Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:03:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW expansion sneak peak -- any details? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW expansion sneak peak -- any details?  (Read 81971 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: October 06, 2005, 06:26:46 AM

from main portal.  Anyone have any news about this?  I don't follow WoW that much (casual player), but interested.  Thx.

World of Warcraft Expansion Playable at BlizzCon! - Ordinn on 10/5/05
The World of Warcraft development team has confirmed that BlizzCon attendees will be able to go hands-on with a playable sneak peek of the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion. For those who won't be able to attend BlizzCon, please note that gaming magazines hitting newsstands in different regions of the world around the time of the event will feature in-depth previews on the new content we have in store. Click here to learn more about BlizzCon.
We have recently placed some exhibit-only BlizzCon tickets on sale, for those of you who are interested in attending BlizzCon and trying out the World of Warcraft expansion set. See the recent announcement for more information about this limited supply of exhibit-only tickets.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:37:13 AM

Nobody has any information beyond "it will be shown at Blizzcon." (OMG Blizzard how dare you charge for entry into a convention!)  They're being very very tight-lipped about revealing anything prior to the official unveiling at the end of the month.   The only rumors I've heard are that 1) it won't be released for another year (q3-2006) and 2) There will be no new races or classes.   I haven't even seen those from official sources, just repeated by the unknown masses on various boards.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 08:10:31 AM

Nobody has any information beyond "it will be shown at Blizzcon." (OMG Blizzard how dare you charge for entry into a convention!)  They're being very very tight-lipped about revealing anything prior to the official unveiling at the end of the month.   The only rumors I've heard are that 1) it won't be released for another year (q3-2006) and 2) There will be no new races or classes.   I haven't even seen those from official sources, just repeated by the unknown masses on various boards.

With WoW seeing that speculation of no new races or classes fills me with joy.  It means they will probably be doing actual "content" expansions.  If this were SWG, we'd have 1-2 more fucking races (that would not be unique to any other existing race in ability or effect on the gameworld) and "revamped" classes (AKA balancing) plus some weak new and small, mini-zone.  Blizz may actually give players whole new playable zones across several levels.  Clap-on. 
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:13:08 AM

1) it won't be released for another year (q3-2006) and 2) There will be no new races or classes.   

Whatever the release date out turns to be we have to add the "Blizz project management factor" which could add another year easily.

No new classes or races?  Good for them.  Clearly they are not taking the easy path to enriching their world.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:00:23 AM

Yikes. It takes some level of fanboi to read a post saying that the first expansion will be two years after launch and that there will be no more races or classes and turn it into "rah rah rah, rejoice for the wonderful developer".

Blizzard may actually give players an entirely new gaming experience, world peace, net sex and big baggie of coke, but I wouln't count on it.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 10:24:14 AM

The Horde could use a mangina race actually.

Other than that, I'd like to see the game world get "bigger". If gets deeper as well, then cool beans.

[edit] Mangina. Bigger. Deeper.

Eww...

Apologies.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 10:45:57 AM

Although we have no solid info (Even my two friends who work at Blizzard on WoW dont have any info), they said they had the "feeling" around the office that the expansion is a lot closer to done than people think.

As to the world getting bigger, during beta Blizz always said that there where 3 possible places for the expansion. Northrend the land of ice, where Arthas rules as the new liche king. If they do that, it will be a strongly undead area, with a very hard raid dungeon to kill arthas (im guessing).
Another area was into the Maelstrom. This would feature blood elves and naga. With a heavy underwater setting. That could be interesting. I dont recall in the lore what is supposed to be actually at the center of the maelstrom.
The last was through the Dark Portal, and to the home of the orcs that is infested with the demons of the burning legion. Supposidly this area is already in the software, since one of my guild mates was there on a emulated server.

I hope they do add a new race for each faction, and maybe a new class. I dont know if I want them to throw in any new classes right now, since they are actually getting closer to balanced right now.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 12:03:25 PM

Do Hero Classes count as new classes if they were announced in Beta?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 12:16:46 PM

I think it has always been the theory that Blizzard had no fucking idea what hero classes would be or how to implement them. It was just a talking point they would throw around. Now I think they are hoping we all forget the idea.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 12:24:27 PM

Although we have no solid info (Even my two friends who work at Blizzard on WoW dont have any info), they said they had the "feeling" around the office that the expansion is a lot closer to done than people think.

Well, if the expansion is going to be PLAYABLE at the end of the month like the news item says, it would have to be closer to done than anyone thinks.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 12:40:06 PM

Perhaps the expansion will be done for Christmas this year.

And perhaps they are actively developing a second expansion for '06 as well.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 01:23:00 PM

Somehow i dont think northrend is going to be in the expantion.  Northrend = Lich King, and quite frankly, whatever instance he is in should make blackwing lair look like a cakewalk.  Not to mention that popular lore holds that the Necropolis Necrodamus (the instance attached to the back of Stratholme) has Khel'thuzad as its end boss, and I cant see them releasing Northrend before that instance goes live.

If anything, i would think that Undermine and the maelstrom would come before northrend.

As to Outlands and the Dark Portal, again, I think there is other content they have to release before they get to that.  There is the instance they have been working on in Deadwind Pass for one.  For another, the setup in 1.8 with the green dragon world encounters is highly suggestive that the Emerald Dream wil be the next major "plane" they will add.

Hell, if you want fodder for what could be in the expantion, just hit up This Website and pick and choose what you think would be released before something else in the expantion.

PS.  Someone in my guild was dropping hints and rumors that there ARE new races coming.  Blood Elves for the Horde and Pandaran for the Alliance.  We all told him he was insane, but he seemed to believe his sources were highly credable.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 02:00:20 PM

PS.  Someone in my guild was dropping hints and rumors that there ARE new races coming.  Blood Elves for the Horde and Pandaran for the Alliance.  We all told him he was insane, but he seemed to believe his sources were highly credable.

This rumor has been kicking around since beta. I think it was a thread on the WoW forums, titled like "What do you think the New Races in the Expansion Will Be?" And by around page 30 of the thread, every one agreed that it would be Pandaran and Blood Elves. I wouldnt mind a mangina race for the Horde, but I think Pandarans are just stupid. I dont even know where they fit in WoW lore. I think the only part I never played was the WC3 expansion. But there are not even any Pandarian NPCs as of right now.

I do hope for a new class or two, as I would like to play a new character, but im kind of bored with all my choices now.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 02:49:33 PM

As long as I can catass to level 120...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 03:54:22 PM

A little birdy once told me awhile ago that the expansion will have Bloodelves and Pandarans added, as well as Arthas (and thus Northrend I assume).  Two new islands as well.  I tend to trust the bird, but we will see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 04:03:28 PM

I'm predicting 100% of the new content will be level 60 raids.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 05:16:48 PM

I suspect the expansion is a little closer to ready than we all thought due mostly to how fast they put 1.8 out and how big it is. Reeks of "we need this shit for the expansion, get it done NOW" to me. Could be wrong of course, it's just a guess after all. :P
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 07:43:15 PM

You may be right.

Or you may be thinking of the rest of the MOG "industry" which has yet to prove they're worth their stock options.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 11:38:47 PM

Teaser images up on battle.net of Warcraft and Starcraft characters. I can only assume it's announcements.

1. Starcraft II - which I'm confident has been in production since [edit: at least] October 2004.
2. WoW Expansion official announcement.
3. Release date for Starcraft: Ghost.

Not sure what else it could be. One of the images might have been from Diablo. Which would add:

4. Diablo 3 in development. Which means nothing since Blizzard North no longer exists.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 11:42:35 PM by schild »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 07, 2005, 01:40:12 AM

hehe, i checked Battle.net out, bunch of pics with the numbers 10 7 05 on them (looked like an Orc, Nightelf, Zerg, Human?, Lich).

Funny bit is, if you refresh that starting page often enough you get one pic with the numbers  ".999_  = 1" written on it.  Wonder what the hell that is for?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 02:12:38 AM

The one with the red eyes looks like a Zergling.

Then there's another with a human wearing sci-fi-ish looking goggles...

So SC will be in the news at least.

[edit] Oops, Surf mentioned the Zerg.

The Lich has icicles hanging off his cheek, and is wearing what looks to be a similar suit of armor that Arthas is wearing in various WC3 pics.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 02:15:14 AM by Stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005, 02:16:26 AM

Is my post invisible?
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 07, 2005, 02:17:13 AM

The .9999 ~ 1 thing is an old and stupid battle.net forum in-joke. (using the term 'joke' loosely, here :p) No, I don't get it either.

-- Z.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 07, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Is my post invisible?
#

Don't worry, Harry, I can see them too.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 06:31:01 AM

Perhaps the expansion will be done for Christmas this year.

And perhaps they are actively developing a second expansion for '06 as well.
That would roughly mimic EverQuest 1, which would be appropriate for WoW. EQ was released in March 1999 and the first expansion Ruins of Kunark arrived in April 2000, with Scars of Velious following in December 2000.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 07:41:37 AM

Sargeras is gonna crash for a month, I just know it.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: October 07, 2005, 07:51:04 AM

One of the images might have been from Diablo. Which would add:

4. Diablo 3 in development. Which means nothing since Blizzard North no longer exists.

Yeah, there's one pic that shows up pretty rarely that's a closeup of the Diablo box art. All of the pics have some sort of globe thing in the eye. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 08:09:24 AM

I keep hearing (in game)  people insisting that that hero classes were some idea of an old dev team that is gone and the new team has no idea what to do with them (no design doc?). But I have never heard of a changing of teams. Is this another case of someone thinking Blizzard North was involved and confusing them with the WoW dev team or is there some meat here? Anyone with inside connections know? I do know Tigole was involved from the beginning but don't know about the rest of the current team.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 08:20:29 AM

Im almost positive that there was a post on the boards about a month ago by one of the developers that stated "Hero Classes are in the works, with absolutely no release timeframe. KTHXBYE"  or something like that.   Basicly just enough information to say, yeah, we are still putzing around with them, but dont expect them any time soon.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 09:03:13 AM

Blademaster please (and they better be Warriors, not Rogues).
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 12:48:28 PM

Well. Im going to BlizzCon. One of my friends has an extra ticket, so I get to see the bloodbath live in all its glory. Ill make sure to take a bunch of pics, and a little write up, so maybe I will get a blue name too.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #31 on: October 07, 2005, 01:57:44 PM

The .9999 ~ 1 thing is an old and stupid battle.net forum in-joke. (using the term 'joke' loosely, here :p) No, I don't get it either.

-- Z.

I assume that stems from the old .9 followed by an infinite number of nines is equal to 1 usenet troll that WAY predated battle.net..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #32 on: October 07, 2005, 02:07:12 PM

Sargeras is gonna crash for a month, I just know it.

You play Sargeras? Faction, name?
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: October 07, 2005, 02:32:31 PM

Blademaster please (and they better be Warriors, not Rogues).

Don't be retarded. They go invisible and "backstab." They're the closest thing to rogues that game will ever get.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 03:29:22 PM

The battle.net images were in anticipation of a battle.net redesign.

WHOOPTY FUCKING DOO. Goddamn Blizzard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW expansion sneak peak -- any details?  
Jump to: