Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL/Battlefield Europe...any better? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWIIOL/Battlefield Europe...any better?  (Read 4909 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

on: October 28, 2005, 06:13:19 PM

I was just wondering if current players of the game could let us know the current status of the game?   Is it any better?   Do the poor Brits still have to fight off the Pz4G with the Crusader?  Do the Axis still win most games?
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:36:52 PM

Well that would be me I guess,

Feature review here

The poor brits are still stuck with the Crudsader III to fight the IVG and Stug. So...no. We did get the C47 though, so BEF paratroops can get to the front line quicker (the French are still stuck with the Ju52).

HOWEVER, we can now RDP the Churchill. This version has 152mm of front turrent armour and uses the Shermans 75mm ammo. Meaning it's not so good as the Crud III at KILLING enemy tanks (the 6 pounder is better) but it's welll neigh invunrable. It's also slower than a running infantryman.

The French get the M10...which IMHO, sucks. It's got a very good gun...crap armour AND NO ROOF. Trust the US to make a tank vunrable to anything straffing it from the air.

The Germans get....The Tiger. No more need be said really,. you all know what a Tiger's going to be like. However, the Churchill can survive it somewhat, and the M10 can kill it somewhat. An attack with Churchills and M10's would be pretty good (and I've seen Churchills in the beta kiill Tigers at close range while the Tiger couldn't kill the Churchill). However, to kill the Tiger you WILL need to flank it...or sapper it (with it's slow turrent speed this is actulaly realaivly easy...though the M10's is worse).

Bascialy 1.20 was a overhall of the light engine and the UI to find a fight. If you have a new video card you can have bloom and fancy light that makes the game loook better or blurry, depending on your point of view. The sun looks quite nice though and looks as good as the sun in HF2 does I think. Frame rates are about the same as 1.19, but the stuttering is reported as gone with a lot more consistanet level of FPS. My stuttering I to had has gone. There's new speedtreefied grass too, and a couple of new buildings.

Large image of Sun effect here

The UI changes are mostly to the map. You can now SEE everyone on your misson ON the map. You can mark enemy locations. The misson commander now actulaly DOES things like mark rally points, attack points, confirm enemy contact reports, have his /orders appear at the top of everyones screen. The misson commander has a new colour for when he types and everyone on your misson gets a different coloured tag too. So the gameplay additon of this is quite good. So the gameplay additon is good, but not as world changing as I thought it might be. However, an orgaizned group of players can now REALLY orngaizne themselves very effecitly.

Best little change was the Opel was nurfed. It's still the fatest ON road truck, but it's now the 2nd slowest OFF road truck. Apperntly there are plans to fix the other trucks, but that hasn't happened yet.

Read me for 1.20 is here

Re-release in Europe is Nov 11 (in england at any rate) so the'll be a lot of green tags around next fortnight. Re-relase for the US market is next year...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:45:09 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 08:37:03 AM

Don't have much info on WWIIOL but I've always been a bit intrested in it. Is it close to DoD, CoD or MoH? Damn, they really should provide a trial.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 10:16:32 AM

Well, unlike all those other games, it's

Massive
Multi Sim (inf/tank/guns/trucks/fighter/bomber/patrol boat/DD)

This also means the graphics are NOT equal to Half Life 2. Or MOH. Sortof. The infantry grahpics arnt as good, but you're playing on a server 400,000 square kilometers in size. The sun's nice, and the trees are good IMO. It also means the sim aspect is very strong (it is typical to be one shot dead, no taking entire magazies of damage like MOH, and there ain't no instant heal medics either). War can be hell. Its nearly pure PVP (the only AI is static gun emplacments).

It's closer to planetside, or much closer to IL2 (the flight sim part).

There are on again off again free trials every few months...but it's getting re-released so don't expect one too soon. I'll post when there's the next one.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 08:52:17 PM

Better is a relative term. You should ask is it worth it?

Of course, the answer is no.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 01:00:23 PM

This also means the graphics are NOT equal to Half Life 2. Or MOH. Sortof.

There is no sort of. None at all.

You can thank Big Gulp for saving you.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 01:31:23 PM

The AT guns did not get an update, so the gunners look crap, yes. The planes and tanks are quite good, but thats my opinion.

BOTH those shots are pre 1.19, which was before the last 2 graphic updates (The AT/AA guns hasn't improvesed, the big city buildings have a higer resoltuion now).

Right click and save of a 39meg movie a player made in 1.19. It shows off most of the ground graphics, good and bad.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 03:15:50 PM

The French get the M10...which IMHO, sucks. It's got a very good gun...crap armour AND NO ROOF. Trust the US to make a tank vunrable to anything straffing it from the air.

Minor technical quibble--the M10 is a tank-killer, not a tank; hence the open turret and shitty armor.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 05:17:03 AM

Ok, you ASKED, and you shall RECEIVE.

FREE PLAY THIS WEEKEND

It's the normal server, not a beta or separate one. Currently the front is stable ON the Meuse. The French have lost Montefucon but the BEF just secured Antwerp again. It's a good time for a free trial.

Also, the game was released in Australia 2 days ago (euro version. Comes in CD sized box, with TPGO colour map, and 50 page manual. There is also a full version of the manual in PDF format on the CD, think Falcon 4 Allied Force style, though it doesn't have training missons, it does have a extensive glossary of terms including WOOT, WTF and WTH).

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 05:24:17 AM by Comstar »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL/Battlefield Europe...any better?  
Jump to: