Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:58:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Welcome! Character names and playtimes.. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome! Character names and playtimes..  (Read 16702 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 06:23:59 AM

I saw a guilded character Tuesday night. I remember when I had enough free time to play games. Now I don't even have the time to play Civ4, let alone an alpha :( Goddamned life. Hope you folks are having fun  cry
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: October 28, 2005, 06:50:25 AM

I've not been able to play the last few days but I like barbarian.  They are very smashy.  I can't, however, do those quests quests where you have to kill less than something and that's a bit annoying.  The bulk of the quests, the ones where you have to kill lots or  you don't have to care about how many you kill, are a peice of piss. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 28, 2005, 07:03:36 AM

Yeah, after originally testing a thief and being upset at how much combat was mandatory, I rolled up a barbarian. I was pretty disappointed...the very first newbie quest included mandatory combat. I play my thieves as greedy pacifists, in Thief I always try to ghost levels (not be seen at all by anyone). The system has potential, but it's a long way off yet, that's partly why not being able to test more bums me out...it has the potential.

But yeah, barbarians are great solo characters, I was running a dorf with max str and two handed weapons + toughness.

Since they upped the experience requirements for levelling, I haven't made level two, first to a wipe and now from lack of playtime, heh.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: October 28, 2005, 07:19:15 AM

Barb is great if you want to play "smash everything".  I like it especially if I've had a rough day and I'm in a bad mood.  There is no finess or skill involved, really.  I rolled a Warforged Barbie... I assume they are some sort of golem... and it plays as mindless as it looks.  I'm teeny bits away from level 2 and haven't even found the need to use berserk.  All I do, really, is swing at what is in front of me and everything falls over.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #39 on: October 28, 2005, 09:49:00 AM

I saw a guilded character Tuesday night. I remember when I had enough free time to play games. Now I don't even have the time to play Civ4, let alone an alpha :( Goddamned life. Hope you folks are having fun  cry

I actually made a Bat Country guild, you can to that, the Guild tab just doesnt do anything with it yet...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 14, 2005, 04:40:45 PM

Cross posting just in case.

Jhazira Khan - female human cleric
Barghest Bazrain - male dwarf wizard
Rhylla DeVine - female elven rogue

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: November 14, 2005, 04:55:36 PM

Huzzah!  The friends list expands.

I haven't been on much since getting The Movies, but once they fix the XP for the 1st level quests (most of my characters are 1st level so the lack of useful 1st level quests makes the game feel pretty grindy) I'll probably be logging in more regularly.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 04:58:06 PM

once they fix the XP for the 1st level quests

So you mean the wonderful 33 XP I got for the Miller's Debt quest is not typical? Good. I was getting worried. I tried re-doing it several times thinking I missed something. Also kept wondering if dying meant a drop in XP but never saw anything in the XP summary about death penalty to XP...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #43 on: November 14, 2005, 05:32:36 PM

No, the 33 XP is supposedly going to be fixed soon (knock on wood).  The Goodblade quests are more in the neighborhood of 400-500 so theoretically Miller's and similar quests will be tweaked to give at least that much.  I keep seeing posts on the beta forums about how it's been rebalanced internally but for some reason that change hasn't made it out with the other patches. 

I'm a little worried; the fact that they didn't instantly say "DUH, that's no good" and fix those quests instantly to be more in line with the others (as in the first day of Beta 1) smells to me like they might be rethinking their advancement curve, which would almost definitely be a change for the worse since there has to be tremendous pressure from above to add more grind to the game to keep people subscribed for longer.  I'm trying hard to ignore those bad thoughts.

As far as I can tell, the XP penalty for dying is based on level; there's no penalty at 1st level.  (Even at higher levels it's not too bad, something like 30, which is paltry next to what you get for doing a non-broken quest.  Just enough to make you want to avoid dying; not so much that it ruins your day)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Xilren's Twin

Reply #44 on: November 14, 2005, 07:06:59 PM

No, the 33 XP is supposedly going to be fixed soon (knock on wood).  The Goodblade quests are more in the neighborhood of 400-500 so theoretically Miller's and similar quests will be tweaked to give at least that much.  I keep seeing posts on the beta forums about how it's been rebalanced internally but for some reason that change hasn't made it out with the other patches. 

I'm a little worried; the fact that they didn't instantly say "DUH, that's no good" and fix those quests instantly to be more in line with the others (as in the first day of Beta 1) smells to me like they might be rethinking their advancement curve, which would almost definitely be a change for the worse since there has to be tremendous pressure from above to add more grind to the game to keep people subscribed for longer.  I'm trying hard to ignore those bad thoughts.

Actually, i think what they have been doing is identifying low level quests that were being exploited or were just too short and nerfed the xp to 33-66 while they work to change it.  If you remember the original Miller's Debt, it was very different that it is now. There just not done yet (same with Osgoods Basement, Bringing the Light, Resucing the girl from necromancer, etc etc.

The good news the market quests seem to be acting normally. :)

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

That's what I figured at first, but as of the start of Beta 1 the quests were no longer exploitable... if anything, those quests are all much longer now than anything else at that level.  (Osgood's Basement in particular is ridiculous due to all the very slow sewer wading involved.)

Like I said, trying hard to ignore bad thoughts.   wink

Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #46 on: November 15, 2005, 06:53:15 AM

Yea, the low level quest XP isn't where we want it. It's something we're working to fix. Not sure if it will be in this week's update or not though. I'll find out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 15, 2005, 09:33:50 AM

My thought on xp advancement: you cannot have a game that is enjoyable and fair for both traditional mmo 'grinders' and casual players.

Just a thought as I read about how people play DDO, and my experience with mmo since 1997™.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 15, 2005, 10:50:16 AM

My thought on xp advancement: you cannot have a game that is enjoyable and fair for both traditional mmo 'grinders' and casual players.

WoW has done this, IMHO. I've seen very happy grinders in WoW and boatloads of happy casual players in WoW. Their advancement system and pace simply works. I would still be subbed to CoH and possible CoV if its advancement rate were on par with WoW.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 15, 2005, 11:42:23 AM

Ok, you may have something there, though WoW completely falls apart toward the end imo. I made lvl 58, the highest level I've been in any mmo ever, including EQ which I played for two and a half years on and off (lvl 54).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Welcome! Character names and playtimes..  
Jump to: