Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172660 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13405 on: July 30, 2019, 11:06:21 PM

Haha, finished Skyrim?  I have probably talked more about this game over at least the last three years than everyone else combined, and I have never come remotely close to completing it.  Is that something anyone ever does?  I am not even entirely sure what the game is about.  Something something Dragonborn.

I play it in VR, obviously, which is insanely good.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13406 on: July 31, 2019, 06:30:28 AM

With any Bethesda game, I run through the main quest the first time and finish the game. Then I start again, usually with whatever mods are out, avoiding the main stuff and noodling about for a few hundred hours. Then do the same for DLC.

Skyrim's main quest and Civil War stuff aren't terrible, they just don't feel fulfilling. And the vampire dlc is terrible.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13407 on: July 31, 2019, 06:52:02 AM

I'm with rattran; after my first Skyrim playthrough, I just go far enough through the main story to unlock Fus Ro Dah then go do whatever else. I've only actually done the Civil War stuff once, and that was pretty disappointing; I did enjoy the main story the first time, and all of the guild quests are pretty good. The vampire DLC was pretty shit, but Dragonborn was good.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13408 on: July 31, 2019, 11:13:15 AM

I think I enjoyed the Thieves Guild stuff the most in Skyrim. The stories felt the most in-tune with the game environment.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #13409 on: July 31, 2019, 11:50:56 AM

I gather that I am going to get seriously sucked in by the house-building-and-decorating game.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13410 on: July 31, 2019, 02:08:28 PM

I found the Hearthfire stuff to be pretty annoying, actually, and I generally like player housing in games. It felt too tacked on, with too many subcomponents (wood planks, nails) that didn't really match the rest of the game's crafting.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13411 on: August 01, 2019, 07:33:54 AM

Player housing in single player games always seemed odd to me.

But I'm the veteran dumpster base king from minecraft, I never met a rectangle I didn't like. Oddly, irl I hate rectangle houses and love weird architecture.

I was just building a small initial horde base in 7 Days, started to think about making it interesting and then 'lol let's just make it a solid block of concrete!'  Ohhhhh, I see.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13412 on: August 02, 2019, 02:51:56 AM

I own a guitar for some reason and have once or twice tried to get into Rocksmith to see if I could actually learn how to play it well enough to actually retain any of it.  I sorta still have that ambition, but I have also always known that I would probably naturally rather be a bass player.  Maybe I was one in a former life or something.  Also a ninja.  Bass playing ninja, more than likely.  So, I bought a cheap ass electric bass guitar and now we'll see if I can stick with it long enough to actually learn it a bit.

Sky, have you tried Rocksmith with a bass guitar?  Any comments, tips, advice? 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:58:48 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13413 on: August 02, 2019, 06:42:10 AM

I own a guitar for some reason

There is a banjo in my house.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13414 on: August 02, 2019, 09:10:43 AM

I have both a banjo and guitar in my house. Well, guitars. And a couple basses. And I'm not a gear guy. Stuff happens. I mostly play my Gibson SG bass and my classical guitar, though.

I mostly play bass in Rocksmith, so I'm quite familiar with it and it's mostly awesome. Big things would be to get a Snark tuner (or similar, I have the SN5X) and just tune up with that. The in-game tuner is too forgiving and will be frustrating both in gameplay and being slightly out of tune. Also, pay attention to how the game is reacting to your playing - for example I very slightly detune my E string because I grip it hard with the left hand and hit hard with the right, so fretted notes on the E will go sharp. It's a small thing but is huge for the 'score' (which I now ignore since I got into CLDC and turned off dynamic difficulty and master mode).

Overall the experience on bass for me is FAR better than guitar. Off the top, I don't like their guitar hero style of notation (I wish it was real tabs). So having two less colors to remember (and for me, transpose to tabs/notation, mentally, in real time) makes the game a lot less frustrating. Also, it seems the bass is a bit more forgiving to tuning/fretting issues, this may just be because I beat the shit out of an instrument when I play it.

Obv get a few tunes you love, try to stick with things that have simpler basslines to start. No Iron Maiden for a while (I usually play for 15-30 minutes before I fire up Maiden so I can warm up, anyway!). I'd recommend the CDLC with reservations. It's pretty easy for someone like us to get going (and we know how to navigate shitty free download hosting tricks), but it's also wildly variable in quality. Most bass CDLC is done as an afterthought by guitarists and has terrible sound and forget using the notation. I usually keep a book of tabs nearby to learn parts they phoned in. I'd like to learn to use the CDLC editor at some points to start making better bass parts for some songs I want to play (and fix some of my favorites that are jacked up, esp Black Sabbath!).

Please ask if you have more questions! I've gotten back into the game in a big way over the last year and play at least a couple nights a week. More, now that my calluses are back and I can play for a couple hours a few nights in a row without regrets!

Oh, and TIP NUMBA ONE for Rocksmith: invert the fretboard in settings. You'll thank me later. They're both tough to learn, but inverted will set you up to understand written tabs/notation more easily. I have no idea why they went upside down by default, nobody does that. Also, I'm assuming you're on PC, make sure you search for settings to get the lowest latency possible. It still makes me a little batty, but I spent years playing through an amp, so it's hard to ignore. You may not notice it (after setting up for low latency), it's only really troublesome in fast passages for me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:18:14 AM by Sky »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13415 on: August 02, 2019, 09:59:13 AM

Bass came in the mail today.  It’s amazing what you can get for a hundred bucks sometimes.  It will win zero contests for sound and beauty, but it seems solid and serviceable, so cool.

Thanks Sky!  That’s a shitload to unpack.  Especially flipping the fret on its head.  From my limited experience with RS on the guitar....I sense you are on to something. 

I think my latency is okay.  But I know what you mean, when I originally bought RS I had a problem with it.  Not sure what is different about my setup compared to them, but I think I have it at a pretty manageable lag.

Probably won’t be until tomorrow that I get a chance to set this up.  Will come back for more advice if I need it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13416 on: August 02, 2019, 10:01:38 AM

Oh, and TIP NUMBA ONE for Rocksmith: invert the fretboard in settings. You'll thank me later. They're both tough to learn, but inverted will set you up to understand written tabs/notation more easily. I have no idea why they went upside down by default, nobody does that.
I understand why they set it that way by default but I agree if you either know how to read tabs or want to learn how to read them you should flip the view. That's the first thing I did as well in the original game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13417 on: August 02, 2019, 12:43:53 PM

I think my latency is okay.  But I know what you mean, when I originally bought RS I had a problem with it.  Not sure what is different about my setup compared to them, but I think I have it at a pretty manageable lag.
Same here, and I ran through the latency tips on the Internets with both. Original RS had serious latency issues, the current one it's a minor irritation at worst.

Trippy, I mean, I get the concept behind it. It just seems odd since they also tout the ability to go on as a guitarist after learning with the game, and set a hindrance by default. But I've also been nagging them since the original game to put in a 'pro' mode that replaces the guitar-hero-esque notation with real tabs...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13418 on: August 02, 2019, 12:45:53 PM

Picked up Spider-Man again last night. Combat skills deteriorated over the past months.

Also Last Remnant.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13419 on: August 02, 2019, 01:52:04 PM

Once you unlock a ton of stuff, the combat gets really fun and intuitive...and difficult to remember after a lapse. I want to go back and play through all the DLCs, but ohmy.

Playing some Madden 20. Usual mixed bag, ofc. I'm a franchise player, so not much new stuff for me. Just hoping they didn't break the parts I liked in M19.

Considering Dead Cells despite not being into platformers.

Still plugging away with 7 Days A17, but it's getting tougher because I keep wanting some of the new stuff they're packing into A18. I was setting up some base turrets and thinking...man, I wish I could just manually fire at some people or carry this around with me to set up temporarily during quests....
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13420 on: August 02, 2019, 10:31:58 PM

Bass came in the mail today.  It’s amazing what you can get for a hundred bucks sometimes.  It will win zero contests for sound and beauty, but it seems solid and serviceable, so cool.

Thanks Sky!  That’s a shitload to unpack.  Especially flipping the fret on its head.  From my limited experience with RS on the guitar....I sense you are on to something. 

Probably won’t be until tomorrow that I get a chance to set this up.  Will come back for more advice if I need it.

Bass is incredibly fun to play in RS. I have no musical background and had never picked up a guitar or bass before RS. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be great or even particularly good playing bass in a non-RS capacity but that's also not something I've been actively working towards (I'm fairly sure I'm not destined to break into the music industry at 40) and there's probably a number of bad habits I've picked up from learning through a video game rather than having an instructor there to correct me. I have fun though, and there are some songs I can play pretty well on Master Mode so I've learned to some extent.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13421 on: August 03, 2019, 08:30:07 AM

Yeah, got it up and running (after a lot of fucking fiddling to get things right), and bass in this game is way more fun than guitar.  I completely suck, but even after a couple hours I played through a few songs and got that sorta tingly feeling like I had just accomplished something.  Only stopping because I can feel my fingertips are sore.

And I am surprised to fine I like finger strumming.  Gives a better feel.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13422 on: August 03, 2019, 09:50:11 AM

I play with pick or fingers, but my preference by far is fingers. Some, possibly most, choose one or the other, but there are times when you need both. Also, blisters are going to be a thing, so pro-tip: switching from fingers to pick can buy you some more playing time from your right hand (assuming you're picking right). When I go long between playing sessions, I usually have to start back by playing every other, or even third, day.

If your forearms swell and tighten, that's a good thing. It means you're almost warmed up. When you feel your dexterity weakening soon after, take a break and do some finger/forearm stretches. Now you're warmed up. Stop before your blisters pop. I usually let them rise and then lance them, it should actually speed up your calluses if you let them dry and harden before playing again.

For fingers, focus on trying to alternate your index and middle. The game probably teaches you this somewhere, but it's critically important to get that habit in asap. I also use my thumb and ring finger for chords and index/middle/ring for triplets, there's lots of variation but stick to alternating index/middle as much as possible early on.

For the pick, practice alternating (up/down) and just down strokes. You get more power out of a downstroke, so being able to switch to that mode is important. But alternating is the primary picking technique.

Play good songs. There's a reason I have been buying DLC at almost every steam sale. It's more fun with a great playlist. Again, CDLC is a thing and more awesome than not. I have around 900 songs in my list right now  ACK!

Don't get bummed if you have to skip over a complex passage, or even set harder songs aside. I do it all the time. On that note, I used to play with master mode (those sweet 110% performances), but after playing with it off for CDLC, I'm happier without it. I can nail a song with notation but not remember every riff or change. You'll probably want dynamic difficulty on for a while, but it drove me nuts trying to get into the groove with sporadic notes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13423 on: August 04, 2019, 03:55:35 AM

Heh, the soreness is on the fingertips of the left hand....it comes from finding and mashing the notes.  I suspect you have the opposite problem - you have no trouble and no stress finding the notes, but you are strumming like a maniac.  I don’t feel anything from strumming, because the volume is very low.

I really have to work on upward strumming.  I played the shit out of games like Rock Band and GH with the plastic controllers, and got pretty good at it only strumming downwards.  That bad habit is now burnt into my brain.

I am not loving the default music selection, but there is enough to keep me going for a while.  And at quick glance, the interface for finding stuff on the workshop looks absolutely awful.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13424 on: August 04, 2019, 09:29:21 AM

I am not loving the default music selection, but there is enough to keep me going for a while.  And at quick glance, the interface for finding stuff on the workshop looks absolutely awful.

The interface for music selection is very terrible, mostly because it's a port from console versions.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13425 on: August 04, 2019, 09:35:08 AM

The old rockband stuff on console had a really good storefront for downloads.  Not sure why they can’t do the exact same kinda thing here.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13426 on: August 04, 2019, 04:20:36 PM

So Dead Cells is awesome.

I've said I'm not a big platformer fan, last one I can remember really getting into was...Montezuma's Revenge on the C64...but after watching some dev interviews on how they developed the controls, it sounded like something I might dig.

Yuuuup.

Wasn't Montezuma 'procedurally generated', too? I barely remember playing it, even though I played it a ton as a kid, but it somehow feels like that game. But of course way better because The Future.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13427 on: August 04, 2019, 06:46:48 PM

I've bought (otherwise acquired  why so serious?) over $200.00 worth of games in the past 3 months or so and I'm still playing CK2. Ohhhhh, I see. In my defense Holy Fury is awesome, and I did manage to play a little Total War and Majesty 2 in there.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13428 on: August 05, 2019, 10:41:24 AM

Jumped more fully into 40K Inquisitor: Martyr and found a lot more inside than I had originally assumed I would.

Played some Kings & Queens on the Switch and that was fun. I'm still not really sure how to play it properly, but I had a good time.

Something very weird is going on in Warframe. A gas leak, apparently. Might dust off the Limbo Prime and see about being a Space Jackass again.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13429 on: August 06, 2019, 09:19:21 AM

So Dead Cells is awesome.

Yep. It also took me a bit of convincing to try it as well, but Giant Bomb couldn't stop gushing about it and in particular, about the controls. Most monsters not being "contact = damage" helps as well in this regard.

Mostly still playing PoE, although that's cooled down. I'd at least like to beat shaper/uber elder before this league ends, but I'm really dogshit at that shaper fight. I can dash into death beams like a pro.

Since my kid has gotten back into Fortnite, I've also spent more time ot the Switch. Mostly playing Darkest Dungeon, because I'm a glutton for punishment. Might pick up Dragon Quest Builders 2, as the first one was pretty cool from what I tried. Or MK11, because I haven't played a fighting game in forever, but I really can't play that around the family.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13430 on: August 06, 2019, 07:04:03 PM

I'm amazed that every time I've died thus far has been due to something I did, spacing out or just mis-timing something. I don't know how they managed it, but it's genius. Making a game that fans of the genre AND haters like? Phenomenal.

My most "ragey" moment thus far was me getting killed at the first boss on the bridge (like the 3rd time I fought him...and even then I had him down to 5%). I jumped out of my chair and said, "how did I forget to swig a heal in that fight!?" Not all that ragey, I guess. More like aww...haha! And then SPLORP out of the tube. Such a perfect transition to a new run.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13431 on: August 06, 2019, 07:09:32 PM

Hovering over the buy button on Age of Wonders: Planetfall. The reviews that see it as a successor to Alpha Centauri are alluring.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13432 on: August 06, 2019, 08:57:46 PM

Hovering over the buy button on Age of Wonders: Planetfall. The reviews that see it as a successor to Alpha Centauri are alluring.

Huh. High praise indeed. Let us know what you think.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13433 on: August 06, 2019, 10:05:35 PM

Just finished playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, a Final Fantasy Tactics-like made by a husband-and-wife team -- ~50 hours of playtime on Hard difficulty.

Overall verdict: pretty good, 8.5/10 tictacs. I especially like the way they implemented consumables (as a resource that's limited in battle, but replenishes between fights) and the design of all the class abilities / counters is pretty tight with some creative ones (Gambler, Peddler and Gadgeteer were my faves). My biggest criticism is the half-assed implementation of elevation and LOS (it is only really relevant for kiting -- only one class has elevation bonuses, and while there are tiles that block movement and jump height / swimming / hovering are all implemented, there isn't anything that blocks LOS). Many encounters are also solvable in a very similar way after discovering a particularly OP synergy between class abilities, but it's not like FFT itself didn't have this with calculators etc.

Anyway, I recommend this to anyone jonesing for more Final Fantasy Tactics (it feels a bit closer to Tactics Ogre tbh), though my favorite indie in this genre is still Voidspire Tactics.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:12:13 PM by Zetor »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13434 on: August 07, 2019, 07:40:26 AM

I should probably revive the Dead Cells thread so everyone can ignore me gushing so late after everyone has played it  why so serious?

I've had a couple runs with decent gear (my favorite was an amulet that lit the ground on fire wherever you walked)...but last night I had the most epic run...

Got a some decent brutality gear early, decided to spec hard into it (I usually go tactics). I quickly found a legendary set of daggers and on the next biome a legendary fire bomb! Then I upgraded my grenade and turret...and got synergy heaven. The turret's bleed now triggers multiple affixes, like 'bleed causes poisoning' and '+100% dmg to poisoned targets'. My daggers do extra damage to burning and bleeding targets, grenade does extra dmg to bleeding and poisoned targets. The whole thing just ends up insane with DoT stacks, everything but the turret is brutality, so dmg++. Oh, and the daggers, fire bombs, ground pound, and dodging all proc bombs.

Made it to the Hand for the first time, was able to get him down to 20% with no foreknowledge of his fight, other than 'you'll probably lose, dude'. So I was pretty stoked, the entire run just got hilarious.

And inevitably....SPLORP.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #13435 on: August 07, 2019, 08:15:08 AM

Just finished playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, a Final Fantasy Tactics-like made by a husband-and-wife team -- ~50 hours of playtime on Hard difficulty.

Wow, thanks for this.  Had no idea this existed and it looks like something I'll love.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13436 on: August 07, 2019, 09:51:42 AM

I've been spreading out my time over a bunch of games.  I made it through a good chunk of the 40K Inquisitor: Martyr campaign.  My biggest complaint with the first 10+ hours of that game is the enemy variety is pretty low.  Otherwise it's pretty fun, but not something I'll likely play past the campaign.

Played about 4 hours of Return of the Obra Dinn.  I like the story that unfolds as you move through it.  The deductions you have to make are way more subtle than I feel like they should be though.  I kind of struggled to get started, then I put a string of things together and now I'm kind of stuck again.   They seem to pull you in a million different directions too which doesn't help.

Still slowly attempting to 100% Yakuza 0.  This was a fools errand and I should abandon it, but I'm so far along  awesome, for real

Played through most of the first island in DQ Builders 2.  I plan on really getting into this one soon.

Still livin' the Gacha life in Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.  I may have bought a $37 character skin because it was the most efficient gem package.  That's probably a poor decision.  Rydia EX banner is next week though...
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13437 on: August 07, 2019, 10:29:20 AM

I've mostly been playing Fire Emblem: Persona Three Houses, which is awesome. I'm not looking forward to the school sim stuff ending, since I'm enjoying those aspects more than the battles. The removal of the weapon triangle feels really weird, but the new "swords are accurate, axes hit hard, lances are in between" system is fine, I guess.

Haven't played much on the PC lately; stalled out on PoE and I still have a bunch of pre-ShB MSQs in FFXIV. Kinda starting to feel a Minecraft itch, but I'm not sure there's a new pack out there. Might go back to Stoneblock 2; didn't get very far in that one last time.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13438 on: August 07, 2019, 10:35:21 AM

I am deep back into Black Desert Online. There's just something with that game, that combat, and that world, that I can't find anywhere else and always pulls me back in.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13439 on: August 07, 2019, 11:26:40 AM

Kinda starting to feel a Minecraft itch, but I'm not sure there's a new pack out there. Might go back to Stoneblock 2; didn't get very far in that one last time.
I think I lost interest when I realized they removed Refined Storage. I've always been a huge fan of AE2...until Stoneblock, which was my intro to RS. I guess I could add it back in, but meh.

After 11+ seasons of franchise Browns on Madden 19, it makes me unreasonably happy to work with guys like Ward, Garrett, Chubb, Callaway, etc as youngsters. Throwing in OBJ and Hunt on top of that is almost silly!

Might be done with my 7 Days run for this alpha. Just so much goodness in the pipe for A18...otoh it's a lot of fun to load up to run a couple POIs. I like that after all these years I can play it completely differently almost every alpha and find new things to enjoy. Maybe I should fire up my other favorite zombie-early-access, Zomboid...it's been since before they put in vehicles...
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: