Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2195566 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4865 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:49 AM

It all just takes a lot of time.  At least it did with the Dwarf Fortress ones I did.  With the limited amount of time I have now, I just don't think I could do one.  My job was really easy at the time too.  awesome, for real

And with Dwarf Fortress ,it can get a bit difficult.  You're not always assured to have an interesting session, and you have to try and look for the story in the chaos.  It makes your play sessions a bit more strucutred than they normally are.  Plus, you need to stop early to organize your screenshots and write them up before you forget it all.

The first one I did for WoW had no screenshots and I just took notes as I played while my Worgen ran around. The one I'm doing for Oblivion is taking that style with more screenshots and less expositional writeup because you can see the dudes in question. Plus I get to make fun of the faces in Oblivion.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #4866 on: July 21, 2011, 10:26:10 AM

I'm mostly painting miniatures this week, but I did play Transformers War for Cybertron a bit. It's a competent game, but the best part is that it's basically reliving your childhood. I'm disappointed that Megatron doesn't transform into a P38.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:41:56 AM by jakonovski »
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #4867 on: July 21, 2011, 11:15:56 AM

Back to Dominions 3 yet again, greatest TBS ever, now almost 5 years old, though there was a recent patch a few months back, bringing it up to v3.27. Having fun with just SP, toggling various random settings (maps & game settings)…

And this deck building" game on my iPad.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer, is the first officially licensed deck building card game for iOS. Play alone or with friends to battle against the Fallen One for honor and victory. Conceived and designed by three Magic the Gathering tournament champions, Ascension will provide hours of engaging and strategic game play for enthusiast and experienced gamers alike.

Have only played a few games -- I don't know about "deck building" as there are just a set number of cards, but it is a better than Dominion. Also, it's only $5…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4868 on: July 21, 2011, 12:36:37 PM

Dominions 3 should have a fight with Dwarf Fortress for the "worst interface ever" championship.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4869 on: July 21, 2011, 02:36:23 PM

Dominions 3 should have a fight with Dwarf Fortress for the "worst interface ever" championship.

DF would win.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4870 on: July 21, 2011, 02:54:15 PM

It's completely intuitive once you've lost your mind playing it.

-Rasix
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #4871 on: July 21, 2011, 03:36:23 PM

Eh, interface is functional -- function keys work similar to how they do in Civ, you can drive easily with click, right click and hotkeys. Late game, on large maps, micro can get to be madness when you have 50+ commanders in your capital and clusters scattered about the map… …but even then, hotkeys can quickly cycle through your commanders…

The battle sprite graphics blow chunks, and the graphic presentation in general is poor, but it's good enough to see and distinguish your pieces and map terrain and features…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4872 on: July 21, 2011, 03:37:32 PM

Every single thing you click on in the game, right or left, is the opposite of how it is in every other game. Just to be different I guess.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #4873 on: July 21, 2011, 03:50:43 PM

Picked up 'Bastion' on XBL last night and played a bit of that. I am really loving the artstyle and the dynamic narrator as you play is awesome. 

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4874 on: July 21, 2011, 04:19:21 PM

It all just takes a lot of time.  At least it did with the Dwarf Fortress ones I did.  With the limited amount of time I have now, I just don't think I could do one.  My job was really easy at the time too.  awesome, for real

And with Dwarf Fortress ,it can get a bit difficult.  You're not always assured to have an interesting session, and you have to try and look for the story in the chaos.  It makes your play sessions a bit more strucutred than they normally are.  Plus, you need to stop early to organize your screenshots and write them up before you forget it all.

These are two big factors which I was very aware of while doing my Half-Life 2 thing before Radicalthons were invented.  The number of screens I took was obscene, and so the format was more or less a screenshot-walkthrough with captions.  It took for-fucking-ever, even if you discount me the time I took resizing the pictures to fit into the F13 format at the time.

Another problem is that I don't think I have the jokes in me anymore.  I don't find things funny as much as I once did.  Being burned out from work sucks.  I'd just be like: "OK so here's Imoen.  Sigh."  I will just have to accept that the HL2 review is my Purple Rain.  I'll stick to posting image macros until I can get another job.

To keep on topic:

Saint's Row.  10% completion.

Plants vs Zombies, mostly co-op with the boy and grinding money to buy things from Dave.

Order of Ecclesia.  The "hidden exit" wasn't so hidden, I would have found that shit even if I wasn't tipped of that it exists.  Not like the inverted castle, which I think large numbers of people missed in SotN because, really, who would wear the goggles during the boss fight with Shaft?  Not many, I think.  Hell, I only found out this year that I didn't have to keep the Shield Rod equipped in order to continue getting its benefits.  The Alucard Shield + Shield Rod is game-breaking though, so not having a sword equipped wasn't terrible.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4875 on: July 21, 2011, 09:37:29 PM

I waited and waited and the Borderlands full bundle finally went on sale for $15 on PSN. I'm liking the presentation so far. Is there a way to set auto-loot? Pressing ¨¨square on each object slows the game down.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #4876 on: July 22, 2011, 06:59:09 AM

I really, really wish there was.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4877 on: July 22, 2011, 07:01:25 AM

Every single thing you click on in the game, right or left, is the opposite of how it is in every other game. Just to be different I guess.

You don't know how much I have to bring this up in my day to day. "Stop being different just to be different". Sometimes its like pulling teeth with some people.

I waited and waited and the Borderlands full bundle finally went on sale for $15 on PSN. I'm liking the presentation so far. Is there a way to set auto-loot? Pressing ¨¨square on each object slows the game down.

Hold down "E"? ( or whatever it is on PS3 ).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:40:48 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4878 on: July 22, 2011, 07:37:14 AM

Only be different when it's of significant benefit.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4879 on: July 22, 2011, 09:45:35 AM

You don't really want auto loot. You will reach a point quickly where any gun worth under a certain value threshold just gets left there.

Hold down E when not highlighting a weapon. Important distinction. Holding down the loot button on ammo or money will grab it and everything within reach of it. Holding down loot on a weapon will grab it and equip it - which is really annoying.

Don't think I ever used that feature on purpose.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4880 on: July 22, 2011, 10:07:06 AM

Holding down loot on a weapon will grab it and equip it - which is really annoying.
It's been a long time, but I think there was an option to disable that feature.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4881 on: July 22, 2011, 01:17:04 PM

You don't really want auto loot. You will reach a point quickly where any gun worth under a certain value threshold just gets left there.

I agree, I was just answering the question.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4882 on: July 22, 2011, 06:08:37 PM

I'm familiar with the mechanics, and if you hold on monies then you will get other nearby monies.  Same for ammo, and separate.  When avoiding this on weapons, I find the area looting to have a rather small area.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4883 on: July 22, 2011, 08:37:04 PM

I'm mostly painting miniatures this week, but I did play Transformers War for Cybertron a bit. It's a competent game, but the best part is that it's basically reliving your childhood. I'm disappointed that Megatron doesn't transform into a P38.

Nice work. Looks like a late-RT/Early 2nd Ed miniature, too. Before they got all goofy.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #4884 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:47 PM

Another problem is that I don't think I have the jokes in me anymore.  I don't find things funny as much as I once did.  Being burned out from work sucks.  I'd just be like: "OK so here's Imoen.  Sigh."

I remind myself to be thankful for the fact that WUA is a raging manchild, who says the most random and awesome shit, daily.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #4885 on: July 25, 2011, 12:48:08 PM

Trying to slog through Assassin's Creed.  God damn this game.  I'm not sure why I resisted getting this game for so long, but once I finally started playing it, I realized it was like a million cool little ideas that I love all put in to one game.  Played for a minute, and thought it was going to be one of my favorite games of all time.  Then they introduced some annoying bits.  Then they introduced more annoying bits.  Then they kept introducing annoying bits.  Now it's a race to beat it before I get sick of it.  I'm praying that AC2 implements some of this stuff in a way that doesn't make me want to put my fist through the wall, because there are some cool ideas buried in here, but holy fuck.  It's like it's specifically designed to piss me off.

Playing Fallout: New Vegas, too, and not liking it as much as 3 for some reason.  Partly it's just the environment (for some reason, hardcore mode is killing the immersion for me), partly it's the difficulty (I pissed off the Legion and man, those guys do not fuck around), partly it's the story which so far is weak as hell (but I hear people raving about it, maybe it picks up later).

edit:  Okay, beat AC.  Continuing the downward spiral, the game saved the worst for last, finishing with one of the most retarded non-endings I've ever seen.  Seriously, fuck this game.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:58:32 AM by Kail »
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4886 on: July 25, 2011, 02:19:19 PM

FWIW, the lamprey-like beggars and super-strong idiots have been removed in AC2, and travel is much nicer.   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #4887 on: July 26, 2011, 07:10:11 AM

Nice work. Looks like a late-RT/Early 2nd Ed miniature, too. Before they got all goofy.

Thanks! The guy is part of a blister pack I bought in '89 I think. It was released in '88.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4888 on: July 26, 2011, 09:00:00 AM

A hint for FO: New Vegas. You'll really need the different ammo types. Fighting Legion assasination teams or Deathclaws is much easier with armor piercing ammo.

Right now those legion teams are mere annoyances (albeit lucrative ones when I sell all of their stuff)

Also sneak attack hits are automatic criticals, Gobi Campaign sniper rifle, sneak + AP ammo = instant death even for deathclaws.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #4889 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:05 PM

Also, hollow point ammo is great for cazadores.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4890 on: July 26, 2011, 01:51:51 PM

Living anatomy perk will help you a great deal in trying to figure out what ammo to use on things.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #4891 on: July 26, 2011, 04:08:11 PM

Been playing some more Black Prophecy, no more crashes now that I've updated my video drivers, set graphics to medium, and they've patched a bit. I like the dog-fighting but the level grind looks to be long and the game has a worse itemization than Mass Effect. I've been enjoying the instanced pve missions and the jobs that take you to open pvp zones haven't resulted in continual camping by higher levels. There's not much more to the game than dog-fighting though.

The one thing that really bugged me was that the prologue missions/tutorial have such a terrible story line.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4892 on: July 26, 2011, 09:56:16 PM

Just beat InFamous1 on Hard/Evil.  I'm at 90% trophies for it and I don't think I can grind the last 10% out.  The game kinda shuts down the massive amounts of enemies once complete, so trying to finish off stunts or grind my last powers out is just frustrating. 

I'm about 20% into my good Infamous2 run, I might start an evil one to play right beside it now that I can port my save. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4893 on: July 26, 2011, 11:25:56 PM

Picked up Catherine today and fired it up for an hour or so. The puzzle gameplay is actually pretty fun; my biggest complaint with the game so far is the lack of a japanese void option. Shaking fist The story is cool so far, in that (besides the nightmare stuff) it presents a pretty realistic, modern social situation in a mature way.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4894 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00:28 AM

Been playing some more Black Prophecy, no more crashes now that I've updated my video drivers, set graphics to medium, and they've patched a bit. I like the dog-fighting but the level grind looks to be long and the game has a worse itemization than Mass Effect. I've been enjoying the instanced pve missions and the jobs that take you to open pvp zones haven't resulted in continual camping by higher levels. There's not much more to the game than dog-fighting though.

The one thing that really bugged me was that the prologue missions/tutorial have such a terrible story line.

Huh, I thought it was rather cool TBH. I hope they add more to this game, thought the flight and combat is top notch.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4895 on: July 27, 2011, 06:24:17 AM

It bugged the hell out of me, as I was flying on these forced missions thinking "I've got a bad feeling about this".

I'd have rather seen a frame job, or less obvious set-ups at least.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4896 on: July 27, 2011, 10:05:56 AM

Wife is playing Dungeon Siege III while I watch.  I am playing Divinity II while she watches.

Recently played some Castle Crashers for mindless fun.  Oddly, I seem to be much better at it this time.  I credit Demon's Souls.

GT5 a bit more, got to the final test for the IC license before the time burglars got home.

Bastion.  Harder than I expected but very cool.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4897 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:07 AM

Picked up Catherine today and fired it up for an hour or so. The puzzle gameplay is actually pretty fun; my biggest complaint with the game so far is the lack of a japanese void option. Shaking fist The story is cool so far, in that (besides the nightmare stuff) it presents a pretty realistic, modern social situation in a mature way.

Downloaded the demo. I've been looking forward to this game for a while, but when I learned it was a puzzle game on top of a romance simulator, I got kind of worried that I wouldn't like it. Puzzle games aren't generally my bag. The demo has the first two levels. The puzzle game stuff is actually really fun and the art design is really fucked up and weird in a cool way. It's definitely one of those I play on getting when it's cheaper.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #4898 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:26 PM

I'm still playing War for Cybertron and not much else. An under appreciated gem, this game.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4899 on: July 28, 2011, 02:04:50 PM

Order of Ecclesia instead of sleep.  I'm dumb but I need Fire and Holy at five digits so Nitesco becomes badass.

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: