Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173083 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13860 on: March 05, 2020, 12:53:07 PM

Took me 120 hours to finish it. I still think it's the longest/largest rpg I've played especially because it's not a matter of a billion sidequests making it big. And yes, loved every minute.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13861 on: March 05, 2020, 03:29:41 PM

Not having played it, I would say that I have rarely seen something familiar produce this degree of radical divergence in strongly held views. People I know who like the new Pokemon love it; people who hate it feel that with a dark, deep passion. Nobody that I know seems to be "oh yeah that it's kind of ok, I suppose, I sort of enjoy Pokemon nostalgically so ok".
It's a lot worse than previous games in a lot of really obvious ways, that could easily have been prevented/fixed to the point that they seem intentional. Dexit is the most egregious example, but there are others: the extreme story-driven nature of the game, the frequent free heals that are everywhere, Pokemon you can't even catch until you have enough badges, etc. Additionally, I've felt that Pokemon games have been gradually getting worse for a while (as opposed to just staying the same or improving), so when Sw/Sh came out and were even worse it was the last straw. It's the first generation that I didn't finish a game in the series, ever, and the new DLC coming out doesn't really address any of the problems. This is compounded by the fact that a lot of Nintendo's other first party titles have been really good on Switch: Mario Odyssey is fantastic, Zelda BotW is universally beloved, and so on.

That aside, I don't know anyone who actually loved Sw/Sh. My kid played it and beat it, but he was done with it much faster than he has been with any previous game. I know plenty of people who thought it was fine, but no one who has actually argued that it was a big improvement for the series.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #13862 on: March 07, 2020, 06:13:45 PM

I got it for Christmas. It's fine.

edit:
Played some Nier: Automata. Interesting game. The gameplay itself really isn't that great so far, but the story and setting are interesting.

I finished this game the first time. My take is similar.  I enjoyed the atmosphere, characters, and the gonzo video-gameness of it all, the willingness to play with form, but the core gameplay is pretty hamfisted. I know there's more story if you replay two more times, but I don't think I can bring myself to push through it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13863 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:36 AM

More Rimworld now that the mods are working again post 1.1; more than almost any other game I find it unplayable now if I don't have the mods. The expansion is good--it's kind an interesting and surprising direction.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #13864 on: March 08, 2020, 02:56:19 PM

More Rimworld now that the mods are working again post 1.1; more than almost any other game I find it unplayable now if I don't have the mods. The expansion is good--it's kind an interesting and surprising direction.

What's your favorite/essential 5 mods?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13865 on: March 09, 2020, 02:51:12 AM

Mostly plugging away at Cold Steel 2.  About 40 hours in, and I will admit that I am starting to look forward to the end.  I preferred CS1 in general, and for sure prefer the Trails series overall.  I mean, it is still good, but it is starting to get fairly repetitive.

Need to get back into Fallen Order, is what I need to do.  Stellar game.

And Persona 5 has been neglected for like 4 weeks.  I had a death in combat set me back to the start of a palace and it kinda pissed me off.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #13866 on: March 09, 2020, 04:37:48 AM

What's your favorite/essential 5 mods?

top 5:
Quarry 1.1
Wall Light
EdB Prepare Carefully
[JDS] Simply Storage
Recycle 1.1

QoL mods (which are even more important than any in the top 5):
[FSF] Complex Jobs
Colony Manager
Replace Stuff
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13867 on: March 09, 2020, 11:12:45 AM

I got it for Christmas. It's fine.

edit:
Played some Nier: Automata. Interesting game. The gameplay itself really isn't that great so far, but the story and setting are interesting.

I finished this game the first time. My take is similar.  I enjoyed the atmosphere, characters, and the gonzo video-gameness of it all, the willingness to play with form, but the core gameplay is pretty hamfisted. I know there's more story if you replay two more times, but I don't think I can bring myself to push through it.

I just beat the first run through. The game gets really easy once you're able to fully unlock the additional slots for plugin chips. Getting life regen + life on kill makes it a lot easier to not worry about getitng hit so much, although by the end I was getting pretty good with my dodge timing. I'll probably keep playing until the PoE league hits.

Yoko Taro is my kind of crazy. Seems like he's a little more on the Suda51 side on a scale of crazy rather than the Kojima side. This is something I'm glad to have played. It just felt like someone really enjoyed making this and had enough free reign to do something interesting. The hacking game is a bit shit through and probably should have not been left in.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13868 on: March 09, 2020, 07:41:21 PM

A bunch of the Harmony/HugsLib mods. The one that lets you select a bunch of stuff at once to perform the same operation on is just oh-man-must-have.

I miss the one, unless it's back and I haven't seen it, that let you build guest houses for factions nearby.

Not sure if it's a mod or the new patch, but the ShipBattle event is just a bit too much.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13869 on: March 10, 2020, 09:09:40 AM

Mostly plugging away at Cold Steel 2.  About 40 hours in, and I will admit that I am starting to look forward to the end.  I preferred CS1 in general, and for sure prefer the Trails series overall.  I mean, it is still good, but it is starting to get fairly repetitive.

You are in luck. The bridging gap between Sky and Cold Steel is getting an English translation in four days.

https://youtu.be/CQWEc9rPhR0

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13870 on: March 11, 2020, 12:42:51 AM

You are in luck. The bridging gap between Sky and Cold Steel is getting an English translation in four days.

https://youtu.be/CQWEc9rPhR0

What the cripes?  I didn't even know that was a thing.  Nice.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13871 on: March 11, 2020, 05:29:21 AM

Needed a break from Persona 5 at the 65 hour mark. If the little popularity meter is a secret game progress meter, I'm 37% done  swamp poop I dig most of the music, but it's now slowly driving me insane hearing the same handful of tracks over and over and over and over. Not really the last surprise when you've had 134,782 'last' surprises. I have a thing about repetition, do not like.

So I loaded up minecraft, MC Eternal modpack. Kitchen sink pack with an adventure focus, seems pretty nice so far. Lots of new stuff (to me) and world gen seems pretty legit (I love finding cool stuff). Might be a bit OP, since I found a nice magic sword and pants in a pregen house near spawn...but I like to err on the side of OP, heh.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13872 on: March 16, 2020, 12:58:15 PM

Shit, so I am like in the last 1 percent of Cold Steel 2, getting a bit weary, and now Cold Steel 3 is coming out in a week on PC.  WHAT AM I GOING TO DO.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13873 on: March 16, 2020, 04:33:58 PM

You know that Cold Steel 4 is already out in Japan, right?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13874 on: March 17, 2020, 10:46:56 AM

Final Fantasy XIV is most of the menu lately. Wife and I play together almost exclusively but we have joined the most casual FC ever and have interacted with some of them 3-4 times.

I created some smoking hot outfits for my white/black mage and I get all the commendations, and sometimes free shit. Got invited to a random wedding, picked up some minions and seemingly a boyfriend.

Independent confirmation from someone with lv80 in EVERYTHING that I was a very good healer. My criticisms of all those other healers seems justified.

Alternately I'm wasting a lot of time in W40K Inquisitor Martyr.

Waiting patiently for Animal Crossing.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13875 on: March 17, 2020, 12:39:11 PM

You know that Cold Steel 4 is already out in Japan, right?

Oh sweet Jesus.  I mean....I am a fan, so it’s all good.  Just need a break.  That last 1% I mentioned took like 4 hours.  I somehow got cheated out of the epilogue, so that kinda pissed me off.

In other news, I started a new game of Dying Light.  I feel this is the perfect game given the time we are living in.  Also, I forgot just how damn fun it is.  I can’t for the life of me figure out why they haven’t made a sequel.  And this is the part where someone chimes in that they are making a sequel, or something.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13876 on: March 17, 2020, 12:55:37 PM

They are making a sequel: https://dyinglightgame.com/
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13877 on: March 17, 2020, 01:00:43 PM

I knew it would be either you or Falc, lol.

Still, for anyone who has not played the original, it totally holds up.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13878 on: March 17, 2020, 04:29:47 PM

Death Stranding is the game for these times. Amazon hired 100.000 new warehouse and delivery workers today, and we are slowly being forbidden from leaving our houses. Soon enough, only delivery people will be allowed outside. We live in a time where Kojima was right.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13879 on: March 17, 2020, 06:06:55 PM

Death Stranding is the game for these times. Amazon hired 100.000 new warehouse and delivery workers today, and we are slowly being forbidden from leaving our houses. Soon enough, only delivery people will be allowed outside. We live in a time where Kojima was right.
I was just thinking that on the drive home. I was probably near the end or done maybe but who knows with that game, hah. Such an awesome experience. IN A GAME NOT IRL KTHX
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13880 on: March 18, 2020, 07:16:52 AM

Can now add Trails From Zero to my list.  I managed to get a copy and install the english translation.  Fuck me.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13881 on: March 18, 2020, 11:22:56 AM

I heard that Cold Steel 4 is gonna be like Marvel Endgame, as in every single character from the previous 8 games and three arcs is gonna show up in the most epic jrpg finale ever.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #13882 on: March 23, 2020, 03:34:30 AM

Playing through FF XV and its really delightful. Just what i need in these times. A roadtrip with the boys simulator.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13883 on: March 23, 2020, 06:46:01 AM

Playing through FF XV and its really delightful. Just what i need in these times. A roadtrip with the boys simulator.

Iknowrite.  Even though I very recently finished it, I keep getting nostalgic for it.  Something soothing about that game.  I wish they would remake it and fill in all the holes.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13884 on: March 23, 2020, 06:57:46 AM

I picked up Horizon: Zero Dawn for $20. I wanted to play this when it came out but couldn't afford the time back then. I'm actually really impressed how invested in the story I am. Usually I just pass a mild interest in main story lines, but this one has me invested.

Well worth the $20 and staying home watching the third seal being opened.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13885 on: March 23, 2020, 08:38:37 AM

Animal Crossing and Path of Exile.

Animal Crossing is pleasant if a bit annoying in how everything is real life time gated. However, this makes it a pretty relaxed and chill experience. There's no rush to anything, and I'm not going to go hard farming bells or whatever.

PoE league is fun. It's been bitch central on reddit (hard to see shit, one shotty, actually hard, etc), but I'm liking the new mechanic. Also, Hollow Palm Technique is hilariously awesome. Punching shit to death is fantastic. It's also pretty broken for leveling. Your initial DPS will go up by at least 10x the second you allocate the keystone.

-Rasix
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13886 on: March 23, 2020, 11:55:57 AM

Back to Civ 6 while locked down against the virus.  Makes the time go fast.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #13887 on: March 25, 2020, 03:46:44 PM

Finally got around to setting up City of Heroes Homecoming.  My god, I can't believe how much I missed this game....   And the homecoming servers have some VERY nice QoL tweaks and patches in place and are actively developing new stuff to go on the servers (Several Archetypes have had new powersets added, and at least one test server is testing an entirely new Archetype i think).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13888 on: March 25, 2020, 05:03:44 PM

Stellaris expansion.

It's ok? I like some of it a lot.

The things I wish it had is:

a) a way to seduce societies out of a Federation that they blatantly shouldn't be in. Early Federations tend to form between societies that are not really all that cohesive. But they also tend to stick in ways that are frustrating when a Federation is forming that is WAY more compatible to that society.

b) I wish the resolutions more often produced real divergences in galactic society, but maybe that's not actually that realistic. In practice most of them are about societies that are big and can comply with resolutions putting high penalties on weak societies and rebels that can't actually comply. Like I said, realistic. I wouldn't mind the galactic society stuff more sharply differentiating between species that have super-high democratic affinities and those that just go along with democracy because they want to be part of the council--it doesn't feel that way now.

c) The AI seems tweaked in an interesting way. I got into the Endgame with a very very strong Fallen Empire still hanging around as being stronger than my Federation peeps and me and when the Prethoryns appeared, the Fallen Empire was insanely careful about committing its own alpha stack--I couldn't just hang around the edges of the conflict and wait for them to stupidly burn their alpha stack and then me rush into be Savior of the Galaxy! <white teeth gleaming> So that's good. But it also meant that once or twice they let the Prethoryns burn their own very important worlds while waiting for me to be the first to jump in. So, huh, interesting.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13889 on: March 26, 2020, 03:13:18 AM

Since I have nothing better to do after work on weekdays, I dove into the added complexity of the "Battletech Advanced 3062" mod. And I must say it really improves on the base game without the Kitchen Sink approach of Roguetech. With the new Patreon Beta they even included the Full Inner Sphere Maps and Clan Tech and weapons. I'm really having a blast right now.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13890 on: March 26, 2020, 05:00:30 AM

I tried to play the return of the Obra Dinn but it gave me motion sickness.

Kinda at a loss of what to play. Is there anything decent on consoles? Should I buy one?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13891 on: March 26, 2020, 08:28:08 AM

What kind of games are you looking for?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13892 on: March 26, 2020, 01:30:09 PM

Back to Civ 6 while locked down against the virus.  Makes the time go fast.
I gave it another whirl, remembered workers are 3-shot in this one, loaded up Civ V.

Dipping my toes back into RDR2, going to try to push through story missions. I had previously pushed the story to chapter 2 and then just mostly rode around checking stuff out and doing side activities. So far, enjoying it again.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13893 on: March 26, 2020, 03:34:07 PM

Almost bought a Switch today but profiteering is rampant.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13894 on: March 26, 2020, 03:57:56 PM

What kind of games are you looking for?

I'm not a big fan of more real time games (FPS, action-rpgs, car racing, etc) but anything where I use my brain otherwise - adventure, rpg, strategy.
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: