Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:20:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: A PayPal / Online Selling Sob Story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A PayPal / Online Selling Sob Story  (Read 3304 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: May 12, 2004, 03:31:21 AM

Haven't seen anyone else post this up, so for interest's sake...

Link to to a PayPal story about someone who was buying $2300 worth of platnium in EQ and got burnt. While I'm more terrified of someone wanting to spend $2300 real dollars on EQ in-game equipment, the story is interesting imo.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040506.html

Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 06:07:11 AM

Sony doesn't specifically allow it, but Sony also doesn't do much to prevent it, so the practice is widespread.

This is disingenious.  Here's the official policy, right off the SOE web site:

I have seen third party websites, who sell credits and items for money.Would it be ok if I purchased some for my EQ account?

Unfortunately this is deemed cheating and your account maybe suspended or banned,

Selling of Cash, Accounts Characters or any other content of the game violates the policy of the EULA. (see below)

7. You acknowledge that you are bound by the terms and conditions of the Software License and Limited Warranty that accompanies the Game. You acknowledge and agree that you have not and will not acquire or obtain any intellectual property or other rights, including any right of exploitation, of any kind in or to the software, artwork, music, and other components included in the accompanying CD-ROM (the "Software") or the Game, including, without limitation, in any character(s), item(s), coin(s) or other material or property. You may not use any third party software to modify the Software or to change game play. You may not create, facilitate, host, link to or provide any other means through which the Game may be played by others, such as through server emulators; additionally, you may not engage in matchmaking for multi-player play over unauthorized networks. You may not decrypt or modify any data transmitted between client and server; you may not use or distribute macros or other programs which would allow unattended game play. You may not take any action which imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load (as determined by us) on our infrastructure. You may not buy, sell or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell or auction) any Account or any Game characters, items, credits or copyrighted material or any other intellectual property owned or controlled by us or our licensors.

People who make a business out of this crap range from "somewhat dodgy" to "would steal the fillings out of their grandmother's teeth".  I'm feel sorry for these guys who got outscammed, but probably not for the reasons they would want people to feel sorry for them.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 06:12:08 AM

I started to write up something about it, but closed it out.  I'll sum up what it said.

Someone sold some plat to a guy on ebay with a high rating, whose account name was some variant of Yantis (same crew who sells plat).  His score was high because of other people with variations of Yantis (odd, eh?).  No way to know if it really is Yantis or not, without being Ebay.  No way to know if the story happened at all, since everything about it was fed to a noname reporter.

It's interesting though, that the news article on the Themis site which announced working with IGE/Yantis is no longer present.  This is where it used to be.  Maybe they got burned over that move, and canned it, or just hid it.  Either way, fuck you, Themis.  I'd really hoped you'd do something good for the industry, not willingly work for these virtual crack dealers.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 08:58:17 AM

As was said over on Corpnews sometime during a hissy slap fight, Themis stopped working with IGE/Yantis about a month after they started working with them. No reasons were given for the breakup, though it seemed to be mutually something or other.

WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:36:24 AM

So the guy paid $2300 and didn't get his plat? What is the difference? He obviously didn't need the $2300 if he is buying FAKE FUCKING MONEY. Sucks that he got scammed, but asshats like him are why these scammers exist.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 09:46:35 AM

My philosophy has always been if a game sucks so bad that you need to invest real-world dollars to achieve things, you shouldn't be playing it. I've never spent a red cent, nor would I, on any items nor characters nor anything in a video game.

Otoh, when I was 'unemployed', I did make a nice bundle off ebay selling cheesy EQ crap and UO houses, because I feel if someone is dumb enough to pay me for having fun playing a game, what the heck? I discontinued when I was employed, and I think that the ebay factor in many ways hurts aspects of mmogs (people camping items just to sell them on ebay denying 'normal' players of drops, driving an already rare market to become even more rare).

I got a good laugh when my buddy the eqholic got burned trying to buy a manastone for $400. While he was unemployed. Moron.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 10:09:59 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
So the guy paid $2300 and didn't get his plat? What is the difference? He obviously didn't need the $2300 if he is buying FAKE FUCKING MONEY. Sucks that he got scammed, but asshats like him are why these scammers exist.

No, he got the plat and then he took back his $2300.  He scammed the EQers out of their fake fucking money, and then presumeably sold it to other EQers, for real fucking money.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 10:16:20 AM

Ahh Ok.

LMAO!

My derision still stands.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 02:44:31 PM

Quote from: Alrindel
Quote from: WayAbvPar

No, he got the plat and then he took back his $2300.  He scammed the EQers out of their fake fucking money, and then presumeably sold it to other EQers, for real fucking money.

Works for me.  We need to see more stuff like this.  The whole ebay for loot system won't work if the sellers can't trust the buyers.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 03:59:40 PM

Quote from: Alrindel
People who make a business out of this crap range from "somewhat dodgy" to "would steal the fillings out of their grandmother's teeth".  I'm feel sorry for these guys who got outscammed, but probably not for the reasons they would want people to feel sorry for them.

I have a friend who does a quite robust buisness selling UO Gold by the millions right now. He runs some where around 30+ UO account, most scrpited to do some sort of money making. I think mining.

He is a totally stand up guy, and treats it like a real job. Its funny, but some days he pulls in $800+.

Thats insane to me. But, if people are willing to buy, others will find a way to sell.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: A PayPal / Online Selling Sob Story  
Jump to: