Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173314 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1120 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:21 PM

I thought you could play BG2 through solo if you wanted?  Maybe you had to mod it for that though...

Must be a mod, there are plenty of fights that would gib a lone character. I dunno, I just don't have it in me to handle a game like this anymore. I can't get anything done without five other things cropping up, and they're all multi-stage quests that take forever. Eventually I just started screaming "NO, FUCK YOU! I'M BUSY!" at all the sidequest guys and people looking for adventurers to save their villages. It makes me appreciate what a vastly more streamlined game KOTOR was.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1121 on: June 01, 2009, 03:17:13 PM

Did you scream that into the mouse?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1122 on: June 01, 2009, 05:05:42 PM

Yes. Here's a recreation, starring James Doohan as WUA.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: June 02, 2009, 01:22:11 AM

People like you are the reason I don't get nice meaty 100+ hours roleplaying games anymore! I'm too old for that Instant gratification crap!

On topic, playing Baldurs Gate solo is hard, but doable. Clerics are so overpowered in the game, they can wipe the floor with whole groups if prepared to do so. With the right buffs for the encounter they are almost untouchable.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:24:38 AM by Tebonas »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1124 on: June 02, 2009, 04:11:49 AM

I bought NWN2 a few months back and have been slowly trying to play it.  The party AI was fucking miserable enough to the point that I couldn't play it anymore.  I finally uninstalled it after playing only a few hours in.  Felt like I spent more time waiting to attack stuff in combat and micromanaging (poorly) character actions.  D&D ruleset never should have been applied to video games. 

Bought Boom Blox Bash for Wii a week ago.  Pretty good game.  If you liked the first, you'll like the second.  There's enough new stuff to make it more than just a new bunch of puzzles.  Online downloading of new puzzles is fast and easy.

Also playing both Zelda Ocarina of Time and Zelda Majora's Mask on the Wii VC.  Well worth the $20. 

Burned out on LotRO, considering going back to EQ2 so I can get burned out on that too.  Haven't had a desire to play WoW since January.  I might be broken of it. 
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: June 02, 2009, 04:38:52 AM

You can turn off party AI. Which I did at the first possible moment since the gold box games. Storms of Zehir works the same way for me. Manually send the Dwarven Defender to intercept the mobs, send the Rogue on Backstab duty, then switch to the nukers and/or healers like needed.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1126 on: June 02, 2009, 05:00:27 AM

Temple of Elemental Evil got it right imo..  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1127 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:43 AM

The only NPC I remember having a problem with in NWN2 was the druid, she was just way too in love with switching to bear form all the time when I needed her casting. If it wasn't for that I'm pretty sure I could have left party AI on and functioned fine.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: June 02, 2009, 03:10:09 PM

I think it's a combination of the control scheme and the party AI that was torquing me off.  W/e.  I'm not going back because it's too damn frustrating.  Dragon Age better figure this shit out.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1129 on: June 02, 2009, 08:58:31 PM

I'll tell you what I'm NOT playing: Demigod.  I'm headed to the beach tomorrow, see you fuckers on Monday.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: June 02, 2009, 10:03:03 PM

Put Infamous down for a bit because I picked up Red Faction: Guerrilla.  Volition has dropped another insanely fun open world romp, though this time the hook is that everything you see can be destroyed - with a sledgehammer.  Also, the visuals are surprisingly good, especially given that the game was built on a modified version of the Saints' Row 2 engine.

Story mode for now - will probably jump into the multi later this week.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: June 03, 2009, 09:00:17 AM

I'll be playing Red Faction tomorrow.  Yay!  I've mostly been playing DCSS with some Sacred here and there.  I just can't get enough dungeon crawling this year.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: June 03, 2009, 09:03:53 AM

Picked up wolverine: origins game. They ditched the PG on this one. The moment Logan just starts the game off by stabbing a soldier's head through the wall, I know this game's violence level is through the roof. Five minutes later I smashed a windscreen of a helicopter, pulled the pilot out and held him up high so the rotor blade beheaded him.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1133 on: June 03, 2009, 11:35:39 AM

Finally getting around to Drakensang. I'm fucking cutting edge.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1134 on: June 03, 2009, 02:20:49 PM

People like you are the reason I don't get nice meaty 100+ hours roleplaying games anymore! I'm too old for that Instant gratification crap!

I was actually thinking about reinstalling and then figuring out how the whole "multiplayer game with one person so you can have a full player-created party" thing works. Then I can just play it like a Diablo with a pause button and the ability to puppykick my way through the story. I'll lose all the NPC flavor interactions, but having one character want to do this or they'll leave, while another wants to do that, and hey let's look up spoilers so we know who's going to get plot-railroaded out of the party, and who's going to fight to the death or quit if you keep them in the same party...

If I really thought the experience of babysitting a bunch of bickering heavily-armed retards whose company I can barely tolerate was an enhancement to dungeon adventuring, I'd be running my own WoW guild.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1135 on: June 03, 2009, 02:26:44 PM

I was actually thinking about reinstalling and then figuring out how the whole "multiplayer game with one person so you can have a full player-created party" thing works. Then I can just play it like a Diablo with a pause button and the ability to puppykick my way through the story. I'll lose all the NPC flavor interactions, but having one character want to do this or they'll leave, while another wants to do that, and hey let's look up spoilers so we know who's going to get plot-railroaded out of the party, and who's going to fight to the death or quit if you keep them in the same party...

If I really thought the experience of babysitting a bunch of bickering heavily-armed retards whose company I can barely tolerate was an enhancement to dungeon adventuring, I'd be running my own WoW guild.

I dunno. Losing that guy when I didn't know it was coming is still one of the most vivid, awesome gaming moments I've ever experienced. I think losing that kind of thing would be a big blow to the storytelling in these games.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1136 on: June 03, 2009, 02:34:36 PM

the experience of babysitting a bunch of bickering heavily-armed retards whose company I can barely tolerate

Otherwise known as being a leader of a team.   awesome, for real

It adds flavor.  I liked not knowing who was going to stick around. Then again, playing as a good guy you don't have as many issues with morale and cohesiveness as someone that's morally repugnant.  I liked how Jagged Alliance 2 handled this also.  One of my top soldiers quit because she couldn't stand the other gal in the group. 

I tried the whole custom created party thing with BG2.  It felt bland and was far too easy when you can just munchkin your way to victory.  Sure you have the pure satisfaction of creating an unstoppable juggernaut of doom but you lose much of the charm.  Turns it into Icewind Dale with a better plot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not the BG2 I loved.

I'd love to play BG2 again, but I don't think I can handle a replay of something that long that looks that dated.  I think I'll give Curse of Monkey Island another whirl in honor of the upcoming game.

-Rasix
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1137 on: June 03, 2009, 02:36:35 PM

After all the hours I spent just tromping around trying to look up all the members of what I wanted to be my "real" party, listening to Minsc go "HEY I HAVE A HAMSTER! LOOK AT MY HAMSTER! HOLY FUCK THIS HAMSTER NEVER STOPS BEING FUNNY!" the whole time, it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1138 on: June 03, 2009, 02:39:45 PM

I just bought Sins of a Solar Empire from Amazon. I hear its a good game.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: June 03, 2009, 03:09:32 PM

It's a very, very good game.  It needed a single player campaign to hold my interest, but it's a very good game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: June 03, 2009, 04:22:10 PM

JA2 had some of the greatest party interaction moments ever. I always loved bringing Fidel along, he'd lose his cool and start blowing shit up. One time I had this whiny medic guy (forget his name) and Fidel got fed up with him and chased him around trying to kill him while the medic kept running and trying to hide. And the rest of the team tried to complete the mission.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: June 03, 2009, 08:16:35 PM

Been playing Disgaea 3. The music gets stale, but other than that, I'm hooked. The storyline is fun, especially since this is my intro to the franchise.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: June 03, 2009, 10:09:55 PM

Thinking about buying Disgaea DS, which I guess I will play for a while if I decide for it.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: June 04, 2009, 12:34:50 AM

Im playing Super Robot Taisen 4 at the moment.   That new Mazinger Z show has me hankering for giant robot smashy smash.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1144 on: June 04, 2009, 06:59:22 AM

I'm playing Legend of the Green Dragon.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: June 04, 2009, 08:15:25 AM

I got Sims 3 yesterday and have been playing the hell out of it.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: June 04, 2009, 08:20:00 AM

Bioshock
Dead Space
KOTOR 2
DoW
DoW 2

... and Warhammer Online.  Don't ask, just don't ask.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1147 on: June 04, 2009, 10:49:16 AM

My BG2 squad of obedient evil killbots is go. Blackguard, berzerker, cleric of Talos, thief, assassin, necromancer. The Blackguard class comes via mod and is pretty cool. I actually have to keep my rep below 14 or he'll fall like a paladin and lose his powers. There were two versions I considered, this one and an overpowered but flavorless one that doesn't have to worry about rep.

I went with two thief types so I could spec them heavily into two skills each. The assassin I specced for stealth and trap detection, to use as a scout and backstabber. The thief is specced for pickpocketing and lockpicking and is there to clean out the rubes whenever I hit a new part of town. The only nuisance is that they need to both be present to open a container that's both locked and trapped, but that'll probably mostly be in a dungeon and after winning a fight with everyone around anyway.

Jaheira died helpless in her cell, feebly trying to heal herself as my mage rained spells down on her. Minsc did the same, only with less healing and more screaming at his hamster. Man it was satisfying.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1148 on: June 06, 2009, 01:05:10 PM

Welp, so much for that. I just plain refuse to participate in that horrible, horrible, horrible combat system. Between that and the NPC interaction system just being annoying, there isn't much reason to play.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1149 on: June 07, 2009, 12:44:05 AM

I don't remember having a single "problem" with the combat in the game. Are you just not accustomed to Infinity Engine games? The worst fights were with high-end mages with lots of magical defenses, so I'd have to waste a round or two burning through the stuff with my 3 mages.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1150 on: June 07, 2009, 04:23:44 AM

Me: Oh look, a scripted encounter and the enemy has a caster. Well I'll just...

Enemy mage: Horror.

Me: Oh piss, and anyone who can dispel it is running around feared. This is fucked.

*load from quicksave*

Me: Okay, THIS time I'll cast my anti-fear buff before I go in. Because I should totally know to just run around with that on 24/7.

Enemy mage: Horror.

Me: Aha, no effect! Hmm, which kinda bubble is that around him? Let me scroll up through all this combat log spam. Hmm, Greater Minor Lesser Globe of Moderate Deflecting. Is that in my mage's book or do I have to google to see what it does? Oh well, this spell of mine should take it off.

My mage: ...

Me: Any time now!

My mage: This isn't really real-time. It's not my turn yet. Okay, now it is. Greater Lesser Moderate Spell Piercing Breach Dispel.

Me: Did that work? He's still got a bubble on him. Am I supposed to know which one that is? Oh well, everyone gank him.

Everyone: My weapon is ineffective!

Enemy mage: Hold person.

My main character: Oh shi-- oof argh blarg!

Me: Fuck me, dispel magic.

Cleric: ...waiting for my turn. Okay, Dispel Magic.

Me: IS THAT SUPPOSED TO WORK? IS THERE A CHART I CAN LOOK AT?!

Main character: BLARGH! *dies*

*reload from quicksave*
*sends in lone mage*
*opens door*
*casts cloudkill*
*slams door closed*
*waits for grunting and hissing to stop*

VICTORY!

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: June 07, 2009, 08:13:02 AM

And that is why turn based is the only way to play D&D on PC.

Strazos

Reply #1152 on: June 07, 2009, 09:21:06 AM

As big of a fanboi as I am of those games, I'll admit some of the mage-heavy battles were retarded. As I said above, I would just spam all sorts of shit from 3 mages, and shit would eventually go away.

Also, my Cavalier with a +5 Carsomyr Holy Avenger could sometimes just pound right through defenses that should block those sort of attacks..../shrug

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: June 07, 2009, 09:37:44 AM

Ok, so you didn't like it. Want my review of FFwhatever the fuck japaconsole pile of shit? I don't play 'em 'cause I don't like 'em. I'd love to have a BG3, and as I mentioned in another thread, I hope the combat isn't diarrhea'd down for people afraid to crack a rulebook or load a save game.

Straz, my last playthrough ran two paladins out front, monstrous.
Strazos

Reply #1154 on: June 07, 2009, 10:26:22 AM

Just because I like posting this shit.

Main: Cavalier
Jaheira
Imoen
Minsc
Nalia
Aerie

This group was practically unstoppable. Jaheira put the final expansion boss down to a single HP in 1 shot (never thought they would allow Harm to work in that situation).

Now I just need to find the time to do an evil/neut playthrough.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: