Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Noob questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 21438 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35 on: October 21, 2005, 11:53:02 AM

Aha!  I like multi-classing.  I do think this game will feel much nicer to me once we start grouping, too.  I'm already having difficulties 2/3rds through my first level that I'm certain grouping would alleviate.  I'm usually very critical about games that don't provide decent solo content, but I'm thinking this game is the exception to the rule. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: October 21, 2005, 11:53:57 AM

Wizards can use any weapon as long as they either take the appropriate feat or multiclass into something that grants it (a fighter/wizard can use any martial weapon), but armor is still no good because every armor has an 'arcane spell failure chance' that isn't mitigated by armor proficiency.  It goes from something like 5% for leather armor to 80% or something outrageous for full plate.  Wizard/anythings are usually better off skipping armor entirely and relying on magic armor effects (Mage Armor and Amulets of Armor and whatnot).

This is going to be tough for me, since I really like my masterwork chainmail shirt, but if I ever start casting spells 20% of them are going to fizzle on me while I'm wearing it.   :-(

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: October 21, 2005, 01:36:15 PM

I'm usually very critical about games that don't provide decent solo content, but I'm thinking this game is the exception to the rule.
Oddly enough, that was my initial impression of the game as well.

Sam, thanks for the explanation.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: October 22, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

I saw my first griefing today.  Someone cast grease spells all over the entrance to the n00bie inn so no one could come or go.  People just kept falling over.   smiley  It will only be funny once, then it's pure dumbass.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #39 on: October 22, 2005, 10:37:03 AM

At 1024x768 there seems to be a lot of UI elements taking up my screen. I tried to move up resolutions but then I got terrible stutter. I should hope my PC would handle it since my ping is ~100ms.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #40 on: October 22, 2005, 11:55:20 AM

I also lowered my resolution to 1024x768.  Any higher and the bottom of my screen stutters like mad, too.  I suppose, since the beta boards are virtually unusable, at least by me, maybe we could keep a list of these things in a SERIOUS sticky.  I promise not to muck it up too much with my insane wibble.  Maybe a bug list and a suggestion/what I do/don't like list?  This would be an interesting change from our usual meandering aimless threads.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: October 22, 2005, 02:21:06 PM

An ooze ate my sword.  Is there any way to get it repaired?  I noticed that the latest patch took the "repair" tab off the bartenders, and that's fine, but I expected to see it there with the blacksmithy types (the Hammer and Chain vendors) at least.  Now I can't find it anywhere.  Is my sword broken forever?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Xilren's Twin

Reply #42 on: October 22, 2005, 02:24:22 PM

An ooze ate my sword.  Is there any way to get it repaired?  I noticed that the latest patch took the "repair" tab off the bartenders, and that's fine, but I expected to see it there with the blacksmithy types (the Hammer and Chain vendors) at least.  Now I can't find it anywhere.  Is my sword broken forever?

I hope not because the same thing just happened to my +1 Heavy Mace that i spent 2200 gp for.  I can't find any vendors with a repair tab at all anymore.  Ugh.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #43 on: October 22, 2005, 02:25:35 PM

Yeah, this is my brand shiny new Rapier +1.

I don't like the oozes.  They come out of nowhere, you can't stealth past them, and they eat your weapons.   angry

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #44 on: October 22, 2005, 03:12:07 PM

I'm trying out cleric, atm, as I'm getting nowhere with my fighter anymore.  I can't seem to finish any of the quests I have.  Bits of my armour have disappeared.  I have partial armour on 1 leg, none on the other and I'm only covered on one arm.  I am much too shy for this game!  Can we buy other bits of armour anywhere yet?  I need a hat.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #45 on: October 22, 2005, 03:23:14 PM

I just looked and the repair tags are on the vendors.  I just repaired my mace. 

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #46 on: October 22, 2005, 08:29:57 PM

Just got level 2 and the repair tags are gone for me now, too.   cry

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #47 on: October 22, 2005, 09:38:36 PM

Maybe logging out and in fixes it.  When I logged back in earlier the repair tags were back and I was able to get my rapier fixed.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #48 on: October 24, 2005, 03:07:31 PM

Maybe logging out and in fixes it.  When I logged back in earlier the repair tags were back and I was able to get my rapier fixed.

You think that's weird, I logged back in and my mace was fixed with no action from me....

Xilren

WayAbvPar

Reply #49 on: October 24, 2005, 03:09:56 PM

They must have coded gnomes in that come in the night and repair your stuff! That is forward thinking game design, I tell ya  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #50 on: October 24, 2005, 03:21:23 PM

Yay gnomes!

On the topic of repairs, word to the wise - if you repair your stuff before it starts showing up with jaggy "broken" lines in the inventory, it won't permanently lose any of its durability.  Definitely worthwhile to get your valuable equipment repaired as often as possible.

Now another question from me: does it seem a bit pointless to anyone else that you're only allowed to have 4 action enhancements at a time?  The action points were very exciting when I was getting a new ability with each one, but now that I've gotten 4 they're not exciting any more, because none of the new options are better than what I already have.  I'm hoping the sub-par ones that appeared at level 2 were a fluke and that level 3 will have something worth getting...

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #51 on: October 24, 2005, 04:24:59 PM

I agree with everything you just said!  Whatever it was!

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #52 on: October 24, 2005, 06:06:41 PM

Step 1: Repair
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #53 on: October 25, 2005, 01:30:55 AM

I take back what I said about the action enhancements.  You eventually get souped-up versions of them.  For example, having had Human Versatility I for a while (which grants +1 to all skill checks) I'm now eligible for Human Versatility II (which grants +2 all on its own).

I'm hoping there's a Rogue's Dexterity II.  +1 to everything = gud.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #54 on: October 25, 2005, 04:29:17 AM

I agree with everything you said just now and disagree with whatever I agreed to befpre. 

Will I be able to learn dual wielding still?  Or since I didn't take it at the beginning, is it gone forever?  (My robot barbarian is asking this question)

Xilren's Twin

Reply #55 on: October 25, 2005, 07:31:10 AM

I take back what I said about the action enhancements.  You eventually get souped-up versions of them.  For example, having had Human Versatility I for a while (which grants +1 to all skill checks) I'm now eligible for Human Versatility II (which grants +2 all on its own).

I'm hoping there's a Rogue's Dexterity II.  +1 to everything = gud.

Well even with that, I've ended both lvl 2 and 3 with unspent action points as there wasn't anything I wanted.  I've got a +1 Wis, +1 Con, and 2 spell point increases (including a 2nd stage one).  Hopefully next time I earn on I can upgrade an existing or see some new ones, but there really doesn;t seem to be that much differentiation of characters based on them thus far.

Xilren

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #56 on: October 25, 2005, 09:44:35 AM

Will I be able to learn dual wielding still?  Or since I didn't take it at the beginning, is it gone forever?  (My robot barbarian is asking this question)

It's never too late.  You can actually dual wield whenever you want, but it's just not generally worthwhile unless your character is fairly good at it (a character unskilled in dual wielding is much less accurate when trying to wave two weapons around at once).  To get better at dual wielding you'd want the "Two-Weapon Fighting" feat (you get a new feat every third level, plus an extra feat every second level if you're advancing as a fighter) and the "Ambidexterity" feat, assuming they've got both of those in DDO (I haven't looked).

Agree that action points don't differentiate that much, at least with single-class characters.  I'm going to start multiclassing on my next level and I suspect that'll open up some viable options.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #57 on: October 25, 2005, 11:59:15 AM

Hooray!

(oh, and I reported you to yourself, just to see what happens)

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #58 on: October 25, 2005, 01:19:49 PM

*boom*

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #59 on: October 25, 2005, 02:15:56 PM

Hooray!

(oh, and I reported you to yourself, just to see what happens)

What happens is I get an email that makes me go WTF?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #60 on: October 25, 2005, 04:26:45 PM

oops.

WayAbvPar

Reply #61 on: October 26, 2005, 09:03:20 AM

Don't worry, Signe- Haemish spends most of his waking hours saying "WTF???" for one reason or another. The rest of the time he is saying 'Crotchpheasants'.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #62 on: October 26, 2005, 09:10:23 AM

Don't forget 'Cockles.'

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #63 on: October 26, 2005, 11:02:31 AM

When I lived in Port Solent Marina, after the tide went out, I would look off my balcony and see a bunch of little old men and women picking up marooned cockles.  They spit at you, you know.  The cockles, I mean, not the old people.  Well, maybe sometimes.  A N Y W A Y... I'm sure they were all soaked in boat petrol and probably poisonous.  (again, the cockles, not the old people)

I don't know why you would say cockles but when you do, I think of fish spitting on old people.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Noob questions  
Jump to: