Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Marketing model 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marketing model  (Read 986 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: November 23, 2005, 07:38:33 AM

I've been thinking over a few things with the launch of the 360 and Xmas titles, and was trying to find a simple marketing model to classify existing offerings with.  Sorry I put this in PC/Consoles, since could also apply for MMO's.  I could only find the old Boston Consulting Matrix, so I was wondering if anyone new of anything more relevant.  I tried thinking up something like the following kind of product positioning graph:

Simple explanation: "This graph compares the attributes of your offering with the best of your competition in each category. Ideally the display for your product will form a circle around the extremes of the graph. This evaluation will force you to consider the strength of each of the competitive offerings and how you must position your offering to face them."  citation  (Ignore the blue lines within it -- I just put in some random values (1-3) that shows a sample.)

I wanted to capture how, for instance, WoW stacks up against new entrant MMO's or new 360 titles against other Xbox releases.  So I created the categories:

Relative Cost of title Vs. Innovation in game
Accessibility (ease of play, time to learn) Vs. Depth of gameplay or detail
Overall Quality and polish Vs. Stability of GM or Live product
Performance Vs. Customer Service levels

This not commercial, just some future thinking for me.  Appreciate any feedback.  Thanks.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:07:51 PM

The problem with that sort of evaluation method is that it doesn't "weigh" the importance of the various categories. For example, if WoW is a representative example, Service and Stability are far outweighed by Accessbility for Play (except in pathological cases like ess bee dot ee ex ee).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Marketing model  
Jump to: