Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172930 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12705 on: September 08, 2018, 06:50:17 AM

I'm still banging my head against Hollow Knight. I should like this game and I love certain aspects of it. I'm a huge sucker for Metroidvania style game, and I like the aesthetic and the music. I don't agree with a lot of the mechanics though.

I have issues with the way this game controls. Sometimes when you have to do complex movements the game loses inputs. It also has animation priority, it sometimes doesn't allow animation cancel, uses momentum for a lot of interactions and enemies have collision.

If you hit someone, you and that person get knocked back a little, if you bump into someone or something you suffer knockback. (similar to the Medusa heads in castlevania or the damn birds in Ninja gaiden) If that hit does damage you get knocked out of your animation und suffer a stun (also a very annoying audio effect where the game audio volume is lowered). If you bump into environment your movement gets deflected, e.g if you bump into the ceiling during a jump not only is your jump stopped, your movement vector gets deflected downards. It sometimes doesn't register inputs during animation or scene transitions. It's also very peculiar about jumping off of platforms. It doesn't do what e.g. the Mario games do. If you miss the platform by a single pixel or your input is a frame too late you fall. Then you usually hit something that changes your momentum or direction of movement or stuns you and then you get knocked around until you're stationary again.

It's all very physics-like.

In short I always feel like the game isn't doing what I want it to do. You miss a lot of platforms, you never tend to end up exactly where you wanted to be and - especially compared to a game like Dead Cells - its annoying me too no end with how "floaty" the controls feel.

My biggest gripe with the game though is the fact that you can't pass through enemies, only over them. The game has no dodge roll or similar mechanic and you get no invincibility frames during a jump - only after you took a hit. So bigger enemies - especially bosses - can corner you and make it so you can't escape without taking guaranteed hits if they are larger than your jump height or you're blocked by environment. If you mistime a jump you can get knocked into an enemy simply by bumping into the ceiling and having your movement vector changed unpredictably.

I've lost fights because I had to fight very large enemies in small arenas (usually they are only one screen wide) and got cornered with no way for me to actually switch to the other side of the boss. The enemy was simply too large to jump over it, there was no way for me to pass under it and there were also no platforms. So I got simply backed into a corner and pummelled.

Add to it that you are theoretically able to heal but never really have the time to do it during boss fights because their attack patterns don't give you enough time to complete a heal.

I should like the game and I want to like it but it feels like I'm mostly wrestling with the controls to make the game do what I need it to.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12706 on: September 08, 2018, 06:52:48 PM

Anyone still playing Crusader Kings 2? I basically playing vanilla for the longest time and recently bought a ton of dlcs. They really flesh out the game. I think I prefer playing as a Viking pagan than anything else and a new dlc should becoming out soonish that will make peacetime more fun and make building large empires harder (well, for Catholics anyways, as there's a change in how titles are distributed after crusades).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12707 on: September 08, 2018, 09:32:18 PM

I haven't played it for years and stopped buying the DLC because I wasn't playing, but yes, the DLC made that game a ton better. The Viking one was the last one I really played out and it was really strong. I think I stopped around the time Horse Lords came out, but it's a game that got over 100 hours out of me so I'd say it's one of the few where the DLC gave me my money's worth.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12708 on: September 09, 2018, 08:40:48 AM

Spider-Man and Madden. I was pleasantly surprised to see Madden at 33% off, since I was going to snag it anyway.

My first playstation, so learning the quirks of the controller. Oddly, the biggest problem is the X button, because I'm used to it being where the square button is. On S-M, it just means I throw a lot of random attacks when I want to jump. But in Madden, it's been making things interesting with a lot of 'random' playcalls and throwing to the wrong receiver.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12709 on: September 09, 2018, 12:23:10 PM

"Bottom" button is always Jump, unless you are fucking Nintendo.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12710 on: September 09, 2018, 12:26:50 PM

Unless you are in Japan.

In Japan X and Circle buttons swap meaning on PlayStation if I recall
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12711 on: September 09, 2018, 12:38:47 PM

Yeah, "X" (or the bottom button on the PS) is considered "Cancel" or "Back" in Japan so its swapped in the Japanese versions (or more accurately the International versions are swapped from their intended configuration). On the other hand Nintendo doesn't bother to flip the buttons based on region which is annoying when you are switching between systems.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12712 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:45 AM

Finally beat the end boss in Dead Cells. I had to end up doing it with an absurdly overpowered build. Marksman Bow/Ice Bow. 2 Heavy Turrets. 22 tactics while still having around 6k hp. Marksman bow was hitting for around 20K. I think I would have been disgusted with myself if the Hand of the King had even triggered the YOLO rune. I think the game felt sorry for me.

Prey is a lot of fun. Spooky and nerve-wracking at times, but still enjoyable. I should probably pick up Dishonored 2 at some point, since I seem to enjoy Arkane's work.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12713 on: September 10, 2018, 07:22:06 AM

The thing you must realize with Playstation is that the buttons are not letters "X" and "O", they are a cross and a circle.  They are pretty much in the place you'd expect for what you want to do, just don't look at them.

I don't play on the Switch very much because of the buttons being "reversed".  As Trippy said, Sony reverses the buttons from the JP defaults in NA.  Nintendo is pretty sure you are doing it wrong.

I downloaded Prey and a couple other neat-looking things, and then naturally spent the weekend playing Mad Max, Warframe, and yesterday starting New Vegas for the first time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12714 on: September 10, 2018, 11:26:13 AM

My biggest problem with the PS4 controller is that damn "Options" button. It's intended to be so subtle that sometimes you just lose its placement on the thing because the button isn't raised so I have to fumble around to find it. In the middle of a game, that can be a problem as I'll either not hit it or hit something else looking for it. I'd rather it be beside the PS button.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12715 on: September 10, 2018, 12:33:54 PM

I agree it is terrible but since I only play on the PS4, I quickly acclimated.  Much like a penis, familiarity produces success.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12716 on: September 10, 2018, 01:01:50 PM

Wait, what games require an emergency press of the Options button?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12717 on: September 10, 2018, 01:15:45 PM

I honestly can't remember, though I do know that it's the "Pause" button on many games, which often has to be hit quickly when the wife is calling me from downstairs.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12718 on: September 10, 2018, 01:23:15 PM

That's what the PS (Playstation) button is for.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12719 on: September 10, 2018, 08:35:28 PM

Let me tell you how much Ninty's stupid reversed button horseshit drives me up the wall playing BotW.  Jesus Christ.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12720 on: September 10, 2018, 10:31:01 PM

Yeah, harder and better pause. In fact, I adore the PS4 "Rest Mode". It totally circumvents the stupid save system of many games.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12721 on: September 11, 2018, 12:59:22 AM

Let me tell you how much Ninty's stupid reversed button horseshit drives me up the wall playing BotW.  Jesus Christ.

This.  Although, you can re-map it.  I just decided to get used to it instead, as my youngest already had done and it was too much bother switching it back and forth.  This is on WiiU version, mind you.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12722 on: September 11, 2018, 12:20:33 PM

Yeah, harder and better pause. In fact, I adore the PS4 "Rest Mode". It totally circumvents the stupid save system of many games.

I'm thinking more of the pause where you stay in the game and get a pause menu - Persona 5 being the main game where it bugged me, since that was where a lot of save game and character work was done.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12723 on: September 11, 2018, 06:40:03 PM

Yup. I was impressed when I was able to immediately start playing Spider-Man exactly where I left off, not even a loading time.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12724 on: September 17, 2018, 11:40:40 AM

I just watch Arumba play CK2 on YouTube.
Rasix

Reply #12725 on: September 18, 2018, 11:50:42 AM

Beat Prey. Good game. Ending was a bit binary and could have been better, but it really didn't detract from the overall experience. I didn't do every side mission, but I did most of the important ones and ended up clocking around 24 hours in it.

One spoilery gripe:

Time for Spider Man.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12726 on: September 18, 2018, 01:53:41 PM

I'm trying to withhold comments until I finish Spidey, I'm just before the finale...

Amazing. Spectacular.

This is how you make a super hero game feel right.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12727 on: September 18, 2018, 04:09:05 PM

It could be the best superhero game ever and I wouldn't even give it a look.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12728 on: September 18, 2018, 06:39:00 PM

That's weird. Why not? I was thinking of picking this one up for the PS4 -- it looks like a fun actioner that won't actually *increase* my stress while playing it (looking at you Last of Us)...
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #12729 on: September 18, 2018, 06:44:11 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #12730 on: September 18, 2018, 06:59:53 PM

funnier as justschildthings

instead of schildy, that's just weird

but also, yeah

i don't care about superheroes, i feel like we've been over this

edit:

That's weird. Why not? I was thinking of picking this one up for the PS4 -- it looks like a fun actioner that won't actually *increase* my stress while playing it (looking at you Last of Us)...

Ok, apparently we haven't been over this enough.

I don't find superheroes compelling. Moviewise, I can tolerate it when the actors are up to snuff - or the directors pull a rabbit out of their hat (as per the discord conversation about ranking superhero movies). But all in all, I just don't give a fuck about superheroes. The entire premise is just lost on me. Like, yeah, great, these people are doing good. If I could shoot webs and had spider strength, I'd do good also. It's really not asking much for people with special fucking powers to do good. Also, the arbitrary credo of heroes just annoys the shit out of me. There's no reason for Superman and Batman to not be willing to straight up murder bitches like the joker and Luthor. There's absolutely NO ARGUMENT to make that makes it sane to keep them alive.

The entire premise is flawed and boring. I'd call it contrived, but they did that to themselves.

Superheroes suck. Also, I prefer my heroes be humans who do extraordinary things at peril to themselves without you know, fucking murdertouch like Rogue or eye beams or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:03:13 PM by schild »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #12731 on: September 18, 2018, 07:23:21 PM

Superheroes suck. Also, I prefer my heroes be humans who do extraordinary things at peril to themselves without you know, fucking murdertouch like Rogue or eye beams or whatever.

So like, Extraordinaryheroes?
schild
Administrator

Reply #12732 on: September 18, 2018, 08:30:44 PM

So like, Extraordinaryheroes?
i don't know why you made that so big, but I meant like martin luther king jr
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12733 on: September 18, 2018, 09:04:51 PM

Oh okay! I thought maybe there was something going on with the parent company or something (sort of like how I really don't want to buy an Ubisoft game).

I find superheros to be quite compelling, so here's my money Spiderman game.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12734 on: September 18, 2018, 11:35:23 PM

There's probably a Martin Luther King Jr. superhero video game joke to make here, but I don't think I dare attempt it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

Reply #12735 on: September 19, 2018, 09:39:08 AM

Spider Man is fun so far. Big adjustment going from playing M/KB with Prey back to my PS4, which I hadn't touched in a few months.

Looks great and performs really well.

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12736 on: September 20, 2018, 10:32:44 PM

Which explains why you wouldn't be into Spider-man comics or movies, but from a video game standpoint I'm sure you play plenty of games where the hero is superhuman. Just off the top of my head I know you liked the God of War games. If the gameplay is fun, I'm not sure why you'd go out of your way to avoid a game just because it's a superhero game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12737 on: September 21, 2018, 12:36:31 AM

God of war is kind of an exception. I can count on one hand the number of games I've played that fall into that classification in the last ten years. Unless 2D shit counts. I played the first Infamous. Aaaaand I can't think of anything else.

But it's not just the Spiderman bit. I play very few open world games of that style. I don't even play GTA. I played crackdown, but what else was I going to play on the 360.

Edit: also, you know I love marvel movies but it's way more about the actors than the heroes. Tony Stark sitting in a bar for two hours suffering from affluenza is more appealing to me than say, iron Man 4.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #12738 on: September 21, 2018, 05:28:49 AM

Star Control Origins launched yesterday so played that most of the night. It's been pretty good so far,  brings back good memories of the originals. Haven't made it much past the starting solar system but so far they've hit the quirky dialogue of the series. You have to drive a lander around planets to get minerals, find easter eggs and special encounters which might become tedious after awhile. So far seems like it was worth the $40.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12739 on: September 21, 2018, 05:17:02 PM

Never buy Stardock games.
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: