Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172860 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12075 on: September 26, 2017, 07:27:31 AM

I wouldn't describe it as arcady.  It still has a lot of complex systems, and the idea to shift the main game puzzle over to managing a vast supply chain of factories that need to produce all the parts and supplies for everything was an interesting and historically accurate idea.  The problem is that things are way unbalanced, and that factory management gamplay just doesn't feel as fun.  But the biggest crime is the AI, which may be the dumbest I have ever seen in any game.  It totally ruins it.  Everything is unplayable.

For me, HOI 1 was received fairly meh by everybody because of all the tiny micro managing.  Then they fairly quickly came out with HOI 2, which I felt did an amazing job of paving over all the nut kicking management and perfectly balanced micromanagement vs strategic game play vs fiddly bits.  I cannot even fathom how many hours I put into it back in the day.  Then they made HOI 3, which felt like they forgot what made HOI 2 a success, and dove head first back into making you research down to the specific chin strap an Italian light tanker used on his helmet in 1938.  I just had such a wtf reaction to it after HOI 2 that I didn't put much time into it.

Willing to give it another go though if they've updated it to include all the historical fun stuff (another reason I liked HOI 2).

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:13:28 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #12076 on: September 26, 2017, 02:11:54 PM

I am afraid the degree of detail and micro decision making is even greater in HOI 3 BlackICE than in the HOI1 C.o.r.e. mod. It's very attention consuming. You can automate alot of it by assigning the AI to do it for you, and it's almost decent at it. Almost. 

So if you can bare that, the historical fun stuff is very enjoyable. There is nothing like a meddling Hitler screaming at my generals for going too slow forward.

Is there hope that they will ever be able to fix the AI in HOI 4? Because then I might give it a go.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #12077 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:06 PM

Yes, I'm being killed all the time.  Or my cat is being killed or lost.  Sometimes I find his body in the middle of nowhere.  On a rock or behind some plants.  It's very depressing.  Thank God for Xanax.  Tomorrow I'm taking a break.  I don't know why it's making me so sad.  I have my real cats here and they're wonderful.  Just not wonderful enough, I guess.  All I can think about is my black game cat named Black Cat.  I have restarted this game seven times and never made out of the first town. 

Actually, there is co-op. If you need help, I can guide you along.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12078 on: September 27, 2017, 05:24:14 AM

I'm really enjoying Destiny 2.  The weapon changes were not properly explained to me; turns out they are not a problem at all so far.  Other than not so far being able to equip a rocket launcher and a sniper at the same time, but below level 20 that does not matter at all.

More progress on Mafia III which is very good.

Tried some Marvel Heroes Slapfight (Gazillion) and it kinda sucks.

Bought LEGO City Undercover a second time.  This is on PS4 and I believe will allow the familiar co-op that my wife and I enjoy.  Will play it as soon as we get some time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12079 on: September 27, 2017, 09:32:02 AM

Thanks, rk!  This last start over has lasted so far.  I did as suggested and stuck the cat in a corner with barrels blocking it's way out.  We'll see how that goes.  If it ends up not working, I'll let you hold my cat until it's safe.  :)

I am still finding the game good fun.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #12080 on: September 27, 2017, 03:18:01 PM

Got 5 friend keys for the final week of the Project 1v1 closed technical test if anyone is interested in having a go at it.

Project 1v1.  I haven't bothered playing it myself, so I have no clue if it's any good. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12081 on: September 30, 2017, 03:49:29 PM

Forza 7 is fucking rad on PC.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12082 on: October 03, 2017, 08:59:41 AM

Finally started the new DOOM!  I'm enjoying it.

Of course, I grew up on the originals and loved the highly controversial Doom 3 (aka "darkness simulator 2004") so this surprises no one.    DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12083 on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:27 AM

Just finished Zelda BOTW.  The ending left me disappointed.  I couldn't help wrapping up the game feeling that, despite it being a giant world with lots of different areas, that it was very bland and repetitive.  The base level bad guys were all roughly the same.  Side quests were essentially irrelevant.  The puzzles in the shrines were neat at first but felt as though they ran out of ideas for new and interesting puzzles as the game progressed.  And the running and climbing and weapons blowing up after 15 hits...... swamp poop

Overall pretty decent game though and I got my money's worth.  I give it a solid B, but it's a far cry from the GOAT label that I've seen thrown about on the internet. 

Now playing Total War:  Warhammer.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12084 on: October 03, 2017, 12:56:41 PM

Still chipping away at Zelda BotW.   I find it to be a fun way to blow 20-30 minutes when that's all I have.  I mostly just wander around aimlessly rather than follow any kind of quests.  I did manage to beat 2 of the beasts as I happened across them.  I also saw the one in the desert but I couldn't figure out how to get into the town so I wandered elsewhere.  There's still 4 or more major areas I haven't even been to yet.

Also playing Cuphead which is a whole bunch of fun, but seems awfully short.  I haven't finished it yet though, so maybe there is more to do afterwards (seems unlikely).

Hoping to knock out something off the backlog before I get into Destiny 2.  It's getting deep again.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12085 on: October 03, 2017, 01:11:46 PM

Bought my first two console games since the original xbox/gamecube era!

RDR and Madden 18  DRILLING AND MANLINESS I'm ready for November.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12086 on: October 04, 2017, 12:53:45 AM

Cuphead has lots of style but little substance. The controls are not tight enough and the level design is not tight enough for the difficulty level. Golf Story is a very charmin and neat little Mario GOlf-like RPG for the Switch and definitely worth he 15 bucks.

Cook Serve Delicious 2 is still great. If you liked the first one, definitely check out CSD 2.

I've played about the maximum of Everybody's Golf. Unlocked all courses but now the game gets continuously more grindy in a "please buy our real money currency" sort of way.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12087 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:52 PM

Picked up Soma and started it tonight. So far its pretty damn good, very atmospheric.

Hic sunt dracones.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12088 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:39 AM

GTA 5 online (PS4). I'm terrible at shooting and flying.

Thinking about playing Destiny 2, and wondering if I'd be any better shooting in that. Can a person play Destiny 2 without friends?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12089 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:53 AM

Actually playing a bit of GW2 lately. Not too seriously, there's just so much they throw at you, just taking a bit of a break from Forever Stranded.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12090 on: October 06, 2017, 02:15:14 PM

Thinking about playing Destiny 2, and wondering if I'd be any better shooting in that. Can a person play Destiny 2 without friends?

Destiny 1 played well as a solo play game if you don't mind a lot of grinding. Doing the bigger strikes (raids) etc requires a team or extreme overleveling. So, basically WoW.
It was also one of the smoothest playing console shooters I've ever played. I'll likely get 2 when my new box comes just for the solo experience.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12091 on: October 06, 2017, 02:18:11 PM

As a solo player in Destiny, I did my first strike the other night in a pickup group. We were successful and no one spoke a word to each other. Of course, I'm only level 11 so that may change but the first one did seem soloable.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #12092 on: October 08, 2017, 10:47:39 AM

Since there's an alpha of the Skyrim Script Extender 64-bit, there's now SkyUI for Skyrim Special Edition.  Which has led to me getting back into Skyrim for what must be the 'leventy-dozenth time.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12093 on: October 08, 2017, 11:13:54 AM

Finished off "Her Story" in a single playthrough. Gripping story, and creative.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12094 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:39 PM

Destiny 2, no friends.  Still fun.  No randos talked in Destiny 1 strikes (usually) and I played the shit out of them.  I do think I set my chat options to only hear my fireteam, though.  After some time, everyone knew what to do and we didn't need to argue with strangers to get the strike done.

Picked up Vermintide again in anticipating a friend, but schedules.  Played with some randos and they mostly do not talk.

LEGO City Undercover, PS4.

Completed all Steam achievements in all three HexCells games.

Maybe some other stuff, I don't know.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12095 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:58 PM

Loving the fuck out of DOOM still.  I got to the Hell level and wondered if they'd gotten Romero to come back to help with the concept art.

The aesthetic is retro, in the sense that it resembles a 90s album cover, not in the sense of everything being pixel art.  Like, if you sat a teenager in front of this game, they'd have no concept that it's a throwback to a simpler time.  But it is.  I'm circle-strafing cacodemons and gibbing imps to a metal soundtrack and it's like I'm eleven years old again.

It's like one of those family movies with double entendres aimed at the parents that go right over the kids' heads.

Heart

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12096 on: October 12, 2017, 07:30:56 PM

Cuphead turned me off a bit when the designer was raging all over the Internet because some reviewer wasn't sufficiently good at playing a game in that format, or some other dumb shit like that. Doesn't matter even if the reviewer is wrong, shut your trap about it. It never ends well if you get all pissy, not the least of which because it's likely that whatever you're getting pissy about is kind of accurate.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12097 on: October 12, 2017, 07:42:03 PM

I'm over games that are designed as "hard". I just won't purchase them anymore or even load them up if I get it as a tagalong in a Humble Bundle. I just don't have the chops anymore. Luckily Cuphead is a platformer to boot. My platformer ability only extends to modern Nintendo difficulty.

Still playing Divinity OS: 2. Very good game, it comes together a lot better than the first. I do not like the new armor system, however. My rogue seems to be the only character that can burst someone into crowd control range unless I'm fighting stuff that is underleveled. It's fun though when you can get into a decent groove and avoid high level enemies (level discrepancies are painful). Some lvl 15 mob one shot my entire lvl 12 party after I failed a persuasion check.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12098 on: October 13, 2017, 07:53:20 AM

Cuphead turned me off a bit when the designer was raging all over the Internet because some reviewer wasn't sufficiently good at playing a game in that format, or some other dumb shit like that. Doesn't matter even if the reviewer is wrong, shut your trap about it. It never ends well if you get all pissy, not the least of which because it's likely that whatever you're getting pissy about is kind of accurate.

From what I heard, the reviewer couldn't even make it past the tutorial.  I've heard Cuphead is hard but everyone else seems to think it was just the reviewer being bad at video games.  I don't expect video game reviewers or "journalists" to be pro level players but I do expect them to be at least as good as I am and other average, casual gamers.  It would be like me giving a review of someone's guitar playing when I can barely play myself.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12099 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:18 AM

Cuphead is a good game.  Hard games aren't for everyone, which is ok.  But the music, the style, the visuals and most of the boss designs are all really fun.  Even my kids like playing it.   When they get stuck, we hop on co-op and I help them out or they just watch a run through on YouTube.

The tutorial is not difficult.  The game does suffer from a bad initial controller layout that puts jump and air dash both on face buttons, which I could see making things more difficult for inexperienced gamers (maybe even the 1 jump in the tutorial that requires an air dash).  10 seconds in the menu though and you put dash on a shoulder button and it's fine.

Also on the difficulty, I think there are a few kinds of difficulty and this is one of the fair/rewarding kinds where you learn the patterns and get better over time.  It's not like iwbtg where it's unfair and difficult just for the sake of being hard.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12100 on: October 14, 2017, 01:29:10 PM

Astroneer (on Steam) has a pretty substantial new update - the Excavation update.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2139632606718494271

This is one of my favorite little Steam titles to hop in and out of. The scenery and music are quite relaxing, and it scratches a minecrafty exploration/crafting itch.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12101 on: October 14, 2017, 02:05:26 PM

From what I heard, the reviewer couldn't even make it past the tutorial.  I've heard Cuphead is hard but everyone else seems to think it was just the reviewer being bad at video games.  I don't expect video game reviewers or "journalists" to be pro level players but I do expect them to be at least as good as I am and other average, casual gamers.  It would be like me giving a review of someone's guitar playing when I can barely play myself.

That reviewer is Dean Takahashi.  Honestly, the critics are right.  You can't be as bad as he is at games and claim some sort of authority when it comes to critique.  

Well...  Clearly you can, but expecting anyone to respect your position in the face of video evidence of your incompetence may be a bridge too far.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:13:38 PM by MisterNoisy »

schild
Administrator

Reply #12102 on: October 14, 2017, 02:16:49 PM

Takahashi has always been the Kotaku writer that ended up at the wrong outlet.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12103 on: October 14, 2017, 02:28:18 PM

Watching the rest of the game 'journalist' community circle the wagons around Takahashi after that video dropped was hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:36:49 PM by MisterNoisy »

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12104 on: October 15, 2017, 02:16:02 PM

From what I heard, the reviewer couldn't even make it past the tutorial.  I've heard Cuphead is hard but everyone else seems to think it was just the reviewer being bad at video games.  I don't expect video game reviewers or "journalists" to be pro level players but I do expect them to be at least as good as I am and other average, casual gamers.  It would be like me giving a review of someone's guitar playing when I can barely play myself.

That reviewer is Dean Takahashi.  Honestly, the critics are right.  You can't be as bad as he is at games and claim some sort of authority when it comes to critique.  

Well...  Clearly you can, but expecting anyone to respect your position in the face of video evidence of your incompetence may be a bridge too far.

"Is this a newborn horse's first time gaming?" awesome, for real

He got criticized for posting a negative review of Mass Effect years ago and had to amend it later with a big dish of crow because he didn't know how to play and didn't assign any of talent points.
And apparently if you criticize his lack of gaming skills, then you are a racist and a member of the alt right.  I didn't even know what the guy's name was or that he was Japanese until today.  LoLGamesJournalism at it's finest. Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:27:35 PM by Ginaz »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12105 on: October 17, 2017, 06:50:13 AM

In case you do not have a kid in grade school right now, anyone who criticizes anyone for anything is a neo-nazi racist piece of shit.  Victim mentalities are the new "everyone gets a trophy".

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12106 on: October 23, 2017, 06:52:10 PM

Stick Fight: The Game is another lightweight fighty thing that's great for get-togethers with people that play games.  It's super dumb and super fast and everyone has a good time.  If you already have Duck Game, it's skippable though.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12107 on: October 24, 2017, 03:57:12 AM

I'm playing Divinity 2. I like it better than the first one. Combat does require a lot of attention, though, every single time.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12108 on: October 24, 2017, 04:43:15 AM

Cogmind.

It's interesting.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #12109 on: October 25, 2017, 10:54:44 AM

Mudding. I realized that with the older player base and smaller one that the amount of asshats is siiiiiiignificantly lower on a MUD. Who needs graphics.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: