Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172895 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #15120 on: July 11, 2022, 11:30:28 AM

So I've been lounging about in Subnautica: Below Zero for a while. Been enjoying it as much as the first, and though in some ways it's more of the same they still manage to work in some surprises.

It surprises me how relaxing this game is to me. Apparently I have no fear of being under virtual water, and the idea of watching your oxygen (or heat now) and only going so far as you can get back is easy enough. This is no Eco The Dolphin or other games that insisted you explore by dying by making it so that you have to go past your safe return to find the correct path.

I also like orienteering challenges, so the lack of a map or quest arrow is a feature.

That said, this game and its predecessor have a lot in common with the old old school hunt the pixel games. Right now I'm probably going to have to look something up online because I haven't been able to find a resource that I've probably been swimming by without notice for days. I had something similar in the first game when a POI was just *right* there on the wrong side of a hill for me to see every time I passed by it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15121 on: July 15, 2022, 07:22:47 AM

I wish we had something like this available on the old f13 minecraft server with the Bz/Nix NetherOps rail system: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/vzbeds/minecraft_transit_railway_mod_took_advantage_of/

I've been getting into some Into the Breach on the deck, it's a nice quick pickup/putdown game. Still out hunting pelts in RDR2, I should probably get the story going at some point but also I could just explore the rest of the NW side of the map since I'm probably at a couple hundred hours between PS4/PC...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15122 on: July 15, 2022, 10:40:53 AM

Tried some Iron Oath yesterday. It was ok? Didn't grab me too hard.

I have been doing some Subnautica: Below Zero as well. It does occasionally feel a bit "hey I have played this already". I kind of wish water and food were less of a hassle in the early going.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15123 on: July 18, 2022, 12:37:22 PM

Started playing Raft. It's not bad. You're kind of just thrown into the deep end (hyuck hyuck) with almost no guidance, so it takes a few tries to get the flow of the game. I love these types of games, so I'll likely do my best to finish it.

Also played a little bit of V Rising, but I'm not sure if I'll go back to it. The combat feels fucking terrible. Putting it down until release is a definite possibility.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15124 on: July 18, 2022, 01:49:06 PM

My brother got me Satisfactory for my birthday.  So now that's a thing.    ACK!

I'm a little tempted to put it down for a bit until they finish fleshing out the story bits, because if I were progressing a story as I optimized my conveyor belts it'd be just about perfect.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15125 on: July 18, 2022, 02:17:00 PM

The story is you are destroying a pristine environment to make widgets. You monster.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15126 on: July 18, 2022, 09:25:34 PM

The story is you are destroying a pristine environment to make widgets. You monster.

Yup, this is it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15127 on: July 19, 2022, 05:45:50 AM

Played Wartales yesterday. It's not bad. It needs some balancing work, I think.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #15128 on: July 19, 2022, 07:03:02 AM

I'm back to playing RimWorld once again as the upcoming release on consoles reminded me I hadn't checked out the dlc released last year (though I'll stick to the pc version with all the mods).
schild
Administrator

Reply #15129 on: July 19, 2022, 07:12:01 AM

I can't believe they came out with a consolified version of RimWorld. Every time it pops up on my steam recs I'm shocked by it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15130 on: July 19, 2022, 07:31:16 AM

I wish that game had clicked with me, I love the idea of it. I don't think it even stuck as long as Oxygen Not Included has already. Also, I have been tempted by Raft for a while but my chill gaming time is spoken for with RDR2.

Still slow playing that game and loving it. Such an immersive environment. Can be zany GTA-like, but also becomes almost simmish in a way. I'm hunting panther, which are pretty elusive. Found a few in my travels, so last night my whole session was just to snag a pelt (I'm almost done with my satchels after finding a chapter 2 iguana spawn). That was basically my entire 1-2 hour session, I didn't find one, and it was still an awesome gaming experience. Once you wrap your head around the fact that you can't just quickly go accomplish something quickly and accept that it's cowboy time, it really opens up a relaxing experience. And I snagged a legendary white fox (which of course means I need to stop my panther hunt and ride it back to the trapper before I lose it from dying!).

Also started Hades which is ok for that kind of thing. A little tough to see what's going on, playing it on the deck. Mine eyes hath definitely grown accustomed to the big screen gaming.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15131 on: July 19, 2022, 09:10:35 AM

I need to restart RDR2 on my console--my wife unusually got pretty interested in watching it. I'm so used to PC controls that I had trouble learning to shoot properly with a Playstation controller, but I know I can get there with a bit of effort.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15132 on: July 19, 2022, 11:00:42 AM

Also started Hades which is ok for that kind of thing. A little tough to see what's going on, playing it on the deck. Mine eyes hath definitely grown accustomed to the big screen gaming.
Hades has a really good story. It's worth playing through to at least the default ending if you can.
Rasix

Reply #15133 on: July 19, 2022, 11:09:04 AM

RimWorld is fantastic, but if I start playing, I'll end up going down a month's long rabbit hole of establishing techno-fascist communes or drug addled warrior clans.

Raft is like The Forest, but with water instead of trees and a shark instead of zombies (so far). Less tense, but the fear of starvation or dehydration is amplified. The island exploration is neat if a little janky, but offers an interesting strategic aspect to it all. My raft so far is no where near self sufficient, but it's getting to the point where I'm not as afraid of a slow, miserable death.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 soonish. WOOOOOOOOO. Weeb time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 03:55:11 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15134 on: July 19, 2022, 11:29:23 AM

Hades has a really good story. It's worth playing through to at least the default ending if you can.

Yeah, I like it, it's just the kind of fast clicky combat things I don't really do much. I blame Dead Cells for being so much better than its genre, it made me more open to trying stuff I normally don't like when there is a well-liked new entry.

The inability to quit the game during a run is my main gripe (other than hard to see on small screen). Not deck-friendly in that regard, since I can't have a game running on the deck if I want to play on the big rig. I think I've ended half my runs by abandoning them thus far because of that, kind waters down the roguelikeness a lot (no progress saved).

Funny you mention the Forest, Ras. Raft is kind of in the same category of survivals for me. There are a bunch that look good and I may like, but it tends to take more than 2 hours to decide and I don't like throwing money away on games I have better versions of (which is why I have like 700 hours or w/e in 7 Days to Die). Forest looks like a game I'd enjoy until I strongly did not, like maybe Green Hell, too.
Rasix

Reply #15135 on: July 19, 2022, 12:22:42 PM

Different strokes I guess. I played 7 Days and was turned off immediately.

Raft, The Forest, both Subnauticas, and to a lesser extent Conan, V Rising, The Long Dark feed into a interesting survival/crafting/exploration loop that I find pleasing. But they all also push you forward through a loose story progression. Works for me. I wasn't initially sure with Raft, due to the early game part being really tight on resources and you have to get some shit done quicky or you're screwed. Plus, it's a little rough around the edges, but I can look past that for a $20 title.  

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 03:54:41 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #15136 on: July 19, 2022, 12:42:53 PM

oh man the forest is bad
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #15137 on: July 19, 2022, 03:48:58 PM

Raft is like The Forrest

You never know what you're gonna get.
Rasix

Reply #15138 on: July 19, 2022, 03:54:26 PM

Stop being mean, everyone.  awesome, for real

oh man the forest is bad

It's not great, but it's fits the niche pretty well. The end is pretty sloppy and the tech advancement is not good.

This all just makes me want to play Conan again. I wish that game had less DLC attached to it and was a bit more solo friendly (as far as bosses go).

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 04:02:53 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15139 on: July 20, 2022, 06:38:46 AM

I had fun when we first had a server for Conan but the solo experience left me cold. I do own it, so I should probably revisit at some point now that it's had years of patching. But yeah, games developed specifically for co-op I tend to avoid as they usually get punitive for solo experiences.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #15140 on: July 20, 2022, 12:46:08 PM

I had fun when we first had a server for Conan but the solo experience left me cold. I do own it, so I should probably revisit at some point now that it's had years of patching. But yeah, games developed specifically for co-op I tend to avoid as they usually get punitive for solo experiences.

I was going to "jump back into Conan" a while back, but then looked at the 40+ gig patch download it had accumulated and decided to wait until my Starlink comes in...

A big dose of the fun in these games is wandering up on what another player has built. I feel the same about Minecraft. I need to be on a shared server or it just falls flat.

Survival/Builder games with some sort of interesting story progression can be fun to solo though. Subnautica is definitely on that list. Not sure how 7 Days to Die fits in since I never play it multiplayer -- maybe I can just get into the feel of being the sole apocalyptic survivor enough not to want to see anybody else...
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #15141 on: July 21, 2022, 06:23:40 PM

Fired up Stray, having fun so far. Bought RDR2, couldn't get the Rockstar launcher to work, their tech support pretty much said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so refunded.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15142 on: July 22, 2022, 05:50:34 AM

The launcher used to be problematic a few years ago, but I haven't had any problems with it outside a weird thing where I had to launch GTA V directly from the R* launcher to initially change video settings. The current version even worked on the steam deck without me doing anything.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15143 on: July 22, 2022, 07:52:18 AM

I got into the Multiversus open beta because my nephew wanted to play a game with me. Just too many buttons/button smashing for this old man.  ACK!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15144 on: July 22, 2022, 10:36:46 AM

Try Shaggy? He seems button mashing friendly.
Rasix

Reply #15145 on: July 22, 2022, 01:07:54 PM

Now that I've had some more time with Raft, I'd rate this game as solidly mediocre. I'd only recommend if you're a fan of this particular niche. The story destinations are bad/no fun (so far). The production values on everything is really barebones. The "I'm on a boat" thing is novel, and I see the potential in building some pretty nifty rafts, but the general low quality and excessively punitive systems make this one a bit of a chore at times. I think I'm done with the first third of the story and I'm not sure it's going to get any better, although this being a game that was in early access for sometime, perhaps the later parts benefit from user feedback. The systems interact pretty well and building a self sufficient raft eco system might be kind of interesting.

I'll probably putter around with this until Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or I could play The Quarry, which my son bought with some birthday money.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15146 on: July 22, 2022, 07:01:34 PM

Pretty deep into Wartales now. So one thing I really like is that the tactical combat is actually pretty complicated--there's a chess-like feel to it, you really need to get the sequencing of your attacks absolutely right to get all the synergies available in order to win the harder battles. There's some tedium in marching around and the pathfinding is ATROCIOUS on the world map--your guys can get stuck on landscape for no reason and it takes a ton of clicks. Also the graphics on the tactical battlefield are annoying--you can have poison clouds all over the place that are hard to see, etc. But it's pretty fun, if plainly Early Access and as such needing more work.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15147 on: July 22, 2022, 11:10:13 PM

Pretty deep into Wartales now. So one thing I really like is that the tactical combat is actually pretty complicated--there's a chess-like feel to it, you really need to get the sequencing of your attacks absolutely right to get all the synergies available in order to win the harder battles. There's some tedium in marching around and the pathfinding is ATROCIOUS on the world map--your guys can get stuck on landscape for no reason and it takes a ton of clicks. Also the graphics on the tactical battlefield are annoying--you can have poison clouds all over the place that are hard to see, etc. But it's pretty fun, if plainly Early Access and as such needing more work.

You should try Battle Brothers, if you haven't already. It was the main inspiration for Wartales, though the tactical core is very different (Wartales has no randomness when executing attacks a'la Telepath Tactics, Invisible Inc, and a bunch of newer trpgs -- Battle Brothers is a lot more on the XCOM/Bloodbowl side of RNG/risk management).

Been revisiting Fell Seal recently to check out the DLC thing. Still a pretty good Final Fantasy Tactics-like with a crazy class advancement tree. I particularly like their implementation of consumables: you can craft various healing/support/offensive consumables throughout the game that have substantial effects and will automatically replenish themselves after each fight -- however, you also only have a small number of them (usually 1) available at a time. This turns a consumable from a generic "spend some money to gain a minor advantage" thing into more of a high-impact tactical choice AND removes the annoying micromanagement of consumables between battles, which is a win-win for me at least.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15148 on: July 23, 2022, 10:29:22 AM

I dunno, the graphics for Battle Brothers kind of turned me off.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15149 on: July 25, 2022, 09:02:42 AM

I've been looking at Wartales and got the same vibe you're experiencing. And also read about Battle Brothers and was immediately turned off by the graphics style.

Went through the steam library and tagged a couple more games to try on the Deck. My metric is if it sucks me in for an hour, it's a good fit. Hit it in one with Deep Sky Derelicts. Nothing revolutionary, but I enjoyed it to the tune of ~30 hours on pc and it plays well on Deck (it's listed as ? for compatibility). A few weird things about the layout, but overall it works fine. Card text can be tough to read, but usually the UI will enlarge cards when you're making choices, so this is a somewhat minor gripe from a few weird spots in the inventory/store screens.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #15150 on: July 25, 2022, 09:54:15 AM

I liked Deep Sky Derelicts a lot. Not as much as Darkest Dungeon which is by far a better game, but the setting and atmosphere was wonderful.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #15151 on: July 25, 2022, 06:11:22 PM

Fell Seal is really pretty good.  Vaguely like a Divinity game but with vastly more freedom and less of the do this one thing or die in this set-piece battle mechanic.

Battle Brothers graphics turned me off as well but watching friends play it last week piqued my interest.  The comment that it was like an X-Com game has made it all click for me and now I want to give it a try!  Of course I've missed the sale  why so serious?

A new Expedition is due any day now in No Man's Sky.  It looks to be a lot more interesting than the last one as it's based on the new and improved Freighter capital ships.  They just released a huge new update revamping Freighters plus a lot of quality of life changes.  Unfortunately it also included the usual *add something new that's pretty cool but breaks old stuff* mechanic. In this case they've broken most people's freighter bases to one degree or another, removing ramps, teleporters, refiners and most other base equipment in your Freighter, and added recipes for pretty but sometimes clunky specialized rooms for most of them instead. Unfortunately these rooms drastically limit your options for efficient/interesting ship/base layouts and you're now mostly limited to making little mazes of square rooms to use them.  Plus you have to purchase each new room separately using Salvaged Frigate Modules which are a huge pain in the ass to acquire since the previous update where the ability to get them from cargo pods and ships was nerfed into uselessness.  But hey, you can add windows and short range teleporters to your Freighter now, and teleport to it as well as from it, among other improvements.  I do wish they would give us something useful to do with the billions of credits you can get once you've built up some mining and farming infrastructure.  Like purchasing Freighter components.  A billion credits would actually be less painful (and more satisfying) than 1 Salvaged Frigate Module!  But I guess they want you to grind for those damn modules instead of reward you for building the infrastructure to make credits.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #15152 on: July 26, 2022, 08:31:34 PM

I decided to restart Cyberpunk.  I remembered how bored I was and quit again.   Back to playing nothing and wondering what happened to the AAA developers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 08:52:16 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Rasix

Reply #15153 on: July 28, 2022, 01:44:35 PM

I'm not sure I've ever played a game where the actual story was the worst part of it, but here's Raft. I've been playing more Earthbound on the Switch than this lately. The emulator for the SNES Online offerring is complete shit. Well, either that or Earthbound had a ton of slowdowns in the original, but I don't remember that when I played it on other emulators.

Everything's fine, though, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 tomorrow.  Rock Out Rock on! Hulk Rock

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15154 on: August 01, 2022, 09:40:30 AM

Loaded How to Survive 2 up on the Deck. Nice session game, biggest knock I have (even on desktop) is the lack of pausing because it's low budget and built for coop, I'd wager. So the suspend feature is really nice here! Still not a huge fan of the thumbsticks (particularly the right one, never seems to stay under my thumb correctly), but this is one of my favorite (I haven't played many) dual-stick shooter style games, and it plays great on the deck. Pretty easy on battery, which was nice after trying to play some Witcher 3 with graphics cranked (I set the Witcher aside again because the horse-based gameplay makes me press the RDR2 buttons).

Also, now 4 songs down on Silk Sonic, though 777 has a segment I need to tighten up still. Legendary album, easily one of the most fun things I've played in Rocksmith.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: