, and Xavier DEAD! Fucking dead. Mystique, Rogue, and Magneto -- no longer mutants. Wtf? ]

The shining moments are the effects. Something Singer didn't go all out with --- But it lacks all the depth X-2 had, and in my opinion, that's a bad tradeoff.

If it wasn't an X-Men movie, it'd be no better than the Fantastic Four or Elektra.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 05:51:45 PM by Stray »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #57 on: May 26, 2006, 06:46:19 PM

Stray, the last shot undermined half of your spoiler.

Overall I thouhgt it was decent. Maybe not up to 1 & 2 but its hard to sustain that level over an entire series of movies. Singer may have been able to do it but Ratner did okay.  I enjoyed it and so did my wife who is a big fan of the prior movies.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #58 on: May 26, 2006, 06:50:35 PM

If it wasn't an X-Men movie, it'd be no better than the Fantastic Four or Elektra.

I liked Fantastic Four.  :-(

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #59 on: May 26, 2006, 06:52:32 PM

Stray, the last shot undermined half of your spoiler.

I think it was just too much, and an extreme way to add "depth". Like they were just compensating for the lack of any other dramatic ideas.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 26, 2006, 07:22:16 PM

I've been reading that the studio rushed Ratner to get it done before Superman's release (thereby shortening the schedule considerably) and mandated the length of the film (it was crowded I will admit) so its shortcoming maybe the fault of the "suits."

Oh, and there are good reasons for the other half of your spoiler:

These actors were only signed up for 3 films so they likely couldn't have gotten them back for any more.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 07:42:13 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #61 on: May 27, 2006, 01:27:02 AM

Stray - regarding the first word in your spoiler, I knew that was going to be the climax of this movie anyway, its ripped right from one of the classic comics. The rest of it suprised me, but as I mentioned in the thread I started, some of its undone in the damn after the credits clip anyways.

The movie had plenty of flaws, but honestly, I liked it better than the first one.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #62 on: May 27, 2006, 02:25:26 AM

Spoiler [ I still can't get over the fact that Scott, Jean, and Xavier are dead (which I guess what you might be referring about the end credits), but let me comment on some other things.

The idea of Xavier or Jean dying isn't necessarily a bad one really, but if they are going to bring these kind of tragic closures to the Mutant War, they would have been better off with 2 films (a 3 and a 4). Hell, I could have been happy with one 2 1/2 hour or 3 hour film. Instead, they tried to compress all of this shit into 97 minutes.

Some things seemed fitted in just for the sake of it. Like the Sentinels (a subject so important to the X-Men storyline that it alone could have been the basis for one film).

Instead, we get Phoenix, Sentinels, Trask, Beast, Angel, Juggernaut, the Morlocks/Callisto; the deaths of Xavier, Jean, and Scott; the fates of Rogue, Mystique, and Magneto, and whatever the hell else.

That's way, way, way too much to handle for one film (if those events are going to be meaningful). Everything just felt like a cheap, fast, cliffnotes version of a better story.

Some of the newer elements could have been really fucking cool too -- Like Callisto (who was great whenever she was on screen) or Pyro's and Iceman's rivalry. Or Juggernaut. For the little time they treated these parts, they were good -- But in the end, I just felt teased.
]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 02:33:51 AM by Stray »
Llava
Contributor

Reply #63 on: May 27, 2006, 04:19:31 AM

SPOILER (the entire post, just move on to the next one):

Killing Xavier.  Wow.  Balls.  So, as I said in the non-spoiler thread, I'm of two minds about this.

Part of me objects on the basis that doing something like that is a cheap shock.  Sort of a gimmick that comics try to do to boost sales. Kill a major character, etc.

However, part of me thinks it was handled quite well given the time constraints and the setting.  It seemed appropriate.  I also violently rebel against the people who (like the friend with whom I saw the film) say things like "You just can't kill Xavier!"  Listen, that's exactly the attitude that makes comics suck these days.  You're not allowed to significantly progress the story, because fans hate that and bitch about it.  But at the same time, they bitch that nothing really ever happened.  I feel the same about Magneto's loss of his powers.

Now, I am of course aware that Xavier is not really dead.  I am also aware that they intend to undo Magneto's power loss with the little wiggle of that chess piece they showed.  I'm putting those aside for the moment.

Things I wished:
I would've loved a shot of the fiery Phoenix.  My friend and I were discussing how cool it would've been during that last scene to have massive psionic flames emit from Jean, and show them crossing the sky all around the world, to finally back up and have the iconic shot of the Phoenix cradling the world in its wings.  Maybe too much, but the nerd in me would've loved it- especially if they'd shown something like the Hulk or Daredevil in another city watching the flame cross the sky.
I would have liked to see Psylocke at least "unsheathe" the psiblade.  She didn't even have to use it on someone, just show it off for a second.
I wish Cyclops got better treatment in the movie.  They basically threw him away right at the start.  Waste of a good character.  In fact, it seemed like such an obvious waste that I almost didn't believe he was dead until the last few minutes of the movie.
Nightcrawler.
I think they should've skipped Juggernaut and gone with another character for that part.  Didn't really fit, was only related to the Juggernaut in name.  I also didn't like the look and attitude of Jamie Madrox, but really that's nitpicking. It was a cameo at most.
Would've liked to see Quicksilver, even not related to Magneto.
A better actor for Angel would've been nice.  The guy's movement acting was particularly bad, with the wings flexing and the running to jump out the window.  Just... cheesy, poorly done.
Less "blue paint" more "blue fur" for Beast.

Things I really liked:
They gave me my "Oh my stars and garters." line from Beast. That's all I asked.
Imagine being a guard at Alcatraz, and you find you're being invaded by the Golden Gate Bridge.  Suddenly, you think back to the advice your grandfather gave you when you were just a kid.  "If you're ever on guard duty at Alcatraz, and the Golden Gate Bridge attacks, you head for the hills, boy.  Don't you try and fight that bridge."
As always, fun to watch the references. Stan Lee and Chris Claremont in the 20-years-ago scene, the various mutant names popping up, the Sentinel, Trask, etc.  Just nice tidbits to give fans something to giggle over.  I don't mind that they didn't go fully into the Sentinel story, it was just a Danger Room exercise.
By the way, they finally have a Danger Room.
Mystique as the president, cracked me up for some reason.
Iceman in full icy form.
Halle walking down stairs in a rush.  Always a pleasure.
Car bombs. Clever idea.
Other stuff, but this is long enough already.

Verdict- enjoyable, fun, good movie. Not art.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 27, 2006, 05:28:19 AM

Maybe we should just create a spoilers thread so we can ditch the blank posting.

-H.L. Mencken
Llava
Contributor

Reply #65 on: May 27, 2006, 09:16:43 AM

But I enjoyed that.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 27, 2006, 11:17:28 PM

I thought the movie was ass, but the special effects weren't as embarassing as I thought they'd be.

The Juggernaut alone was enough to ruin the movie for me, and I like the Vinnie Jones.

Didn't like the acting.  Didn't like the lore changes made to certain characters.  Didn't like the direction they took Xavier in.  Didn't like how they handled the main characters from the first 2 movies.  Plain didn't like the story.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 28, 2006, 07:14:57 AM

Halle walking down stairs in a rush.  Always a pleasure.

Giggle.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Llava
Contributor

Reply #68 on: May 30, 2006, 09:12:02 AM

Plot hole:

I forgot that McCoy showed up in the second one.  McCoy, for those who don't know, is Beast.  In the second one, he's a regular looking guy.

That means in this series, they did intend the blue fur to be some crazy sciency fuckup or whatever independent of his mutation.

So Leech's powers shouldn't have changed his appearance.

Before, I just assumed they made it part of his mutation.  Clearly they did, but without realizing they'd already said otherwise.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: May 30, 2006, 09:42:32 AM

Actually, he was on TV in the FIRST movie, I think, not the second one.

But in the comics, Beast started off looking like a human, and then later his mutation kickstarted and he became blue and furry. Even later, his mutation changed him again, into less of a monkey-looking man and more of a cat-looking man that he is now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: X3 Teaser Trailer online  
Jump to: