Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Noob questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 21479 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: October 19, 2005, 09:00:54 PM

How do you sell items?  I have a tower shield that I'm told is worth 3 GP, but I can't seem to double-click it or drag it anywhere (except to destroy it).  Is there some trick I'm missing?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 09:22:34 PM

When you're in a store, click on the merchant, choose trade from the conversation window, then when that window comes up, click on the Sell tab and you should be able to double click to sell any item that has a price listed below it.

There are some items (like the cheap weapons you get from that early quest) that you cannot sell, and some magic items that simply say "too expensive to be sold here".

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 10:01:29 PM

That sounds about like what I was trying.  I'll try again, though.

Another noob question: how does stealth work?  I'm a rogue and would like to sneak up on things so I can poke them in vital areas.  Is sneaking automatic or should I enter some sort of special "stealth mode"?  I bound a key to "walk mode" but don't see it doing anything when I press it (either holding it down while moving or as a toggle).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 10:58:54 PM

Never mind, I figured it out.  (Tip to other noobs - skills and feats that require active use can be dragged from your character sheet to the action toolbar.)

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 11:06:48 PM

Should I be annoyed that I don't gain back health over time?  I mean even real people heal over time, no? Especially since I'm half way to level 2 and can't even afford one heal potion.   I'm also not liking not getting xp for killing stuff. 

The forums are nearly unusable by me, for some reason.  I get tons of errors and it's as slow as can be.  Is this the same for everyone?  Or am I just lucky again?

Does /alias work?  I can't seem to set one though I don't get a msg saying I can't.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 11:27:47 PM

I tired writing /alias Ben Affleck.

And it said: "Thursdays at 8PM, Affleck fucks up your precious TV. Lol."

I swear to god it said lol.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 12:18:48 AM

You only heal in taverns.  Took me a little while to figure that one out, but I kinda like it now.

Not getting XP from kills isn't bothering me at all, since it means I can sneak around bad guys instead of fighting them and not take an XP penalty for doing so.  Yay rogue!

BTW, the "collect the miller's taxes" quest needs to be nerfed.  A rogue can complete it trivially by sneaking around the metal doggie, and you're allowed to repeat the quest any number of times, each time getting a pretty decent reward.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 04:40:19 AM

You only heal in taverns.  Took me a little while to figure that one out, but I kinda like it now.

Not getting XP from kills isn't bothering me at all, since it means I can sneak around bad guys instead of fighting them and not take an XP penalty for doing so.  Yay rogue!

BTW, the "collect the miller's taxes" quest needs to be nerfed.  A rogue can complete it trivially by sneaking around the metal doggie, and you're allowed to repeat the quest any number of times, each time getting a pretty decent reward.

Actually, be on the lookout for rest points in dungeons too.  There are areas that have 3 obelisks, one is a rest shrine, on a resurrection shrine, and one with no use yet.  You can click on the rest shrine to heal some/all of your HP and ALL of your spellpoints.  If you are in a group and a member dies, they drop a soulstone you can carry to a rez shrine to bring them back to life.  I think the first quest you see one on is the "retreive the daggers" quest in the noob area.

They know about the problem repeating easy quests, and the miller one has been specifically mentioned.

BTW, Signe o' ignorer of tells, the healing bit is the main reason I rechose my class as a cleric.  I tend to solo a lot and the having my own healing spells just makes it that much more doable b/c there are dungeons that dont have any rest shrines in them...

Xilren

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 07:26:56 AM

Did I ignore tells?  Sorry... like I said before, that tiny, funny looking font makes my eyes cross.  I just found out that I can resize that window... the little pully thingys are hard to find and the chat box was very itsy bitsy for some reason.  I'll try and pay more attention... tells should make a sound.  Sound is goofy too, though, so maybe not.  Also, I go afk a lot because of death frustration. 

I know about inns and rest thingys in dungeons... I used to play loads of single player D&D games years ago... and I'll try not to become irritated with it.  Because Sam says so.  And he's wise.

Maybe I'll make a healer... I wonder how many healers there will be when the game goes live?  I bet they add healing over time by then!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 07:44:09 AM

The miller's taxes quest won't even let me in the damn door. Or at least it didn't two weeks ago when I tried it. So I just moved on (to a quest that was way too hard for me and died many times).

Signe, the UI is in obvious alpha mode, and is usually one of the last things spruced up. You know this!  0.0 DPS The whole UI definitely needs work though.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 08:57:24 AM

Should I be annoyed that I don't gain back health over time?  I mean even real people heal over time, no? Especially since I'm half way to level 2 and can't even afford one heal potion.   I'm also not liking not getting xp for killing stuff. 
Don't be a traditional mmog player.

OMG it's not like EQ!

(The chat box has underwent a few changes already, don't get used to it, it was different in two alpha 0 screenies I've got)
Ahh, yes. If they can exploit it, they will. I will never understand this. I've done that quest with a half dozen characters and never thought about repeating it. I'm not a good gamer, I guess ;)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 09:41:15 AM

But... but... they make me WALK to the inn everytime I need to heal!  WALK!!!  Well, it's more like a skip.  And it's SOOOOO FAAAAAR AWAAAAAY!!!  If God had wanted us to go long distances without using cars or elite mounts, he would have given us wheels instead of feet.  I don't really mind the UI and I realise that's it's mostly the last thing to think of, I was just explaining my lack of noticing X's tells.  Once we get it all together, however, it would be nice to use TS regardless of the state of the chat box.

I think half my problem is that I need to be grouping.  This is D&D and according to everything I've read and people have told me, it's all about a group and a compaign.  Since they say they'll be sticking as close as possible to the pnp game, I'm assuming this will also hold true. 

Sekret message to the resident dev:  If you give me healing over time, I won't tell.  Promise.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 10:14:38 AM

I don't know what this means but I'm terribly excited!

Greetings Stormreach residents!

The Coin Lords of Stormreach are pleased to announce that starting next Tuesday, October 25, the Wayfinder Foundation will be holding weekly gatherings for all Stormreach adventurers. The first of these regularly-scheduled events will take place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time.

The Wayfinders will be making a more detailed announcement of their own on Friday. In the meantime, mark your calendars and save the date for what's sure to be an exciting evening!

Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 10:55:14 AM

A few quick things...

We know the beta forums are way too slow. We're going to have this resolved in a week or two. Possibly even moving to new forums.

You don't heal over time on purpose. Basically, if you could heal over time, getting hit by a trap would be meaningless since you'd just stand still for a few seconds and then be healed up. Basically your hitpoints and spell points are a finite resource when on a quest. As far as healing outside of a quest, you have to do that in an inn.

Miller's quest is a known issue. ;)

Signe, what confused you about that update?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:02:30 AM by Calandryll »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 11:05:38 AM

Well, considering I can't actually get anywhere on the beta board... I'm not entirely sure what a Wayfinder Foundation is but I'm all up for a weekly gathering!   I'm know it's worse for me on the board, however,  because there is a bunch of shit being scanned for some job Righ is doing this week.  I literally have no luck even going from one thread to another at the moment, so my knowledge is very sparse.  I was able to get around a wee bit before a brick wall went up on my side.  He should be done with the scanning by the weekend, I hope.

(don't think I didn't notice that you ignored my sekret message!)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 11:14:49 AM

Signe, what confused you about that update?
It was in english.
Calandryll
Developers

Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 11:52:03 AM

Well, considering I can't actually get anywhere on the beta board... I'm not entirely sure what a Wayfinder Foundation is but I'm all up for a weekly gathering!   I'm know it's worse for me on the board, however,  because there is a bunch of shit being scanned for some job Righ is doing this week.  I literally have no luck even going from one thread to another at the moment, so my knowledge is very sparse.  I was able to get around a wee bit before a brick wall went up on my side.  He should be done with the scanning by the weekend, I hope.

(don't think I didn't notice that you ignored my sekret message!)
Ah that's just the fiction we wrap around the event. The exact gameplay details of each event will be posted on Friday before the event.

Trust me, you don't want healing over time. It's bad for you. Yea, that's it!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 11:54:27 AM

You don't heal over time on purpose. Basically, if you could heal over time, getting hit by a trap would be meaningless since you'd just stand still for a few seconds and then be healed up. Basically your hitpoints and spell points are a finite resource when on a quest. As far as healing outside of a quest, you have to do that in an inn.

I noticed on the quests I was doing that I could just leave the instance, go back to the inn and heal up, then come right back in. Most of the time, I wasn't gone long enough for the mission to reset itself. Is this an exploit, or meant to be? I was solo on the mission, but would it still hold up for group missions?

One other amazing thing happened. I was in the mission with the captain of the guard in the masoleum. I had just engaged him in combat when I got booted off. I think my computer reset itself (which it was doing a bit before it died). When I rebooted and returned to the mission, I was still in the exact same place, in the middle of combat with the captain. Is that by design? If so, I'm impressed.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 12:01:04 PM

I noticed on the quests I was doing that I could just leave the instance, go back to the inn and heal up, then come right back in. Most of the time, I wasn't gone long enough for the mission to reset itself. Is this an exploit, or meant to be? I was solo on the mission, but would it still hold up for group missions?
That's a good question. We're still debating how leaving an instance should work. And yea, it gets a little more complicated with parties.

One other amazing thing happened. I was in the mission with the captain of the guard in the masoleum. I had just engaged him in combat when I got booted off. I think my computer reset itself (which it was doing a bit before it died). When I rebooted and returned to the mission, I was still in the exact same place, in the middle of combat with the captain. Is that by design? If so, I'm impressed.
That is by design. Eventually the dungeon will reset, but if you crash and come right back you will usually pick up where you left off.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 03:39:37 PM

Is there a way to have more than one hot bar up?

I found the wee arrow that I swear wasn't there before.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:47:53 PM by Signe »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 04:41:50 PM

I love this game.  Smashing crates and barrels brings me so much happiness. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 08:24:34 AM

You're part of Mario's family, aren't you?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 08:57:35 AM

I love Mario.  Why do pots cost eleventy one bajillion thingys?  I can't imagine that's intended.  I can't even afford ONE pot.  Since food doesn't work in dungeons, for, what I am sure is an interesting reason, what the hell can I bring with me to heal myself?  (don't say a cleric or I'll shoot you with my shooty thing)

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 09:10:59 AM

There are healing potions.  Not sure if you can buy them, but I've found a few.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 09:54:20 AM

I think I've had three quests now where I see "kill one more X" as an objective and I can't find that X anywhere in the dungeon.   cry

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 09:56:38 AM

You can buy healing pots at the apothecary shop.  My point is that they are hugely expensive and even now, I cannot afford even one.  You can sell them, too, but for pittance.  I have only found 2 healing pots as loot since I started this game. 

It's a dire situation, I tell you!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 09:59:30 AM

Take a level in cleric.  Then you won't ever have to go looking for one!

Xilren's Twin

Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 10:20:24 AM

I think I've had three quests now where I see "kill one more X" as an objective and I can't find that X anywhere in the dungeon.   cry

Im guessing you are in the sewers trying do the mini encounters like "lurking kobolds".  While I'm not sure if thats a bug or intended, its happened to me everytime beyond the first I tried to do them.  The very first time I did them, they worked and each on gave like 30 exp.

Xilren

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 10:24:07 AM

You can buy healing pots at the apothecary shop.  My point is that they are hugely expensive and even now, I cannot afford even one.  You can sell them, too, but for pittance.  I have only found 2 healing pots as loot since I started this game. 

It's a dire situation, I tell you!

You can find mushrooms in the dungeons and hand them into the guy in the Harbor and he'll give you different kind of potions, including cure light wounds.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 10:47:31 AM

Im guessing you are in the sewers trying do the mini encounters like "lurking kobolds".  While I'm not sure if thats a bug or intended, its happened to me everytime beyond the first I tried to do them.  The very first time I did them, they worked and each on gave like 30 exp.

Yeah, that was the most recent one, though this is my first time doing it.  Another one was Kenebrooke's Basement, which is supposed to spawn 10 brigands, but instead spawns 9 every time, and then won't let you complete the quest because you haven't killed the nonexistent 10th brigand.  (Thought maybe it was a pathing problem and he was stuck behind a crate or something, but a thorough search of the area turned up nothing.)  There ought to be some sort of sanity check where if the entire dungeon is devoid of life, it sees that and lets you finish any quest items that are contingent on killing things.

On another topic, Haemish, you're a rogue - do your sneak attacks do anything?  And do you get any kind of indication that you were granted sneak attack damage and/or flanking bonuses?  I can sneak up right behind a guy and take a swing at him, and half the time I'll miss.  The other half the time I do what seems like normal damage.  Seems like if I get the drop on something as weak as a kobold it should pretty much be a guaranteed kill (barring a really bad to-hit roll).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 11:22:21 AM

On another topic, Haemish, you're a rogue - do your sneak attacks do anything?  And do you get any kind of indication that you were granted sneak attack damage and/or flanking bonuses?  I can sneak up right behind a guy and take a swing at him, and half the time I'll miss.  The other half the time I do what seems like normal damage.  Seems like if I get the drop on something as weak as a kobold it should pretty much be a guaranteed kill (barring a really bad to-hit roll).

What little I've been able to do with it didn't seem to have anything special to sneak attacks.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 11:25:25 AM

That's disappointing, since sneak attacks are possibly the best thing rogues have going for them in D&D.  Two rogues flanking a target = luv.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 11:31:29 AM

Don't think like a D&D player... what do you mean by "take a level in cleric"? 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 11:41:05 AM

Every time you gain a level in D&D 3E, you can choose to gain a level in any class you like.  The most "typical" thing is to take all your levels in a single class, since you then get all the best stuff that class has to offer, but you can also mix and match if you like. 

So when you get enough XP to hit second level, instead of going to the fighter trainer to gain another level of fighter (making you a 2nd level fighter), you can instead go to the cleric trainer and say 'teach me the ways of your god!" and the cleric trainer will be like "k".  You'll then be a 1st level fighter AND 1st level cleric with the combined benefits of both classes - you'll be almost (but not quite) as beefy as a 2nd level fighter, and you'll have the spellcasting ability of a 1st level cleric.

Some class combinations work better than others; fighter/cleric is a reasonably good combination because none of the class abilities interfere with each other (both like to wear armor, both get pretty good hit points and are capable in combat, et cetera).  Fighter/wizard is generally not quite as good because you usually need to wear armor to function well as a fighter, but wearing armor prevents you from functioning as a wizard; wizards also get very few hit points so every level you take in wizard will be a big drop in hit points compared to what you would have gotten as a pure fighter.

I haven't actually tried multiclassing in DDO yet, but I plan on doing some sort of half and half rogue/wizard thing eventually, because acid arrow sneak attacks are fun even if they're not as uber as what you'd get as a pure rogue or a pure wizard.  (Here's hoping they work in DDO.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 11:42:44 AM by Samwise »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 21, 2005, 11:45:14 AM

I'll be testing rogues, too, especially if we start grouping (I downloaded the client again last night while watching the Village again).

AD&D v2 munchkin via BG2: monk/wizard! (overcomes a lot of the fighter restrictions) In 3.5 (I have the 3.0 rules, bah goddamn WotC), wizards are a lot more flexible in the armor and weapons dep't iirc.

I didn't futz with multiclassing either, but when I was a kid, elven mage-thief was my brand of choice. I've always had a thing for avoiding combat, being sneaky and using my intellect to overcome challenges. Most games really suck at this...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Noob questions  
Jump to: