Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173019 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15505 on: May 23, 2023, 06:00:06 AM

I got around to finishing Fallen Order late last week, and I am glad that I fired it up again and stuck it out.  A good Star Wars game, and a pretty good Star Wars story.  Will eventually play Survivor when it hits the bargain bin.

I will say, Survivor takes all the good stuff from Fallen Order and adds on to it. I'm a total nerd who loves playing dress up in RPGs and so I spent a lot of time enjoying the new customization options which are fairly extensive. Also, I like that you start with most of your powers from the last game and the new lightsaber stances are just great.|

As for what I've been playing, I've been in a sort of comfort food mood lately and replaying games I've played before. It's a good stress reliever for me. I say that and I'm finishing up a replay of Call of Cthulhu... I did play Murdered Soul Suspect since it was free and I enjoyed it even if it was linear and short. It was at least a different kind of game story.

I'm about to fire up some of the Sherlock Holmes games made by, I think, Frog Games? Something like that. I enjoyed their game The Sinking City and am hoping the Sherlock games are semi-RPGs with mysteries to solve. We'll find out I guess.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15506 on: May 24, 2023, 01:36:46 PM

The more I get into Broken Age, the more it is eroding all that Double Fine goodwill I got from Psychonauts 2 (and Brütal Legend). Jesus christ this game is a mess. Like, some parts almost work, but then they don't. And that parts that don't work really don't work. I can't even say Schafer lost his touch with age because Psychonauts 2 is much more recent than BA and it's actually good, what the hell happened here?

edit: finished it, but won't make another post, the game is just not worth it imo. It seems to be very highly rated, which is crazy to me -- sure, the graphics and VA are nice, and some IDEAS around the plot are interesting (it'd make a fine short story, it would hide the weak points better), but the execution... eh, it's just mediocre to bad in all aspects from QOL to puzzle design to characters and writing with some M Night-tier ~twists~ that just made me roll my eyes. Maybe point-and-click adventures are just graded on a curve... which means I was probably a bit too harsh on VirtuaVerse and should upgrade its C+ to a B. It's DEFINITELY better than Broken Age.

I played Broken Age pretty recently and from memory the first half got really good reviews but the reviews for the second half were pretty bad, citing everything from random puzzles to the plot going off the rails.
I expected that too, but when I googled a bit for Broken Age reviews out of curiosity, most of them were just gushing about it (it's true that act 2's reception was a bit colder, but it was still well-received, overall recommended, etc.). Like this one (which seems to be an adventure game-focused site that doesn't just give high marks to everything). Even the more negative ones praised the story, characters, etc. and gave scores in the 80s, the only ones that seemed critical about the game's core problems were written by RPS alums of all people.

I can't even say it was due to an adventure game drought, the early 2010s were some of the golden years of the Wadjet Eye catalogue, and those are tiny indie games on a shoestring budget that put Broken Age to shame (well, other than production values). Gemini Rue, Resonance, Primordia, the Blackwell series, Technobabylon...

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #15507 on: May 27, 2023, 05:16:42 PM

Route 96 on the Switch. I have no idea why I'm enjoying it, but I'm enjoying it. Piecing together the stories is fun and I've had a couple of "oh crap" moments where things go awry.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15508 on: June 04, 2023, 12:54:06 PM

Ok, onward to Zelda. I really enjoyed finally playing Fire Emblem Three Houses except that I went the Black Eagle route and when the game just ended after I killed Rhea I was like wait wait wait WTF because it was totally setting up a big battle against "those who slither in the dark" and then they just dropped all that except for a few lines of text.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15509 on: June 04, 2023, 09:39:45 PM

Ok, onward to Zelda. I really enjoyed finally playing Fire Emblem Three Houses except that I went the Black Eagle route and when the game just ended after I killed Rhea I was like wait wait wait WTF because it was totally setting up a big battle against "those who slither in the dark" and then they just dropped all that except for a few lines of text.
The 'standard' Black Eagles route is the shortest in the game, incidentally (there is an alternate longer BE path where you side with Rhea, but I think it's not as strong). As for the Slytherin slitherers, some other houses interact with that group more.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15510 on: June 26, 2023, 09:34:53 PM

Did they NGE Conan Exiles? This feels way worse from what I remember. Got a hankering for a survival base builder, so I reinstalled. This so far is a bit rough. Maybe I just have rose colored glasses for an old game.

Been busy with a new job and it's the summer so my son's hogging the PC until late. Beat Zelda: TotK. Great game. Runs like poop on the Switch, but it's manageable.

Any survival base builders I should check out that maybe I haven't?

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15511 on: June 27, 2023, 07:23:16 AM

From what I can tell with Conan, the new Age of War update did a lot of changes to combat, removing things like stunlocks and changing up stamina. I don't know how that effects the play because I know there have been changes in the years since I played it. I have been getting a hankering to go back to it.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15512 on: June 27, 2023, 07:49:35 AM

I'm sort of curious, but I kind of played out the game after the Sorcery update. Maybe I'll take a look.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #15513 on: July 01, 2023, 03:04:49 PM

Did they NGE Conan Exiles? This feels way worse from what I remember. Got a hankering for a survival base builder, so I reinstalled. This so far is a bit rough. Maybe I just have rose colored glasses for an old game.

Been busy with a new job and it's the summer so my son's hogging the PC until late. Beat Zelda: TotK. Great game. Runs like poop on the Switch, but it's manageable.

Any survival base builders I should check out that maybe I haven't?

Have you tried Green Hell? I haven't played it yet but it's on my list.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #15514 on: July 12, 2023, 10:01:21 AM

I was browsing YouTube and came across a video about DC Universe Online which believe it or not is actually still around. I downloaded it.  It's changed a lot from the early days. As a free-to-play player we now have access to almost everything a paid player has, so playing for free is perfectly viable now.

The game has expanded immensely and I've been having fun messing around with it. My old account was still there along with my level 3 hero. If you're curious you should check it out again.

With all of the new games coming in the next couple of months, I doubt I'll play a lot but I'll leave it installed to play when I'm frustrated about constantly getting one shotted in Diablo.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15515 on: July 14, 2023, 01:57:01 PM

Anyone play Naraka? Just saw it on Steam. Reminds me of Age of Wushu or whatever the name was.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15516 on: July 14, 2023, 08:27:31 PM

I kind of got into Marvel Snap for a bit. It's fine like a lot of these things right up to the point that it starts being a grind/a "please pay money". Hedonic treadmills and all that. But I do appreciate the complexity of the gameplay in terms of reading the landscape of the locations and matching it to your cards.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15517 on: July 16, 2023, 12:19:49 PM

Anyone play Naraka? Just saw it on Steam. Reminds me of Age of Wushu or whatever the name was.

For me its the most spiritual successor to Gunz I've seen. Either you find the jank and craziness fun or you don't. Game is f2p now so everyone who has even the slightest interest in BR's or melee/movement type 3PS type games should check it out asap during the big rush of newbs.

I kind of got into Marvel Snap for a bit. It's fine like a lot of these things right up to the point that it starts being a grind/a "please pay money". Hedonic treadmills and all that. But I do appreciate the complexity of the gameplay in terms of reading the landscape of the locations and matching it to your cards.

I played a lot of Snap. Its far superior to HS and I'd like to play a TCG on my phone but its run by some really fucked up shitlord(s). All you need to know is that Galactus was released and left create a pillar of completely unfun 0 interaction games for fucking months but that's ok because he was a tier5 or w/e they called it card so only paypigs were going to have him + Knull. They also had designed themselves into a corner, deck size was a bit too small etc. Game was def going to keep getting worse not better. I quit the set after Hit Monkey or maybe 2 sets after. idk I'd have to look it up.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15518 on: July 16, 2023, 01:34:19 PM

Yeah, I'm already hitting a slightly unfun layer as I try to build a deck that's based on destroying mechanics--I run into occasional oh fuck what decks, and I'm dreading seeing anybody who bought the symbiote-based thing that was a $100.00 purchase this last week, since it more or less replaces the plebian Carnage card with two better alternatives. Plus you really hit a point where acquiring new cards slows to nothing, obviously on purpose, while a million cards are calling for upgrades that you can't do. But so it goes with these things. It is still kind of fun.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15519 on: July 18, 2023, 07:05:12 PM

I played and somewhat enjoyed one of the betas, but not enough to spend any money on it. Shame it went f2p after Diablo 4 came out. I might give it a try after I burn out on Season 1, assuming I remember it exists.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15520 on: July 19, 2023, 05:27:10 PM

I played and somewhat enjoyed one of the betas, but not enough to spend any money on it. Shame it went f2p after Diablo 4 came out. I might give it a try after I burn out on Season 1, assuming I remember it exists.

Man I feel the complete opposite. I'm so glad it went f2p so I can stop forcing myself to play D4. Which is a truly pathetic game. I cannot get past just how phoned in so much of D4 is:
-inventory is so terrible. Let's adopt maps from poe but put them in a tab with flasks and make it fill up. Gems are so bad you basically never want to pick them up. The loot system means you ought to pick up most things but you have 0 inventory space so the combat flow is broken up constantly by having to try to manage all this shit inventory design.
-dungeon design is pretty fucking meh. mobs seem really fucking meh. density is really poor and elite modifiers at least through WT4 were so boring and there were so few of them. Couldn't have been 20 modifiers total I swear. All in all I can't imagine how bored I'd be grinding a single yellow paragon socket thingy to L15 in NM dungeons.
-the skill trees are trash. please do not ever defend them. fucking horrible.
-forcing every class to be a boring generator/spender resource system..... zzzzzzzzz
-whole game just feels rushed. like you can't tell me oobols aren't supposed to have something else going on? tree of whispers feels half done?
-having everything scale means the world just feels.... uninteresting? i can see upsides for sure but im not sure it was a good idea. all of the mmo-lite elements are whack. running into random players, legions are fucking retarded, world bosses i've not heard good things and i highly doubt they are going to be 1/10th as good as Lost Ark bosses/raids.

Blizz has a really good art/sfx department. Nobody does weighty animations/sounds as well as they do. That's it. The BGM in D4 doesn't even feel memorable or good? Might just be the game isn't putting me in the mood to enjoy the music but idk.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:29:21 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15521 on: July 20, 2023, 05:26:33 AM

-having everything scale means the world just feels.... uninteresting? i can see upsides for sure but im not sure it was a good idea. all of the mmo-lite elements are whack. running into random players, legions are fucking retarded, world bosses i've not heard good things and i highly doubt they are going to be 1/10th as good as Lost Ark bosses/raids.

I'm replaying Skyrim Anniversary Edition right now, and that feels like leveled enemies done right.  Not everyone gets levels, and the way leveling works means that your power boost still feels effective.  Enemies level enough to still be some threat, so you can't just treat it as a walking simulator, but your gear and levels matter.  You can fine tune your difficulty with perk points, grinding out levels, or going whole hog with enchanting/crafting.

Most more unstructured games used to let users kind of set their own difficulty by giving opportunities to level/gear up off of side content.  I still remember getting pissed at Rygar on the original Nintendo...  I stayed in a spot where one enemy spawned, taped down the joystick to crouch and the button to attack (Nintendo joystick auto button!), and left the room for a few hours.  Came back to a super leveled character.  Gold box games and random encounters.  Symphony of the Night and whether or not to farm the Crissaegrim.

D2 you had that.  When you get to a new Act, you have to stick close to town.  Get some levels and get your gear spike, and you can gradually go further and further afield.  Farm up till the boss is the appropriate level of difficulty, get to the next Act, realize you need to go back to stock up on some gear first because this new Act is TOUGH.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15522 on: July 20, 2023, 05:55:12 PM

It's the way I still understand levels. I hate this idea that at all times the same kinds of enemies will always be a danger to me. I deeply love an RPG structure where there are easy places (usually close to towns/civilization), medium places, dangerous places, and REALLY FUCKING dangerous places, and that I can go to any of them, but in some of them at the wrong time I'll be lucky to survive just being there, let alone winning a fight. And that as time goes on, I'm more able to roflestomp some of what I was once afraid of. I don't want an RPG where the kobolds stay as strong as I do in the name of 'challenge'--that's a sign of a game where the world isn't actually hand-designed, if nothing else.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15523 on: July 21, 2023, 07:30:15 AM

It's the way I still understand levels. I hate this idea that at all times the same kinds of enemies will always be a danger to me. I deeply love an RPG structure where there are easy places (usually close to towns/civilization), medium places, dangerous places, and REALLY FUCKING dangerous places, and that I can go to any of them, but in some of them at the wrong time I'll be lucky to survive just being there, let alone winning a fight. And that as time goes on, I'm more able to roflestomp some of what I was once afraid of. I don't want an RPG where the kobolds stay as strong as I do in the name of 'challenge'--that's a sign of a game where the world isn't actually hand-designed, if nothing else.

I agree 100%. What's the point of leveling if the enemies just mysteriously stay as strong as I do. Then again, I have never and will never play Elden Ring or other From Software games. I'm not into gaming to beat my chest about beating some impossible challenge.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15524 on: July 22, 2023, 05:15:42 AM

That last tweet, which came from this thread https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1676767721675948033?t=kd4dw0cAsmqUQyhHN6v_4A&s=19 was just so gold.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15525 on: July 24, 2023, 05:48:54 AM

Your link doesn't go anywhere Hoax....   or at least it just goes to a single tweet and you get spammed to set up a Twitter account, but won't even let you click through anymore.  Bret Devereaux has a great blog, though!

I was just thinking about how nonsensical healing potions are in D4....  you get X amount unless you pick up something to recharge a use, thats it!  But now all your big fights have stages or adds that kick out pots at a set time or life total.  Wny don't they just cut the boss HP to 20%?  Why do you need to punch a giant bag of HP so long?  Sure, you can design mobs and bosses to do a big attack that takes 90% of your health, and that's cool you almost died!! and quick hit your flask!!  But when every mob/boss does the same thing it just becomes another form of tedium that has also closed off a chunk of design space to work with. 

Potions pre-Souls like were another way to play around with the difficulty.  We all joke about the potions that sit in our inventories all game for the rainy day that doesn't come, but the whole point was that if we ever hit a "i'm done with this shit" moment we could chug down half a dozen powerups and wreck whatever the issue is.  Or D2, when you pushed up to something more difficult you would pack half your inventory with pots.  Then when you burned through the pots in your stash, drop back down an Act and farm up.

Also also, fuck I-frames. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #15526 on: July 24, 2023, 06:53:05 PM

Completely agree. Good RPGs have milestone moments when you are finally good enough to defeat something you previously got destroyed by. Like the troll encounter in the original Pool of Radiance, for example.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15527 on: July 25, 2023, 07:32:25 PM

I've been playing Marvel's Midnight Suns for the last few days and wow, it's really good. It's an RPG with a tactical card battle system. You make your own character and can decorate your room in your HQ. It is more on the supernatural/magical side of the Marvel universe and I quite like it. I'm taking my sweet time with it building up friendships with other characters which enhances their battle abilities and also sometimes gives me new outfits for them or me.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15528 on: July 26, 2023, 04:26:56 AM

D4: so boring that I think literally everyone I know except one mega grinder has dropped it before even making Chapter 5 of battlepass goals or whatever we call that.

Naraka: There is a massive step up if you play enough and get out of nothing but lost newbies and bots land where you have to accept that Naraka is a fighting game and you need to do some serious l2p or else you are just fish food. Working on overcoming that hurdle and the game has become even more like Gunz or Tribes or that one Smash with wave dashing where movement is based around essentially glitching animation cancels that make you move faster than normal run/jump stuff ever can.
Very fun and very frustrating at times.

FFXIV: going back to XIV soon it seems. I just can't be bothered with single player and XIV is the better customization, social experiment, freeform game world if you embrace mods and whatnot compared to all these "survival games" which are filled to the brim with the notion that I want to craft things. I don't want to craft things, or build things. I want to interact with humans in strange ways and dabble in some combat and rpg progression. Those things are fun. Chopping down trees for hours is not fun. Miss me with that shit.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 05:02:49 AM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #15529 on: July 26, 2023, 06:21:33 AM

Bored with Diablo 4 - it's a polished turd.
Destiny 2: Burnt out on recycled assets and drip-fed content that is generally shit. The only redeeming element of the game is the gunplay and some class skills. I won't be finishing the battlepass I'm so over it.
Warframe: Burnt myself out doing focus for every operator skill, even though I just use Madurai. Wisp Prime is arriving soon so I might tell myself its better than regular wisp and grind for it. Still stuck at MR27 because I don't care.

Played a fair bit of Cyberpunk, damn it feels good now.
I hate Soulslike games, so I bought Remnant 2 to remind me how much I hate the genre. Instead I'm enjoying it (while damming my old reflexes).

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15530 on: July 26, 2023, 06:46:53 AM

I'm just sort of treading water until Baldur's Gate 3 goes fully live. I expect to disappear into that for a good while.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #15531 on: July 26, 2023, 08:11:26 AM

BG3 will take over my life on Aug 3 to the detriment of Starfield. I figure I'll leave Starfield alone for a few months until the obvious bugs are worked out and the modders are getting a handle on it.

I might peek in briefly to see if Bethesda invested in some real professional voice acting for once. If they haven't that might be enough to put me off for much longer.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15532 on: July 28, 2023, 07:19:40 AM

Been playing through the Tactics Ogre remake for the last few weeks and holy shit is the endgame grindy.  They learned a lot of lessons when they went on to Final Fantasy Tactics.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15533 on: July 28, 2023, 02:01:26 PM

Finally managed to get Octopath Traveller 2 working on the deck without crashing every 20 minutes and it seems pretty cool. I am not a big fan of the "path skill" concept for getting loot or info (or summons) from random NPCs, it feels like a collectathon nightmare already and I barely entered chapter 2. Ditto day/night cycle, it just feels like a chore to switch back and forth sometimes. But the combat system is cool, a bit of SMT x Bravely Default that rewards teamwork and (ugh) ~synergy~. Also, some of the party members are way cooler / more interesting than others, but that's probably personal preference (like, I still don't know wtf is going on with Partitio and who thought that a fantasy wild West venture capitalist would be a good concept for a hero adventurer, eh maybe it gets better).

Been playing through the Tactics Ogre remake for the last few weeks and holy shit is the endgame grindy.  They learned a lot of lessons when they went on to Final Fantasy Tactics.
I just skipped most of the optional stuff in the endgame completely -- I did the elemental temples, but even those got very samey with borderline filler encounters. One look at the deep dungeon was enough to nope out. The rest of the game was really solid imo, the end-of chapter fights were brutal (esp with bonus objectives).

Though at least this time there is a soft level cap so unlike the original you aren't forced to grind up your entire army after each combat if a unit had the audacity to level up twice (or level once and get the MVP alert), god that system was shit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 02:10:07 PM by Zetor »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15534 on: July 29, 2023, 05:13:25 AM

Played xcom chimera as it was practically free in the summer sale.

Oh god this is bad. It's like xcom but without moving or the strategy layer.

But! It has made me reinstall xcom2 and the long war mod. So having fun with that instead. I almost certainly won't finish, but I love the mechanics of long war.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15535 on: July 29, 2023, 11:51:42 AM

Yeah, I gave a shot a while back and it amused me for about ten minutes and then it stopped amusing me, so I quit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15536 on: July 29, 2023, 09:05:00 PM

I tried so hard to like Chimera Squad but it just removed all the good parts of XCom and what it replaced it with was really bad.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15537 on: July 31, 2023, 02:55:31 AM

I played expeditions Rome recently. It got pretty repetitive about halfway through the game, but I kept going because the fundamentals were still mostly fun.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #15538 on: August 01, 2023, 05:31:49 PM

For anyone who currently has the early access edition of BG3 - Larian is suggesting that we delete our saved games and then uninstall the early access version completely. This is to avoid file conflicts when we do a fresh install of the release version on Aug 3.
There's no predownloading period but it will become downloadable on August 3 at 12:00 am PDT
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15539 on: August 02, 2023, 06:44:08 AM

Hah, I only installed Baldur's Gate 3 a few days ago in prep for launch.
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: