Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172702 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #15085 on: May 22, 2022, 01:19:10 PM

oh that sounds awful
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15086 on: May 23, 2022, 05:47:18 AM

Played and finished Disco Elysium. Wow. Incredible game but definitely niche. It feels like an adventure game with RPG elements, in a good way. I'm really impressed by how they made a fully realised, engrossing RPG without combat. I'd say it still has some flaws but they're massively outweighed by the great story, art, voice acting, music and gameplay systems. The checks system was good, especially when the game is open and there's a lot to do, but it's easy to get barred behind it and I nearly got locked out at Feld like many others. I liked the Thought Cabinet but I had a run of spending skill points to unlock thoughts that led to more negative skill modifiers, which was not great and definitely did not help progress. I think some of the complaints about the ending are valid, namely the murder investigation part of the story, but I was fortunate it wasn't unexpected for me because of my in-game skills and where I thought it was heading. I also thought the writing had a habit of getting just a bit too verbose and self-indulgent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15087 on: May 24, 2022, 06:36:52 AM

One reason I love Rockstar stuff is the way they populate the world with events, on top of (in the case of rdr2) a big pile of detail. The combo makes for some very enjoyable gameplay. Ironically I was thinking about that when watching (the very beginning of the awful) video linked in the Star Citizen thread recently. I /like/ when a game plays itself, or rather, when it's got enough of a sim engine to generate interesting npc interactions and situations. I was thinking about this when schild talked about Elden Ring being the best open world game ever (and I'll definitely give it a chance at some point), for me it doesn't seem like that kind of open world (from the gameplay vids I've seen).

Over the past few days I've mostly been hanging out by Emerald Ranch, as I just unlocked the wagon fence (started a new game on pc). Pretty routine stuff to unlock the basics in camp and get me a few guns and outfits. Last night's session started out pretty tepid (but profitable), but then the game engine cranked up the sim. Ended up playing a very different and engaging session, including a couple story missions that wound their way into the narrative. Really cool and a good example of when Rockstar gets those layers of systems working well together. The old lady would probably call it an adhd playground.

Hardest part for me (other than the setting) is the slow pace overall. I keep wanting to jump into a hotrod, crank some rock music, and just get back to camp quickly...but the more I embrace the slow play and theme, the more the game opens up its potential. So I've been finding zen in the moments of making coffee at a camp, or enjoying the view as I sit on an advantageous hill and wait for a nice wagon to roll down the road...and then nice punctuations of action and mayhem.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15088 on: May 24, 2022, 07:40:31 AM

Hardest part for me (other than the setting) is the slow pace overall. I keep wanting to jump into a hotrod, crank some rock music, and just get back to camp quickly...but the more I embrace the slow play and theme, the more the game opens up its potential. So I've been finding zen in the moments of making coffee at a camp, or enjoying the view as I sit on an advantageous hill and wait for a nice wagon to roll down the road...and then nice punctuations of action and mayhem.

I should really fire up RDR.  I remember sometimes taking a break from whatever I was doing in Vice City to pull over and just enjoy a sunset while Fernando spun the tunes.  Being able to pull you into moments like that is what makes those games unique.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #15089 on: May 25, 2022, 07:20:30 AM

The problem is always that folks theorycraft so intensely that pretty soon they find out what's optimal, even if the edge is incredibly small, and then the ecosystem becomes crazy lopsided.

That also might be a good design idea--just making any build that is too predominant by some metric have diminishing returns as more people adopt it.

This has actually been done in Asheron's Call. The more people used a given spell (over a given time period) the less effective it became.   You were also supposed to figure out your own spell formulas by trial and error, with each player having a unique seed generating different recipes for each spell. It sounds quite intriguing.  But it really was just a not fun hassle on the research and not having any way to know if your spell was weak or powerful on a given day was really frustrating.   I think most of the playerbase hated it and quickly cracked the unique seed thing so the research was meaningless.  I didn't dabble much in spells (I mostly pursued archery with elemental arrows, and absolutely loved it for solo sniping my way around the landscape) but I vaguely recall the decay mechanic was either removed entirely or nerfed into meaningless trivial effect.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15090 on: May 25, 2022, 08:46:51 AM

Yeah, I remember. One thing you gotta say for early MMOs, they at least tried some interesting mechanics. What they underestimated was how fast large groups of people can figure out exactly what's going on in technical terms and then optimize accordingly. I think they also underestimated the mix between complexity in game systems and the scale of the virtual world itself--I think spawning/dread lord bullshit in UO might have worked far better if the gameworld had been so huge in relationship to the playerbase that people could have spread out to a far vaster degree (without fast travel), for example, whereas maybe AC's diminishing returns system would have worked better if it were simpler (and easier to respec or shift out of an over-crowded skill/spell so you weren't trapped by path dependency).
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #15091 on: May 25, 2022, 01:43:19 PM

Hard disagree on scarcity being a workable mechanic, unless we're talking "No Man's Sky" sized servers.

Some people would work to renewably harvest resources.  Most wouldn't.

Then there's the locusts who would strip the land bare.  For fun, for profit, or both.  And then move to the next area and repeat.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #15092 on: May 25, 2022, 05:35:42 PM

Hard disagree on scarcity being a workable mechanic, unless we're talking "No Man's Sky" sized servers.

Then there's the locusts who would strip the land bare.  For fun, for profit, or both.  And then move to the next area and repeat.

I completely agree, but not sure what you are responding to?

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #15093 on: May 25, 2022, 07:51:54 PM

the post directly above mine?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15094 on: May 26, 2022, 11:13:46 AM

He's replying to me thinking that scarcity can work in a MMO. I think it can, but the servers do indeed need to be as big as No Man's Sky. That's the point: the world needs to be unbelievably vast and the population needs to be quite small--and no instant travel. That means you can't teleport wherever small groups of people have formed communities or wherever a scarce resource has been uncovered.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #15095 on: May 26, 2022, 03:57:53 PM

When I think of scarcity I think you are talking about some sort of resource (either crafting, land or mobs), yet your example is talking about spells and the player base crunching numbers to find the optimal solution.  So I'm pretty confused why you are lumping that into 'scarcity'.  As for scarcity, looters do that with rare loot pretty successfully, not sure why you think the game world needs to be huge to support that.  Am I missing your point?

In terms of the later, I think AC's mistake was as simple as nerfing the popular spells instead of buffing rarely used spells and buff a random sampling of mobs against the popular spells and doing it on a well-communicated schedule (full moon, some such in game mechanic).  So basically you are changing the meta every month/quarter etc.  And I don't know why (other than coding and testing effort) that couldn't have been something they built into the system - especially now via number crunching and pattern matching (i.e. ML).  And that means you don't actually have to do balance passes (especially for shorter cycles) because it's all going to change again shortly anyway (although you would have to pay attention to how drastic the systems were changes).  If it's too much power creep, have a black moon every year to knock things back into shape.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15096 on: May 26, 2022, 07:36:26 PM

I was jumping a bit carelessly to thinking about early UO.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15097 on: May 27, 2022, 05:24:31 AM

I was jumping a bit carelessly to thinking about early UO.

My character's name in the early beta was Slim Pickens.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #15098 on: May 30, 2022, 09:18:46 AM

If the servers are as big as No Man's Sky and players are dispersed relatively evenly across them, then they can be MMOs in name only and pretty much the opposite of everything that makes an MMO different from a single player or small group of friends style experience.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15099 on: May 31, 2022, 07:26:24 AM

So it turns out maybe embracing the slow play in RDR2 means I may finish it by the turn of the next century. It's so good when played this way, though. Becomes a much better rpg due to how the systems work together, several of which are kind of annoying if you're playing it as a GTA-like. I think I'll free roam for a while in Chapter 2, and then for a while in 3. I made it about halfway through chapter 4 in my PS4 playthrough, so when I hit that point I'll probably shoot for a finish and clean up any remaining challenges after.

Also fired up Jedi Fallen Order because Sisters and hunted Jedi are the thing right now. I was already halfway through this run on PC (after finishing it once on PS4), so just enjoying the vibes and different pace from RDR2.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15100 on: June 13, 2022, 09:26:18 AM

Started learning the bass to the Silk Sonic album using Rocksmith. Pretty decent charts, able to get a couple songs down quickly and then had my confidence dented by a third, subtly more technical, one. Amazing album, and the drums and bass are a pure joy to play. Highly recommend.

Also a bit of Civ V comfort gaming.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15101 on: June 13, 2022, 02:02:03 PM

Started learning the bass to the Silk Sonic album using Rocksmith. Pretty decent charts, able to get a couple songs down quickly and then had my confidence dented by a third, subtly more technical, one. Amazing album, and the drums and bass are a pure joy to play. Highly recommend.

I've been drumming along to this as well, particularly Skate.  Anderson .Paak plays some great grooves.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15102 on: June 14, 2022, 11:37:08 AM

Fly As Me, Smokin Out The Window, Leave The Door Open are the ones I've been working so far. Fly As Me is right down center lane for my playing style, in particular.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15103 on: June 14, 2022, 12:49:14 PM

I hadn't even heard of this project, listened to the whole album while I was out running errands yesterday. It slaps.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15104 on: June 16, 2022, 06:36:21 AM

Smokin Out The Window is my wife's favorite song on the album.  The way they sing the line "not to be dramatic... but I want to die" is hilarious pretty much every time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15105 on: June 16, 2022, 09:45:28 AM

Smokin Out The Window is my wife's favorite song on the album.  The way they sing the line "not to be dramatic... but I want to die" is hilarious pretty much every time.
Watch the video. Paak straight up lays face down on the stage for a verse or two after that line.

I'm partial to "Look here, baby, I hope you found whatever it is that you need...But I also hope that your triflin' ass is walkin' 'round barefoot in these streets" from the same track.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15106 on: June 20, 2022, 01:05:13 PM

Symphony of War popped up in my steam recommendations (I apparently bought a rando RPGMaker game made by the same dev a decade ago), and it looked like a pretty good srpg, so picked it up. And it's, in fact, pretty damn good!

It's basically Fire Emblem x Soul Nomad x Ogre Battle (but not realtime this time, thank cthulhu): moving the leaders/hero characters on a FE grid, but each of them have their own squad with mostly-faceless NPCs of various types (that level / gain stats separately too) in customizable formations, and battles between those squads play out semi-randomly (but there are certain rules, like rogues try to hit the backline, some characters have line or column AOE attacks, etc). There are a bunch of different classes (and upgrade paths), a global tech tree, a FE-like support/relationship system, etc etc. Only thing that seems a bit light is the lack of gear for the hero characters (there are artifacts, but they're squad-wide).

I'm only a few missions in, but it feels fresh compared to the usual FE or FFT clones coming out nowadays (even if some of those are clones are p fun). Recommended unless it goes to shit in the mid-to-late game.

Oh yeah, it plays well on the steam deck too.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:07:45 PM by Zetor »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15107 on: June 20, 2022, 05:07:43 PM

Fire Emblem x Soul Nomad x Ogre Battle
Instant purchase.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15108 on: June 22, 2022, 08:43:50 PM

Playing a lot of Cities Skylines (thanks for sharing the bundle on discord) and Star Wars Squadrons in VR, which is incredibly immersive.

Finished and played a couple of indies recently too. Enjoyed Kentucky Route Zero, though I found it occasionally tedious and obtuse. The gameplay wasn't always brilliant either. Tried Everhood but couldn't stand having to constantly restart songs from the beginning after failing halfway. Also finished a series of games called The Frog Detective. It's a really simple and short first person adventure game with enjoyable, funny writing. Makes a good diversion. Also finished Florence, which has neat ways of trying to make a passive story interactive.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15109 on: June 23, 2022, 11:56:49 PM

Symphony of War popped up in my steam recommendations (I apparently bought a rando RPGMaker game made by the same dev a decade ago), and it looked like a pretty good srpg, so picked it up. And it's, in fact, pretty damn good!

It's basically Fire Emblem x Soul Nomad x Ogre Battle (but not realtime this time, thank cthulhu): moving the leaders/hero characters on a FE grid, but each of them have their own squad with mostly-faceless NPCs of various types (that level / gain stats separately too) in customizable formations, and battles between those squads play out semi-randomly (but there are certain rules, like rogues try to hit the backline, some characters have line or column AOE attacks, etc). There are a bunch of different classes (and upgrade paths), a global tech tree, a FE-like support/relationship system, etc etc. Only thing that seems a bit light is the lack of gear for the hero characters (there are artifacts, but they're squad-wide).

I'm only a few missions in, but it feels fresh compared to the usual FE or FFT clones coming out nowadays (even if some of those are clones are p fun). Recommended unless it goes to shit in the mid-to-late game.

Oh yeah, it plays well on the steam deck too.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Thanks for the recommendation, been enjoying this. The UI is the worst part of it but the game is fun enough once you get used to that.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15110 on: June 24, 2022, 08:06:42 PM

Yea, Symphony of War is it. This is exactly the game I've been waiting many years for. Nothing since Soul Nomad has really existed in this space, and I'm glad to see it getting some love.

Can the main character and/or the other story NPCs change class?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15111 on: June 24, 2022, 10:58:34 PM

Yea, Symphony of War is it. This is exactly the game I've been waiting many years for. Nothing since Soul Nomad has really existed in this space, and I'm glad to see it getting some love.

Can the main character and/or the other story NPCs change class?

Some do as part of the storyline, but that's it.  Fortunately, everything else is completely customizable and the gear you can add to your squads can be really impactful later on.  I've been playing the hell out of this for a few days now and I'm really glad it brought back regular troop upgrades which is something that Soul Nomad didn't have and was the one thing really holding that game back from being an all-time favorite of mine.  Now if only Symphony of War made unit placement matter on offensive as well as defense, one thing that Soul Nomad and other games did that wasn't included for some reason.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15112 on: June 25, 2022, 02:25:37 AM

The interface is a bit clunky, yea... it's some of that RPG Maker energy shining through (it's a bit more bearable with a controller). For what it's worth the dev said that they're working on improving the interface, but it's likely to be a longer project.

As far as I can tell, the story NPCs that have generic icons (archer, priestess, knight) can change to advanced classes later, but the MC and other characters with unique icons (like Diana) can't. Though to be fair, changing Diana's class to anything would be the equivalent of changing "T.G. Cid" to a squire in FFT Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15113 on: June 25, 2022, 08:10:07 AM

Alright, thanks.

I hadn't realized unit placement didn't affect what attacks the troops did, but I haven't really tried experimenting yet either.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #15114 on: June 28, 2022, 02:23:20 PM

Downloaded CHORUS on Xbox gamepass - fun space shooter with some open world aspects. Perfect relax game to fly around and dogfight shit in space.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15115 on: June 29, 2022, 07:08:21 AM

Oxygen Not Included ate my weekend. Just hit the right vibe, though I can definitely see getting frustrated with it at some point, I also don't mind the Zomboid-esque idea of 'this is the story of how they all died'. Games that remember to make failing fun/interesting/educational are so rare. Good onemoreturnism™, 'let me just rewire this section of electrical grid' leads to 'goddammit Dave just puked in the reservoir again' and 'why is it 2am'?

Oddly it reminds me of an old, weird, uhh..."game" from the C64 era, Little Computer People, but with an actual game attached.

Last night back into some RDR2. The game is just so massive, and I like to take time to chill and explore regions a bit. Wanted to hunt some boar, so I took the southwest route around Mt Shann to a nice spot I found while hunting the Legendary Buck. I had been holding off because I'm freeroaming Chapter 2 and fuck Micah, didn't want to trigger his mission in Strawberry (because fuck Micah and I don't want his bullshit in camp until I have to). But it was all cool, it's a nice hunting base for Big Valley. Game is so damned pretty, going to miss having an actual gameplay reason to hunt but I feel it will be a while before I get there.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #15116 on: July 03, 2022, 01:03:53 AM

I have spent the last 20 days playing Outriders obsessively. I had already invested about 50 hours for free on XGP but the expansion reignited the craving for shoot and loot and so I decided to repurchase it on Steam plus the expansion, so started a new character and had the same blast if not more. It would be pretty pointless to try and explain why we enjoy this ARPG or the other, and this not being an ARPG makes it even more pointless, but the gameplay loop of shooting millions of mob and looting randomized equipment trying to build the perfect synergies for more xplosions is notoriously addictive, and the whole thing here works for me better than in many other games. This is not a cover shooter, and the weapons and extremely satisfying. I particularly like that you heal by killing. It's like these Devs understand what's fun: staying in the middle of a billion enemies and the only way to survive is to mow 'em down fast enough. Certainly better than Destiny or Borderlands or Warframe (shitty loot) even though those games are very similar and certainly more popular. Anyway, Outriders has a slow start, but it grows into the meatgrinder+loot that is expected, and I like how infinite the endgame is, even though after about 60-80 hours I think I may be done for the time being as I always need new things.

Or kind of.

Enter The Division 2. Which I have also already played to death, but has an expansion I haven't played (Return to New York) and so I am eagerly going back to what is the best looking "looter shooter", and second only to Outriders when it comes to the pleasure of exploding things.

On the side, I am running a lot of trains in Train Sim World 2 and Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Kyoto which is an absolute joy even though has a price tga that is completely unjustifiable (which I paid anyway).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:40:07 AM by Falconeer »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15117 on: July 03, 2022, 11:05:30 AM

or Warframe (shitty loot)
Warframe is a unique and special snowflake. Its loot and build systems are so different than other loot games that you either learn to love it or you hate it.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #15118 on: July 03, 2022, 04:55:47 PM

I'm holding off on the Outriders expansion, despite having one of each class fully geared pre-expansion. The price is just too much for what it is and I don't need a circuit-breaker from Destiny 2 yet. Warframe feels dead to me after too many years playing it, I hate the last set of changes as I would jump into the game and flail around like a god, and then walk away happy. I just don't feel that now. Change in Warframe is usually good, but just not this time for me.

Currently I'm back in Guild Wars 2, I'd forgotten what a gem it is, even though it feels clunky and a bit dated. I still prefer the experience to FF Online. The new expansion is surprisingly good.

That leaves me with playing some Dune and Cities Skylines, plus Dune led me to Northguard, which I don't hate. I have Disco Elysium next up on my "to play" list, I need to finish it before the Hotwheels expansion comes out in Forza 5.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #15119 on: July 03, 2022, 07:17:03 PM

Played a bit of Pac-Man Museum+, it seems fun.  The game is based around a framing device where you've got this arcade you walk around in, and by playing Pac-Man games and completing objectives in them you unlock more games and customization options for your arcade.  Seems a lot higher effort than most retro collections, where they just stick a bunch of ROMs into a menu.  I wish they'd do this with an IP I actually give a crap about.

Finished WH:40k Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, kind of mixed feelings on it.  The first 10 or so hours were some of the most fun I've had all year, tapering down to kind of a "meh" at the end of the game.  The final mission is like an obscenely long multi-phase thing, took me close to two hours, a big part of which was because the AI kept infinitely hanging up in some kind of never ending decision loop.  Had to burn a whole bunch of WP to teleport my guys over to where the AI was freaking out to kill him before he got to move, and then jump BACK to where they were supposed to be.  Frustrating now, but at the time, I was moments away from binning the game and writing it off as complete garbage. Having a two hour slog of a mission is one thing, having to RE-START the two hour mission because it's bugged is a whole other level of tedium.  I feel like 75% of the fun in this game is figuring out the learning curve, and once you're at the top, it's basically just going through the motions until the game finishes.  The game tries to spice things up by throwing random events at you, but they always feel like the game being a dick rather than a fun challenge.

Also played through Adeptus Titanicus: Dominus, which I grabbed because it was being delisted.  If you don't know what Adeptus Titanicus is, it's basically the Battletech tabletop game but in the Warhammer universe (so with more chainsaws all over everything), and Dominus is that translated to video game format.  The campaign has like 18 or so missions, I think I failed one of them one time and blew through the rest first try.  I'd like to attribute that to my natural tactical genius, but I suspect it's more that the game is a bit one-dimensional.  Group up, focus fire, if possible do it on an enemy that hasn't moved yet this turn, and try to win before turn 5 when things like objectives become relevant.  Game was pretty unstable, too, second to last mission I actually got a draw with the computer (killed his last guy with my last guy in a suicide attack) and assumed I'd have to re-do the mission, but it instead it just shunted me IMMEDIATELY to the final mission (no briefing or mission prep or anything) and then when I beat that it crashed and threw me to desktop, so I have no idea WTF was going on in that last mission or what the payoff to the overarching story is.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: