Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173014 times)
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #12250 on: December 28, 2017, 08:14:48 PM

Rented a server for Farming Simulator 17 for when I'm not in VR or playing PUBG, because I talked a few friends into buying this game in a drunken late night moment. Still can't figure out why I play this damn game but I do.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12251 on: December 28, 2017, 10:59:46 PM

wat
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #12252 on: December 28, 2017, 11:39:12 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12253 on: December 29, 2017, 07:28:56 AM

I thought I was bad with Euro Truck Simulator but... wow.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12254 on: December 29, 2017, 07:41:36 AM

So can like, somebody create an MMO that just takes all these games and binds the code?  So people from around the world can spend all day farming corn, then other people spend all day driving it across country, and other people spend all day driving a virtual forklift in a warehouse to stack it? 

Maybe have the in game currency be Opioids?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #12255 on: December 29, 2017, 07:55:09 AM

Kentucky Simulator?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12256 on: December 29, 2017, 08:40:09 AM

So can like, somebody create an MMO that just takes all these games and binds the code?  So people from around the world can spend all day farming corn, then other people spend all day driving it across country, and other people spend all day driving a virtual forklift in a warehouse to stack it? 

Maybe have the in game currency be Opioids?

I think Chris Roberts beat you to that idea.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12257 on: December 29, 2017, 09:07:46 AM

Thing is, just hook it up to cameras and remote robotic vehicles. BAM charge a monthly fee to do menial jobs. Winning. Merica great again. Your welcome.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12258 on: December 29, 2017, 09:33:37 AM

Kentucky Simulator?

You laugh, but I'd play it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #12259 on: December 29, 2017, 09:54:28 AM

Kentucky Simulator?
You laugh, but I'd play it.
I don't think virtual heroin simulator sounds very fun. Though a game mechanic of cutting to your desktop but disabling any control is interesting.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12260 on: December 31, 2017, 12:42:08 PM

Having only just managed to complete and finish up Subnautica to my satisfaction, I've now been thrust into The Long Dark by the kindness of strangers.

Christ, another survival game that's just sucking the life out of me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12261 on: December 31, 2017, 01:01:20 PM

I think Subnautica is my favorite of all the survival games so far, but Long Dark is right up there also.

Actually, I think The Forest potentially is the best, but it kept scaring the fuck out of me.  That's not a good reason to stop playing a game, but here we are.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12262 on: December 31, 2017, 01:44:45 PM

Shit, I know I'm going to regret this ;  what's The Forest ?

schild
Administrator

Reply #12263 on: December 31, 2017, 02:17:55 PM

subnautica is rad

but feels kinda eh, it needs more

the forest is horrifying, from the setting alone. with no scares it is still horrifying. I need to play it more.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12264 on: December 31, 2017, 02:55:47 PM

I haven't played the Forest, but it looks like a more basic version of 7 Days to Die?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12265 on: January 01, 2018, 02:35:09 AM

Its in a playable Alpha state to be released in 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forest_(video_game)

In The Forest, the player must survive on a forested peninsula after a plane crash, during which a "cannibal" is seen taking the player's son away. The player survives by creating shelter, weapons, and other survival tools. Inhabiting the island, along with various woodland creatures, are a tribe of nocturnal, cannibalistic mutants who dwell in villages on the surface and in deep caves beneath the peninsula. While they are not necessarily always hostile to the player, their usual behavior is aggressive, especially during the night.[3] However, the developers want players to question whether the island's cannibalistic tribe is the enemy of the player, or vice versa.[3] For example, when first encountering the player, the cannibals may hesitate to attack and instead observe the player from a distance, attempt to communicate with the player through effigies, and send patrols around the player's base camp. In combat, they regularly attempt to protect one another from injury, remove torches, surround the player, hide behind cover, drag wounded tribesmen to safety, keep their distance, use tactical decisions, not overextend into unknown territory, and occasionally surrender out of fear. They are also afraid of fire, and will sometimes refrain from approaching the player if there is a campfire or torch nearby. Though there are no set missions, there is an optional conclusion to the game.[4] As the player progresses through the game and explores the caves underneath the forest surface, he will encounter increasingly bizarre mutations, including deformed babies and mutants with several extra appendages.

The game features a day/night cycle, with the player able to build a shelter and traps, hunt animals and collect supplies during the day, and defend themselves against the mutants by night.[5]

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12266 on: January 01, 2018, 02:50:57 AM

Picked up Everspace during the winter sale.  It's a fun roguelike lightweight space shooter that I'm having some fun with.  That said, it became something else entirely when I ran it in VR, so now I'm eyeing HOTAS setups because I wanna play Elite Dangerous this way.

Wait, is the VR implementation actually any good?  I'd heard it was problematic. .

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12267 on: January 01, 2018, 09:17:22 AM

Picked up Everspace during the winter sale.  It's a fun roguelike lightweight space shooter that I'm having some fun with.  That said, it became something else entirely when I ran it in VR, so now I'm eyeing HOTAS setups because I wanna play Elite Dangerous this way.

Wait, is the VR implementation actually any good?  I'd heard it was problematic. .

If you're referring to Everspace, I haven't had any issues - it seems to work fine for me.  I can look around freely in the simulated cockpit (this changes dogfighting immensely!) and the text for all of the UI elements is large enough to read clearly.  For what it's worth, I'm using a Lenovo Explorer (WMR) headset powered by an OC'd GTX1070.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12268 on: January 01, 2018, 05:34:05 PM

I haven't played the Forest, but it looks like a more basic version of 7 Days to Die?
Maybe sort of?  I just loaded 7 Days to Die and put a little time into it.  I guess because it has skill points its more complicated in that regard.  Base building in the forest is pretty robust, but probably not as much 7d2d either.

But The Forest (which I haven't played in a year or two, so I'm sure its been updated even more) is way better crafted.  From the graphics, art style, and setting.  The Forest feels like a horror game and there is a constant sense of dread, fear, and tension the whole time I played it.  The way the enemies stalk you and interact with you is genuinely creepy.  7D2D felt like playing minecraft.  This is not to slam 7D2D at all, seems like a fun game.  Just trying to emphasize the big differences between them.  The long dark is far more basic then either of them, but has a good theme/atmosphere.
subnautica is rad

but feels kinda eh, it needs more

the forest is horrifying, from the setting alone. with no scares it is still horrifying. I need to play it more.
When was the last time you played Subnautica?  I played it not to long after it came out on steam, and had fun with it.  Then I played it again earlier this year, and they had added a ton into it (like, it actually has a plot and some objectives direct you to various areas of the game now).  I'm sure they've added even more now since I last played.  It still needs more fleshing out (and god knows how long it will take to get it to a complete state), but it gets better all the time.  But yeah, even now, still needs more there there.

-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #12269 on: January 01, 2018, 07:37:37 PM

Probably a month ago if that.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12270 on: January 02, 2018, 12:55:02 AM

I managed to free the Overlords babies and make a lovely seabase near pod 5 and then another lovely seabase in the lost river tree area.  Yeah, sure, it could do with MORE there, but what is there is awesome and well worth it.

I purchased and installed The Forest.  Then I spent a couple of hours shitting my pants. 

Deary me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12271 on: January 02, 2018, 06:43:45 AM

Maybe sort of?  I just loaded 7 Days to Die and put a little time into it.  I guess because it has skill points its more complicated in that regard.  Base building in the forest is pretty robust, but probably not as much 7d2d either.

But The Forest (which I haven't played in a year or two, so I'm sure its been updated even more) is way better crafted.  From the graphics, art style, and setting.  The Forest feels like a horror game and there is a constant sense of dread, fear, and tension the whole time I played it.  The way the enemies stalk you and interact with you is genuinely creepy.  7D2D felt like playing minecraft.  This is not to slam 7D2D at all, seems like a fun game.  Just trying to emphasize the big differences between them. 

That sounds pretty good. More interesting AI is definitely a weak point for 7D2D. On the other hand it has minibikes (and soon cars), guns and post-apoc traps.

Still, I'll put the Forest back on the list, since I like atmospheric games a lot.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12272 on: January 02, 2018, 06:45:29 AM

I thought I was bad with Euro Truck Simulator but... wow.
Rented a server for Farming Simulator 17 for when I'm not in VR or playing PUBG, because I talked a few friends into buying this game in a drunken late night moment. Still can't figure out why I play this damn game but I do.
I would think both those games would be better with VR. Though I wonder about the scale with Euro Truck, it seemed a bit jonky when I was playing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12273 on: January 02, 2018, 07:55:18 AM

Euro Truck isn't going to show you real street maps in cities and shit but it is oddly relaxing.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12274 on: January 02, 2018, 08:38:28 AM

Euro Truck isn't going to show you real street maps in cities and shit but it is oddly relaxing.
I just meant the truck seemed huge compared to the roads (I've never driven an 18-wheeler, but I used to drive a bus and rock truck when I was in road construction). I know they dumb the maps themselves down a great deal, can't be helped.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12275 on: January 02, 2018, 08:43:52 AM

I managed to free the Overlords babies and make a lovely seabase near pod 5 and then another lovely seabase in the lost river tree area.  Yeah, sure, it could do with MORE there, but what is there is awesome and well worth it.

I purchased and installed The Forest.  Then I spent a couple of hours shitting my pants.  

Deary me.

Yeah, that's an apt description.   why so serious?

Also, I see Subnautica added a ton more stuff since I last played.  Looks like the game is close to release state.  Really happy, its one of the best things to ever come out of early access.

-Stephen Colbert
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #12276 on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:04 AM

Trying PUBG. Yeah this shit is fun (even if I had to reformat my HD and reinstall Windows just to get it to work).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12277 on: January 02, 2018, 09:51:43 AM

I think Subnautica might be only a few months out of actual release -- they just did a big graphics pass on the last patch.

I played the crap out of it way earlier in beta, but deliberately shelved it so I wouldn't burn myself out before release. Looking forward to diving back in. Ha ha.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12278 on: January 03, 2018, 02:55:27 AM

The changes that have been made to Subnautica make it a lot easier to get into and less of a 'grind' till you get to the good stuff.  The area changes are all good and add a lot.  The story is much better and flows better and makes sense.

At the moment, you can do it all except the final rescue stage, but I think the plan is for the actual release to put that in so that people paying and playing for the first time get a 'complete' game.

It does need more scope to be a bit more of a challenge and a wider experience, but I think the release will give you a quite satisfying little game that will keep you going for a while.

Now, on to The Forest and while it's fun and interesting, I'm finding that while Sub and Long Dark are very good at building the world and helping you out, Forest is just unbelievably BAD in the way it handles 'helping' you or easing you into the game or what the fuck is going on.

The Survival book is simply NOT enough ;  It really screams out for more flavour text to get you going or a tutorial or SOMETHING that's going to hold you a little more by the hand.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all setup now that I've watched 20 or so videos of chaps playing, but that shit really, really shouldn't be necessary.  It's annoying.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12279 on: January 03, 2018, 07:52:10 AM

That's an issue with 7 Days, too. It's got a lot of really great explorer and tower defense gameplay, but it takes a lot of hours into the game to learn its quirks.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12280 on: January 03, 2018, 01:48:28 PM

I feel like I would find a survival game interesting if the people who played them weren't entirely misanthropic asshats who think they're the people who are going to win the Real Hunger Games whenever that happens.

Like, I'm pretty sure that a 350-lb guy whose main asset is being able to move via a keyboard and mouse and who has a sufficient lack of life to be online 24/7 is not going to do all that well in a real world context that requires negotiating with a wide variety of human beings who don't spend hours online, moving fast, actually having a body that gets tired in real-world ways, actually not being able to do stuff like build walls or buildings without other people, and so on.

But no survival game really models that, because it's not especially fun. Which is the problem--most of them are engines built around telling the dude who is always online and has fast keyboard reflexes and a set of Reddit friends that he is awesome.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12281 on: January 03, 2018, 04:49:36 PM

That's a pretty, uh, interesting interpretation of the genre.

I'd say it has nothing to do with that, and just that people like base building games.  See, Minecraft.  Since what you say would require a multiplayer game, and most people want to sit and play single player, we get the suspension of belief that one person can do this.  Because its fun.  I'd like to think the most athletic and social person in the world would design the games the same way.

-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12282 on: January 03, 2018, 07:43:25 PM

I'm thinking Rust, 7Days, Conan Exiles, DayZ etc.--persistent-world multiplayer survival. Minecraft seems to me something different, though there are certainly Minecraft servers that are more like this. But most of the Steam-available collective survival games basically bake the Hobbsean nastiness into the DNA of the world they build.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12283 on: January 04, 2018, 02:52:44 AM

Long Dark certainly ain't what you're describing.  It's entirely solo and fucking kills you very easily if you're an asshat.  Unforgiving isn't even the word.

Further, I find it rather educational, since Elena and I had many discussions of how best to survive the real world cold due to it.  (Also, in fairness, also due to the fact of where we live and it was fucking Baltic outside...)

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12284 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:30 AM

Yeah. The only problem I had with the Long Dark was that the intervals that you have to eat at and so on feel too fast, given how closely it's trying to simulate basic survival in difficult conditions. Though it's not wrong that human beings who have to get all their calories from wild food would have to constantly hunt for sustenance--that's the evolutionary price of having large brains, they burn massive amounts of energy relative to other mammals.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: