Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172723 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #13615 on: October 02, 2019, 04:41:26 PM

The Countess dragged me back in to Ark Survival along with the Stepson and Grandson. We rolled new avatars and spun up and clustered new instances of the latest free server "Valguero" and the older "Extinction" on my desktop since the friend who took over our server cluster was off doing summery things in RL.  Like most survival games, it's a lot of fun starting out with nothing and having to scrabble for everything, but once you get a base established it becomes a somewhat tedious process of churning things out and levelling up for incremental improvements.  We upped the max dino level from 30 to 80 and that was more fun, for a week at least.  The devs have adopted and published one of our favorite Mods (Castles, Keeps and somethingorothers) as an official extension to the game, hired the developer and all, and the result is a vastly better (but still janky) building experience.  So for the first time I've actually enjoyed building stuff.  The whole experience still desperately needs, and will NEVER get, deformable terrain and working water, but it has been fun building stuff and the Valguero world is quite pretty. I'd offer up some screenshots but I have yet to figure out how to take them in the game. Some forum posts seem to indicate I should use Steam overlay to do so which is absolutely not going to happen. What idiot devs make a 3D game with no/very well hidden screenshot function in this century anyway? I really despise this developer. Waaaaay too much focus on pretty stuff and PvP and zero investment in engineering/fundamentals.  I'm still resolved to never give them another penny until they fix some of the worst physics/engine bugs, which they are completely unable to do because they won't hire competent software engineers. Meanwhile I'm most of the way through building a Roman/medieval blend-looking base with walls and towers and keeps, and with T-Rexes and Raptors in the yard and Snow Owls and Quetzals on the roofs and I'm starting to get bored again so don't know how much longer I'll last.

I'm really starting to itch for the wide open spaces of Elite Dangerous (heh) again, but haven't quite overcome the inertia to jump back into it.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13616 on: October 02, 2019, 10:05:24 PM

Just remember for those dungeons, you can only go back to the save points you've saved at - so you could be doing entire floors over if you leave without a save.

Thankfully haven't made that mistake.  I think I have the gist of it figure out at this point.  But man, this game throws a lot of different systems at you, and as yet I don't understand half of them.  I expect I will figure them out if and/or when I need to.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13617 on: October 03, 2019, 06:44:08 AM

I finished it in 120 hours. It can be finished much faster than that, but I loved every moment and tried to do as much as I could. It is a big, big JRPG.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13618 on: October 03, 2019, 07:09:17 AM

Just remember for those dungeons, you can only go back to the save points you've saved at - so you could be doing entire floors over if you leave without a save.

Thankfully haven't made that mistake.  I think I have the gist of it figure out at this point.  But man, this game throws a lot of different systems at you, and as yet I don't understand half of them.  I expect I will figure them out if and/or when I need to.

If you haven't finished the first palace yet, you may have seen about half the systems in the game. It is incredibly deep without being dense.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13619 on: October 04, 2019, 07:36:23 AM

Pulled off a miracle win in Mordheim.

Died a lot in Borderlands 3.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13620 on: October 17, 2019, 08:17:53 AM

Currently dabbling again with Archeage through the "Unchained" version, although, for now, it's more like "ArcheAge - The Queue" game  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13621 on: October 17, 2019, 09:00:24 AM

Last of Us Remastered is free on PS4 if you sub to PS+. I lasted about 2 days of playing... probably not even out of the tutorial, but this is not my type of game at all. Too much on-the-rails movie story with sporadic gameplay in between.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13622 on: October 17, 2019, 09:11:17 AM

That is a good characterization of that game, but if you like the story stuff, it is worth it.  I think I probably cried.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13623 on: October 17, 2019, 09:53:57 AM

Yeah I need to restart that one on an easier difficulty level this winter when I have more gaming time. I liked it, but the janky gameplay was distracting from the movie so I didn't finish...
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13624 on: October 17, 2019, 11:05:14 AM

Anyone play Imperator Rome? It's on sale and apparently there was a patch that made it better.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13625 on: October 21, 2019, 10:59:47 AM

Started over with Persona 3.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13626 on: October 21, 2019, 11:04:04 AM

Started over with Persona 3.

disco elysium
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13627 on: October 21, 2019, 11:08:25 AM

I was just reading about that.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13628 on: October 21, 2019, 11:16:22 AM

stop reading about it and play it goddamn
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13629 on: October 22, 2019, 04:17:50 PM

GreedFall gets better eventually.

But not beyond "kind of fun". They just didn't quite have the money or skill to do this at the level it requires. I also kind of see why people were annoyed with the framing of it--it's very clearly set up around Native Americans and Europeans in early modern North America and sometimes it's clever and even subtle about what it thinks about that and sometimes it is not at all clever or subtle. But ok, I'll keep on going, it's got me interested enough.

Edit: ok, it has has some really basic structural problems that are also a result of having too small and inexperienced a development team. Like, late in the game, they really have not done anything to acknowledge the quest outcomes/dialogue choices--if you choose, for example, to basically side with the indigenous faction that wants to kick the continentals off the island, you still are talking to the heads of the continental factions as if that didn't happen. I also get really frustrated when an RPG character is forced to act like an idiot about plot developments that are screamingly obvious in their plain meaning just so they can keep a quest line going. Also just tons and tons of tedium in terms of having to go back and forth, back and forth repetitively across certain maps.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:54:55 AM by Khaldun »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13630 on: October 31, 2019, 06:28:54 AM

Yeah I 1000% can't play Greedfall now. Shitty rpgs are ruined.

Since I'm playing DE from gog's launcher, I decided to install Alpha Centauri for old time's sake. 3 hours later....I forgot what '1 more turn' meant, I guess. It's been a while. Game still holds up, though the interface is clunky as with most old games).
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13631 on: October 31, 2019, 09:31:42 AM

Gods help me again, but I've been sucked back into vanilla Minecraft by coworkers.

"Stack one more block" is just as bad "just one more turn" for keeping you up *far* past bedtime...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:25:45 AM by Mandella »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13632 on: October 31, 2019, 09:38:35 AM

Outer Worlds and PoE. I tend to pick one for the night and go with it. It's kind of jarring to go between Diablo style ARPG and Fallout 3(++) style RPG. Plus once I start playing PoE, my left hand automatically hits 12345 every 5 seconds during combat (especially playing a build with 4 DPS flasks).  awesome, for real

Waiting patiently on the review embargo for Death Stranding to be lifted Only if it's complete garbage, will I not be getting it. Kojima weird is the best weird.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:40:54 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13633 on: November 01, 2019, 11:27:29 AM

I'm playing Underlords. They just pushed out a giant update.

POE will take a back seat for a while. The end game and the state of builds is just pretty meh. It's now just whatever skill/ascendancy they have buffed is the meta and then they nerf it after 3 months.

I really hate the whole mapping system. I dislike having to either trade/hunt for a specific maps just to continue to the end game.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #13634 on: November 04, 2019, 05:15:44 PM

Anyone play Imperator Rome? It's on sale and apparently there was a patch that made it better.

No but its also on microsofts xbox gamepass so if you want to drop $1 you can play it for a month.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13635 on: November 05, 2019, 06:42:16 AM

I've been jumping around between a few games lately, largely thanks to DE on the gog launcher reminding me I had them. Back on Steam, I jumped back into Project Zomboid with a throw-away to re-acquaint myself. When he inevitably died, I noticed the main menu still said 'Continue', so I did. And it seems my new character spawned on the same map...like an odd persistence thing. Very KDM, I like it. Going to get harsh when I get a new character spawned into a scavenged world without power, but hopefully being able to keep a persistent base on the map will offset. At any rate, I found it interesting.

I forgot how to combat, so I got bit right off the bat (zeds seem more numerous on day 1 than they were before). Remembered how to heal up the wound, but apparently a bite is always fatal.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13636 on: November 05, 2019, 07:00:17 AM

Finally starting Persona 5; only an hour or so in, so I'm still in tutorial hell.

On the Switch I'm playing Mary Skelter: Nightmares. It's a dungeon crawl RPG (Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey) with fairy tale characters, but dark, weird and Japanese. Aside from the story, the game is quite good and challenging. Each character has 5 classes (+2 more from DLC) to change into, and you can use active skills from any class that you've unlocked so character customization is pretty deep. It's also available on PC and Vita, and there's a sequel as well.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13637 on: November 05, 2019, 07:55:07 AM

Idea Factory. The have the incredible ability to make something look cool, sound cool, and still being utter shit. No clue how they do it, they are almost infallible. I fell for their trick, their screenshots and their very positive reviews more times than I can count.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13638 on: November 05, 2019, 08:17:36 AM

yeah idea factory sucks balls, consistently
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13639 on: November 05, 2019, 01:46:52 PM

Started a RimWorld session with a lot more mods. Everything was going so well, until a single raider managed to kill five people without them hitting the raider once. But as always with RimWorld, a session like that makes me want to try again.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #13640 on: November 06, 2019, 05:30:37 PM

So, I've come to the, to me at least, surprising conclusion that the developers of Ark Survival (Studio Wildcard or something like that?) are incompetent imbeciles that actually make Bethesda look like expert professional software developers.  This was an extremely difficult achievement, and I'm somewhat concerned that those folks may actually be allowed to operate complicated and potentially dangerous devices like microwaves and toasters, to say nothing of automobiles and the like.  Hopefully they are in some third world country downwind of me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13641 on: November 07, 2019, 07:06:37 AM

Ark is a game that I should by all rights have several hundred hours into. I can't bring myself to buy it, it just looks like a hot mess every time I watch a video.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13642 on: November 07, 2019, 07:40:30 AM

It was a hot mess when I was playing it. Recommend avoidance.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13643 on: November 07, 2019, 08:02:44 AM

It's just like Conan Exiles except with more aggro mobs and (when I played it) less helpful UI features. Also dinosaurs instead of dicks and titties.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13644 on: November 07, 2019, 08:31:16 AM

Ark lost any chance that I would buy it when the devs released a paid expansion before the fucking thing ever got out of Early Access. They can get fucked.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #13645 on: November 07, 2019, 10:12:25 AM

I've owned Conan Exiles for a long time but never actually got around to playing it.  Was the f13 server abandoned because everyone just had enough and moved on, or was it, like, actively bad?

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13646 on: November 07, 2019, 10:48:26 AM

Moved on. It was fun, just that after a while, you kind of run out of things to do besides build even more. Didn't quite have that sense of the unexpected that a Minecraft environment can have that keeps things fresh in between the building.

Speaking of building, Planet Zoo is out. I might get it--I used to like building big zoos with Zoo Tycoon and then letting all the animals out once the guests arrived.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13647 on: November 07, 2019, 11:14:06 AM

I have played Conan Exiles single-player and it is the best Minecraft. Ark is inferior in every way.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13648 on: November 07, 2019, 05:08:35 PM

Yeah, Ark just kind of sucks, no matter how you play it.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #13649 on: November 07, 2019, 05:32:31 PM

well, I'm playing it because The Countess and Stepson and Grandson and a family friend are all playing it. And my desktop is the server.  And yeah, it still kinda sucks in some ways, but in others ways there are bits and pieces of a good game and interesting ideas. Too bad those are just chunks in the vomit of idiot artists who think they can write code.

Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: