Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online  (Read 26590 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: May 24, 2004, 09:18:34 AM

I'll play you online, Haemish. I used to play Warhammer 40k and I stopped because of the type of fans you are describing are exactly how you described them. It is scary shit.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 24, 2004, 12:17:32 PM

I will play Dawn of War online with Kaid here.  That is probably about it.  And about all I really need.  Maybe if we find some of our other online friends playing.  Hopefully the AI functions decent in skirmish mode so you can play 2 coop humans vs 2-6 AI opponents.  That is how I prefer RTS anyway.  Coop.  I get overly frustrated losing RTS games otherwise.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #37 on: May 24, 2004, 12:36:19 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Hopefully the AI functions decent in skirmish mode so you can play 2 coop humans vs 2-6 AI opponents.  That is how I prefer RTS anyway.  Coop.  I get overly frustrated losing RTS games otherwise.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about RTS games.  If you need another human to coop with when this comes out, look me up! :)

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Miscreant
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 24, 2004, 01:55:31 PM

Tabletop 40K rules are carefully designed to bring out anyone's inner jackass.

If talked into playing, I carefully remind myself that the rules are vague, arcane, unenforcable and often nonsense.  I chant three times "I must not care whether I win or lose -- the object of the game is to make a cool-looking, temporary diaroma."  Then it's passably fun.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: May 24, 2004, 02:47:00 PM

Hell, I don't even like RTS online co-op. I simply play no RTS online, no pause feature. The only reason I can even play RTS is using pause to make it a 'virtual' TBS. I'm old or something.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 24, 2004, 03:12:24 PM

Quote from: Arthur_Parker

Quote from: Riggswolfe

Look, if you play a game and don't like it bitch all you want. It's sorta silly to bitch about something you've never tried. It reminds me of those senators who try to get video games banned when most of them have never even seen one. If it is egomaniacal and condescending to say try it before you say you don't like it then I guess every parent on this planet is a condescending egomaniac.

It's fine to post you don't like PVP, it's fine to insult those who like a different playstyle (inbred 12 year olds), in fact it's almost a requirement in some parts.  It's also fine to insult the work of devs for a game even before the Beta starts (lazy developers), I just think it's funny, given your earlier statement.

The reason I insult PvPers is

1) I've had too many bad experience with PvPers to give them much credit. From being griefed, to having PvPers lead the "Nerf it!" bandwagon I just don't like the mindset generally. I'm speaking of hardcore PvPers here and not the casual types who may engage in it if given a choice

2) PvPers often come across as very arrogant on game forums. "You just don't like challenge" or "You're a pussy in real life because you don't like PvP."

Yes, I insult the devs for lazy development work because bluntly PvP is basically flipping a switch to let Players kill each other then calling it a "player-driven game." What this usually means is that the devs don't have the talent/time/desire to make good PvE content.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 24, 2004, 03:22:21 PM

Quote from: Sky
Hell, I don't even like RTS online co-op. I simply play no RTS online, no pause feature. The only reason I can even play RTS is using pause to make it a 'virtual' TBS. I'm old or something.

Right there with ya.  If I'm looking to be frenzied I'll play an FPS.  If I'm playing a strategy game I want to take my time, micromanage everything to my heart's content, and while away the hours.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #42 on: May 24, 2004, 03:27:48 PM

Riggswolfe, I don't care why you do it, I just thought it was amusing to see, given your previous statement.  

I imagine that I don't agree with you on a lot of things but the hardcore PvPers being the leaders of the nerf it bandwagon is just a crock.

My experience is that the hardcore PvPers are playing the overpowered classes that end up nerfed, as they quickly identify the fastest way through the level grind to get to the pvp.

As pvp has been generally level based and in pvp level based game, level rules all, they are generally faster levelers.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #43 on: May 24, 2004, 03:33:28 PM

You mean you guys don't like competing with a 14yr old Korean kid that plays 10 hours a day, types 200 wpm, and has enough caffeine in him/her to kill a small horse? GAWWWD, pussies.

Really, I'd enjoy online RTSs if they didn't force you to have an optimal build order, to memorize all of the short cut keys and to be on your toes, wired into the game for hours at a time.  I'm just not 16 anymore.

This is perhaps why the turn based, tactical squad strategy games are just the pinnacle of gaming for me nowadays (along with RPGs of course).

Sorry for the aside, the above has little to do with the topic of the thread.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: May 25, 2004, 08:23:43 AM

Quote from: Rasix
Really, I'd enjoy online RTSs if they didn't force you to have an optimal build order, to memorize all of the short cut keys and to be on your toes, wired into the game for hours at a time.  I'm just not 16 anymore.

This is the reason I'm hoping for a good single-player skirmish mode, because I refuse to play RTS's online with people other than those here. I'm not fast enough on the mouse to be anything other than meat to the vast majority of online RTS players with build orders memorized.

schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: May 25, 2004, 08:36:10 AM

What are you talking about? I just got warcraft III and I love getting owned in 5 minutes by a full army of orcs. What? That's impossible? Tell that to these prepubescent jerkoffs who make fun of you after you get annihilated.

It's ok though, I told them their mother is a cunt.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #46 on: May 25, 2004, 11:09:45 AM

So long as we're on the topic of RTS games, I'll point out that the Perimeter Demo shows a game that attempts to reinvent the genre from the ground up.   I don't think that they've entirely done away with the "twitch is teh win" that you'll see in Warcraft/Starcraft but the game seems to require quite a bit more brainpower to win.

schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: May 25, 2004, 11:11:48 AM

I've played it. I'm gonna have a review up on it in a couple of days (hopefully by the US release). Reinvents my cock and balls. What it does is cripple my machine and brings back nightmares of zerg rushes.

Edit: But now the zerglings can morph into snipers who can morph into, yegah just make it all go away.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 25, 2004, 11:28:14 AM

Quote from: schild
What are you talking about? I just got warcraft III and I love getting owned in 5 minutes by a full army of orcs. What? That's impossible? Tell that to these prepubescent jerkoffs who make fun of you after you get annihilated.

You should have said they were fags I think.  Or fagity faggot fag fuckers of fagdom.  I have never seen as many brainless uses of the word 'fag' as I did while watching my son in law play Warcraft 3.  Apparently it is the new 'fuck' for the leet kiddies.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #49 on: May 25, 2004, 11:34:06 AM

Hmm, so they moved from using the word "gay" relentlessly to "fag".   I shall make a note of it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #50 on: May 25, 2004, 11:35:19 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
Quote from: schild

You should have said they were fags I think.  Or fagity faggot fag fuckers of fagdom.  I have never seen as many brainless uses of the word 'fag' as I did while watching my son in law play Warcraft 3.  Apparently it is the new 'fuck' for the leet kiddies.

Any inference that one's opponent is anything less than staunchly heterosexual is a mortal insult for the <18 set.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 25, 2004, 11:44:26 AM

No, only the moronic inbred < 18 crowd.  There are other types.  Some are actually smart.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 25, 2004, 01:18:11 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

Any inference that one's opponent is anything less than staunchly heterosexual is a mortal insult for the <18 set.

You're not kidding there.  My main character in COH is a tanker named Captain Pansy, and I made him about as gay looking as possible.

Half of the people I run into get the joke, the other half spams me with "OMG, FAG U SUK!!!!11!!"  Granted, I'm probably immature for creating the character in the first place, but that reaction is just mind-bogglinginly retarded.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer Online  
Jump to: