Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:14:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Special beta test invite...! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Special beta test invite...!  (Read 15516 times)
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

on: October 24, 2005, 10:52:42 PM

OK, so I am trying to sucker you in. ;)

I've outgrown the hosting at LegendMUD--they don't always have the bandwidth to handle the occasional Slashdotting or BoingBoinging.

Anyone wanna check out http://www.raphkoster.com and see if everything survived the transition, what's broken, what should change, etc? In return, you can spam my comments or something.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:44 PM

No frames!   Heart

Looks good from what I can see, but I was just clicking random links is all.  It's what I usually do.   embarassed

EDIT - BTW, some very nice art doodles there.  Meetings and other such events always seemed to bring out the best in creativity in me as well.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 11:08:23 PM by RhyssaFireheart »

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 11:24:55 PM

Goddamn that looks better than the old site. Now go make a compelling game. evil

Edit: Two dead images on the "Games" page. Unless you meant to have the little red X. In which case, very avant garde. I don't understand this art.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:49:50 AM

Ian Rankin is good, but ordering ALL the books in a oner ?  That's a bit mental.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 01:28:33 AM

Purdy.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 03:24:46 AM

Great looking site.

Center the page if possible.

Get rid of the ? in the copyright.

If you can at all make the Previous Entries link at the bottom smaller, do it.  And space it down from the text of the article.

gaming/index.shtml has a grey bar going across the Firefox logo that makes it break the gold bar going down the right side of the page.

Two broken pictures on gaming/index.shtml

Text on gaming/index.shtml not centered right on the yellow bars and moving off said bars into the grey.

The grey bars on the firefox image are also on writing, music and art.

I reserve the right to say I read in 1024 x 768 and so these may just be my computer being iffy.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 06:00:45 AM by SuperPopTart »

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 04:56:14 AM

It really is nice looking site.   Do you have something planned for the right side?  If not, then yeah... what PopTart said... centered would be good.

I got a Ian Rankin book a few years ago for Christmas and really like it... I've read more since.  (See?  I actually read   your stuff!)  Since Righ and his family are Scottish, I'm pretty much assured of something Scottish every year.  This past year it was a tea towel with strange little sayings on them.  ("Haud yer wheesht!")  If you haven't already, you should keep an eye out on the Inspector Rebus series.  John Hannah is teh sexay!  Well, maybe you won't think so... but I have a thing for very smart, arrogant Scottish men.   smiley

I can buy your book at Amazon for $15.63. 

Just sayin'....

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:45:47 AM

Looks good in Firefox, Opera and Safari for me. I like the new layout a lot better than the old one.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 08:59:46 AM

I can't get it to load. I will assume it is wonderful, however.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 09:57:00 AM

Looks good. I'd try to add that background you have at the top running all the way across the page (no matter the screen size) whether you center it or leave it left-aligned.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 10:06:09 AM

Welcome to the dark side! Now that you're a blogger, you can pick up your "I <3 Jack Thompson" t-shirt in the foyer.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 11:26:18 AM

OK, I got it to load. Apparently my office was having connectivity problems earlier. Is the right side  filled with ads or something? I have an ad blocker, so all I see is a lot of empty space...

Overall, good clean design. I wonder if Ian Rankin is a distant relative of mine? I wish I cared enough to investigate  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 11:56:59 AM

At the top the Home Gaming Writing Music Art change font size and move off of the yellow bar under it once you move off the index page. This is using IE and Firefox.  I agree either center it or consider making it dynamic so that it will change size regardless of resolution. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 02:05:06 PM

OK, I got it to load. Apparently my office was having connectivity problems earlier. Is the right side  filled with ads or something? I have an ad blocker, so all I see is a lot of empty space...

Overall, good clean design. I wonder if Ian Rankin is a distant relative of mine? I wish I cared enough to investigate  :-D

We can settle this quickly...How large is his head?

Raph
Developers

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 08:37:41 PM

Ian Rankin is good, but ordering ALL the books in a oner ?  That's a bit mental.

I read really fast. Really really fast.

When I find a new writer I haven't read before that I like, I tend to go buy out the catalog and read 'em all. I'm perenially short of writers, you see. I have a backlog of books to read, but many of them I just dont enjoy that much.

Other recent writers I have fiended: Laurie King and Scott Westerfeld.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. We'll try to get as much fixed as we can. I note that just about none of you actually signed up to comment. Phooey, how am I going to get a decent conversation going in the comments if nobody signs up to say anything?
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 09:06:02 PM

I note that just about none of you actually signed up to comment. Phooey, how am I going to get a decent conversation going in the comments if nobody signs up to say anything?

Too many places to sign up at.  Maybe offer signed copies of your book?   smiley

Good site btw, and glad to see you actively blogging.  Didn't realize you've been at it a while - hated seeing it dead for a long while.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 09:08:24 PM

I note that just about none of you actually signed up to comment. Phooey, how am I going to get a decent conversation going in the comments if nobody signs up to say anything?
Raph, reading game blogs is cutting into my play time.  I can't stalk every designer in the damn field.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Raph, reading game blogs is cutting into my play time.  I can't stalk every designer in the damn field.

No, but I can.  I shall begin first thing in the morning.   Love Letters

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 09:44:14 PM

uh oh.

Raph
Developers

Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 10:24:05 AM

Sure, but I'm one of the ones worth stalking, right? You can just stop reading the others. ;)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 12:21:10 PM

Wow, Raph, how do you walk around without a neck brace when your head's so big?  :-D

Nice looking site.  I'll have to add it to my frequenly visited places.  As for registering.. I don't do it until I have something to say.  That way I have to think before replying.  Same reason to stay logged-out of most places I visit. Usually keeps me from getting myself into trouble.    Usually.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 12:27:01 PM

Per your plea for people to register I have done so, though I doubt you would want one such as I in your community.  Good read as usual!  It is funny that last week I took a gander at your old site and wondered to myself "Sheesh, when will this man step into 2001?"   Well seems like you did admirably!  Flipping through some of your diatribes on gaming now;  by any chance are you going to bother with a forum or will you stick with comments only ala Lum?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 03:08:15 PM

I would have been happy to stalk you earlier... even if you are guitar playing, mud progging hippy.  Probably a pot head still subscribed to The WELL, to boot.  It's all good.  I just don't feel like it anymore.  I lost all my energy in a poker game.  I can't be arsed to do anything dodgy these days.  I did, however, sign up on your site.  Don't worry... I'm much too tired to cause any trouble.

Raph
Developers

Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 03:15:00 PM

I'm the squarest hippie ever, Signe. :) And never was on The WELL.

I had thought about forums, but frankly I don't want to deal with moderating them... What are the odds everyone would be civil?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 03:49:03 PM

What are the odds everyone would be civil?

Rofl Waffle Thanks, that made my day.

Ohh, and I like the new site design.  Too much dead space on the right, but at least it doesn't look like your typical MUD webpage anymore. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:53:17 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 04:49:19 PM

I don't know what I was thinking... you're much too young for The WELL.   

I've seem a lot of the people from here who contribute on other boards and they almost never act like themselves.  F13 just brings out the inner misanthrope, I think.  I'm sure you could convince someone else to moderate it for you, or at least help, because you have, like, a job and stuff.  It's the easiest format to encourage discussion... second only to a den, comfy chairs and refreshments.

Raph
Developers

Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 05:04:30 PM

Even young people can be on The WELL; I had a chance to be on it back in the early 90s and just didn't bother. :)

I think we've fixed most of the things that people mentioned ni the thread as problems. Don't quite know how to fix the resizable thing. It's designed for 800x600, and that means that it never gets wider than that. The old site used frames which resized dynamically; this uses fixed size coluns in css. I didn't do the CSS, my wife did it to learn it... how would you get it to be resizable given that the top banner is an image like that that doesn't tile?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 07:51:21 PM

You should have.  I did and it was really interesting.  It's where I developed a big crush on Howard Rheingold ... I  Heart old people, anyway... even though he's insane.  I bet you two would have got on like a house on fire, too.  A lot of other very cool people were also there.., who are ever "insaner".  I was very into "virtual communities" back then and those sorts of people are who inspired me to become involved in conferencing systems and developing muds.  Gee... it seemed so much more fun back then!  Now I just lay about and almost stalk people.

Anyway... I think the site looks very nice.  I didn't even notice the wee errors but then, I'm not inclined towards pedantry.  If it's purdy and shiny, I likes it.

Raph
Developers

Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 09:41:41 PM

Rheingold and I have *almost* intersected many times... we have several friends in common.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 12:41:26 PM

I'm pretty sure in the CSS, you can set the column widths to be percent-based instead of just pixel-based. I was actually thinking old skool style HTML with tables when I talked about the resizing. Make a table that is 100% width, with the top table cell background being that background image you have at the top.

But if you didn't use tables, never mind.  :-D

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 06:00:58 AM

Even young people can be on The WELL; I had a chance to be on it back in the early 90s and just didn't bother. :)

I think we've fixed most of the things that people mentioned ni the thread as problems. Don't quite know how to fix the resizable thing. It's designed for 800x600, and that means that it never gets wider than that. The old site used frames which resized dynamically; this uses fixed size coluns in css. I didn't do the CSS, my wife did it to learn it... how would you get it to be resizable given that the top banner is an image like that that doesn't tile?

You can set the image to be a % of the size of it's surrounding box.  It will resize auto-magically though you can end up with artifacts due to compression and etc...  Getting a page that sizes correctly to an n by n dimensioned browser window can be a little tricky but it's not impossible.  You'll find that most sites use a fixed size content area and then pad around the outiside, it's a nice clean effect.

Some links for the wifey:

Wiki of CSS topics

The CSS Zen Garden is an excellent site for some examples of what can be accomplished through proper seperation of content from design.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Special beta test invite...!  
Jump to: