Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173002 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1225 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:38 AM

Yes and no. Some things are good in small doses. I would not have wanted Call of Duty 4 to have been too much longer than it was. Because while it was fun and beautiful, it also had some serious flaws.

COD4 had serious flaws?  Surely it had flaws (though I'm struggling to come up with any off the top of my head), but serious ones?  Your point is still a fine one, I'm just curious as to what you're talking about.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #1226 on: June 17, 2009, 09:48:52 AM

I'm just curious as to what you're talking about.

I'm about 99% sure he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1227 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:14 AM

I'm feeling the itch to play some UO. I haven't in a long while now. It's not in full bloom yet, but I can feel it coming over me.

Radicalthon!   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1228 on: June 17, 2009, 10:40:36 AM

Did you get just the first campaign or the trilogy?

There's actually so much to the game that you won't figure out a lot of it for a while.  If you have Nightfall you can start collecting heroes and the fun really begins.  Though if you have a Prophecies character, it'll be a while before they can get one.

Got the trilogy, started at the leftmost campain (guess thats Prophecies). I thought about working my way through them in order.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1229 on: June 17, 2009, 11:01:04 AM

Prophecies takes a long time to get out of the Prologue, especially on a first play through.  A whole new world opens up once you're done with it, more so since you have the other two campaigns.

I've only played enough of Factions to be able to tame a Black Moa.  That is pretty far into it, but I was skipping a lot of the story because my Ranger needed the appropriate pet.  Nightfall is worth at least having an alt go through, or your main if you don't like alts once they reach Lion's Arch.  I find the story is better and really like the atmosphere.  Also Dervish and Paragons are cool.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1230 on: June 17, 2009, 11:20:21 AM

There's really no reason to work through them in order.  I highly recommend that no matter where you start, you hop over to the Nightfall campaign area first chance you can (and this is a while, if you start in Prophecies) and pick up a few heroes to work with.  They're a LARGE improvement over henchmen, if you're playing by yourself or in a small group.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:23:04 AM by Ard »
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1231 on: June 17, 2009, 11:50:45 AM

Guess I'll restart in Nightfall then. I'm not that attached to my character yet, so I rather start wih the best one. Alts are not my thing. Thanks for the tip. Is Eye of the North worth getting? Any Frost-based powersets (Yes, my Everquest 1 Shaman ruined me, blame Verant!)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1232 on: June 17, 2009, 12:08:12 PM

I've been playing the hell out of Stone Soup still and now 0.5 is out.  I was almost done with Red Faction too.

Oh fuck!  There goes my evening week month see you in the fall!

List of changes: 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1233 on: June 17, 2009, 12:13:09 PM

Guess I'll restart in Nightfall then. I'm not that attached to my character yet, so I rather start wih the best one. Alts are not my thing. Thanks for the tip. Is Eye of the North worth getting? Any Frost-based powersets (Yes, my Everquest 1 Shaman ruined me, blame Verant!)

FWIW Nightfall is the most fun of the 3 campaigns, I think. Prophecies is reallllllllllllllllly slow and a pain in the ass to solo with just henchmen at times - heroes will help a lot. The only "frost" spec I can think of off the top of my head is the water elementalist one. EOTN doesn't add any new classes, and it is pretty short on content that's doable without being level 20. That said both Nightfall and Factions will push you to level 20 pretty early on, so you could start chipping away at the EOTN stuff as well. Its definitely more of an expansion than a new campaign like the other ones.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1234 on: June 17, 2009, 12:25:14 PM

Eye of the North buffs you to 20 equivalency if you go there under 20.  You won't be as powerful since your skills will still be lacking, and the content is mostly stuff you'll want to have a strong group for, however there are some good heroes there, two of which you get just by going there.  (I almost always use Jora, and once I have Paragon skills I'll probably be using Hayda with some heroes.)

There isn't any real compelling reason to get EotN right away though.  Make sure you enjoy playing the game enough to do so.  I've had all of them a year and a half now.  I've beaten Prophecies, still have a good ways to go in Factions, and maybe two-thirds of the way through Nightfall.  The game is huge, so there's plenty to do.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1235 on: June 17, 2009, 01:33:52 PM

An hour of Icewind Dale 2.

An hour of Baldur's Gate.

An hour of Valkyria Chronicles.

Another hour of inFamous.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1236 on: June 17, 2009, 03:13:11 PM

I started up the DS Fire Emblem game.  It looks to be fun but I am sure even with the mid level hardsave I will reach a point where the game breaks me.  (Its what Fire Emblem does.  Proving even Nintendo has a game franchise designed soley for the hardcore..)

Still playing a menu translated version of Super Robot Wars 4.  Daimos and Combattler V kick massive amounts of ass.  Zambot 3, Mazinger Z, and Getta 1 (what?  It has OTHER modes?  I refuse to acknowledge them.) being the B team.  C Team is my Real Robot (A Gespenst, actually being USEFUL for a change), Dancouga, and Sayaka in whichever girly robot she is in at the time.  (Aphrodai then Dianan)

Everybody else are the gumps I use because I need to or they have handy abilities.  Boss Robot is like a giant SHOOT ME magnet, which keeps my more expensive to repair robots alive whilst he absorbs massive damage and fails to really do anything.   

The Gundams all kind of suck to this point, but I am aware of what Amuro and that goober from 0083 end up getting if SRW3 was any indication and I will need their broken ass upgraded robots.

Sadly no sight of Cybuster yet.  I need his cheesy broken ass.  Or I will anyhow.   And Goshogun showed up for one mission as an NPC then left.  I WANTS GOSHOGUN.  Its my favorite super robot.

Also when I just want a quickie game to play, I am playing Berzerk through Mame.  Its awesome for a 29 year old game.  I never got to play the arcade original in the day, just the Atari version I loved as a kid.  Why it isn't on any retro collection I just don't understand.  Its an important historical note.  One of the earliest games with speech, plus its practically the foundation for every top down shooting game ever made.  Its simple graphics and basic gameplay makes it MORE fun really.   Most of the time I die its my fault.  Because I didn't see a shot coming at me or my reactions were poor or because I was trying to score bonus points and thus had Evil Otto skullfuck me.  Stupid smiling bouncy face..

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1237 on: June 17, 2009, 03:16:30 PM

Eye of the North buffs you to 20 equivalency if you go there under 20.  You won't be as powerful since your skills will still be lacking, and the content is mostly stuff you'll want to have a strong group for, however there are some good heroes there, two of which you get just by going there.  (I almost always use Jora, and once I have Paragon skills I'll probably be using Hayda with some heroes.)

There isn't any real compelling reason to get EotN right away though.  Make sure you enjoy playing the game enough to do so.  I've had all of them a year and a half now.  I've beaten Prophecies, still have a good ways to go in Factions, and maybe two-thirds of the way through Nightfall.  The game is huge, so there's plenty to do.

Ah, I didn't realize it scaled you up. It is definitely worth going there to pick up the heroes early then, even if one of them is one of those stupid asura things.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1238 on: June 17, 2009, 03:39:02 PM

It's not surprising you don't know these things, bookah. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

(Though I agree.  I wanted to pummel and/or punt most of them.  I refused to use Vekk because of it.)

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1239 on: June 17, 2009, 03:50:41 PM

Luckily I don't generally have much use for an elementalist hero anyway, the hench ones perform fine.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1240 on: June 17, 2009, 03:54:19 PM

Heh, when I think about it, isn't it nearly impossible to NOT be level 20 and have access to the Eye of the North areas, unless you were coming from a Prophecies campaign?  Almost all the other ones I can think of have you to level 20 by the time you finish noobland.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1241 on: June 17, 2009, 04:13:10 PM

Heh, when I think about it, isn't it nearly impossible to NOT be level 20 and have access to the Eye of the North areas, unless you were coming from a Prophecies campaign?  Almost all the other ones I can think of have you to level 20 by the time you finish noobland.

I think from Nightfall you might be able to get there almost right off the bat, since the quest starts in Kamadan. For Factions you're right, the quest starts from Kaineng Center I think so you'd pretty much have to be 20 unless you had someone run you there.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1242 on: June 17, 2009, 04:33:08 PM

I couldn't remember if you could actually leave Kamadan for parts unknown or not until you finished the initial quest line, or if I just didn't bother trying until finishing up the initial noob storyline.  I haven't mucked with guild wars much since Eye of the North first came out.  Regardless, the only one that doesn't put you near 20 after only a few hours is Prophecies, which was probably the biggest failing with that game, since that put off a lot of players who never made it out of pre-searing with how slow it was going.

Anyhow, personally mucking around with DDO again out of curiousity due to it going free to play.  Liking it a lot again this time around.  Here's to hoping the difficulty scaling of dungeons based on group size doesn't suck.  Also messing around with Class of Heroes.  Do not bother picking this up unless you really like Wizardry style dungeon crawlers.

edit:  oh yeah, and been playing Puzzle Kingdoms on my breaks at work on and off.  It's MUCH better than Puzzle Quest:  Galactrix, made by the same people, published by someone else, and hyped not at all.  There's a PC demo if you're curious.  The DS controls leave a lot to be desired, but I like the game otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:35:36 PM by Ard »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1243 on: June 17, 2009, 06:12:58 PM

I've felt that way about EQ1 for the past couple of weeks. Though I'd rather tour guide my wife around the places I used to spend so much time in - now that she's played WoW, she'd "get it" a lot more than before. Can't bring myself to spend the subscription fee, though. Especially with 2 accounts (It'd be better with her controlling one of them, so it's a 1st-person tour rather than over-my-shoulder).

As much shit as I heap on EQ, I always had this ghost of an itch to give it a look. Stuff like the factions and languages always intrigued me when I'd hear people talk about them. Unfortunately there were always a lot of other things about it that I didn't want to deal with.

Radicalthon!   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I have no idea how that would even work, to be honest. Baldur's Gate gives you a strong narrative and enough freedom to at least fuck with it, if not exactly run it off the rails. UO gives you a lot of freedom for an MMO, but is almost completely devoid of narrative. I don't know what I'd do with it that anyone would want to read.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1244 on: June 17, 2009, 06:18:46 PM

I think from Nightfall you might be able to get there almost right off the bat, since the quest starts in Kamadan. For Factions you're right, the quest starts from Kaineng Center I think so you'd pretty much have to be 20 unless you had someone run you there.
You have to make it to the docks.  A character probably won't be 20 yet, and it's really easy to bridge someone there since that quest is in Kamadan.  Without that help, there didn't seem to be a significant difference between Factions and Nightfall to me.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1245 on: June 17, 2009, 08:57:59 PM

Just downloaded and played about an hour of Guild Wars on the free trial.

I am underwhelmed, I tried it when it first came out, it must have been beta because I don't recall buying it, and decided it wasn't for me and I have quickly come to the conclusion that it's still not for me.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1246 on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:20 PM

Both the other campaigns didn't really grab me. Ancient China and Egypt aren't necessarily my thing, and all that "Remember, you never fight alone" spiel grated against my preference for rugged individualism. Plus the Warrior seems to be the only big scarred oaf character available, the Dervish, Paragon and Ritualist I tried seem to be a bit too much on the feminine side - lookswise. Almost Jrpglike "Prettyboy trying to look butch".

My playstyle is "Take all beatings with a grin and outlast the enemy into submission". I like to look the role.  awesome, for real
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1247 on: June 18, 2009, 08:45:50 AM

Tried Prototype, what a bad storytelling and the controls felt so 'loose' it's really hard to enjoy the combat. I hated the melee so much that I just used guns and hijack vehicles whenever I can.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1248 on: June 18, 2009, 09:33:55 AM

Sword of the stars.

I can't stop. Halp. 2am nights are starting to wear on me.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1249 on: June 18, 2009, 09:45:36 AM

I bought Gothic Universe for $7 at Half Price Books. I've worked my way through Gothic 1, Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven and am now working on Gothic 3 with the community "patch". I've had maybe 1 crash in 25+ hours of play. Good times.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1250 on: June 18, 2009, 05:44:03 PM

Yes and no. Some things are good in small doses. I would not have wanted Call of Duty 4 to have been too much longer than it was. Because while it was fun and beautiful, it also had some serious flaws.

COD4 had serious flaws?  Surely it had flaws (though I'm struggling to come up with any off the top of my head), but serious ones?  Your point is still a fine one, I'm just curious as to what you're talking about.

Ignoring schild being a troll, COD4's main SP mode flaws as I saw them were:

* The narrowness of the rails it gave you to move through in most of the game. If it were set indoors, it could get away with it a little more, and I don't expect a sandbox, but there are a lot of very narrow (outdoor) pathways you must take to get further.
* Forever-respawning enemies. Until you reach the next checkpoint.
* The solution to many of the forever-respawning enemies being not to, you know, kill them all and cautiously move forward, but often instead to SPRINT TO THE NEXT STAR ON YOUR COMPASS and not really worry about the guys shooting at you or your buddies, because they will survive automatically, and there's no point shooting the enemy, because of point 2.

It was a fun experience, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a good game. You pretty much just move through doing EXACTLY what the devs want you to do. All games do this to a degree, it was just much more obvious in CoD4, despite the gorgeous visuals. As such, it was a good length. If it went for a lot longer I'd probably have gotten pissed off with it, as I did with CoD5: W@W.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #1251 on: June 19, 2009, 01:30:42 AM

Since reading the BG radicalthon, I've fired BG again just started from the begining will see how far I get. I must say I enjoy the start of BG1 better than the lame dungeon of BG2!
Also playing Duke Nukem3d (EDuke32), Doom(GZDoom), Blood have to try Stryfe also and might do a bit of Rise of the Triads and Redneck rampage!! Yep I went back to childhood and its awesome. The work that has been done by the community of Duke and Doom is absolutely astonishing. Complete rewrite of engines to be able to play 3d parts etc... I really recommand it. Also its possible to play oniline Doom using Skulltag, pretty awesome.

Otherwise I'm still sucking major balls at Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii, I must be really stupid or something. Tennis is hard, I'll have to get some course.
Played a bit of Final Fantasy my life as a king, its well done but a bit repetitive over time.

Tested Prototype, the idea is kinda nice and all but I'm not sure it has grabbed me.
Waiting for Armed Assault 2 to be released and Anno.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1252 on: June 19, 2009, 04:43:45 AM

Played through HL2:E1 and 2, and all the Fallout 3 dlcs. Anchorage was way too short, The Pitt ending was pretty good, and Broken Steel was great.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1253 on: June 19, 2009, 06:37:38 AM

I hated the melee so much

WHIP ARM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1254 on: June 19, 2009, 08:27:13 PM

As much shit as I heap on EQ, I always had this ghost of an itch to give it a look. Stuff like the factions and languages always intrigued me when I'd hear people talk about them. Unfortunately there were always a lot of other things about it that I didn't want to deal with.

The languages were one of those ideas that carried over from D&D, but were never implemented into the game to any degree. You'd spam the shit out of other people (and yourself) to "learn" them, and that was grindy and boring but also kind of well done - since you could slowly see a progression and slowly be able to understand someone else. At the same time, unless there were a couple of quests that required wizards to read a parchment in Elder Dragon or something (there may have been) they were basically totally ignored throughout the life of the game, so were as relevent as the ones in WoW. Less so, actually, since wow NPCs will occasionally chatter away out loud in their native tongues as environmental colour..

Factions were basically reputation in WoW. Except that there were a lot more of them, and you were often KOS to a bunch of them, but by studiously grinding like a motherfucker, you could make yourself non-kos to some of them. Like, through some painful trans-continental quest that I spent a day ferrying shit for him with my druid, followed by killing lots and lots of little shitbag Deathfist orcs, my brother's Troll was eventually no longer kill on sight to the Paladins of North Freeport, so he could go in there to use the bank, since using the Dark Elf bank in Neriak was another 10-minute hike away back in the day. Of course the casters in there still hated him, so he had to be a bit careful.

Things like that were cool, but again, long, grindy and really not cool enough to make up for the long and grindiness of it. Well, maybe it was worth it for him, at the time, but in a modern (post-WoW) context, no, no. NO!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1255 on: June 20, 2009, 08:13:30 AM

Ghostbusters, PS3
LotRO, PC
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, DS
NDA

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1256 on: June 22, 2009, 05:38:58 PM

Polished off Uncharted (came with the PS3 I just bought), finished off Ninja Blade for 360 last night, and Disgaea 3 just came in the mail today, so that's next.  Disgaea is never-ending for me, so whenever Infamous gets here, that'll be the next game I beat.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1257 on: June 22, 2009, 05:49:34 PM

Persona 4
LotRO
Ghostbusters

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1258 on: June 23, 2009, 01:47:15 AM

SInce I got Xbox-Points from my sister, I bought Castle Crashers and Magic the Gathering (two games for my birthday, yay).

Funnily enough, after I tested Empire: Total War, it triggered a Fall From Heaven bender and I play that almost exclusively (again).

I brought the Kuriotates to a Altar victory (cleaing up after I broke the back of my opposition is just too damn boring). Funnily enough, I realized something about Immortaliy. After I sacrificed my Great Engineer to speed along the Altar, he was reborn and I could sacrifice him once again. The rest was a cakewalk (0% science, bought the rest of the altar for the bargain price of 8000 gold).

Now I'm going for a Sheaim "Let the world burn to Armageddon" run. I hope then its out of the system.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1259 on: June 23, 2009, 01:55:12 AM

Hahah, good luck with taking in the hell on earth scenario. I managed to hit 100 on Armageddon counter before on my Evil playthrough. Here's what happens: Almost every unit dies. Randomly. Better prepare.  why so serious?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: