Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172752 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13545 on: September 06, 2019, 11:36:16 PM

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is out/live now.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13546 on: September 07, 2019, 03:08:25 PM

And?

Still have not made real progress in the base game.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13547 on: September 07, 2019, 09:32:33 PM

Yeah if you never got into the base game the expansion ain't going to change that.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13548 on: September 12, 2019, 08:47:18 AM

Got Blasphemous for the Switch while I'm out of town on work. This shit is hard, and I am not good at it. I am also playing it compulsively for hours at a time.

It's good. It's difficult. It's really weird. The controls could be tighter, but I'm chalking some of that up to playing it on attached joycons.

Not sure I want to get Borderlands 3 tomorrow, which means I probably shouldn't. I didn't really love Borderland 2's base game. Something about the classes, time to kill, and overall disinterest with the plot and writing. Borderlands 1 enjoyed much more.  undecided Plus, there's still a PoE league to dive back into.

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #13549 on: September 12, 2019, 11:35:15 AM

Borderlands 3 releases in April 2020.  Anyone telling you otherwise is a filthy liar.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13550 on: September 12, 2019, 11:53:36 AM

Fuck Randy Pitchford and 2K.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13551 on: September 12, 2019, 11:57:45 AM

Fuck Randy Pitchford and 2K.

and epic
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13552 on: September 12, 2019, 11:58:39 AM

Borderlands 2 was one of those rare odd games where I was trying to figure out why I didn't like it, since it plays pretty well and had some amazing features (I even had an f13er dropin, and I LOVE steam friend integration). Still no idea, other than I like shooters in general less than I did 10 years ago.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13553 on: September 12, 2019, 12:17:43 PM

everything was a bullet sponge and there was way too much walking and vehicle nonsense (which matters when the game is supposed to be HAVE FUN WITH GUNS)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #13554 on: September 12, 2019, 02:22:49 PM

The last four posts are so good.

I wanted to support Double Damage on Rebel Galaxy 2 but I’m not buying it on Epic and frankly I think any pub exclusives should fuck off and not get any of my money, even when they release on Steam a year later. The entire idea is anti-customer.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13555 on: September 12, 2019, 02:50:26 PM

I wanted to support Double Damage on Rebel Galaxy 2 but I’m not buying it on Epic and frankly I think any pub exclusives should fuck off and not get any of my money, even when they release on Steam a year later. The entire idea is anti-customer.
So are games that only run on Steam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
schild
Administrator

Reply #13556 on: September 12, 2019, 02:56:27 PM

So are games that only run on Steam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Had Valve EVER bought an exclusive? This seems like a complaint for individual developers. The platform doing it is a far different situation. I'm not sure Valve has done it even once since day 1.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13557 on: September 12, 2019, 03:11:14 PM

Don't think so? But they wouldn't need to since they were a monopoly.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13558 on: September 12, 2019, 05:27:57 PM

I'm not sure it's fair to call them a monopoly. They were the first game in town and ahead of their competitors by actual *years*.

That no one ever took the method seriously and the best we got afterwards was GOG really speaks to the gaming industry, not Valve's incredible iron grip.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13559 on: September 13, 2019, 05:40:47 PM

Greedfall on PS4. It's rough. Definitely a Focus Home published game. If you can deal with Gothic and Elex style games, then go for it.

Example: I find the NPC on the next part of the quest and begin dialogue with him. Just as the dialogue scene starts, a random filler NPC gets stuck between us so the entire conversation consists of her face taking up the entire screen, then cuts to the back of her head, back to her face, etc.

So far I'm not convinced it's fun though. Conversations are very verbose. The skill tree looks fairly limited. I'm going to give it some more time as I can though. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #13560 on: September 13, 2019, 05:46:51 PM

yeah i'm not playing that
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13561 on: September 14, 2019, 09:12:30 AM

Well that one is in no danger of clogging up my backlog...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13562 on: September 14, 2019, 10:00:03 AM

Speaking of "Focus Home" games, Call of Cthulhu is 50% off for a few days. I am playing that.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #13563 on: September 14, 2019, 04:42:53 PM

Is it worth getting? Reviews on Steam are mixed

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13564 on: September 14, 2019, 06:11:55 PM

Just started. I'll report back. What I know is that for certain games Steam reviews are absolutely useless. But my opinions tend to be useless too as I often judge games based on their atmosphere alone. Anyway, I'll let you know. For now, since we are on the Cthulhu topic, Epic Store is giving Conarium away for free. Conarium is a Cthulhu based walking simulator. It takes place in 1940s and it's pretty much a sequel to At the Mountains of Madness (not the game, the actual book). I haven't finished it and I am expecting for everything to fall apart soon, but so far I am liking it a lot. And it's free.

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #13565 on: September 14, 2019, 11:43:32 PM

Is it worth getting? Reviews on Steam are mixed
Call of Cthulhu has great atmosphere and is a lot of fun to play by yourself in the dark. There are multiple ways of solving most puzzles and the end result of the game is effected by the path you take. There is a huge difficulty spike in the middle of the game, which is most likely where most of the negative reviews come from. In the first four or five hours of playing I think I died twice, both times due to mistakes that were obvious in hindsight. Then I died forty times in a row at the same place before giving up and googling what to do. Then I died ten more times trying to do it. Then it went back to being a story game about making decisions again. The difficulty spike in the middle was very frustrating though, especially because it was not expected.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13566 on: September 16, 2019, 09:07:58 AM

Calling Greedfall a Gothic-level jank is an undeserved compliment.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13567 on: September 16, 2019, 11:40:36 AM

If you can deal with the jank of Elex and Gothic, you can deal with the technical nature of Greedfall. I am not convinced the atmosphere, world, story and game systems are good or fun. Yet. Tonight I should break out into the world proper. I hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13568 on: September 16, 2019, 12:30:13 PM

I'm going through some serious gaming ADD, knowing that I'm likely a month away from absolute drowning myself in Football Manager 2020 - seriously, I spent over 400 hours in 2018 after skipping the 2019 version. It just absolutely consumed me and I expect 2020 will do the same. Meanwhile, I have flitted through so many games recently.

Dishonored - something about this game just isn't clicking with me. Maybe it's that I'm expecting it to be something it isn't - I'd prefer a more Thief like game, but it isn't. While I CAN try to not kill anyone, I'm not patient enough to do that, especially in a game where I am literally called an assassin. It feels like the missions almost can't be failed. I've stumblefucked my way through missions with just brute force like I'm the goddamn terminator and I don't really seem to be punished that much for failing to be stealthy. At other times, it's just odd how the stealth/discovery thing works or doesn't work. And I think the fact that the "revolutionaries" I'm working for don't seem all that different or better than the people I'm revolting against make me less engaged with the story. It's just odd - this seems like a game I should love but I find myself unable to care about finishing it, or even playing it again.

Wargame: Red Dragon - at times incredibly frustrating just like the last two games in the series, but at time also really fun. I'm experiencing it the same way I did the previous two. I get real invested for about a week then I fail a mission and I bounce off of it hard.

Both Slay the Spire and DOTA Underlords are fun that I can play in discrete chunks and I dig them both. Underlords is weird though in that I often have no clue why I'm getting ROFLSTOMPED.

Railway Empire is a fun little railroad business history light simulator. I flit in and out of this game as well. I like it but it feels like it's just micromanage-y to get unfun without enough micro-manage-y to make playtime feel very active.

So what did I install next? Pillars of Eternity. I swear I'm just going all over the map here. So far, I kind of dig it, it reminds me of Baldur's Gate with modern quality of life improvements. I can't say I don't giggle at some of the silly names they have for people and places. Some of it feels very "comic book guy homebrew D&D campaign."

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13569 on: September 17, 2019, 06:43:36 AM

You get stomped in Underlords because the other team has a good items or better alliances.

If you want to win consistently go straight for warriors or knights then back them up with hunters or mages until you get to late game then just get aces. Or if you can't get warriors or knights then build scrappies or anything else and transition to mages.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13570 on: September 17, 2019, 07:57:17 AM

If you can deal with the jank of Elex and Gothic, you can deal with the technical nature of Greedfall. I am not convinced the atmosphere, world, story and game systems are good or fun. Yet. Tonight I should break out into the world proper. I hope.
I'm reserving judgement until I can make it to the open world portions.

My experience is colored by the fact that I started playing Witcher 3 again a few days before Greedfall dropped. Also, I tend to console command a few things in Gothic/Risen/Elex to smooth out the experience a bit...not an option here since I opted for the convenience of the PS4 version.

I'm going through some serious gaming ADD, knowing that I'm likely a month away from absolute drowning myself in Football Manager 2020 - seriously, I spent over 400 hours in 2018 after skipping the 2019 version. It just absolutely consumed me and I expect 2020 will do the same. Meanwhile, I have flitted through so many games recently.

Dishonored - something about this game just isn't clicking with me. Maybe it's that I'm expecting it to be something it isn't - I'd prefer a more Thief like game, but it isn't. While I CAN try to not kill anyone, I'm not patient enough to do that, especially in a game where I am literally called an assassin. It feels like the missions almost can't be failed. I've stumblefucked my way through missions with just brute force like I'm the goddamn terminator and I don't really seem to be punished that much for failing to be stealthy. At other times, it's just odd how the stealth/discovery thing works or doesn't work. And I think the fact that the "revolutionaries" I'm working for don't seem all that different or better than the people I'm revolting against make me less engaged with the story. It's just odd - this seems like a game I should love but I find myself unable to care about finishing it, or even playing it again.

I'm glad the PS4 doesn't track my Madden hours! It was bad enough when I was just playing, now that I'm manually running the whole show it's way better...but it does take time.

I hear you on Dishonored, there's something I just really disliked about it. I've tried three separate times to get into it.

And the whole game trope of being the revolutionary and bringing down 'the man'...I almost never identify with the shitty revolutionaries who usually have terrible and illogical ideas of how they'd run things better, so...I hate that trope so much (though to be fair, it does echo reality...I just don't get to choose the authoritatian side almost ever because game developers are terrible people :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:02:18 AM by Sky »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13571 on: September 17, 2019, 11:19:42 AM

It was even weirder in Dishonored because you are essentially just pissed off because the current government assassinated your previous Empress and abducted her daughter, but it sure seems like the nobles who are hiring you are no better. One of them has you assassinate his brothers and drop another nobleman in a duel, ostensibly so their power becomes his power. I had no sympathy for either cause, nor reason to hate the current government other than they framed me for the Empress's death.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13572 on: September 17, 2019, 12:22:51 PM

Sounds like a great budget pick up for me. I rather enjoyed Risen and Elex. Spiders does seem to have a slightly different style of jank, but I'd most likely enjoy it for what it is.

You guys have really weird takes on Dishonored.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:25:52 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13573 on: September 17, 2019, 01:01:14 PM

Like I said, I wanted to like it, by all accounts I should like it. It just doesn't click with me and I'm still not sure why. Like from the very minute the Empress gets assassinated, I'm thinking "Why do I care who gets to rule?" I think the fact that the missions seemed to be faceroll-able made the flaws in the story more prominent to me.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13574 on: September 17, 2019, 05:34:18 PM

I'm reserving judgement until I can make it to the open world portions.

Greedfall does seem more fun once the game opens up. I got into the first few world zones last night and it felt more fun and interesting exploring.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13575 on: September 17, 2019, 05:44:24 PM

Ok, pray for me, I'm trying Greedfall.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13576 on: September 18, 2019, 05:18:55 AM

I didn't make it very far in the game, and I also didn't make it very far in the last Thief game, either. I'm chalking it up to being over first person stealth, I guess.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13577 on: September 18, 2019, 06:30:56 AM

It is pretty weird to not dislike a group that framed you for murder and you lost your job, too.

Borderlands 3. So far, it is almost all good things.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13578 on: September 18, 2019, 07:20:46 AM

Borderlands 3. So far, it is almost all good things.

I almost snagged the deluxe thing version out of sheer impulse last night, but noticed the price went up another $20 to $120. I have to admire the company for raising the price on the game post-launch. That seems new and really dumb.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13579 on: September 18, 2019, 09:08:55 AM

It is pretty weird to not dislike a group that framed you for murder and you lost your job, too.

It wasn't that I didn't dislike them, it's that I didn't really feel like I had any sort of good basis in the world for thinking my former employer and her adherents were any better than this set of dicks. Like everywhere I looked, it was dicks all the way down and I was going to get fucked no matter who was in charge. It may have become clearer had I gone further in the game but the gameplay just wasn't giving me much investment in the world either.

Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: