Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Patch Notes for Nov. 3rd Update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch Notes for Nov. 3rd Update  (Read 24008 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #70 on: November 17, 2005, 11:56:47 AM

I believe that damage which is added via a Strength bonus still counts as damage of the base type.  So if you're doing 1d8 (base) +2 (str) damage with a longsword, and you roll a 4, you do 6 points of 'slashing' damage.  Which then gets mitigated down to 3 or whatever.  Sneak attacks, feat enhancements, magical enhancements, and probably more I can't think of all do the same thing.

Conversely, if you're using something like (say) a flaming weapon that adds +1d6 fire damage, and you roll a 3 on that, you'd do 6 points of 'slashing' and 3 points of 'fire' damage.  So something that takes half damage from slashing weapons but full fire damage would take 6 damage, something that takes full damage from normal weapons and double damage from fire would take 12 damage, et cetera.

As another example, in 3E, a Flame Strike spell does half its damage as 'fire' and half as 'divine', which means that if the target is immune to fire but not to divine wrath they still take half damage.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 17, 2005, 12:45:37 PM

I have fond memories of my first assault on the crypt with a sickle in one hand and a club in the other.

I ran through the crypt the other day with my new Warforged Barbarian (18 STR, min/maxed him) and simply smashed every crypt running from one to the next to see if it did anything buggy to the instance. Nope. Instance held up well and I found myself being followed around by something like 8-12 skeletons. When I finally decided to deal with them, I put my back to a wall and just kept swinging my starter greatclub. In most MMOs, this would have been insta-death, but here I was able to take them down with relatively little damage. Nice to know I don't have to do the quest quite the exact same way every time.

Switched to a starter shortsword for the zombies but didn't think to see if I could get all 3 on me at once.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: November 17, 2005, 12:58:57 PM

I tried to get through the crypt solo with my bard, and it was impossible- the shortsword I started with does piercing damage. I got the hell kicked out of me several times; finally gave up and got some help. Much easier with a cleric and sorcerer along  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #73 on: November 17, 2005, 01:10:04 PM

I tried to get through the crypt solo with my bard, and it was impossible- the shortsword I started with does piercing damage.

Ditto with my rogue.  I died multiple times until I shelled out a few gold pieces for the sickle and the club combo.   :-D  Once I started using appropriate weapons, I was able to solo the quest easily.

Also, Cure Light Wounds does damage to undead.  I think that's how I got through that quest with my bard - just spammed heals on any undead that scared me.  Owned.   :mrgreen:

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #74 on: November 17, 2005, 01:19:31 PM

I cleverly took Sleep as my 1 bard spell instead of CLW. Not quite as effective on undead (or robot dogs, for that matter).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Xilren's Twin

Reply #75 on: November 17, 2005, 02:20:41 PM

I tried to get through the crypt solo with my bard, and it was impossible- the shortsword I started with does piercing damage.

Ditto with my rogue.  I died multiple times until I shelled out a few gold pieces for the sickle and the club combo.   :-D  Once I started using appropriate weapons, I was able to solo the quest easily.

Also, Cure Light Wounds does damage to undead.  I think that's how I got through that quest with my bard - just spammed heals on any undead that scared me.  Owned.   :mrgreen:

Actually the first character I ever tried that quest with, a wiz, i ended up killing the skeleton captain by luring him into the acid trap.  Did that once on the Ogre in the "kobolds new leader" quest too.  Good times.  Course, I dont think they should call that "misadventure"; I call it "cleverness".

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #76 on: November 17, 2005, 02:37:55 PM

I agree.  You should get double XP for any objective completed via "misadventure" IMO.   :-D

Xilren's Twin

Reply #77 on: November 18, 2005, 12:20:44 PM

Played some last night and aside from some sever stability, only had 1 problem.

In a sewer missing, was trying to run up a small hill with water flowing down it and I couldn't make it.  Would get near the top, then it was like the current caught me and pushed me back down the hill.  Was very annoying.  Worked onthat for 5 minutes.  Eventually, in my trials, i ran up as far as I would go, then quickly turned around and was able to back up the rest of the way. Weirdness.

Pawn shops; seem nice, but don't seem to be type specific yet.  The on inthe fighters house has the most stuff.  Pricing is pretty steep.  I sold a +1 Thundering Quaterstaff for 1500 gold, they listed it for sale as 9200.  Prices ranged from 9000-20000 for most stuff, though i did see a +4 weapon for 45000 before I logged off.  +1 Armors seems to be in the 6000 range.

hadn't tried this voice chat yet.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 18, 2005, 12:24:19 PM

See I thought that water flowing down thing was a "puzzle". Moving backward from the bottom up worked every time for me. ;)

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #79 on: November 18, 2005, 03:43:10 PM

Took a while but finally got voice chat to work.  I hate having stuff around or in my ears, however, and will check out how it works using my speakers and the mic.  I should think it would work okay.  THANK YOU, ORIANA!  She is the apple of my ear.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Patch Notes for Nov. 3rd Update  
Jump to: