Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172659 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13755 on: January 14, 2020, 06:18:53 AM

Black Flag is far and away my favorite Assassin's Creed game, but it's probably better as a second entry in the series rather than a starting point.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13756 on: January 14, 2020, 07:12:35 AM

I think you could start with Odyssey or Origins--they're both very likeable and minimize the super-dumb present-day framing stuff. Black Flag is great as a follow-up if you liked those. Nothing else--the Victorian London one almost shook me loose from playing the series ever again.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13757 on: January 14, 2020, 09:16:43 AM

I only started up the Ezio games maybe a year ago and they are pretty dated.

I didn't hate Unity or Syndicate, but neither one is as awesome as Black Flag. The thing that will let you love Black Flag is understanding early on that you are not an assassin, you are a pirate.

Origins is more like Black Flag except that they reworked the combat system. Black Flag continued the lock-in style combat where you kinda have to get into place and hit the right buttons, while Origins has hitboxes and lets you windmill your weapons and run around like an asshole without being pulled into some predefined animation. Consequently, horseback hit-and-run is useful in most situations. Tactical retreat (running away) is an option. In Black Flag, fights are more... um, movie-pirate?

Also pirates.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13758 on: January 14, 2020, 09:17:58 AM

AC: Origins has a Final Fantasy XV easter egg as well, if you are into that shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13759 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:57 AM

The first Assassin's Creed is fun in the stealth assassin bits and has an engaging story (again, the assassin bits, none of that future cyberpunk weirdness). Then you get to the final boss and are thrown into a "fight an entire fucking army even though the game has been training you to be a stealth 1v1 assassin all game so HAVE FUN!" and if you make it past that, you are thrown back to the future where the game just... ends. You can go back through previous missions (though why would you?) but the meta story that has been framing the whole thing ever since has no resolution whatsoever. It felt like they just ran out of money to do that part of the story and just left it.

I haven't played an AC game since, in part because of that.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13760 on: January 14, 2020, 11:37:31 AM

The hardcore fans seem very loudly against the direction of the franchise, all the things we seem to dislike seem to be what is 'good' about the old ones. I played the original, tried 2 and 3, didn't click at all. Whereas Origins pulled me in and I'm digging it a lot. My main knock is the side quests can be a bit rote, but I treat them more as vague direction for my random exploring. And some are really fun and quirky.

I'll give 3 another shot, the remastered version was bundled in something I got over xmas. But not until I've played Odyssey. I remember the amount of love Black Flag got when it was released, but I'm hesitant due to the pirate theme. I've learned I find pirates and cowboys boring (I mean, I didn't progress past Valentine in RDR2, and that game is amazing). Burned out on pirates after Risen 2, which was a good game otherwise and I didn't last past an hour or so in Risen 3, which kept the pirate theme. Then they switched to Elex and I played the hell out of that one. So I learned setting matters a lot for me.

I read a rumor the next one is vikings, so I'm pretty happy there.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13761 on: January 15, 2020, 11:39:25 AM

I really enjoyed Odyssey.

Playing more Rimworld again and for the first time in a long time on a Permadeath, Cassandra-hard game, I've got a big, successful group of survivors who are actually wiping out some pirate communities and handling most challenges handily. Things still get hairy--nothing like seeing that the last three prisoners you've rescued are nudist psychopath pyromaniacs, psychically sensitive, prone to depression who will never do manual labor, but you can solve that readily enough by sending them on a suicide mission somewhere as soon as you bring them home.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #13762 on: January 16, 2020, 03:12:55 PM

Slowly working my way into Mythgard. I like the burn a card for mana mechanic far more than the mana based system in Eternal (which is my CCG go-to). The artwork is fun, the factions are interesting and I'm starting to see good synergies.

I burnt out on Destiny 2 and doubt I'll be back, it's too much grind for not much reward and its become stagnant in the last 2 seasons. Warframe is still a better game because at least endgame is fashion frame. I completed my railjack in a week but haven't bothered with its upgrade grind. I'm sure I'm missing something by not doing it but then again, I wasn't a huge fan of grinding the open worlds.

I'm finding Minion Masters fun and dropped some $$ on it after realising its FTP friendly, that always makes me want to reward the devs with cash.

Other than that, I seem to be moving to mobile games on my tablet more and more, AFK Arena, Raid and Smite Blitz because I can sit with the family and quietly play or switch it off and chill when the gacha kicks in.

Nothing in the current wave of PC games really appeals so I should really visit my Steam catalogue of games.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #13763 on: January 17, 2020, 01:50:39 PM

I think you could start with Odyssey or Origins--they're both very likeable and minimize the super-dumb present-day framing stuff. Black Flag is great as a follow-up if you liked those. Nothing else--the Victorian London one almost shook me loose from playing the series ever again.

They both went on sale this weekend for 16 bucks so I went with Origins.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13764 on: January 19, 2020, 01:10:45 PM

I bought Origins for $7.48 using the $10 Boxing Day coupon at the Epic Store.

I'd just put 100+ hours into Ghost Recon Wildlands which I've unexpectedly found to be a great game. The weirdest experience was logging into Origins and thinking "this feels so familiar; where's my gun?" and realising the two games use exactly the same engine. I now can't look at Origins without realising I'm in ancient Wildlands.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13765 on: January 19, 2020, 09:11:31 PM

Every "open world" Ubisoft game is using the same engine, with varying degrees of fuckery involved in the execution of said engine. If you play Division 2, you've played the less buggy version of that Ghost Recon live service game whose name I forget that just recently released.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13766 on: January 19, 2020, 09:53:34 PM

It's not just the same engine -- they are all open world "RPG-lites" with massive amounts of side quests where they didn't used to be.

Supposedly Ubisoft is changing that going forward but we'll see:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-wants-to-make-its-games-more-unique-restru/1100-6472867/
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13767 on: January 20, 2020, 03:13:06 AM

Every "open world" Ubisoft game is using the same engine, with varying degrees of fuckery involved in the execution of said engine. If you play Division 2, you've played the less buggy version of that Ghost Recon live service game whose name I forget that just recently released.

Breakpoint? For some reason Division 2 won't finish loading on my aging machine. I've given up on Division 2 for the moment and won't buy Breakpoint until the reviews settle down.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13768 on: January 20, 2020, 09:45:17 AM

Division 2 was pretty, kind of fun but ultimately just boring. I burned out by about level 20, realizing that the literal avalanche of loot they throw at you is just color-coded iterations of "+1 gud."

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13769 on: January 20, 2020, 01:54:32 PM

That puts Wildlands on my wishlist, heh.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13770 on: January 22, 2020, 02:37:07 AM

I bought ac:origins after the chatter here. I don't know why, I hate it...

Playing some invisible inc. again.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #13771 on: January 22, 2020, 06:46:12 AM

I bought ac:origins after the chatter here. I don't know why, I hate it...

Playing some invisible inc. again.

It's pretty Generic but was only 15 bucks.  I won't be buying anything else though, as I'm pretty bored with the repetitive game play.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13772 on: January 22, 2020, 10:44:37 AM

Breath of the Wild.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #13773 on: January 22, 2020, 12:05:49 PM

PC:
-Contemplating playing through Witcher 2 end to end so I can play Witcher 3 which I've never touched finally.

-FFXIV, I'm L55 SCH/SMN, the game is really suffering from locking all the fun classes away besides RDM but then I find out RDM doesn't have Haste/Slow and I was super bummed out. That and some of the quests are just maddeningly dumb from an in-world and gameplay perspective. I'm L55 no I don't want to play hide and seek with 3 kids, the fuck kind of fetch quest is this!?Huh! I'm still hopeful our 3-man playgroup will make it to L80 but the outlook is seeming less likely. They keep teasing me that the MSQ hub is going to move to where there is an actual warp point but then I keep getting sent back to the retarded no warp point because of story reasons zone... ffs.
That said I'm at 28 cards collected in Triad so pretty soon I get to play with non-scrub cards!

-Keyforge @ www.thecrucible.online/  & very rarely I play some Netrunner on Jinteki, those are giving me my card game scratch, along with Triple Triad in FFXIV

-MHW, Warframe, PoE, Darkest Dungeon. At least one of these will make it back into rotation soon.

Tablet:
Brown Dust

Phone:
Pokemon Go, shockingly, I'm back to much more casually enjoying this after 2 years+ away. Though I have to say, they didn't make combat /much/ better and the raids are fucking dumb and bad and really poorly thought out jfc.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13774 on: January 22, 2020, 03:13:24 PM

Yeah, I do Pokemon Go now too despite yes, finding some of it still annoying. But they do a good job of keeping special events/holidays/themes mixing up spawns, the field research and other quests are pretty motivating, etc. It's just a nice thing to do on the long walks I'm trying to take in the early morning. Still could be better but it's much better than the woeful first 4 months after it launched.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13775 on: January 22, 2020, 11:05:40 PM

PC:
-Contemplating playing through Witcher 2 end to end so I can play Witcher 3 which I've never touched finally.

I have been having this exact same contemplation.  I mean, I own and have touched both of them, but never made it significantly through either of them.  But they should be games I would like.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13776 on: January 23, 2020, 12:36:42 AM

Took a hiatus from Stellaris while waiting for the new expansion, Instead I finally took the plunge and started Battletech after I bought the latest expansion with Assault Mech goodness. So much theorycrafting to do, loving it.

Slay the Spire on the side, having fun with the new fourth class they just delivered.

Waiting for a new RPG to tickle my fancy. Operencia the Stolen Sun didn't do it after finally finishing the heavy hitter that was Divinity 2. Children of Morta is nice for a round now and then, but not particularily deep. Maybe the new Vampire will be my new Deep Dive RPG.

Also, for my action fix, I've installed Prey. Loving the start, but got distracted by aforementioned Battletech.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13777 on: January 23, 2020, 05:55:19 AM

I haven't played an RPG in years. It's been a long time.

In the last 3-4 years I've been stuck in a rut of playing decent to mediocre ARPGs.

Right now I'm tempted to start playing Dota Underlords again. POE is, as usually, losing it's luster though I've lasted longer than usual.

My PC is old and decrepit. I can't play any of the new stuff well.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13778 on: January 23, 2020, 05:59:02 AM

I think I have 1 or 2 copies of The Witcher, and at least 1 copy of Witcher 2, but I have huge doubts about finishing either. Especially in this case, I feel like I can jump into 3 since I watched the show.

Breath of the Wild is re-impressing me with its execution.

Re: Stellaris, I kinda got stuck on a puzzle around energy generation and decided I should watch a YT or two on game basics... but so far I haven't and it sits unplayed despite being one of my favorite game settings and play mechanics.

On the other hand, I'm jerking around in Oxygen Not included and duplicants are not dying as rapidly as I thought. Should be titled Water Not Included, though.

Working on the 2nd-to-last board in Squarecells.

Otherwise casualling my way through FFXIV with the wife. She recently picked up Samurai and has simply abandoned her other jobs. Still plugging away at MSQ. I'm flipping back and forth between White and Black Mage. Bought a black bikini that I never wear. Wife completed her Gambler outfit and should have the barding to match this weekend.

Waiting for Mechanicus to come to PS4. Even in death, I serve the Omnissiah.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13779 on: January 29, 2020, 07:25:49 AM

A bit of UFC3. Picked it up on the xmas sale cheap because I like to have a few options for shorter gaming sessions, stuff to goof around with. Knew I'd never be very good at it...and I'm not. Striking is fun, but the clinch and ground game kill me. It's kind of funny, playing as Bruce Lee I can kick the tar out of most opponents at my level but a grappler will just kerpwn me. 10-3 with 9 KOs (mostly head kicks leading to a sad ground-n-pound), the 1 decision was a guy with an iron chin that I just couldn't put down; the 3 losses: grapplers.

Killed my career because my first nemesis dude was a grappler. So I lost to him in the minors once, then again in the big setup fight. Then beat him in the UFC rematch (barely) which means I can sign up for fights where I'm outmatched and the money sucks.

Bruce should go into movies!

Oh, and a bit of Golf Club 2 again. I should probably get the new version. I find it relaxing af.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:29:09 AM by Sky »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13780 on: January 29, 2020, 10:34:02 AM

Glad to see nothing's changed from the first modernish (PS3-era) UFC game. why so serious? The striking was always fun, the grappling a disaster of "rotate the analog stick quickly until you tap out and throw the controller."

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13781 on: January 29, 2020, 11:17:29 AM

I got a hint popup that I can change to a simple submission defense using just the X button, but I figured I'd try to play it as intended. I'll just be switching it to the X button.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13782 on: January 29, 2020, 02:55:24 PM

Back to playing some XCOM again. It's still fun even after a few hundred hours.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13783 on: January 30, 2020, 09:23:08 PM

Yeah, it's one of those games I can always come back to.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13784 on: January 30, 2020, 11:52:56 PM

Getting towards the end of FF15.  It takes quite a strange couple of turns at the end, it seems.  I continue to be surprised at how much I actually like the game on the whole.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13785 on: January 31, 2020, 06:36:03 AM

I'm playing Mount and Blade with the Perisno 0.9 mod, as I prepare for M&B2 Bannerlord to release this year.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13786 on: February 03, 2020, 04:33:46 AM

Finished FFXV.  On balance, I like it quite a lot, and the ending was well done.  I feel like it missed a lot of opportunities....like a lot of systems were built in but left un-realized or otherwise not taken to their full potential.  All in all, a much better experience than what I expected it to be.

Been bouncing around with what to dig into next (aside from Persona 5 which is still my go-to game on a Friday or Saturday evening).  I got my hands on the FF8 re-master and ohohoho what a fucking mess.  Has to be the worst re-master I have ever seen, I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking.  The only graphical improvements are on the player characters, and all it does is to make the original backgrounds look even shittier.  And in case you don't remember, FF8 already had the shittiest backgrounds, both the set pieces and the rendered.  The only possible bright side is the "boost" that lets you play at 3 times the speed.....but it is so fast as to be retarded and uncontrollable.  An unmitigated disaster.  I assume the original game with and HD and cheat mods is the superior choice, this version is to be avoided at all costs.

But it matters not, because I decided to dig into Cold Steel 2 instead.  I needed a break from the last one, but am ready to dive back in.  And five seconds after starting the game, I a thinking AND THIS IS HOW YOU UPDATE A GAME FOR THE 21ST CENTURY.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13787 on: February 03, 2020, 06:53:55 AM

I found a thing about using ASIO drivers with Rocksmith, so I gave that a shot and it's /AWESOME/, so I got in a bunch of RS over the weekend. Basically, reduce latency to negligible and open up the possibility of running your effects from your DAW by using an interface. Mine is an ancient Focusrite Scarlett 1st gen 18i8 and it works like a charm. Only downside is I only have headphone monitors, so I need to figure out a way to route output to my receiver or it's going to cost me a shitload of money in speakers+amp  ACK!

On contemplating upgrading to the newer Golf Club game...I did and I'm happy about it. LOTS of QoL upgrades to the game. It's still wonky and far from perfect, but I like what they were able to accomplish in the 1st dev cycle under the new license deal with the PGA. Feels like the franchise is moving in a very positive direction.

Still hanging out in Egypt, ye gods Origins is a long game (I think I'm approaching 80 hours). I'm still enjoying it, but the scenery isn't quite as fresh. I'll likely put off Odyssey for a while to avoid burnout of ancient Mediterranean architecture...
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13788 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:32 AM

Finally picked up Outward, and it has some moments of fun, but mostly it's just tedious. And janky, but not fun Gothic/Drakensang jank. Gave it 10 hours, and I think I'm done with it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13789 on: February 03, 2020, 07:59:38 AM

Finished FFXV.  On balance, I like it quite a lot, and the ending was well done.  I feel like it missed a lot of opportunities....like a lot of systems were built in but left un-realized or otherwise not taken to their full potential.  All in all, a much better experience than what I expected it to be.

I agree completely with this assessment and unfortunately I'm holding this against Squenix. I played most of the original FF games since the first and I was very disappointed with what I also felt was an incomplete game. There were so many great chunks floating in an unfinished medium; it just didn't congeal into a proper FF. THEN I tried to play one of the DLCs and simply quit. It was a fine ride in many ways but compared to previous FF games, I found it lacking.

Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: