Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172867 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13125 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:06 AM

Started on GTA V (very late to the party, but it took me a while to forget the boring awfulness that was GTA IV).  So far so good.  Not a single HEY COUSIN NIKO phone call yet!
I've been playing a little on the PS4, bummed they seem to have fixed the bug that let everyone upgrade their vehicles free at Franklin's auto shop up by Trevor's air strip. I spend like 90% of my time just pimping cars. Need more garages. Actually, my main gripe on the PS4 is the lower traffic density and related lack of variety in vehicle spawning nearby.

Going into the 5th straight conference championship with the Browns, favored to win their 5th straight SB....I guess I should bump up difficulty now. Myles Garrett on the end with 99/99/99 is just mega OP.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13126 on: February 11, 2019, 02:16:33 PM

I basically binged Trails in the Sky over the weekend, which is something I seldom do.  Figure I am getting close to the halfway point, maybe 15 hours in.  This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  It is an interesting approach they have taken with the story, in that there is surely something big going on in the background, but for the most part you are just a happy-go-lucky little duo going on an adventure.  Hits a lot of good chords.  Items of note, both positive and negative:

- It feels like a FF7 era JRPG.  Still on the cutesy end of the spectrum, but way more fleshed out than even something like DQXI (ironically).
- The dialogue is very extensive.  Feels like reading text is the thing you do most.  Very well written to be sure, but it would turn many off.  Not just shallow bullshit either, it goes deep.
- Combat system is good.  The more I play it, the more I like it.  Positioning on your little grid matters, though it isn't totally within your control.  The "Arts" and "Crafts" systems are both well done, particularly the latter.
- The magic system (Arts) they use is a little tough to get to grips with, but it works well enough. 
- The monsters you fight suck.  They are strange and often unidentifiable, and small.  A strange mistake in an otherwise meticulous game.
- The whole "Bracer" idea, in that you are just wandering around doing your job and trying to level up within the guild is cool.  It makes all your side quests make complete sense for once.
- OTOH...all too often I pick up a side quest, but get wrapped into the main story somewhat against my will, only to have the side quest expire.  Kinda dumb, especially as this is an important source of income.
- The map itself is too on-rails.  I don't hate it, but I'd prefer a bit more openness to it.  That said, the sense of epicness of the journey is there.
- Considering all the care that went into crafting the world, the towns, the environments, etc....they could have done a better job of sprinkling little rewards, treasures and little surprises here and there.  I always thought the older Final Fantasy games did this very well, rewarding you for checking out the nooks and crannies.  This game generally does not.
- Party members pop in and out of your life in a way that makes sense, and it dynamically changes the difficulty.  Your duo will struggle in some situations where having a powerful third would make things far easier.  I am also unsure if I should sell all the loot of party members who have left?

In general, though, I am totally sold.  I will play this through to the end for sure, and fairly certainly pick up the next one in the series shortly thereafter.  No way I am touching DQXI in the meantime....I like it just fine, but despite being way prettier to look at, it is incredibly shallow in comparison to Trails.

I know how you feel, and that's pretty much my whole problem with Dragon Quest XI. It pays tribute to everything that is old and we loved, but it is not even remotely as deep in any department as any of those old games. Let alone the stupidest story.

Anyway, after our conversation here I went ahead and skipped Trails in the Sky and picked up Trails of Cold Steel. Very happy with it so far. Once again THAT is what I was looking for in an old style turn based JRPG. It's not the best but those were my favourite games. It totally feels Playstation2 (even though it came out for PS3, I know) era, but with plenty of the quality of life you'd expect from most recent games. Also, the port seems really good as it runs wonderfully, allows for infinite and instantaneous saves pretty much everywhere, and it has the "turbo" feature that allowed me to finish Final Fantasy XII. So far (10 hours in) very happy with the purchase.

On a side note, I've recently checked out this mobile game, and I usually loathe mobile games can't even explain why. But this was hyped as a new game from a guy that worked on Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and some others. Anyway, it's called Another Eden and I would say so far is the most interesting non-Square Enix JRPG I've picked up on a phone. It's free which means that later on microtransactions will become a thing but so far it does not have any of the typical mobile phone bullshit. It just goes straight to story and turn based old school combat. Definitely worth a try.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13127 on: February 11, 2019, 05:54:25 PM

So Holy Fury, CK2's latest (last?) dlc, came out in November.  It's a lot of fun. It adds more flavor to both Christianity and Pagans. Not sure why they didn't do anything for Muslims though.  Anyway there's quite a few bugs but IMO they don't impact the game enough to not buy it if you're interested in returning to CK2.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13128 on: February 11, 2019, 09:56:14 PM

Stuff, etc.

Will look into Another Eden, but might have to mess around with my region in order to be able to get it.  Looks interesting.

I was tempted to go straight to Trails of Cold Steel, but I went with the safer (and cheaper) option of starting at the beginning.  Also, my comparison to FF7 was more to indicate that - while they do have a lot in common - it was more to say that it feels like a Playstation era JRPG, albeit with HD graphics.  FF7 haters won't necessarily hate this.  Or maybe they will, I never really even understood the hate.

I still like DQXI for what it is, but it doesn't have the depth or same level of narrative.  After putting roughly the same amount of time in both to this point, I feel connected with the story in Trails, which I cannot say about DQXI.

Someone please explain Rogue Galaxy to me.  Why is it so great?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13129 on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:13 AM

I think Rogue Galaxy is pretty great if you are nostalgic over the Golden Age of Japanese PS2 gaming. Today's JP games are not as good, but opinions vary.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13130 on: February 13, 2019, 11:45:06 AM

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Kingdom Hearts 3 yet?  I assume the story is garbage, but is it fun?
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #13131 on: February 13, 2019, 07:23:05 PM

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Kingdom Hearts 3 yet?  I assume the story is garbage, but is it fun?

The story is pretty extreme garbage, even by the standards of the overly convoluted WTF KH storyline. They decided that what people really want to see in the conclusion to a decade long trilogy (or 10 or so video games depending on how you look at it) is a whole bunch of foreshadowing for the next games in the series, so you get a lot of cutscenes for things that will presumably be addressed in future games on top of the tons of cutscenes that are addressing things that happened in all of the gaiden games. I honestly don't know how satisfying it is for people who aren't pretty devoted fans of the series and have played everything. I have, and it still left me pretty disgruntled.

But with that said, the gameplay is pretty fun. It's a ton easier than previous games in the series have been (and none of those were exactly Dark Souls), but that's really my only qualm from the gameplay side of things.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13132 on: February 14, 2019, 06:41:22 AM

Forgot to mention that I tried the free Hitman game on PSN recently. I never got into this series and I don't think I'm about to just now, but I can see the appeal.

Otherwise a little Warframe (Who's ready to hunt some aan-tiiiik-witeeeeees?!), a little Last Remnant (check wiki for missables this time), and some falling asleep with the controller in my hands.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13133 on: February 14, 2019, 09:45:00 AM

May as well pm me the deets for that, Ren. I'm bound to come back around to minecraft before spring.

I was getting somewhere with StoneBlock, but wouldn't recommend it for a newer player because the quest book is extremely (boringly) sparse. The idea of a skyblock without the sky is so good for new players, though, it's a shame they dropped the ball on the guide.
PM sent.

I agree on StoneBlock's subpar questbook; I was having a lot of fun since my two biggest complaints about SkyBlock are falling to death and the initial cobble grind. I petered out due to lack of direction and the OP quest rewards (in particular, the sword that one shots everything with Looting 99 or whatever).
I grabbed the modpack to check it out. The furnace recipe made me  Ohhhhh, I see. I don't mind recipe tweaking to make certain mods more viable or for lore or whatever. But that recipe just smacks of dumb design and turned me off of the pack.

One reason I have played a ton of Awakening mod is he is pretty good at tweaking recipes to make the modpack cohesive. Maybe the best non-thematic mod recipes I've come across (thematic meaning stuff like Regrowth, Blightfall, etc).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13134 on: February 14, 2019, 10:39:13 AM

What furnace recipe? It's just 8 cobble with empty space in the middle like normal, IIRC. Did you accidentally download an expert version?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13135 on: February 14, 2019, 11:23:53 AM

Uhhh....of course not!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Ohhhhh, I see. swamp poop

Yep
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13136 on: February 14, 2019, 11:37:15 AM

PoE for now since my puppy is being a jerk and I need something I can bail from super easy. Otherwise, I might give Apex Legends a try. I'm not sure I'd last as I hate playing with randos (no matter how good your pinging system is).

Mapping starts at post game, right? My gear is starting to become a drag at 65. I don't feel like I ever upgrade anything at this point. I have no problem killing stuff quickly, but I just feel a bit squishy.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13137 on: February 14, 2019, 11:38:31 AM

Solo and duos are supposedly coming in Apex Legends.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13138 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:26 AM

PoE for now since my puppy is being a jerk and I need something I can bail from super easy. Otherwise, I might give Apex Legends a try. I'm not sure I'd last as I hate playing with randos (no matter how good your pinging system is).

Mapping starts at post game, right? My gear is starting to become a drag at 65. I don't feel like I ever upgrade anything at this point. I have no problem killing stuff quickly, but I just feel a bit squishy.
Yea, you have to finish Act 10 now to start mapping. I haven't been on much since EO:Nexus came out and stole my attention. If you've found a few Chaos Orbs you can usually grab decent starter (for endgame) gear on poe.trade or the official trading site for 1c or 1 alch per piece. Keep in mind you're going to lose 30% more resistances when you finish Act 10; if you're going to buy upgrades now, you might as well overcap to compensate for that hit ahead of time.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13139 on: February 14, 2019, 01:49:56 PM

Mass Effect: Andromeda: Sky's f13 First Look

Impossible to make a decent looking protagonist
I don't do cover shooters yololeeeroyetc
Looong cutscenes I don't wanna skip so thank god I am on PS4 so I can dump to menu anytime
My god the sheer amount of GTA-like 'tutorial' that instantly vanish, leaving you unable to do basic game functions (see: taking cover in a cover shooter, ok fuck it, yollooooooo)

High point in the first hour was the game-generated 'dad' character from my femRyder. I can't stop laughing when that tragedy is on the screen, it's so abominable. Probably worth my sawbuck right there.

Otherwise, meh. It's stuff.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13140 on: February 14, 2019, 11:03:48 PM

Apex Legends is fun as a compromise between the childish bullshittery of Fortnite and the unforgiving pseudo-realism of PUBG, which I adore but I am not good enough anymore to play. Unfortunately I am not good enough anymore to play Apex either, but things like Ultimates and and arrows to tell you where you are being shot from hide my age problem a little bit.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13141 on: February 15, 2019, 02:51:34 AM

Yes.  Community and teammates are still ultra retarded, however.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13142 on: February 15, 2019, 06:42:11 AM

Alright, I feel I need a follow-up to my comprehensive first-look of Andromeda.

Hour 2, I'm certain Bioware is straight-up trolling with the Krogan voice actor, the first Krogan you meet on the Nexus, who sounds like they're straight from a pride parade. I literally could not stop laughing every time it spoke, no idea what plot it was supposed to be advancing, heard nothing other than the voice itself. The amount of hopefully unintentional laughter I've had in the first two hours has been pretty epic. Even the attempts to be dramatic with the cinematography and score are so ham-fisted, it's laughable.

Then the Salarian who runs the Nexus. I'm pretty sure the VA for that role was just Dylan from IT. This game is such an odd mix of production and low-budget.

So my official f13 one-word review, as of my second-look: "Laughable"
schild
Administrator

Reply #13143 on: February 15, 2019, 06:42:59 AM

It's 2019. Can you motherfuckers stop giving EA your money or time. Jesus.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13144 on: February 15, 2019, 09:33:44 AM

It was $5 and worth it for the lulz. If the NFL would pull its head out and allow 2k to make NFL games again I'd be pretty EA-free.

Kinda bummed GMG is selling FC:New Dawn through Ubiconnect, I'd rather pay a little more for a simple steam license. So my Andromeda playthrough is likely over now, heh.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #13145 on: February 15, 2019, 10:14:43 AM

I only made it half way through Andromeda. First Bioware game I've ever played that I can say that about.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13146 on: February 15, 2019, 10:26:04 AM

Kinda bummed GMG is selling FC:New Dawn through Ubiconnect, I'd rather pay a little more for a simple steam license. So my Andromeda playthrough is likely over now, heh.
It wouldn’t matter if they sold you a Steam key cause Steam Ubisoft games have required you to link to a Uplay account for a while now. So you might as well just use Uplay directly and avoid an extra level of DRM.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13147 on: February 15, 2019, 07:04:01 PM

Never, ever playing a Far Cry again. I don't care if all of you write messages about how were literally orgasming every ten minutes while playing. Nope. I want open world for real, I do not want some 14-year old brogrammers idea about a great narrative twist being shoved down my throat every two hours of gameplay just to make sure that my fun is properly paced with completely sophmoric storytelling dumbshittery.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13148 on: February 16, 2019, 05:47:48 PM

Understandable. I ended up skipping most of that or going to get a drink or pee or whatever, in FC5. It made it a bit more confusing in the open world, but a much better gaming experience.

I went back to Andromeda for the slower pace and lulz.

FYI, New Dawn is basically a beefy expansion pack, not really a full game. I liked FC5 so it doesn't bug me too much, but it was a pretty shitty marketing move.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13149 on: February 16, 2019, 06:07:28 PM

How was it a shitty marketing move? Ubisoft never hid the fact that New Dawn was a reskinned and tweaked subset of FC5. That's why they priced it the way they did -- basically halfway between a large DLC/expansion and a full game ($20 vs $40 vs $60) -- since that's what it is. They even show you the full extent of the map (not including the expeditions) on the Web site so you can see that it's about 1/4 of the size of FC5.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #13150 on: February 16, 2019, 08:25:36 PM

I'm enjoying this Apex Legends thing.

It's Battle Royale, but 3-person-squad based, with surviving squadmates being able to revive/respawn downed/dead squadmates, and a really fantastic ping system for pointing out enemies, locations, loot, etc to your team with a buttonpress, making voice chat much less essential for success.  All that combined with how fast matches start up has made it pretty damn enjoyable even though I am terrible and have all the accuracy of an imperial stormtrooper.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13151 on: February 18, 2019, 10:59:45 AM

This (Apex Legends) is what has eaten up my life for the past three days. This video is a collection of my best kills not because they are actually good but because they are pretty much my only ones. I am incredibly bad, and 5 minutes of diluted highlights are all I have to show after more than 200 matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hOGv8PX3mk

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #13152 on: February 19, 2019, 02:39:19 AM

I remain terrible, but one thing that has helped a bit is intentionally dropping near another team to get into firefights faster.  I can successfully skulk around the map for 15+ minutes and then get destroyed by one of the top 2-3 remaining teams, but earlier engagements I occasionally win.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13153 on: February 19, 2019, 03:21:56 AM

Same. Earlier fights can be frustrating when you don't get a weapon in the first two seconds and others do, but at least you die and start again. Going around for 15 minutes gearing up gives us bad players the illusion that we are doing good but we are only wasting time. The fewer teams are left, they more deadly they are. You could easily get second place in this game without firing a single shot twenty times in a row, but the chance of winning that final duel? Zero, because that last team is insanely good. So I rather just get things done in the first few seconds against randos that might happen to be as bad as I am (and sometimes they are). The longer I survive, the more pointless the firefight is going to be when I'll finally meet enemies.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #13154 on: February 19, 2019, 06:01:56 AM

You get exp from TimeToLive, not so much from killing ppl.  But dropping into firefight (hopefully) is the only way to improve aiming. Lack of any room for short deathmatches or duels is killing my feeling of aiming progress.
And this game is sooo much different from other FPSs - a lot of my friends ruling BF or CoD can't hit shit here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:03:31 AM by disKret »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13155 on: February 19, 2019, 07:12:50 AM

The reason I am enjoying the game and some of its early bloody action is that somehow it reminds me of 1998 Half Life deathmatch. The weapons feel similar, at least in my memory. At least the shotguns and pistols. This is a plus.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13156 on: February 19, 2019, 01:37:28 PM

Anthem is very very pretty, and a pretty fun Destiny clone. UI is dog shit, loading screens are a pain, lack of documentation is annoying.

But its a fun, pretty shooter. Auto balancing different leveled squad members is seamless, which is a huge plus for casuals like me.

If they fix a few basic things and roll out enough content, it might do ok. Which is good, because after Andromeda, I was quite afraid for them.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13157 on: February 20, 2019, 06:21:42 AM

Anthem is very very pretty, and a pretty fun Destiny clone. UI is dog shit, loading screens are a pain, lack of documentation is annoying.

But its a fun, pretty shooter. Auto balancing different leveled squad members is seamless, which is a huge plus for casuals like me.

If they fix a few basic things and roll out enough content, it might do ok. Which is good, because after Andromeda, I was quite afraid for them.

Disclaimer: I never played Waframe/Destiny/The Division, so Anthem is my first try with this sub-genre. Currently lv6, I'm having fun, gameplay is very good even tho, at the moment, I'm playing almost exclusively solo (except free play, of course). Yeah, for now enemy variation is limited, there are other gameplay issues, but I really like the game world and the scenery. Finally, the roadmap devs laid out seems promising.

IMO, some articles I read are excessively negative/pessimistic toward the game, at this early stage.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13158 on: February 20, 2019, 07:03:28 AM

The pessimism comes from the fact that Anthem doesn't feel like much of an upgrade over any of its precursors. On top of that, it feels unreasonably clunky and hard to navigate for a game that is pretty much a clone of a well established genre, and has a huge budget.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13159 on: February 20, 2019, 07:31:02 AM

Tetris 99 is really addicting.  Its pretty bare bones but I just keep queuing up over and over. 
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: