Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 632640 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1890 on: November 10, 2012, 07:06:54 AM

Most beginning guitar lessons usually have you learning some basic chord shapes and basic strumming patterns first. Rocksmith is weird to me, as somebody who can already fiddle around a bit on a guitar, in that it starts you off teaching these weird hybrid single note rhythm/melody lines. Not sure that's a good way to learn proper guitar technique. In any event, it can help to learn one hand well before learning the other, instead of trying to learn both at once. I.e. for a song learn the fingerings first (especially the hand shifts) and don't worry so much about the picking the strings in time or learning the string pickings first and then learning the fingerings.
The weird thing is, this sounds like how I learned to play. I didn't know real chords until I had been playing a couple years. Hell, I didn't learn a power chord for at least six months after my band had been playing, we all started together. We just made single note melody covers of Priest and AC/DC songs, then mostly did originals because the covers were so bad. This ended up being awesome because it was natural for us to write music.

Anyway. Learning by playing along with albums is a valid way to do it. I'm still a weak strum player and go for broken inverted chords played in finger arpeggios and weird stuff like that as a natural thing. Takes all kinds.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1891 on: November 11, 2012, 05:48:33 PM

I've been doing pretty well of late.  Work stuff has limited some of my practice time but like other beginners I was destroying the tips of my fingers (mostly nerve damage), so it's helped to take a break.  I've been taking a pretty traditional/musical approach though.  It's a bit more work but since I've already got a musical background it'll definitely pay dividends later on.  It's for these reasons my Rocksmith hasnt even been opened yet. (as my fingers just cant take the abuse, even on a nylon and it's EXTREMELY important to understand classical guitar notation if you can)

Anyways, right now I'm using very abbreviated "pumping nylon" warmup techniques and a VERY beginning classical guitar method book by Lenard pub.  Unlike some other methods (like the Mel Bay) they're focusing more on understanding the notation and fingerings in melody/baseline.  Chords arent even a part of the picture yet; which to me is smart.  You can't learn chords well w/o understanding the notes behind them first.  Also, it's more important in a classical imo to get used to playing baselines first rather than chords.  And good right-hand technique is imperative to learn from the start.

I WAS using a generic guitar book method but I started to realize that I was getting into bad habits (like a weak right-hand) and immediately moved to the strictly classical method (albeit a modern technique).  Once that book is done, which is basically just getting you through all the strings maybe halfway up the neck,   I'll start focusing more on the technique book (pumping nylon) and mastering chords with my chord workbook.  And TRY to work through the classical solos book.

The best time I've had so far is showing up at my mom's for the first time with my guitar and dueting with her as she played her new Hohner accordion.  I'm really regretting not picking up the instrument earlier in my life.  Helluva useful thing to know how to play, and very gratifying.  I believe Beethoven said "the guitar is like a small orchestra."  He aint lyin.

Anyways, for you non-classical pickers I highly recommend the other method book I was using.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RQ73GQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0881881392&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VG0V33DAT75N6W2KRVK

If you're goin classical I'd stay away from it until you've got your basic techniques down; then you can dip into it for other guitar techniques.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1892 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:24 AM

2.  I still just can't pick fast enough most times.  I don't have the muscle memory at all so I have to think my way through everything.  Starting to get a glimpse of better things to come.....sort of.

This is kind of like playing along with albums. At some point, you need to back off and learn to play things slowly. If there is a complex or difficult section you can't play to speed, break it down into pieces and learn them slowly and individually. Then string them together slowly. Then work on bringing it up to speed. Clean playing is better than fast playing. This last sentence is 'do as I say, not as I did', because I totally played fast and sloppy when I was a kid.

Totally this. Trying to play everything at actual speed is part of what discouraged me as a younger kid trying to learn to play. Now that I've picked it back up, I've realized you have to learn to play the notes well before you can play them fast. Doesn't mean I don't just hammer away some nights but it's mostly as a way to build up finger dexterity more than learning to play a particular stretch fast.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1893 on: November 21, 2012, 07:13:44 PM

I've learned that it's much easier to play/learn if my sheet music is orientated so I can somewhat see my hand and fretboard.  This means keeping the stand and music off to the left a bit.  It's a bit tough getting used to looking to the left, but my unconscious mind has an easier time telling my fingers what to do w/o relying solely on muscle memory.  I leave my right hand to fend for itself.

Coming from a woodwind background, it's the main reason why it's technically simpler to blow through a method book on a wind instrument (assuming you have the chops) then it is on guitar, because one can always see their fingers unless they're playing something like flute.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1894 on: November 21, 2012, 09:33:17 PM

When I'm playing sheet music, I never look at the guitar. When I'm playing from memory, I look at the guitar a lot. It's weird.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1895 on: November 24, 2012, 10:20:06 AM

You're not actually looking at the guitar, just keeping it in your line-of-sight.  It's a subconscious thing.  Eventually the fingers will move on their own anyways, and 'thinking' just gets in the way.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1896 on: November 24, 2012, 12:10:39 PM

Ok.
craan
Terracotta Army

... . ...br.. . ..br. . ...br

Reply #1897 on: November 24, 2012, 05:11:24 PM

So I finally noticed this thread awhile ago and have been slogging through it.  After about 10 pages I went out and got my first guitar.  I'm borrowing one of my brother's amps while he's at college.

I took 2 lessons from a local instructor but I didn't get along with him.  For whatever reason I am extremely slow at picking up finger positions and I just get more nervous and more derpy when I have to keep asking him to slow down and repeat things.  So I grabbed a few numbers for lessons from another music store.  I was going to start calling but stumbled across http://justinguitar.com/ and so far its right up my alley.  He's pretty clear and I can pause/go back, etc until I feel comfortable.

And I wanted to say thanks to Sky, stray, Miguel, Nebu, Raph, and everyone else (sorry, forgetting some names).  Almost all of the talk is way, way above my head but I like immersing myself in it.  Was interesting to wade through 50+ pages of this thread spanning a few years.

PWYWWYFSWLSOCA
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1898 on: November 26, 2012, 09:40:10 AM

I was going to start calling but stumbled across http://justinguitar.com/ and so far its right up my alley.  He's pretty clear and I can pause/go back, etc until I feel comfortable.

I've used some of his lessons myself. He's pretty good.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1899 on: November 26, 2012, 11:47:06 AM

And I wanted to say thanks to Sky, stray, Miguel, Nebu, Raph, and everyone else (sorry, forgetting some names).  Almost all of the talk is way, way above my head but I like immersing myself in it.  Was interesting to wade through 50+ pages of this thread spanning a few years.
Thumbs up!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1900 on: December 05, 2012, 05:40:40 AM

Sky, how in the crap nebula do you record an entire song on Classical w/o making a single goddamned mistake (whilst reading sheet music mind you, not playing by memory)?  It's frustrating.  Is it considered 'cheating' if I record in composite??   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Y'know, I'll hit a few lines perfect.  Stop recording.  Hit the next few lines.  Etc.  Then add em all together.   awesome, for real  

In other news, I've grown weary of my strings already (especially the G string) and ordered some new-fangled Dogal Diamantes.  Ever tried em?  I might just use em for the trebles, we'll see.  And I added an armrest so I can get bloodflow back into my arm.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Btw, if you're interested in armrests, definitely use this guy:
http://www.krisbarnettguitars.com/

I didnt put his custom armrest on this particular guitar (not worth it), but if you've got something fancy it seems like it'd definitely be worth it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:52:30 AM by Ghambit »

Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #1901 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:25 AM

Random guitar stuff.

My daughter has decided her old 3/4 classical is not for her, and keeps borrowing my Baby Taylor. Thinking of getting her one for Xmas.

A while back I mentioned I took the '62 Gibson Melody Maker in to get the electronics looked at. Well, they did a setup on it, and warned me that i would need to bring it back in within a couple of months to gt readjusted. Sure enough, it has developed a buzz on the G string at the 7th fret. And ONLY there. Sigh.

Also, the pickup in my Blueridge has stopped working. Which means that I am in the market for an acoustic guitar pickup to replace it with... given that this is my main guitar, I kind of want to put in something moderately nice. The commonest use of the pickup is as an additional signal when recording. Ideas? I do have a Dean Markley soundhole pickup laying around, but I would really prefer something that I can run to the existing hole for the jack (it's not at the pin, it's one of those where it's on the lower bout on the side).

I see a visit to Buffalo Bros in my near future...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1902 on: December 05, 2012, 12:13:19 PM

Also, the pickup in my Blueridge has stopped working. Which means that I am in the market for an acoustic guitar pickup to replace it with... given that this is my main guitar, I kind of want to put in something moderately nice. The commonest use of the pickup is as an additional signal when recording. Ideas? I do have a Dean Markley soundhole pickup laying around, but I would really prefer something that I can run to the existing hole for the jack (it's not at the pin, it's one of those where it's on the lower bout on the side).
What pickup is/was in there now? It sounds like you are already using an external mic(s) so you want something you can blend in with that? What kind of playing are you trying to record?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1903 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:43 PM

Sky, how in the crap nebula do you record an entire song on Classical w/o making a single goddamned mistake (whilst reading sheet music mind you, not playing by memory)?  It's frustrating.  Is it considered 'cheating' if I record in composite??   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Y'know, I'll hit a few lines perfect.  Stop recording.  Hit the next few lines.  Etc.  Then add em all together.   awesome, for real  

In other news, I've grown weary of my strings already (especially the G string) and ordered some new-fangled Dogal Diamantes.  Ever tried em?  I might just use em for the trebles, we'll see.  And I added an armrest so I can get bloodflow back into my arm.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Btw, if you're interested in armrests, definitely use this guy:
http://www.krisbarnettguitars.com/

I didnt put his custom armrest on this particular guitar (not worth it), but if you've got something fancy it seems like it'd definitely be worth it.
Hm. Lots of practice. My band was a live band, we played a LOT every day, several hours for us and a couple hours for fans, often blurring together. So that also influenced our recording, we used to use a boom box and just record full takes of a song. When we did our first demo, the jazz guy was impressed because we booked an hour and had everything in one take. We had enough time for a second take on one song we wanted to try a bit differently and still had time to mix it down. So I never really got into punching in and out, though I do like multitracking (like my version of Maggot Brain).

I'm using D'Addario Pro Arte. I think I'm on medium tension, I've been trying different sets but I do like the brand. Never considered an arm rest, though it now feels odd playing without a foot rest. I was playing the Gibson last night (the SG) and used my foot rest and left leg stance!

But to go back to your initial question...I'll let you know how to record an entire classical track without making a mistake when I actually do it :) That Capricho track I linked earlier is from memory, though...but you'd laugh if I tried to launch into the B section. It's played with a 3rd fret barre position for F major, which is just evil. I can barely play it at all, much less play it at speed, much less have it record-worthy.

Raph, I don't use pickups in my acoustics, sorry! But speaking of acoustic mics, how crappy is this mic? I almost bought it on black friday and I should have enough amazon reward points to buy it next month. I still need to raise the action on my guitar before I can record for reals, but it might also be nice to get a better-than-SM57 mic to record through.
Raph
Developers

Reply #1904 on: December 05, 2012, 05:45:13 PM

What pickup is/was in there now? It sounds like you are already using an external mic(s) so you want something you can blend in with that? What kind of playing are you trying to record?

If you go through the thread you can find many many examples of what I tend to record. :) Fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming. Stuff from fingerstyle pieces to percussive to folk rock and whatever else in between.

The pickup in it now is just some undersaddle piezo thing, no idea what exactly. It never sounded good until I got the Shenandoah Jr acoustic amp, and even then it still has that piezo sound to it.

Who knows, at some point I might actually play out, in which case I would like to have something that actually holds the tone of the wood.

Raph
Developers

Reply #1905 on: December 05, 2012, 05:53:12 PM

Raph, I don't use pickups in my acoustics, sorry! But speaking of acoustic mics, how crappy is this mic? I almost bought it on black friday and I should have enough amazon reward points to buy it next month. I still need to raise the action on my guitar before I can record for reals, but it might also be nice to get a better-than-SM57 mic to record through.

Well, the reviews call it comparable to an AT3035. You have heard stuff of mine on the 4033, which people say is comparable to THAT. :)

There are a lot of threads on gearslutz... here's one: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/397313-mxl-r44-large-ribbon.html

If you haven't used a ribbon or large condenser, be aware that sensitivity vs gain is a way different sort of issue from a 57... those mics will literally pick up something from the next house.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1906 on: December 05, 2012, 06:05:36 PM

Speaking of, how exactly would you go about getting rid of that buzzing on a particular string\fret combo?  I've got a spare guitar that is fun to play but it has a buzzing and bad vibration on the G string on about half of the frets.  It doesn't adversely invade the sound with the amp, but it sure is noticeable when I'm playing as I can feel it in my fingers and hands and it REALLY annoys me.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1907 on: December 05, 2012, 06:43:19 PM

Check the neck, but if it's just the G it's probably a bad fret or two, or maybe it's set too low at the bridge.

My alvarez has a hump that would do the elephant man proud, but it only really affects the high E string 10+...still enough to drive me insane. My bass also developed a buzz in storage that I need to track down someday.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1908 on: December 05, 2012, 11:18:49 PM

If you go through the thread you can find many many examples of what I tend to record. :) Fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming. Stuff from fingerstyle pieces to percussive to folk rock and whatever else in between.

The pickup in it now is just some undersaddle piezo thing, no idea what exactly. It never sounded good until I got the Shenandoah Jr acoustic amp, and even then it still has that piezo sound to it.

Who knows, at some point I might actually play out, in which case I would like to have something that actually holds the tone of the wood.
I'd go with a soundboard transducer like a K&K system or maybe a combo transducer and (internal) mic if you want to play live. However those systems typically come wired with their own endpin jacks and I'm not sure how hard it would be to modify one to connect through your existing side panel.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1909 on: December 06, 2012, 12:46:34 AM

It should be okay if you have a good preamp. Ribbon mics typically require more gain than a condenser or dynamic mic.
Raph
Developers

Reply #1910 on: December 06, 2012, 10:36:35 AM

Sky, what do you run into from the mic? Trippy is right that preamp is going to be important with a mic like that. For that matter, do you have phantom power?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1911 on: December 06, 2012, 11:29:24 AM

I plug mics into my little MR8HD mixer unit. It's got phantom on the XLR ins. I don't have it yet, but reading a bit about it I think I might.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1912 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:36 PM

So I tried out those carbon-nylon strings (the Diamantes).  They're made in Venice.  Could immediately tell the difference (so could the gf, and she's got no ear for music).  Much brighter trebles, fuller G, and lows that hit a bit harder though maybe not as expressive as the pro artes.   Also much longer sustain.  Since they're getting the same/better sound from lesser tension (even though they're rated medium or hard and at the same diameters as traditional strings) the soundboard is opened up too.  And they're much easier on my fingers.  I anticipate the bass getting better over time as well once they break in.

Give em a try.  You can get em from Strings By Mail.  Pricey though.  $20 for mine shipped.   Ohhhhh, I see.   You can even go higher tension if you'd like and get the same feel on your fingers as lesser tension.  Seems like a lotta folk are matching them with the pro arte basses, but I'm gonna give it a few months to work in before doing that.

Raph
Developers

Reply #1913 on: December 09, 2012, 08:32:55 PM

Shh, don't tell my daughter but I got her a Baby Taylor for Xmas.

In the process, tried out the GS Mini. Felt like an upgrade from the Baby, but a bit outside the budget given that I don't know if she'll stick with it.

Anyway, that's not why I am here, I did a new song and posted it up. First one I have posted in ages (have been holding back some of them, thinking of working towards another CD). So it's here, along with the chords and the words and all the recording details. Recorded some bits in kind of a hurry (vox especially)... so not the greatest mix.

But it's a song about ZOMBIE CHRISTMAS TREES!! So you must click.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/12/09/the-sunday-song-zombie-christmas-trees/

Direct MP3 link:

http://www.raphkoster.com/music/ZombieChristmasTrees.mp3
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1914 on: December 10, 2012, 08:04:39 AM

Recorded some bits in kind of a hurry (vox especially)... so not the greatest mix.

What are you, me? :)

You're an odd bird, Raph. It's a funny song, but the 'drums' were driving me nuts. All the stringwork, excellent as always.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1915 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:35 AM

Starting to get interested in guitar again, but still don't have time for it yet. This looks like fun though:

How to REALLY play Norwegian Wood on guitar like the Beatles

- Viin
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1916 on: December 10, 2012, 02:23:01 PM

Starting to get interested in guitar again, but still don't have time for it yet. This looks like fun though:

How to REALLY play Norwegian Wood on guitar like the Beatles

Anyone have the notation or tab for this?  I'm pretty much required to learn it now.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Damned Norwegian family.

This my fav. version btw:
PM Dawn
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:25:12 PM by Ghambit »

Raph
Developers

Reply #1917 on: December 10, 2012, 02:38:09 PM

You're an odd bird, Raph. It's a funny song, but the 'drums' were driving me nuts. All the stringwork, excellent as always.

I just striped down two generic drum loops from ACID, one with brushes and one with actual hits. They are pretty generic. :) I originally only had them in there as a metronome (I find I play MUCH better in time to actual drumming than to a click) and I just didn't take them out. And I used two so it cued me between parts of the song.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1918 on: December 10, 2012, 03:47:57 PM

In my dream setup I'd like to have enough tracks to play to a drum track and then once I've got a bunch of stuff down go back and play live drums over the top. I'm not great, but it's not horrid, either. Water-proofing the basement was a good (expensive) first step in that direction.

My mother is getting a Macbook Pro for xmas, so I'm 'setting it up' aka playing with it, mostly poking around garageband which is pretty nifty. I used Acid back in the day, it's similar to how I remember that interface as far as loops and stuff go. I'd love to hook that up to a decent sized mixer and put together a for-real small studio.
Raph
Developers

Reply #1919 on: December 11, 2012, 10:03:47 AM

I have been playing with migrating to Reaper fo a while now. Since I am on PC, GarageBand is not an option. Reaper is supercheap and very powerful.

ACID seems to be end of life at this point... no update in like five years.

Maybe you can lay down drum tracks for me. ;)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1920 on: December 11, 2012, 10:16:09 AM

If you are on PC's, try out Mixcraft. I bought it a while back and have been futzing around with it. I record guitar tracks with an M-Audio Fast Track using Guitar Rig for amps and effects, and Mixcraft for the recording software and virtual instruments. There are a shitton of free/low-cost VST plugins that work with it and it's every bit as good as GarageBand for $75. It comes with a really good set of virtual instruments, including a pretty decent set of drums styled as a heavy metal drum kit.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1921 on: December 11, 2012, 12:53:41 PM

My next step to a good studio is a killer, though. To mic a drum kit I need at least 6 XLR ins for the audio interface if I go DAW. Even now I only have 4 XLR simultaneous recording with the MR8HD.

Then mics, then a laptop, it adds up. Still, I hope to get something going in the next couple years. The classical project is a good start to give some focus. I think I will pick up one of those cheap ribbons sooner than later; I also have to get the guitar set up. Either have the local guru do it or practice on my cheap classical...I have to at least add a shim to the bridge, maybe even a new nut. I've just never done it.

Then there are legal things I'll have to look into if I want to start releasing stuff. Boo. More research :)
Raph
Developers

Reply #1922 on: December 12, 2012, 07:23:53 AM

There are no cheap  options for that many ins. Believe me, I looked.
Raph
Developers

Reply #1923 on: December 27, 2012, 06:49:53 PM

The Baby Taylor for the daughter was a hit :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1924 on: December 28, 2012, 06:38:04 AM

The Baby Taylor for the daughter was a hit :)
Of course it was! Those are really nice little guitars.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: