Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172748 times)
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12775 on: September 26, 2018, 05:34:20 PM

The new Star Control is pretty fun.  Decent writing and combat mechanics and I find the whole drive around on the planet to scoop materials thing super relaxing.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12776 on: September 26, 2018, 08:45:29 PM

GoW3, for instance, I can really see how people dig that and it brings some interesting level design and concept twists to the table despite being basically an old Mario game in new clothes.

what
Linear, double jumps, secrets, bosses, etc. Same formula set up in Super Mario Brothers. Most console stuff is like that. You damn kids, too close to the lamp to see the light.

why so serious?
schild
Administrator

Reply #12777 on: September 26, 2018, 09:33:37 PM

i'm pretty much the king of stretching the definitions of games to include shit from other genres for shits and giggles

and that

that's just stupid
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12778 on: September 27, 2018, 08:35:34 AM

Too close
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12779 on: September 27, 2018, 08:53:29 AM

GoW3, for instance, I can really see how people dig that and it brings some interesting level design and concept twists to the table despite being basically an old Mario game in new clothes.

what
Linear, double jumps, secrets, bosses, etc. Same formula set up in Super Mario Brothers. Most console stuff is like that. You damn kids, too close to the lamp to see the light.

why so serious?

Aside from the linearity, Gow3 had much more in common with the Spider-man game you just so recently admitted to loving.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12780 on: September 27, 2018, 02:07:59 PM

Anyone who wants to know what Persona games are like, this will tell you everything you need to know.

BOOM : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-A2F6QKwQ

Also it's probably my favorite thing in any of them.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12781 on: September 27, 2018, 02:09:39 PM

I just realized that Mario's cape and tail are identical to Kratos' chain swords.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12782 on: September 27, 2018, 06:26:50 PM

if you've fought one bowser in a flying circus faced hover cup, you've fought all the titans
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12783 on: September 28, 2018, 01:22:39 PM

I am 56 hours into Dragon Quest XI and I have reached the point where I put it on only when my roommates are around so we can make fun of the game together, and that's the only way to stomach it. It is almost unbearable, I guess at this point I am still playing it to fortify my spirit.

On the side I have started Labyrinth of Refrain which is very enjoyable. As stated before, it is (a) Bard's Tale made by the Disgaea people so you have to expect a lot of leveling up, infinitely randomly generated loot, and basically infinite dungeoneering. AS IT SHOULD BE.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12784 on: September 28, 2018, 03:18:51 PM

You sound like a jaded MMO addict with your 56 hours of DQ misery.  why so serious?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12785 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:13 PM

Hahaha, that's almost exactly how I played through DQ VIII.  I can't be sure there's not a diary out there somewhere with entries like "It's day 7 of grinding metal slimes and I can no longer tell where the slimes end and I begin."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12786 on: September 30, 2018, 07:18:10 PM

I'm waiting for the bugs that everyone is complaining about in the Pathfinder game. So far I would say it's like "Adequate Updated Baldur's Gate". Like, fun, and ok? You really have to like 3.5 because this is really faithful to that. The ridiculous unbalanced encounters have been significantly patched out, but I started having more fun playing on easy mode, as even normal sometimes still brings crazy shit that's utterly wrong for the area. It's RNGjesus, because you can go from a greater weretiger to 4 kobolds in two encounters, but, anyhoo. It's like playing with an imaginative DM who does good character work and world-building who is slightly autistic about saying "I'm sorry, but you've all been killed because that's what the dice say."
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12787 on: October 01, 2018, 09:24:00 AM

I am still considering what I think of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but so far I am more than mildly annoyed with it.

You need some tanks that can take abuse up front, and some DPS that can kill the stuff beating on the tanks before the tanks die.

Oh, and healing is painful.  I cast heal, oops, that person is unconscious.  And the heal was for 1 anyway.  Potions are are almost useless.  And everything does way too much damage, and has far too many hitpoints.  Plus their AC is ludicrous. And that's on Normal.

I may follow Khaldun's example and set it down to Easy, just because it's that goddamn annoying.

I started with the out of the box paladin, but that was just not going well.  I restarted with the out of the box sorcerer and that is going so much better that it's ridiculous.  Oh, and I made the barbarian use sword and board instead of her stupid giant sword.

As Khaldun said, the encounters vary wildly, and in the early levels (probably later levels too) you can end up with dead tanks in two rounds because lolcrits.

Save early, save often, just save.

Oh, and there are multiple creatures that can inflict permanent stat debuffs.  And at least one encounter that will put a permanent constitution debuff on you.  As in, either spend 700 g for a scroll or wait until you have a level 5(?) cleric to cast Restoration.

Weight is annoying.  Having to rest every 5 minutes is annoying.  And you have to rest, because exhaustion is too much of a debuff to ignore.  You need supplies to rest, 1 per person, and they weigh 10 pounds each.  In the overland it's not that big a deal, as you can hunt, but in dungeons you can't hunt, so bring lots.

I may look into modding the weight of those supplies down to 1 pound, just because weight is that goddamn annoying.  Encumbrance affects how quickly you become fatigued and exhausted, and both of those put debuffs on your characters.  Plus I am about to start stabbing the characters as they whine every time they get fatigued.

Oh, and the swarms you encounter in one of the first quests you are given are just really fucking stupid.  Bring something that can do AOE damage or don't bother.

Also, there are multiple hidden areas that require a successful perception check to find, and the guides I've glanced at so far all recommend that you save scum until your perception person detects them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12788 on: October 01, 2018, 11:34:35 AM

So Horizon is a pretty cool game. Decided to forgo waiting for a sale and plop down the full $20 for it, to slot it in before RDR2 drops. Worth it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12789 on: October 01, 2018, 11:51:22 AM

Yeah Horizon Zero Dawn is my favorite of the three most recent major exclusives (HZD, God of War, Spider-Man).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12790 on: October 01, 2018, 01:38:19 PM

Horizon was worth the $60.  The add-on was a bit of a dick punch, and as with dick punches I left as soon as it hurt.

Playing Dead Cells a bit.  I enjoy the aesthetic and details.

Conan Exiles.  Best Minecraft so far.

Trying Fallout 4 again.  I'm starting to think Fallout 4 is not a good game.

Started Watch_Dogs.  Meh.  5/10

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12791 on: October 01, 2018, 01:43:23 PM

The permanent stat debuffs in Pathfinder are nearly unforgiveable. The swarms are an absolutely stupid mechanic. There's a lot of dumb stuff that developers should be over by this point. But I am still kind of having fun on Easy. Normal is not fun.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12792 on: October 01, 2018, 02:13:08 PM

Right?  The first time I saw a permanent stat debuff on a character I was in a level 3ish area, and I had to check 2-3 times before I fully convinced myself that it was a permanent debuff.  Then I went looking around to see what would remove it, and sure enough, Lesser Restoration doesn't cut it.  Has to be Restoration.  Which is a level 3 spell, so wait until level 5 until someone can actually cast that?  No.

Wait.  Just checked.  It's a level 4 spell.  So I can't even start clearing permanent debuffs until level 7?  Eeeeeesh.

... I saw diamond dust for sale at a vendor, there actually is a non-zero chance casting Restoration will require that as well.

Needless to say I reloaded the game.  Rather than wait 4.25 levels or spend 700 gold on one scroll for one person.

Hmmm, according to a steam discussion, apparently "permanent", depending on the difficulty level you selected, means until you rest in a safe location.  Or the Restoration route for difficulties above Normal.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12793 on: October 01, 2018, 02:29:40 PM

Yeah, anything in an RPG that more or less compels you to reload (that isn't a party wipe) is a bad mechanic.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12794 on: October 01, 2018, 11:04:25 PM

Thats why there is a difficulty option that heals stat damage at resting.

Somebody already said it, but it bears repeating. This game is balanced at easy, the normal difficulty is for masochists and CRPG tough guys only.
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #12795 on: October 02, 2018, 02:07:07 AM

Right?  The first time I saw a permanent stat debuff on a character I was in a level 3ish area, and I had to check 2-3 times before I fully convinced myself that it was a permanent debuff.  Then I went looking around to see what would remove it, and sure enough, Lesser Restoration doesn't cut it.  Has to be Restoration.  Which is a level 3 spell, so wait until level 5 until someone can actually cast that?  No.

Wait.  Just checked.  It's a level 4 spell.  So I can't even start clearing permanent debuffs until level 7?  Eeeeeesh.

... I saw diamond dust for sale at a vendor, there actually is a non-zero chance casting Restoration will require that as well.

Needless to say I reloaded the game.  Rather than wait 4.25 levels or spend 700 gold on one scroll for one person.

Hmmm, according to a steam discussion, apparently "permanent", depending on the difficulty level you selected, means until you rest in a safe location.  Or the Restoration route for difficulties above Normal.

One of the difficulty options when you start the game is if resting well clear all "permanent" debuffs or not. The only reason not to put a check mark next to that option is if you feel you need to play the game at a non-custom difficulty for achievements. You can also select an options where you and your companions automatically revive after combat if they died. I strongly recommend both of these options, even if you leave the rest of the game on hard mode.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12796 on: October 02, 2018, 02:51:37 AM

This is a prime example why D&D-likes are not suited for a CRPG.

The mechanic permanent debuff makes sense in a pen and paper setting to add tension and drama and because you have a game master that can temper things. In a CRPG the most likely thing that will happen is that a player reloads a save or abuses the rest mechanic or they grind levels/money to buy a scroll.

It adds nothing but additional tedium.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12797 on: October 02, 2018, 02:58:13 AM

Currently playing a lot of Forza Horizon 4 on PC.  Goddamn, they killed it when it came time to optimize this game - I'm running it on 1440p/Ultra settings and haven't seen the low side of 60FPS yet.

The actual game is goofy open world racing stuff like the rest of the Horizon games - I particularly like the 'Forzathon' events that happen every hour, where everyone on the server meets up to do cooperative events for about 10-15 minutes.  They're complete mayhem in a good way.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:00:52 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12798 on: October 02, 2018, 12:09:43 PM

The option to grind early game in Pathfinder: Kingmaker is limited initially because of a hard 3 month time limit to achieve an objective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12799 on: October 02, 2018, 01:09:43 PM

This game sounds awful.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12800 on: October 02, 2018, 01:18:24 PM

I'm... not sure that Pathfinder: Kingmaker is awful.  It's not a game I would easily recommend to people right at this moment, unless they want to play a lesser version of Baldur's Gate 1/2.

I think I am going to bump the difficulty down to Easy, just because.  undecided
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12801 on: October 02, 2018, 02:42:18 PM

I am actually having fun with it. It's just that it annoys me when something that should be consistent fun has a bunch of own goals that were easily avoided.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12802 on: October 03, 2018, 12:56:33 AM

I think it's a pretty great game hidden under five layers of jank, bugs, and balancing issues. Comments from Owlcat discord seem to hint at the devs needing at least one more month to polish things before release, but Deep Silver was being Deep Silver. I kickstarted it so I could play at launch, but I'll probably shelve it for a month or two until the most egregious problems are fixed.

Swarms are from the tabletop RPG, and they are basically an AOE check. IIRC the quest giver dude gave me a ton of alchemist fire flasks, though I just ended up bombing the crap out of them with my Grenadier alchemist...

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12803 on: October 03, 2018, 10:09:26 AM

The difference between Easy and Normal is flat out ludicrous.

Normal - far too many fights are ones I can (and often will) lose.  We're talking random encounter, 5 mobs, party wipe.  Necessitating multiple reloads, applying strats, and hoping RNG is on my side this time.
Easy - Just about too easy.  The game is far more fun on Easy though.  Same encounter as above, set mode from Normal to Easy, 5 mobs in a random encounter, I walk away a few hitpoints down.

I am tempted to put the difficulty above Normal to see if the game is actually easier (because they fucked up the scaling on Normal somehow.)  awesome, for real
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #12804 on: October 03, 2018, 10:30:08 AM

The difference between Easy and Normal is flat out ludicrous.
Sounds like my experience with Dragon Age: Origins. Easy was a joke but Normal just ended up with 7 out of 10 battles being reloads and the remaining victories with like 20% health. Which was a shame because I wanted to like the game but gave up on it.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12805 on: October 03, 2018, 12:55:18 PM

Does it improve as you level up?  Since Selby mentioned Dragon Age, the fights in that were really hard at the beginning and got to be routine once you put ten or so levels into your guys and rounded out the party.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12806 on: October 03, 2018, 02:06:52 PM

I will report back later on whether it evens out after some level-ups.  I suspect that around level 10 or 15 the game will likely become significantly easier.

I am unfortunately a busy man, and don't have much time to play.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12807 on: October 03, 2018, 03:21:32 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm at level 5 on Easy and I can still find a few fights after beating the Stag Lord that kill me even on Easy--there's an island with an asston of wisps that I've just decided you are not meant to be on until later, full stop.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12808 on: October 03, 2018, 05:03:12 PM

The main problem I've found with Kingmaker at low levels is how Owlcat statted out and armed various enemies. Rando bandits have very efficient stat spreads, optimized feats, and nearly all of them are rocking Masterwork or better weapons. Combine that with your NPC party members being very... subpar... and things can get frustrating.

Plus it sure is fun running into random encounters at level 3 that have level 11 Elder Elementals in them which will immediately kill you, with no way to run from it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12809 on: October 04, 2018, 04:51:31 AM

That's the stuff that puzzles me. Even on Easy, I had random encounters at level 3 with a Roc and other things that just wiped me quickly. That's such a classic "bad DM" move that I almost think they're doing it for the lulz.
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: