Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Which Server(s) Will You Play Villians On and Why? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Server(s) Will You Play Villians On and Why?  (Read 9027 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: October 23, 2005, 10:42:42 AM

(For those who will play CoV, I mean.)

I'm wondering.  I haven't decided yet.

Will you play on the servers you have Heroes on, or different servers?   (I'm not sure yet)

Will everyone play on Freedom, the most active server?  (Probably at least one toon to try it there)

Are most people in supergroups?  (I'm not but I guess I will start looking for one)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 11:08:59 AM

If anything, I'd buy CoV for the Supergroup stuff. /meh to the rest of CoV.

If I came back, I'd rather just try grinding up a CoH character.

The characters I play the most are on Freedom and Victory (controller and scrapper respectively).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 11:36:36 AM

Probably Victory since that's where all my foozles are.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 03:29:17 PM

My supergroup is moving to Virtue.  Better community there, and casual roleplaying if anyone feels like it.

We have one person desperately trying to get us to put our villains on the same server as our heroes, because he has delusions of duels between the two groups, but most of us are running out of space and 4 slots won't be enough to satisfy us.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 03:42:04 PM

4 slots won't be enough to satisfy us.

Heh
Llava
Contributor

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 03:53:09 PM

To paraphrase one of my SG mates:

It will be a Llava army the likes of which the world has never seen.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 03:55:23 PM

To paraphrase one of my SG mates:

It will be a Llava army the likes of which the world has never seen.

Llava is synonymous with grind, rite?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 04:35:24 PM

Llava, damn!  I have been pronouncing your name "Llarva" ever since I met you!  Has it always been like that or did you recently change it?

Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 06:19:46 PM

My supergroup is moving to Virtue.  Better community there, and casual roleplaying if anyone feels like it.

Why thank you, we aim to please. Good to see another F13'er on Virtue.

Wiiiiii!
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 10:03:11 PM

I have my tanker on Victory, but if everyone goes to virtue thats cool.  I'm avoiding it until the reset to minimize burnout, but has anyone but me pre-ordered that will be on when the 'real' game starts 10/29? 

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Llava
Contributor

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 11:53:54 PM

Llava, damn!  I have been pronouncing your name "Llarva" ever since I met you!  Has it always been like that or did you recently change it?

Always been like this.  Not sure where you thought you saw an R, but twas never there.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 08:53:26 AM

If I decide to play CoV at all.. it'll be wherever I either:

A. Have the most characters.
B. Signe is. I <3 the Signe. She's like my younger, more beautiful, kinder sister.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 09:04:56 AM

Except that I'm older than you.  But who's counting years?  Not me!  Or maybe I'm odder than you....  anyway, since I only have level 30-something characters on Victory, I'll do Villains anywhere.  I don't mind where we go.  If I play, that is.  I don't think there is any advantage or disadvantage to having your heroes and villains on the same server.  It really just limits the number of character slots in a game that DEMANDS many, many alts.  I'm willing to make characters on any server.  Actually, if they do offer any brand, new servers, I'd probably gravitate towards those.  Think of all the free names... names are loot in CoH/CoV, you know.  I could be Spidey Girl or Bat Lady!  Super Femme!

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 09:34:43 AM

So we don't get new character slots?  We have to use up our 8 slots with both villains and heroes?

I preordered.  No idea  yet what or where I will play.  If I have to use the same slots, I guess Virtue or Freedom, since I don't have toons there yet.  I'm easy, though, I'll go anywhere.

Is there a difference between a brute and a tanker besides higher offense, lower defense?  And I presume the difference between brute and scrapper is lower offense and higher defense?

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 09:45:14 AM

You get 4 more slots per server and can use any of the 12 on heroes or villains.

Over and out.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 10:53:03 AM

I will be on Virtue.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 11:20:01 AM

My SG is trying to decide if we want to stay on Virtue where all our heroes are or move to another server so we have the full 12 slots to make villains with. I'd rather move to another server because I think I'll make more than 5 villains.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 05:27:37 AM

So we don't get new character slots?  We have to use up our 8 slots with both villains and heroes?

I preordered.  No idea  yet what or where I will play.  If I have to use the same slots, I guess Virtue or Freedom, since I don't have toons there yet.  I'm easy, though, I'll go anywhere.

Is there a difference between a brute and a tanker besides higher offense, lower defense?  And I presume the difference between brute and scrapper is lower offense and higher defense?
Brutes have tanker offense and scrapper defense.

However, "tanker offense" turns into "HULK SMASH!" after you spend a little time giving and taking. For this reason many Brutes have a few 'stoke fury' powers optimized for speed and endurance and a few 'finishing blows' optimized for damage and accuracy.

--GF
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 09:27:43 AM

For this reason many Brutes have a few 'stoke fury' powers optimized for speed and endurance and a few 'finishing blows' optimized for damage and accuracy.

Super strength is a very nice brute attack set (energy as well), and knock down helps tremendously in keeping enemies from hurting you, but my char concept calls for dark/fire...  I still may go SS/Fire.

I want to suggest to Cryptic that they should use a more complicated method of generating fury (factor in recharge and animation times, which would make dark more attractive), but they probably already considered it so I'll just keep my mouth shut (dark is already very attractive).  Char concept would also fit SS/Dark, but the /Dark secondary seems counter productive to Fury.  Choices, choices.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 01:16:28 PM

The thing about Dark is that it has so many "recharge" abilities that it balances itself out.  Between Dark Regeneration and Dark Consumption, once you're well-slotted there's almost no reason to have to slow down.  Since Fury really, really rewards moving at as fast a pace as possible, Dark/Dark or Dark/Fire would be the hands-down best sets if there wasn't some tradeoff.

Brutes are not quite Scrappers and not quite Tankers, but the role they fill in a group is closer to Scrapper.  You will lay the smackdown.

I logged on my level 2 Brute last night and soloed for like an hour, zoomed my way up to level 7 or 8.  Could one-shot minions with a full Fury bar.  It's awesome.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2005, 05:13:50 AM

I'm still @Signe, by the way.  I made my villains on Virtue but I'm not sure about that server.  Everyone talks in (())s.  Even on /broadcast.  I assume that when someone asks me what sort of car I drive without the (())s, they are arr peeing and I should say "Aston Martin", no?

Llava
Contributor

Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 08:50:34 AM

I'm still @Signe, by the way.  I made my villains on Virtue but I'm not sure about that server.  Everyone talks in (())s.  Even on /broadcast.  I assume that when someone asks me what sort of car I drive without the (())s, they are arr peeing and I should say "Aston Martin", no?

Batmobile.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 09:38:16 AM

Someone asked me if Bloody Bay was laggy and I told them I wouldn't answer until he put the question in (())s.  So he did.  And I said, (( dunno )).   smiley

Llava
Contributor

Reply #23 on: October 30, 2005, 10:11:56 AM

Someone asked me if Bloody Bay was laggy and I told them I wouldn't answer until he put the question in (())s.  So he did.  And I said, (( dunno )).   smiley

Golden.  I think you will really enjoy screwing with people on Virtue.

For a while it looked like our SG might've stuck with Infinity, but I do believe we've landed on Virtue.  I didn't preorder so I'm not in until tomorrow (probably late tomorrow, given that it's Halloween and I have a busy day).

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 07:27:56 PM

My SG also put their villains on Virtue.  I have no idea why.  Lookout for the Hall of Doom!

In other news, I still don't have CoV, and have no particular desire to pick it up.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #25 on: October 30, 2005, 11:35:10 PM

30 MINUTES UNTIL I CAN UPGRADE!!!

I don't know why I'm excited.  I've already played the game.  I think it's the Achiever aspect in me, going "Yeah, but THIS time it's on live servers so it counts!"

Usually I beat him into submission, but he's getting the better of me right now.  Insert homosexual joke  Rimshot

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #26 on: October 31, 2005, 04:59:42 AM

Insert it yourself, you noncey old plonker you!

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 08:10:09 AM

I ended up getting the collector's edition of CoV for my birthday so I'll be installing it and playing it at some point in the near future. My kids are enjoying the little HeroClix figures.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 09:00:12 AM

Well you need to take them away from them, break them and tell the kids that Funcom is the devil and destroyed the Battletech universe, oh and the whole clix system sucks nuts.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 11:52:57 AM

So - I couldn't log into NDA last night so I installed COV. Anyone actually playing?

ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 08, 2005, 12:11:05 PM

Currently playing on Virtue. Look in the Batnet global channel to see if I'm on. Global name is ClydeJr.

My stalker is up to lvl 21. I do well in PvE both solo and in groups. I haven't tried PvP that much. It is difficult because of the prevelence of damage auras, tactics, and AoEs knock you out of stealth so easily. Getting in a big battle is suicide for me. I have to find someone on the fringes to take out and run away.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 08:03:33 PM

I'm pretty much just restarting after an loooong hiatus from CoH. Keep an eye out for Anoxic, Paramyxoviridae, Duterium or Exothermica on Virtue. Like usual, I can't decide on a character template. Not to mention that the guild I was in once upon a time has long since detonated into a pile of goo.

Ah well.

Oh yeah. @Daeven
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:24:39 PM by Daeven »

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 11:08:33 PM

My guild's on Virtue too... man, getting 2mil prestige for the base is HARD. Name is @Zaphir if anyone cares.

-- Z.

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #33 on: November 09, 2005, 06:44:58 AM

I am running around with a plant/plant dominator on Virtue by the name of Verdant (some damn long name here for fungus roots, that I was way to much in a stupid rp mood to have really used, but am now stuck with).  I know.. to much info...

So, there is a batcountry channel?

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #34 on: November 09, 2005, 07:05:26 AM

Yes, there should be a Bat Country channel.  I've not been on for a couple of weeks for some reason, but I'm sure I'll still play from time to time.  Lately, games are pissing me off... have no idea why... I think I'm just grumpy or something unusual like that.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Which Server(s) Will You Play Villians On and Why?  
Jump to: